lindaa1
Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

Making money

[Post New]by lindaa1 on Mar 18, 15 4:40 AM
In the West Forest (after you have helped the woodcutter he gives you cheaper wood). You can buy logs from him, take them south to the charcoal maker at the mercenary stronghold, then sell the charcoal to the blacksmith at a profit.

I think it works out at about 3 cash per log profit. It is a bit tedious but it at least you can build up a bit of money this way.

If anyone knows any other ways it would be great to know about them.

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

Re:Making money

[Post New]by Hespera on Mar 18, 15 8:07 AM
The highest profit in the game comes from making gunpowder and selling it to the smugglers - $49.00 for each barrel.

The next highest is making poison and selling it to the priest downstairs in the church - $30 for each potion.

After that is having the native on Salamander make crab soup then selling it to the gourmet - $22. (you have to supply the bowls, crabs and eggs).

You can make $25 each making and selling healing and magic potions, but you really need those two, so it's really NOT profitable to sell them.

You can make money on some individual items, but it rarely exceeds $5 each.

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Re: Making money

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Mar 18, 15 2:06 PM
My preferred method, which make about a 15% profit per pass, is this:

Buy grain at the Farm, take it to the Miller to grind into flour, have the baker (or their daughter) bake it into bread, sell the bread at the Castle's kitchen.

I can believe the Gunpowder makes more per pass, but I've tried it and it's a lot more trouble and running around. The above is simple (and boring) tho click-heavy.

Edited on 03/21/2015 at 10:25:45 AM PST

riefer
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by riefer on Mar 19, 15 6:22 PM
I agree most of the methods are too click-heavy. I use the wood -> coal one, makes about 5 gold per piece of wood. The nice thing is you can buy wood 5 at a time, so it's less clicky than making bread. And the guy who you buy wood from is only one screen away from the coaler, so that's just one click as well. The blacksmith will buy the coal and he's conveniently on the same screen as the coaler. By the time you get up to 50 bags of coal or so, you'll have about 1500 gold.

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Mar 20, 15 10:50 AM
I would buy bags and barrels at the town square, click the map to go to the farm for the manure, click the map & go to the West Forest for the wood, walk down for the charcoal, click the map & go to the docks for the sulfur and make the gunpowder, then click the map and go to the smugglers and sell. It seemed the easiest to me.

Then I'd celebrate with a fish dinner and sleep. You use heart points doing the most mundane things in this game. I didn't mind losing a few to make $50.00.

And the poison is even easier because you already have the bitter herbs and mushrooms with you (free) so you just go to Norbert in the West Forest and whip up a bunch at once for $5.00 each (+ the cost of the bag) and sell them for $30.00 profit. You don't need many poison potions during the course of the game.

One of the things that makes adventure games so interesting is how different people play them. It's the unique approaches that gives us all ideas.

Skrdykat
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by Skrdykat on Mar 20, 15 1:55 PM
Who buys healing and magic potions? I'm at the end, just trying to get to 3,000 gold.

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Mar 20, 15 9:40 PM
The priest downstairs in the church will buy both healing and magic potions.

riefer
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by riefer on Mar 21, 15 3:48 PM
@Hespera, totally agree with you. It's interesting to see how different peoples' personalities mesh with the game. For me, the time taken to dig for manure and to sleep is the killer. I hate just waiting there while the game takes its time. With the charcoal method, I'm interacting the whole time. That's why I prefer it, even though it has a lower return per item.

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Mar 23, 15 11:18 AM
GeorgeTSLC wrote:My preferred method, which make about a 15% profit per pass, is this:

Buy grain at the Farm, take it to the Miller to grind into flour, have the baker (or their daughter) bake it into bread, sell the bread at the Castle's kitchen.

I can believe the Gunpowder makes more per pass, but I've tried it and it's a lot more trouble and running around. The above is simple (and boring) tho click-heavy.

I don't understand the 15% profit when you are only making $1.00 per loaf:
$35.00 to buy 5 loaves. ($30 for grain+$5 to mill=$35.00 for 5 loaves=$7.00 per loaf)
Kitchen pays $8.00 per loaf ($24.00 for 3 loaves).

Edited on 03/23/2015 at 11:56:20 AM PST

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Mar 23, 15 11:23 AM
riefer wrote:@Hespera, totally agree with you. It's interesting to see how different peoples' personalities mesh with the game. For me, the time taken to dig for manure and to sleep is the killer. I hate just waiting there while the game takes its time. With the charcoal method, I'm interacting the whole time. That's why I prefer it, even though it has a lower return per item.

Yes, everyone does what is acceptable to them and their needs. (Or the needs of their alter egos - LOL).

I've also been a direct person, so I go for a direct approach. A few more clicks here or there have never bothered me and spending energy is something I do all the time, being a mom with two toddlers! LOL. I always look for the most bang for my bucks! But I tend to be cold and logical. Oft times it works against me.

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Mar 23, 15 2:16 PM
Hespera: $1 / $7 = .143 or not quite 15%.

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Mar 23, 15 7:20 PM
GeorgeTSLC wrote:Hespera: $1 / $7 = .143 or not quite 15%.

Ah...I was being too scientific again. I was figuring gross profit margin...way overkill. I need to get more sleep.

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Mar 24, 15 6:53 AM
Um, isn't that gross profit margin? (I was an English and linguistics major; I sometimes know the words and not the concept.)

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Mar 24, 15 8:17 AM
GeorgeTSLC wrote:Um, isn't that gross profit margin? (I was an English and linguistics major; I sometimes know the words and not the concept.)

I took the Science and Math route...it's the bane of my existence.

GPM is calculated by dividing the total cost of goods by the total revenue.

Total cost of goods = 35 Total Revenue = 40

(Gross Profit = total revenue - cost of goods) 5

GPM = 5/40

Like I said - overkill. It comes out to .125, (12.5%) which is close enough for government work.

Edited on 03/24/2015 at 8:21:11 AM PST

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Mar 24, 15 9:38 AM
D'uh! Makes sense.

In any case, not a huge profit, but steady.

Go to: