KGDBLU
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

I hate to be a pain, but....

[Post New]by KGDBLU on Mar 17, 15 5:16 PM
Ok, I guess I'll have to be a pain because I have several questions.

1. How does one achieve a balance between what is needed to complete quests and getting the monies to do so? I have collected and sold all the eggs and mushrooms I can find. I was flush with coin for only a short while. Now, I have to build a ship (!) and it will break me financially. Thoughts?

2. Where does one get the green potion necessary to defeat the necromancer in the crypt? I can't get it from the guy in the church as it seems I must deal with the necromancer first.

I hate need so much hand holding as I'm usually pretty good at this kind of game. HotK II is kicking my **** so I'll be relying on this forum for info. TIA.

KGDBLU
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

Re:I hate to be a pain, but....

[Post New]by KGDBLU on Mar 17, 15 5:26 PM
Found the green potion, but still need info on question 1. Thanks.

katejoe999
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by katejoe999 on Mar 17, 15 5:31 PM
Hi,

I finished side quests that gave me money.
You can also collect herbs and sell them.
Make sure you find all the crates and barrels, they have things you can sell as well.

The king helps out with ship too.

Good luck!

memawclay2
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

[Post New]by memawclay2 on Mar 17, 15 5:40 PM
Erm, did you already speak to the King and are you collecting the stars to increase your reputation? Your status really counts towards getting bargains and breaks from fellow citizens and merchants.
Other than that, hindsight will be your greatest tip on a replay.
Also be sure not to spend all your coin in one place or sell all your items in desperation. Keep some back as reserves and know that plenty of goodies are rewards for exploring, fulfilling peoples' requests and battling the spiders, snakes and zombies in the dark sewers and caverns.

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Mar 17, 15 7:35 PM
I always use caution as a guide when starting a game. I'm always afraid to get rid of anything at first, except the bare bones for living. I don't start any big quests, only do small ones that don't take lots of money until I get a real feel for what's going to take the most resources to do what and how I can get the most money for what.

In this game, you can make some handsome profits when you make and sell some items: gunpowder, for instance will bring a $49.00 profit and the poison potion a $30.00 profit each when you make and sell them. You have to be willing to do a bit of running around, but it's worth it, especially if you need to line your pockets.

Some things should be kept and the items made used - like the magic potion. You'll soon go broke if you buy it. Even when you run out of blue mushrooms, you can buy them from the smugglers and have the potion made cheaper.

The single biggest drain on the wallet I think are the mercenaries. You have to keep buying them are they are absolutely useless, as they keep getting killed off! . Rarely do you get any re-use out of a mercenary!

The potion you need for the Necromancer is yellow - a sun potion. You buy it from the bartender in the square. The green potion is poison and Norbert will teach you how to make it from pink mushrooms.

Edited on 03/17/2015 at 7:37:07 PM PST

KGDBLU
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by KGDBLU on Mar 17, 15 9:44 PM
Thanks all. I have made great strides in the game, but just realized I didn't kill the crocodile in the cave and I haven't the money for mercenaries.
I battled all the zombies, spiders, etc., and collected the money from the king. That all went towards the ship and it's provisions.
I feed the poor when I can afford it, and the herbs require bags and sickles...which in turn, require money. Oy. Perhaps they should have named this game Run Around Like Crazy and Try to Make Money.

jcballar
Guppy
Guppy
138 Posts

[Post New]by jcballar on Mar 31, 15 12:52 PM
Also selling things that must be made can lead to faster income. Although a hassle to make, a barrel of gunpowder costs ~$122*, and the smugglers underground near the cathedral will buy it for $230.

*based on price of wood after the sawmill is improved to two lines

Jip66
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by Jip66 on Apr 29, 15 8:34 AM
jcballar wrote:Also selling things that must be made can lead to faster income. Although a hassle to make, a barrel of gunpowder costs ~$122*, and the smugglers underground near the cathedral will buy it for $230.

*based on price of wood after the sawmill is improved to two lines

Sorry jcballar, either there has been an increase in taxes since you posted this in March, or you have got your figures muddled up, I'm going to have to correct you on this one:

1 Empty Barrel 14 Gold (General Store in Square)
1 Sulfur 85 Gold (Alchemist Supplies at Docks)
1 Sack of Coal 27 Gold (1 Wood (17 Gold) from Wood Seller in West Forest, turned into Charcoal by the Coaler at the Mercenary Stronghold (10 Gold))
3 Sacks of Manure 30 Gold (3 Empty Sacks (7 Gold each) from General Store in Square, plus 3 Gold per Empty Sack to fill with Manure, also each sack requires 3 Hearts X 3 sacks makes 9 Hearts total, so if you had to buy food for this 2 Fish from the Food seller in the Square giving 10 Heart at the camp near the Manure farm would cost you 12 Gold
25 Gold to Alchemist for mixing all together

Total cost of one Barrel of Gunpowder:
14+85+27+30+12+25=193 Gold
Mark, in the Basement at the Cemetery, will pay 230 Gold per Barrel, making a clear profit of 37 Gold

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on May 1, 15 11:37 PM
You don't count the labor (heart points) because you have to have the strength anyway and it's already been paid for.

This game is not about Gross Profit and High Finance. This is simple buy and sell. Otherwise, you would have to compute an average cost of strength for every action performed by the hero, based on total actions in the game that reduce strength, and then apply those numbers to all actions, such as walking, fighting, thinking, etc.

And what if he received the bags and barrels in crates? What if he caught the fish?
There are many variables.

The sum of the pieces = the whole. The price of the whole subtracted from the sale price = the profit.

It's a game.

Edited on 05/01/2015 at 11:41:31 PM PST

Go to: