TRADEWINDS ODYSSEY STRATEGY OR WALKTHROUGH

[Post New]by spirit215 on Jun 17, 09 1:48 PM
I keep loosing ships and am unable to win any battles. I tried borrowing money from the moneylender but with having to repair my ships all the time I can't repay any of the money I borrowed. Any suggestions?

bfgCelebes
Flounder
Flounder
2,038 Posts

Re:TRADEWINDS ODYSSEY STRATEGY OR WALKTHROUGH

[Post New]by bfgCelebes on Jun 18, 09 1:51 PM
Hi spirit215,

A great thing to do is just sail around, being very sure to save every time before you go out to sea.

This way, you can go to your next destination without fear. If you make it to where you're going, you can start/complete a quest and get money for it. If you run into battle, you can try and fight to earn money and if you lose the battle, just go to your last save point. If you win the battle, then when you get to shore, repair only the ship most in danger of going under.

It takes a while to get the hang of it, but over time you'll find that the money that you accumulate, not only from battles but also from completing quests, will start to build up quickly.

I hope this helps!

~~~bfgCelebes~ ~~~

Edited on 06/18/2009 at 1:51:58 PM PST

KSerra
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

Re:TRADEWINDS ODYSSEY STRATEGY OR WALKTHROUGH

[Post New]by KSerra on Jun 20, 09 11:21 AM
Hi Spirit,
Don't forget to use your 'special ability' whenever it's available. They can do great damage to your enemies in a battle.
Rgds,
KS

TRADEWINDS ODYSSEY STRATEGY OR WALKTHROUGH

[Post New]by Shaun544 on Jun 9, 12 8:27 AM
Hi spirit215
I find the best way forward for new players is to play as Phil The Cynic, after you have brought the game His Speical Ability is Dissuade, which when fully charged gives you the ability to stop your opponets fleet to ram you, later in the game i suggest you buy the Disus, 20.000 d this shortens the time for your speical ability to recharge, i think that from my experence it is better to borrow max from the money lenders, upgrade your ships and fleet, more ships more cargo space, less of a loss if you lose one in a seabattle, once you have some money from borrowing max amount, make sure to arm them with more weapons than defult number of weapons, that come with the ship, this should help in winning a sea battle, sell the cheap defult weapons and upgrade them when you can, this will also help in improving your chance of winning sea battles, the best long range weapon is the most expensive the Fire Shell 10,000 d some later ships have the Heavy Dart 5,000 d as a defult weapon, i find it best to sell this if you have the extra 5,000 get a Fire Shell instead. sail around looking for goods at minium price, then sail around looking for maxium sale price, to help save on cost of ship repairs buy 20 Olives and use them to get Athene's Mercy from the Alter, which will heal 25% of ALL the ships in your fleet, you can use it during or just after a sea battle, also if you buy 20 Salt you can get Hades Fire, which is a bit like a cheap version of the Fire Shell, you can use this during a sea battle to help set fire to your opponants ships, another good idea is to check out the items at the Reliquary, you will find some items there that can help you in winning a seabattle as well, heres a list of items i think you should buy once you have some spare money along with the price, from the Reliquary

Brooch of Pallas increases the power of Athene's Mercy 7,500 d

Osprey Feather does additional damage 2,100 d

Scythe of Reaping increases the power of Hades Fire 6,666 d

Harpy Fletching ammo flys faster 15,000 d

Edited on 06/23/2012 at 8:24:06 AM PST

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Re: TRADEWINDS ODYSSEY STRATEGY OR WALKTHROUGH

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Sep 11, 13 2:56 PM
Shaun makes good points. I always fit myself up w/ weapons and Athene's Mercy as quickly as at all possible.

One thing you may not realize at first is that the Small Vessel is both highly vulnerable and, because it can't be fitted w/ long-range weapons, ineffective in combat. Having one may be worth it to increase your cargo capacity, but you need to trade it in as soon as possible. Buying a second makes no sense.

Trick: If you've had a reasonably successful battle, you wait until the last of your opponents is sinking and then use Mercy, so that you spend little or even nothing on repairs at the Shipyard.

From its description, the Osprey Feather does additional damage only when you use the Wind of Boreas blessing, which is not available at the beginning of the game.

I find I can't successfully play any of the Tradewinds series w/o keeping a spreadsheet so I know what the max. and min. prices are for each commodity. And be aware that these ranges change somewhat w/in the same game each time you start a new character, or start over w/ the same character. (E.g., the minimum price of Salt in Odyssey can be anything from 5 to 15 drachmas.)

Edited on 09/11/2013 at 2:57:25 PM PST

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Re: TRADEWINDS ODYSSEY STRATEGY OR WALKTHROUGH

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Sep 11, 13 8:57 PM
Unlike the Osprey Feather, but like the Harpy Fletching, the 5000-dr. Highly Volatile Compound seems to be a general damage increaser.

Edited on 09/11/2013 at 8:58:11 PM PST

Go to: