Hammers in Competitions

faunaspherical
Guppy
Guppy
125 Posts

Hammers in Competitions

[Post New]by faunaspherical on Mar 30, 15 3:00 PM
Personally I find the use of hammers in the competitions akin to cheating. Like an athlete taking steroids to enhance performance. I don't care about the use of other gadgets but the hammers just seem really aggressive and lack sportsmanship to me. Win or lose, I love playing with players who don't hammer. I love the personal challenge of how well do I remember the objects in rooms and how quickly can I read and clear the list. It's been cool to observe my own 'performance' grow over time.

I realize this might be a very sensitive subject to bring forth, but I'm just curious of others thoughts on the matter...

MsShan
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

Re:Hammers in Competitions

[Post New]by MsShan on Mar 30, 15 3:09 PM
I'm with you 100%. I'd love it if they weren't an available gadget in comps...

aventeux
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by aventeux on Mar 30, 15 3:20 PM
I agree with you faunaspherical. If I had my way, I would ban the hammer from the competitions and would even limit the use of a gadget (bell, lamp or magnifying glass) to 1 per competition.

faunaspherical
Guppy
Guppy
125 Posts

[Post New]by faunaspherical on Mar 30, 15 4:04 PM
MsShan wrote:I'm with you 100%. I'd love it if they weren't an available gadget in comps...

That would be real competition MsShan. I confess that I like to turn on the lights when I land in night mode, but I didn't have enough lamps early on so I have definitely played a fair share of dark rooms.

aventeux wrote:I agree with you faunaspherical. If I had my way, I would ban the hammer from the competitions and would even limit the use of a gadget (bell, lamp or magnifying glass) to 1 per competition.

Oh, I like that aventeux! Quick, strategic thinking before picking your 1 gadget use! I wonder if there were no gadgets in the comps if then we could play 4 players and not have to refresh afterwards...??!!

achumannfaery
Catfish
Catfish
1,570 Posts

[Post New]by achumannfaery on Mar 30, 15 4:17 PM
No gadgets is great! We all have our nemesis rooms and modes...Would make it more fair to not use any gadgets!

afspam
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
468 Posts

[Post New]by afspam on Mar 30, 15 4:46 PM
As many a fast player will attest, I gladly play against someone who can beat me "fair and square" before I will play someone that uses hammers regularly. I don't care if they're in a competing guild or playing solo.

vrc111
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by vrc111 on Mar 30, 15 5:58 PM
What are hammers ? What do they do ?

achumannfaery
Catfish
Catfish
1,570 Posts

[Post New]by achumannfaery on Mar 30, 15 6:04 PM
Hammers are a gadget acquired through searches and chests. They automatically clear three items at a time.

So for instance, when you and I competed earlier today, we were in a room that I was unfamiliar with (it was from a month's old offer), and it was in octopus mode. You beat me fairly as the better competitor. However, if I had dropped a few hammers, I would have beat you by using gadgets instead of fairly searching.

rheashard2
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by rheashard2 on Mar 30, 15 6:32 PM
I stopped doing comps because of hammer throwing. I didn't start doing duels and comps until my player level was high. That seemed to make me a target for hammers. I have played in comps where my opponent used hammers the entire time. I don't mind the use of lamps or the cold/hot (Magic Magnifier) finder/viewer in comps. I would like to see hammers limited to a max of 1 time use in comps.

achumannfaery
Catfish
Catfish
1,570 Posts

[Post New]by achumannfaery on Mar 30, 15 7:17 PM
I would be happier if the devs fixed the glitch! I love dueling, but have not been able to proceed, even if I win, due the the freezing....

JeffSteer
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by JeffSteer on Mar 30, 15 7:39 PM
I totally agree with every thing that has been said about this topic. If anyone is satisfied with winning a comp using hammers shouldn't be playing as it truly defines their skill level in a room. I have used the odd light for night modes but never any hammers but i sure did use quite a few in that damn Confectionery.

Clashfan78
Clownfish
Clownfish
695 Posts

[Post New]by Clashfan78 on Mar 30, 15 8:18 PM
Well most of you that know me already know I'm not a fan of the hammers. I have and will use them in defense when someone is hammering away at me.

I went through a very brief phase brought on by another player making a case for the fact that they are a valid and legal part of the game. During that phase (this was like 3 or 4 days and quite awhile back) I tried using them in a strategic fashion. Several things happened the first being that I didn't feel like I won any more games than I would have by not using them. I got no gratification whatsoever from the win in fact I felt very much like I had cheated. I had no feeling of accomplishment at the high score I was able to set as I really didn't earn it. Finally I felt like a bully even when I was doing this against another player that used them regularly.

They are not the same thing as a lightbulb because after all you still have to find the items and quickly when the light is on, the lightbulb doesn't do it for you. I think the magnifying glass is equally OK as it also just gives a general location it's not finding the item for you. There have been times when I use one in Marine Queen and still not been able to find the number.

I want to encourage more players to try the comps. Yes, the rebooting is bothersome but I've actually incorporated that into my game play. You do still get the rewards and it's a great source of dragon food. It's actually easier to place in a 3 or 4 man comp then it is to win outright when you are first starting to play. Nothing worse in my opinion than an experienced player using hammers to win against an upcoming player that is trying hard to improve their game. That is simply a great way to discourage them from playing at all. It's already hard enough to get people to play against without an extra unfair advantage.

This is a topic I'm a bit passionate about...sorry for the rant.

achumannfaery
Catfish
Catfish
1,570 Posts

[Post New]by achumannfaery on Mar 30, 15 8:37 PM
Clash, you are one who regularly competes, therefore, no need to apologize for an opinion based on perception.

I personally have always preferred dueling and am disheartened by the loss of continuation....

I like that there are the new weekly objectives but am still put off as I find it is insult to injury...The duels used to work, the sleeping neighbors used to provide rewards (reference to the dragons-I like the dragons, just not that they took away from something else)

I wish the devs would fix what's broken first!

Back on topic, sorry for my rants: to those just starting the comps and duels are a good place to kill time while waiting to replenish energy. You can earn gold, xp, and other rewards such as dragon food in doing so. Don't be put off by those higher than you (we all learn somewhere) esp as pearls are easy to come by. I had three instances today where someone below level 20 bounced out of competing with me.....Depending on the room and the mode, I am not that good at comps so don't be scared of someone higher! Don't look at the clock, don't look at your status....Just do your best and win/lose, you will get better with practice! Most important, as always, is to have fun!

faunaspherical
Guppy
Guppy
125 Posts

[Post New]by faunaspherical on Mar 30, 15 10:41 PM
Clashfan78 wrote:I got no gratification whatsoever from the win in fact I felt very much like I had cheated. I had no feeling of accomplishment at the high score I was able to set as I really didn't earn it. Finally I felt like a bully even when I was doing this against another player that used them regularly.

Well said Clashfan: no gratification - no satisfaction - and feeling like a bully even when it is done in retaliation!! For me a big Yuck!! My experience today which prompted me to post in the forums today...

rheashard2 wrote:I stopped doing comps because of hammer throwing.

Come back rheashard2! I almost stopped as well, but I found there are lots of players who do not use hammers. I would say I run into more people who don't use them than who do. It is so fun to be in a well matched multi player competition (without hammers) ... they're in the lead, you're in the lead - back and forth, back and forth ... can I quickly find the last few items???!!! To quote afspam:
afspam wrote:I gladly play against someone who can beat me "fair and square"

achumannfaery wrote:Don't look at the clock, don't look at your status....Just do your best and win/lose, you will get better with practice! Most important, as always, is to have fun!
Great advice achumannfaery!!!

Edited on 03/30/2015 at 10:51:20 PM PST

rheashard2
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by rheashard2 on Mar 31, 15 6:43 AM
I miss doing comps. I played inspite of glitches. Like Clash, I had a routine that included the reboots and freezes. I got good laughs at those who back out after seeing my player level. I used to think....what would they think if they could see me? 60+, trifocals with magnification (lighted) clip ons, severe finger arthritis (making every click a pain), finger and wrist support gloves for the arthritis and help keep hands warm enough to use, wrist and shoulder support for arthritis in those places. It's hard to use a computer keyboard and mouse for longer then 45 minutes. I laugh at myself because of what I do to play. I spend hours searching for and evaluating true soft and hardware for those with finger and hand problems. Looking at things to help those with arthritis and/or pain using standard mouse and keyboard for any length of time. I am laughing right now. It isn't that bad. I can walk, talk, and know my own name. I am kept trained in RL & non; reading & crochet & listening to audiobooks & playing ROM activities by my kid, parrot, dogs and cats. I am even working on a way to read, listen to audio books, crochet, and play ROM simultaneously!

Crow12000
Clownfish
Clownfish
559 Posts

[Post New]by Crow12000 on Mar 31, 15 8:40 AM
I'll just toss in my two cents on this subject. I agree with pretty much everything that has been said so far. I also feel that they are a crutch that can keep you from reaching your full potential as a player. If you constantly have to rely on the hammers to win you are not actually improving your speed or increasing your skill level.

Newer players that feel they must use them to have any hope of winning are doing themselves a disservice in the long run. I suppose though not everyone looks at it the same and there are those that are only interested in the short term quick win to get the daily awards and are not thinking of becoming a long term player.

I love a good close back and forth match, win or lose. I can't think of anything more boring than a hammer throwing contest.

ponypack
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by ponypack on Mar 31, 15 11:26 AM
I must admit that i have used a hammer twice, once when playing against a VERY high level player and once when I spilled my coffee and was trying to "catch up". That being said I have had many used against me usually by newer players but once by the same Very high level player I just mentioned and he used several in a row! I was hurt and angry so I no longer used them in competitions except for the one when I spilled my drink. I do think it is fair to use them in quests since that is why they are given as prizes in most chests. I don't use them or puzzle solvers in my regular play. To Rheashard I must say you sound a lot like me! You Rock! I am fortunate to have plenty of time to play everyday in spite of my RL and the dogs cats grandkids and audiobooks! Nevermind the arthritis thing, I laugh about it too, at least when I'm not crying because of the sheer frustration it visits upon me everyday! So painful to move,so very worse when I am still too long!

Edited on 03/31/2015 at 11:40:05 AM PST

[Post New]by fairhavenfish01 on Mar 31, 15 1:13 PM
I, too, am anti-hammer. I have used them as a defense.

The one time I used them in the Todd Sweeny salon in a comp I immediately wrote an apology to my opponent. The only reason I used them then was because there is a glitch that doesn't let the mouse click on items!

But really, hammer-throwing is a no-go for me - I will back out if I see a habitual hammer-thrower as my potential opponent.

Having to restart is bad enough without the added aggravation of hammers....

Happy non-hammer-throwing Gaming!

vrc111
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by vrc111 on Mar 31, 15 4:50 PM
Thanks for the heads up all. I thought they were like artifacts or something. You know ? Like to slam those damn dragons on the head that show up twice a week so you don't have to feed them all that food stuff. I got to get me some of them things. Cheers !

afspam
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
468 Posts

[Post New]by afspam on Mar 31, 15 6:28 PM
fairhavenfish01 wrote:...The one time I used them in the Todd Sweeny salon in a comp I immediately wrote an apology to my opponent. The only reason I used them then was because there is a glitch that doesn't let the mouse click on items!

I've encountered that twice, but strangely it didn't occur during the quest, only very recently in a comp. It also happened in another room very recently, so either the wedding gazebo or the garage. One hammer seems enough to "unstick" it. Very strange.

Go to: