KGDBLU
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

Almost broke, do I need to start over?

[Post New]by KGDBLU on Mar 19, 15 5:09 PM
Hi, it's me again. I have 51 coins left and nowhere near finishing. I've sold everything (even stuff I found out later that was needed). The only assets I have is fish but I need that for energy, and I have a few tools, but I'm afraid to sell them in case I need them later. I've picked the lock at the light house, but that money went poof in a hurry.
Do I have to start over?

Edited on 03/19/2015 at 5:17:10 PM PST

riefer
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

Re:Almost broke, do I need to start over?

[Post New]by riefer on Mar 19, 15 6:02 PM
What capabilities do you have? Do you have access to the farmer who sells grain, and the miller? Because you can buy grain, have it milled, then sell the flour to the baker's daughter. You make 3 gold on each bag of grain you buy. Just remember not to spend all your money on grain, you need to also pay for the milling (5 gold I think). So save at least 5 gold per bag of grain. Then mill all your grain, then sell the flour. Then buy more grain, saving some gold to pay for milling, and sell the flour again. Each time you'll be able to buy more grain than before. Soon you'll see your money go up and up and up.

You can do the same thing with wood and the coaler, once you have access to that area. And I think you can do it with gunpowder too, although that one's a pain because you need manure which you have to dig yourself. I haven't found a place ot buy it. I haven't worked out the total cost either to see if it's worth it. To me, it takes too much time.

Other "free" ways of making money are selling mushrooms, crabs, eggs, rainbow shells, and pearls. All of those are free to pick up, no hearts or equipment required. Also finding crates and barrels is free, and you can sell what you find inside.

KGDBLU
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by KGDBLU on Mar 19, 15 6:37 PM
Thanks riefer, I'll give the miller a try. FYI, I made the mistake of selling the pearls. They're needed later. I've sold all the crabs and shells I can find, eggs too. I've found as many crates and barrels as possible and used up the resources they contained.

Edited on 03/19/2015 at 6:44:13 PM PST

[Post New]by sthrightwhale on Mar 19, 15 7:27 PM
Another way to collect some money is to buy wood , convert it to coals and sell it to the smithy

riefer
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by riefer on Mar 19, 15 7:29 PM
Pearls aren't needed later, not that I recall. I finished the game, all the achievements and quests, and didn't need any pearls. You need sapphires later, if that's what you're thinking of. And two of the piles of jewels (forget what the game calls them).

If you're far enough that you have access to the guy selling wood, then do that instead. Buy wood, but have 10 gold per wood in reserve. So if you buy 20 wood you have to have 200 gold still (20x10=200).Then go to the screen south of the woodseller and there's a coaler (or whatever he's called, he makes charcoal). Get him to turn the wood into charcoal, and then sell the charcoal to the blacksmith who's in the fort right there. You make 5 gold per charcoal, instead of 3 gold per sack of flour. Another benefit is that you can buy wood 5 at a time, so it's fewer clicks overall. I did it till I had over 3000 gold. I finished the rest of the game without having to worry about money at all. If you ever dip back down to 1000 or so, just go back and do it again till you're back up.

KGDBLU
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by KGDBLU on Mar 19, 15 7:58 PM
The wood/charcoal seller/blacksmith thing worked like a charm. Thanks.

riefer
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by riefer on Mar 20, 15 4:53 AM
You're welcome, it's my fave! The rest of the game should be a lot less frustrating for you, now that you know that. You can go around and explore and try things without worrying about cash.

SeverineSnape
Stingray
Stingray
5,357 Posts

[Post New]by SeverineSnape on Apr 30, 15 2:33 PM
Jip66 wrote:The part I have highlighted in bold above is misinformation, collecting Mushrooms, Crabs, Fish, Eggs, Rainbow-Tinted Shells, Pearls, Crates & Barrels ALL cost Heart to pick up
Hmm, not completely true. I don't know exactly which do and which don't, but picking up crabs and shells doesn't cost any hearts. Fishing definitely does and gathering herbs and berries does. Not sure about the others because I don't have any left in my current game

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on May 1, 15 11:22 AM
Severine is correct - picking up shells, crabs, mushrooms, eggs, pearls, crates/barrels, trading with merchants do NOT consume energy.

Fishing, herbing, hunting, fighting zombies, spiders, snakes, working, all require and consume energy.

Go to: