Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Cadenza: The Kiss of Death Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Apr 4, 15 4:13 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 04/04/2015 at 8:07:42 AM PST

KCErin
Guppy
Guppy
147 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Cadenza: The Kiss of Death Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by KCErin on Apr 4, 15 5:20 AM
Just a quick review before I prepare for the day. I got to beta this game and just loved it. The first Cadenza was good and this one is just as good; potentially better. I loved everything about this game - the soft jazz music, the graphics, the voices, the story. I need to replay the demo to go into more depth, because it's be a while since I played it. I just remember how much I did like it.

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Cadenza: The Kiss of Death Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by biomix on Apr 4, 15 5:59 AM
I love this game! I agree with almost everything KCErin said.
The soft music, graphics, voices, the storyline which I never pay attention to, I am following in this game.
It's a gorgeous game!! Beautifully done! A pleasure to play. Love the minis and the HOs.
Thank you to the developers and Big Fish Games. !

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Apr 4, 15 6:12 AM
I must admit to not liking the first Cadenza game at all and this one didn't fare any better. And I dislike jazz music intensely so that probably didn't help.

The graphics are nice enough, the HOS are not difficult and the one puzzle I came across was easy. But the gameplay was just so dull and uninspiring; nothing much happened for the 45 minutes I lasted aside from a possibly suspicious death. The rest was spent enduring a really opening sequence and prolonged visits to a barman.

The collectibles were easy to see. There are 5 modes of play including one that is customisable. I didn't consult the SG; the game was so easy I didn't need it. I'm afraid I have no idea how many chapters there are or what the extras might be and I have no desire to find out. I found the demo boring and won't even bother with the SE.

bfgWaimea
Salmon
Salmon
2,837 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWaimea on Apr 4, 15 8:07 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Cadenza: The Kiss of Death Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, as do the developers as well as your fellow gamers. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Cadenza: The Kiss of Death Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM any one of our Moderators.

bfgWaimea

Lorijene2
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by Lorijene2 on Apr 4, 15 10:25 AM

Edited on 04/04/2015 at 1:15:13 PM PST

9otters
Clownfish
Clownfish
860 Posts

[Post New]by 9otters on Apr 4, 15 1:56 PM
Had enough time from the demo to play a second time. Just wondered what I could possibly have missed. The answer is "nothing". Great graphics but not a great game. Spent WAY more time watching than doing. Nothing special here.

Sorry Mad Head Games. You've been a favorite of mine for a while but with this one, the romance is over.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Apr 4, 15 3:44 PM
Hi all. Well, we have number 2 in this series. Graphics are very well done, as is the animation. Colors are bright with some pinks,but not over powering at all. Game play was very good, no problems during the demo and the game fit my large screen very nicely. Voice overs are well done and show fear and emotion. Not sure why there is a "pop out" when you want to ask about someone. That's a bit out of place in this game. Music is nice and moves with whatever is happening at the time. You can click through dialog if you read faster than they speak, unless they are talking to themselves...weird.

HOPs are pretty much the same throughout. I kept forgetting to look for the morphing objects in them, so will have to go back on those. The scenes are fairly clean and items are not hard to find. They consist of lists of items that show you a fragmented item that you need to usually find another item on the list. Nothing else so far. Puzzles are simple and nothing new.

The only collectibles I found other than the morphing objects in the HOPs, are gold cards with stars on them. These are not difficult to find, but you do have to look for them. They are varying sizes and blend quite well. The plus to the star card collectibles is that there is a star in the right lower corner that tells you if you found it or not. If you click on it, it also shows you where all of them are located and if you missed one, so you can go back and find it. Nice feature.

I have the first in this series and really liked that game a lot. This one doesn't seem to be done as well. The story is nice, but the game moves slowly and drags a bit in places. Hopefully, it picks up as you go along. This game is not really challenging, but for some unknown reason, I do find the need to get this one and see how it plays out. So far, the only challenge I have found is remembering to look for the morphing objects in the HOPs! I do feel that all levels of players would like this one for one reason or another. Yes, I am going to get this game for my collection.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews. Have a happy and fun Easter!

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Apr 4, 15 5:29 PM

Kiss of Death, "Muah!"

This is the second in the Cadenza series, the first being the excellent Music, Betrayal and Death. Like the first, this is set in New Orleans and the time period is the 1930's.

Setting: You are Ella Johnson. Three months ago you got engaged to Anthony, a jazz musician. As you prepare for the wedding, one of Anthony's ex-band members shows up at the scene and mumbles some incoherent warnings. A few minutes later he is found dead in the parking lot with a black lipstick kiss on his neck. Has the famed Black Widow killer struck again?

In keeping with this series, the drawing palette is very strong in reds with some yellows and oranges (the color, that is) to complement. It's high quality and detailed, but not overly so. The character voices are well done, with the New Orleans accents being at least somewhat convincing. Music, as expected, is jazz style but it remains in the background as it should. Sound effects are minimal but the car's hand brake sounds real.

There is a "click to converse" aspect to the game that, in my opinion, would have been better left out. Some conversations require clicking on a single response to continue. Not sure why, it just slows down the play.

The hidden object scenes (15) are where this game really shines. They're quite interactive, yet not at all difficult. The manage to make "easy" interesting by having several stages to them. So, while not complex, they do keep your mind engaged.

I encountered a little difficulty with the inventory. It is quite easy to think you are clicking an item in the inventory but actually close a scene. This happened more than once to me. There is a nice transportable "street" map.

There are five difficulty settings: Novice, Artist, Virtuoso, Maestro and Improviser, the last being customizable and everything turned on or off. Hint and Skip have separate controls and refills can be set between 15-90 seconds.

CE Extras: There are 42 gilded tickets (somewhat hard to find), 15 morphing objects, 14 achievements, strategy guide, and bonus chapter which, after completing, you can play a Ticket Hunt and a Treasure Hunt.

The story does move rather slowly in the beginning but the first Cadenza had a slow beginning too. I did like the hidden object scenes, and there is enough bonus content to consider making the purchase. This could be worth a kiss, at least on the cheek.

four muah's out of five

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Apr 4, 15 9:33 PM
I rarely ever comment in Reviews after playing only the trial but this one sucked me in right away. There seems to be a good storyline, background music and hopefully good playability
I played the first one "Cadenza: Music, Betrayal and Death CE" and totally enjoyed it a bunch so with Big Fish's Easter BOGO -----I'm off to purchase

[b]Edited on May 16, 2015
Just completed playing the complete CE and thoroughly enjoyed it & really tend to agree with the positive reviewers I am very happy that I bought the CE version

The soft jazz, graphics, storyline, mini-games and HOG scenes were all just fine and I'm happy to give this one a full out of 5 and hope for another CADENZA in the near future and hope the developers continue the care they crafted this game and the previous Cadenza game with.

Played on desktop PC running Win. 7- 64bit with no problems

Edited on 05/15/2015 at 11:58:41 PM PST

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Apr 5, 15 12:47 PM
Wow! Just like the first, a fabulous game. Spot on in every way, music, story, accents, locations. A real Easter treat for us.

Radgame
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by Radgame on Apr 5, 15 1:38 PM
Based on completed game: FANTASTIC!
WIN 7 HP 64B & played on 42" TV via HDMI

Post-demo of 50 mins., it was an instant buy thanks to BOGO sale along w/ Friday's CE. What a fun, entertaining and interesting whodunit! For once, graphics were equally great on both; laptop and TV with adventure & thrill aspects much more enhanced in TV mode.

Collectibles (golden tickets & morphs) are spread out over main and bonus games & status is clearly marked. On "Improviser" mode, it took around 5 hours incl. bonus. Golden tickets were hard to spot (much easier in the bonus). Excellent graphics, cut scenes and VOs to boot. Loved the many locations, twists in the story and that edgy feeling of suspense. A great balance of HOPs and puzzles. That dragon screen HOP was so different. Even if some puzzles were the same 'ol, it just didn't feel that way. Main game ends very well = a great SE.

Extras allow replay of all HOPs (I didn't miss any morphs.....yay!), find any missed golden tickets (I missed one), soundtrack, wallpapers, artwork, a match-3 game and the usual 'treasure hunt' which revisits all locations to pick an extra object not present during the game. I wished there had been more to do in each scene because the details and colouring were so brilliant. At times, I did get kicked out of scenes while trying to pick up an inventory item.

I enjoyed it so much that I couldn't stop (usually I play over 2 or more days). An interactive adventure movie/ game that certainly has no kiss of death in terms of game play. It's a work of love that deserves 7 stars!

[Post New]by lorraine2215 on Apr 5, 15 5:01 PM
Great game! Best this year. Music, colors, voice overs fantastic. A game for grownups! Yay

Fiobo
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Fiobo on Apr 5, 15 9:39 PM
While I did like this game, it felt quite a bit shorter than the first one, which was disappointing. I also felt the game wasn't as good in terms of storyline plotting. The graphics were excellent as always, as were all the hidden object scenes. But it just didn't feel like there was enough to do, and I really dislike the clicking on things for conversation, it's boring. Just feels like filler.

kindnsruls
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by kindnsruls on Apr 6, 15 11:55 AM
Meh.
Considering the bugs and having to use a work around that required playing the first half of the game twice to continue, it wasn't much fun. Too slow, too simple, too much talking and not enough to do. Short as well, so not really worth the $14.

Edited on 04/06/2015 at 11:56:03 AM PST

leslieboyd
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by leslieboyd on Apr 6, 15 9:25 PM
being a Mad Head game, i purchased without demo. I LOVED the first Cadenza. I couldn't wait to play this one...... loved the story line, the music, the morphs in the HOS .... What I didn't care for though, was the ''thought bubbles' that popped up to make you choose something to do..... and the moving around , hiding behind trees... I missed the cartoon-like mini-reads ., where you had to pull something into the right spot in the first Cadenza., i didn't particularly like the square puzzle things.... and lastly... the treasure hunt was ... lame. All in all ... i LOVE Mad Head games...and couldn't wait until another one came out... But I did like the first one alot better ... sorry....

katbear50
Clownfish
Clownfish
551 Posts

[Post New]by katbear50 on Apr 8, 15 9:08 AM
I agree with Fishie
steve_san
on pretty much all said,
with the exception of the 'Voice-Overs' .
I live in Southwest Louisiana, Cajun/Bayou Country,
and have spent alot of time in NOLA and the surrounding areas where
I have lots of close friends.
IMHO, the need for 'Diction-Dialect 101' would very much be called for here.
(however, this being said, that isn't Atypical of any Media trying to capture
the true 'Soul' of this culture.)
Loved the Jazz ~ the background music, and the Singer was Spot-On.
It set the tone for the entire game......the Laid-Back True Southern Pace,
which would help explain the overall pace of the game itself.
I enjoyed the Game-Play and the Story-Line itself as well.
This was definitely a Must-Buy Thumbs-Up for this S/W Louisiana Kat
Looking forward to More!
=^,,^=
the kat
gma0trips

emmydog
Guppy
Guppy
175 Posts

[Post New]by emmydog on Apr 11, 15 10:07 PM
I rarely comment on games, good or bad, but I'm making an exception with this one. This game was fantastic. This is what I'd call a highly polished game. There was obvious care taken with every aspect of it: graphics, storyline, even the music. This is the only game I've played with the music on.

After the last Cadenza, I had made a note: "do not hesitate to buy another in this series" and I won't--it'll be an automatic purchase for me.

Thanks to Mad Head Games for a wonderful game.

[Post New]by steph55 on Apr 13, 15 11:51 AM
This is one of the best games I have played in a long time. I hope we get more Cadenza games with the same quality as this one. I loved the Music, the story line,
the actors and voices. It was absolutely thrilling and different from the usual characters with these masks on with boring themes.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Apr 14, 15 6:42 AM
I'm mad about this game (pun intended). I purchased it without a demo because I liked the first Cadenza so much and decided to be optimistic about this one. I'm almost finished with the main game and I'm trying to stretch it out because I don't want it to end. I like the graphics, the story line (very interesting), the music. In fact, as of now (about 3/4 through) there hasn't been one thing about it that I didn't like. I do want to know what happens to all the characters and I'm sure I will play it again in the future.

Go to: