smudger29
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

Mystic Diary: Lost Brother - Value for Money???

[Post New]by smudger29 on Jun 13, 09 10:40 PM
I purchased this game because I enjoyed the demo, BUT I got through it in an hour and 5 mins - a total of 2hrs and 5 mins.

In my book this isnt value for money!

looloo123
Stingray
Stingray
5,004 Posts

Re:Mystic Diary: Lost Brother - Value for Money???

[Post New]by looloo123 on Jun 13, 09 11:03 PM
game 2 hours =6.99
a movie at the theater 2 hours= 10.00
the game still works for me
i get to play it a second time = for free

tazmann423
Flounder
Flounder
2,113 Posts

[Post New]by tazmann423 on Jun 13, 09 11:23 PM
Yes it is.

shadowdiana
Shark
Shark
14,943 Posts

[Post New]by shadowdiana on Jun 13, 09 11:24 PM
Yes, it was shorter than I would have liked.....
But overall a good game. Will play it again in a bit Good value for $7

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Jun 14, 09 12:45 AM
I feel that I am getting value for my money with this one. It is a good game and can be played as much as I want. I can download it onto my next computer or my laptop. It is enjoyable, not too hard, not too easy and I like the minis. It is better value than a movie and probably just as good or better value than many novels. It does not take up any space in my home either!

besstan
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,053 Posts

[Post New]by besstan on Jun 14, 09 2:54 AM
i too played demo loved it bought it it a change from usuall **** games i give it :to to all on this sunday here in england besstan

Wakame
Catfish
Catfish
1,584 Posts

[Post New]by Wakame on Jun 14, 09 3:17 AM
How much would you pay for a DVD that only lasts 90 minutes ( excluding the ads)?
Just like the DVD you can play the game as often as you like.

Woofie53
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,145 Posts

[Post New]by Woofie53 on Jun 14, 09 3:23 AM
I am really enjoying the game. I bought it as soon as the demo was over; I usually don't do that with a game. I must be a really slow player because I have played it well over 2 hours and am only about 1/3 of the game. After I bought it, I started the game over so that I could read the story from the beginning. I like HOGs that have a game within a game. I hope BFG comes up with more games like this one. The graphics are great and the music isn't too bad.

CYNTHIA
Stingray
Stingray
5,782 Posts

[Post New]by CYNTHIA on Jun 14, 09 4:20 AM
I never notice how long a game takes; it all depends on how much I ENJOY it. I started this yesterday and haven't finished yet. I am sure i have played about 2 1/2 hrs so far; take my time and enjoy scenes.

Woofie53: agree with you about graphics and music. I like to take my time and relax!

Edited on 06/14/2009 at 4:23:59 AM PST

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Jun 14, 09 4:39 AM
I do agree it is a bit of a let down when a game only takes a couple of hours to complete.

It is definitley a personal opinion the enjoymment you get out of individual games and I do see how some games that are good but average can be overlooked in favour of many similar games out there or better games with longer gameplay time.

I was thinking of buying this game but the short game reports are leaving me wondering if it is a good idea. Usually when someone claims a game takes them 2 hours it takes me longer so I often get more time value from games than do.

I am still on the fence about this game- I think I will put it in the rainy day box for now if it is so short.

irishgreen
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by irishgreen on Jun 14, 09 5:08 AM
I bought this game yesterday after playing the demo. Love the game. Played yesterday and like Cynthia, I am not finished. Have taken my time, read all the scenes, and have done all the mini-puzzles.
This game is 24 chapters and each has within 2 or 3 more subscreens to do. Probably have been playing for at least 2 1/2 to 3 hours and am starting chapter 20 now.
I am just taking my time and enjoying the game.
Well worth the 6.99 for me.

Just bought the DVD for Grand Torino for $15. Watched it last night--good movie--lasted about 90 minutes. Less time and more money than this game.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jun 14, 09 7:03 AM
I think the Developer, Sunray Games, did a REALLY FANTASTIC JOB to offer us such a quality game for the low price of $7. We have been given what we ask for in a game:

An interactive element.
No timer.
Recharging hints.
Variety of Mini Puzzles.
Skip Feature on Mini Puzzle.
Some cleverly hidden objects.

Yes they could have padded the game out a bit more to make it longer but the additional time spent would have probably made the game financially unviable to be sold at the $7 price and put it more in the old $20 price range due to increased development time. Do not forget that these games take nearly a year to produce as it is and all during this time costs are rising. They do not get paid until the game is sold to us and in the meantime they have to eat too. I would rather play a 2 hour good quality game like this than a fuzzy pictured, objects just dumped higgledy-piggledy without any thought as to whether they can be seen or not, 4 hour game any day.

Be thankful for a good quality game at a fantastic price.

C

Gets off soap box and swooooooops out of sight.

bfgCelebes
Flounder
Flounder
2,038 Posts

[Post New]by bfgCelebes on Jun 15, 09 12:16 PM
Hey all,

Just popping in to let you know that I'm moving this thread, since we now have a forum for Mystic Diary: Lost Brother.

Cheers!

~~~bfgCelebes~ ~~~

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Jun 15, 09 1:30 PM
I've already covered this in a review so here's the super quick version.

I thought this game had exceptional production values but I didn't buy it. According to the walkthrough, there are 25 pages. I was on page 18 after the hour demo. I would have been lucky to get another half hour. I used no hints and read all the dialog.

Games are getting shorter and shorter, I don't want to encourage developers to start making games that can be finished in less than 2 hours.

Also, the puzzles had been dumbed down and really didn't like that at all.

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Jun 15, 09 1:50 PM
Since I haven't yet played this game I will only comment on the "value for money" aspect of this thread. The way I see it, if I went out to a movie that is going to last about 2 hours I am going to pay a lot more than I will for this game once I figure in the cost of the ticket, the popcorn and soda (which are a must have at the theatre) the cost of gas and, oh yeah, the cost of the babysitter. It's been forever since I went to the movies, but that's a pretty hefty price tag for a 2 hour movie.

Now, if I enjoy this game and I've paid $7 for it, even if it only lasts two hours I still think it's a good deal. That's two hours of entertainment for a lot less than a movie and I can play it as many times as I want (which, incidentally, is one of my criteria for purchasing games-does it have replay value and would I play it again, probably many times).

So, in a nutshell, game length doesn't bother me that much because even if it ONLY lasts 2 hours that's still bang for my buck.

[Post New]by knickknackblue on Jun 16, 09 3:43 PM
In general I agree wwith all the posts. It is easy and doesn't last very long, but it was enjoyable and you can play it as many times as you want. I think $6.99 isn't that much to ask. I would recommend this to all those that are new to HOG that also combine elements of strategy (as in combine this with this to do that).

I think that CHERBTOO really hit the nail on the head.

Edited on 06/16/2009 at 3:46:14 PM PST

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Jun 16, 09 4:30 PM
Agree with Cherb. I will buy a good quality short game quicker than a poor quality longer one. Best is if they are good and long, but we can't always get that - especially with the economy the way it is.

Okay, I might buy a bag of potato chips for $3.50. That's half a game, and not as good for me! I will not think twice about spending $30 on the next Harry Potter movie the night it's released, and that's like 4 games, and will only last a couple of hours.

Value is only that which we personally place on something, and value is not the same as price. I may place more value on one thing, and someone else on another. But I loved the demo for this game, and I will definitely buy it.

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

[Post New]by scotcat on Jun 16, 09 8:02 PM
Just bought the DVD for Grand Torino for $15. Watched it last night--good movie--lasted about 90 minutes. Less time and more money than this game.

Hubby wants to buy this movie, but I wait until Hollywood Video puts their DVD's on sale for $9.99 or less. I have bought many a good DVD within the year of it's release for $5.00 - $6.00. I haven't paid $15 for a DVD in years. I don't go to the theater..... hate the noisey crowds so no money spent there.

Games are getting shorter and shorter, I don't want to encourage developers to start making games that can be finished in less than 2 hours.

Also, the puzzles had been dumbed down and really didn't like that at all.

I concur. With casual game prices dropping to $6.99 for anyone, the developers aren't making as much money, so you can expect shorter and possibly cheaper quality games in the future. Once game sites start offering cheaper prices to anyone, there is no going back..... as one developer put it. People complain about a game being too short, but they still buy it so why should the developers produce longer games? Dream Chronicles comes to mind here as one example. Everyone has complained about game length since the first one, but the series keeps selling.

weirdgrrl
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by weirdgrrl on Jun 17, 09 1:22 PM
I agree with TimeKilla. Finding out that there are only 25 pages means I would have less than one hour of game play after purchase. And I too used no hints and read all the dialog.

I want to encourage quality games, but I don't want to encourage them to be so short. Dream Chronicles is my only exception to that because of the storyline and the puzzles; I will go back and play them again. I don't tend to replay basic hidden object games. While this one is slightly less basic, the less basic stuff is pretty easy. So, in my opinion, it would need to compensate by being longer in order to tempt me to buy it.

(As for the movie comparison, I only go to first run theatres when I have free passes and I don't buy stuff from the overpriced concession stand, so that argument won't work with me.)

gameslvr
Clownfish
Clownfish
553 Posts

[Post New]by gameslvr on Jun 17, 09 6:14 PM
I didn't have any problem with the length of the game--in fact, I couldn't wait for it to end! What I disliked was the endless, repetitive screens of just looking for objects with no connection to anything and a very weak storyline.

It didn't engage my mind. I was so bored I wasn't interested in what was going to happen next because I knew it would just be more plain and really easy hidden objects. But, unfortunately, when I start a game, I have to finish it so I had to keep going with the hope that something interesting would happen. It didn't.

Go to: