Re:Your Comments and Review for Flux Family Secrets: The Rabbit Hole Collector's Edition

[Post New]by grandmagamer49 on Jun 11, 10 1:12 PM
Okay, am sold on demoing the game. Have never tried the Flux fam genre but because the majority of the comments were positive I will try! TY all!

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Flux Family Secrets: The Rabbit Hole Collector's Edition

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Jun 11, 10 3:18 PM
I read there are six bonus levels with the CE, albeit shorter than the reg levels. Does anyone who has finished the game think they are worth the extra $$ and could you comment on about how much playing time these six levels represent?? Thanks in advance for your comments

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Jun 11, 10 9:34 PM
Well - all i can say is WOW - I just love this game - took a long time to download (after I purchased) but more than likely was my connection (I have satellite internet connection & we've been having some nasty weather here) - anyway - it was well worth the $ spent and the time it took for d/l the full game. As with the first Flux family, the graphics are phenomenal; I love the music & sound effects - there have been a few things I've needed a 'hint' to find (sometimes "older" eyes don't always see things as clearly !!) - I'm "savoring" this game ! I'm almost at the end of the game - about a chapter & 1/2 left; then into the bonus chapters - so for me - this has definitely been worth the CE price !! I love games where there is no timer, so I can take my time and read every part of the story and really get into it. (unfortunately, at times, to the detriment of getting the housework done, laundry, gardening, etc, etc, !!) - Darn good thing I'm retired now, otherwise I'm sure I'd be late for work because of these games !! First site I visit every morning (I'm usually up at 5 AM) is Big Fish Games.

LUV YOU, GUYS & GALS AT BFG !!!

[Post New]by Jim6622 on Jun 11, 10 11:15 PM
SPOILER ALERT (somewhat)...

Im in the bonus chapters on Hapshepsut, the dog weights step. I solve the dog weights puzzle and could not figure out what to do next. So I talk to the guy and he says look at the wall behind the golden dogs. I looked and looked, clicked everywhere I could possibly click. After about 15 minutes I decided to use the strategy guide. It says there should be a throwing scarab on the wall behind the dogs, even shows it in a screenshot, but there is NO throwing scarab anywhere on the wall in my game. Anyone else have this problem and know a solution for it?

fauxgina
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by fauxgina on Jun 12, 10 3:16 AM
Although the graphics are very good, and I will almost certainly end up buying the game when it's available at the usual game club price because I enjoyed the first one so much, I'm not convinced the CE is worth the $19.99 price tag.

The game feels "noisy" to me in a couple of ways. The owl makes whirring, hooting, and munching sounds when you find items in hidden object scenes; these noises just don't seem to have any purpose other than to be what I can only assume the developers thought would be "amusing", but they just got on my nerves. And although I haven't played the first "FFS" game for a few months, I also seem to remember the music set in the "present" as being quite serious, but the music in this game feels more light-hearted, almost too much so. I don't know why I feel the need to include that in the review, really... Maybe I'm just being picky.

The game is visually "noisy," as well, in some ways. The graphics are incredible, but that also makes it difficult to find certain items in that, to my eyes, everything looks equally of interest and useless at the same time. It doesn't seem to be a matter of difficulty to me as much as it does of just being a bit -- cluttered is the wrong word in a game with such clear graphics (even without HD, which my screen is not set up for), maybe a better word is "confusing." Something else that confused me was the notes scattered throughout the demo written by various people -- there doesn't seem to be any context for the letters, so I'm left wondering who these people are and why I should care what they are telling me. (To be fair, one of the notes was very funny, actually -- a letter to Santa in which the little girl writing it states that Santa is on her naughty list for not making her sister less annoying, or something similar -- but again, what is the point? It doesn't seem to fit in anywhere.)

Does anyone else find it strange that the older Jesse appears to be about 16 years old (certainly a very young-looking character), but now we're 30 years in the past and her younger "self" is about 5 years old? I just think that there are a few aspects of the game that feel inconsistent to me. Maybe that's part of the demo -- raising questions that will only be answered once you purchase the full version, but I for one am not biting.

Gropitou
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by Gropitou on Jun 12, 10 7:19 AM
Loved the demo (just as I did the original game) but will wait till price goes down to buy, great game when it reaches normal or daily deal prices.

Susanlb10
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by Susanlb10 on Jun 12, 10 8:21 AM
I'm still waiting for my refund. This game obviously has some serious technical problems which probably are due to poor design, and it doesn't seem like a fix is forthcoming any time soon. Why do you not owe your customers a refund? You have the money, we don't have the game. Send the money back, and when you fix the many problems in this game, we may, or may not, try again.
Enough is enough.

GrammaKj
Clownfish
Clownfish
541 Posts

[Post New]by GrammaKj on Jun 12, 10 2:37 PM
Ironically, I'm in a minority again! I prefer The Rabbit Hole to The Ripple Effect. The Rabbit Hole is not as predictable and takes more thought and going back and forth. I just prefer that to the 3 places to visit at a time. Maybe that's because of my passion for Adventure Games and the "Myst-type" back and forth play.

However, they are both outstanding when it comes to graphics and mini games. This is my 4th CE and IMO it comes in second only to Puppet Show: Souls of the Innocent CE. I love the fact that these games are "family friendly" and I can share with my grandchildren when they come over. One of my grandchildren shares my love for Adventure Games and we are both loving the releases of late.

Keep them coming BFG -- you provide entertainment for families 8-80!
(5 stars and 2 thumbs up)

Edited on 06/12/2010 at 2:38:11 PM PST

[Post New]by stankerbell on Jun 12, 10 5:35 PM
This was my first Flux Family game and it wasn't too bad, although I don't think it was worth $20, I finished it in about 3 to 4 hours, but that was after I had to go back and create a new profile since I got stuck at the rabbit hole like a lot of other people.

It looked great, the sound was good; typically I mute all sound in games because it becomes tedious and boring but this was okay.

The only tech problems that I had were getting stuck at the rabbit hole and the cursor lags a bit. Finding the objects and playing the minigames were a breeze.

If anything, I really liked the Atoms minigame; I'd love it as a stand alone game.

[Post New]by southernlady77 on Jun 12, 10 9:50 PM
I tried to play try it before I bought it and after I install it will not start. If I am having trouble playing it on a trial run I don't want to buy it and have the same problem. Is anyone else having the same problem?

[Post New]by yuki222 on Jun 12, 10 11:00 PM
stankerbell wrote:

If anything, I really liked the Atoms minigame; I'd love it as a stand alone game.

I loved the Atoms minigame as well. If anyone knows of any similar stand alone game, please let me know. Thanks.

[Post New]by artsyar on Jun 13, 10 9:59 AM
Read the comments. Saw the possible tech troubles. Downloaded the trial version and my game froze when I opened the drawer in the library. Wouldn't reset even after I closed and reopened. I couldn't move forward from there. Deleted game from computer and will download original game of Flux and see if I like it as much as comments lead me to believe. May try Rabbit Hole later. Right now, I see too many tech problemes to spend $20.

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Jun 13, 10 1:27 PM
Thank you to all who write reviews for games. I am not good with that, all I can say is I love this game. I loved the first Flux Family and this one didn't disappoint me. Thank you BFG and developers. Now I am off to do some Salem Witch Hunting

nikki_UK
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by nikki_UK on Jun 13, 10 1:48 PM
Hi everyone, I have tried and tried and tried to download this trial but although all seems ok as soon as I try to open the game all I get is a screen flicker and back to game manager telling me I have 60 mins left to play! I run on windows 7 with Norton A/V can anyone help please? I need my games to keep me sane while World Cup is on .

Edited on 06/13/2010 at 1:49:26 PM PST

chadilia
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by chadilia on Jun 14, 10 2:33 AM
I'm reviewing this game for Lizzie's contest here: http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/100443.page (although I would probably have reviewed it anyway!)

I only finished the one hour demo so my review won't be super detailed.

Gameplay: 5/5 so far!
I absolutely love that you can get a silhouette of any object at any time. (Hey, maybe there should be a category of HOG called "SHOG"?) And the hint system is lovely, although maybe the girl gives away a little too much? (She told me how to solve the newspaper puzzle before I even found the newspaper... whoops!)

Graphics: 5/5
Beautiful! Great colors, everything is clear.

Sounds: 3.5/5
The music was all right and pretty non-obtrusive (maybe a little repetitive), but most of the sounds were just too dramatic - I actually turned the sound effects down and the music up (usually it's the opposite). Two exceptions - for some reason I LOVED the certain crunchy "gobble" sounds the owl makes when you find HOs (not the hoots), and I sort of strangely like the click punishment sound

Story: tba
From the bit I've played so far, I'm pretty captivated by all these "family secrets" to be found, and really want to find out what's next! Looking good so far! I love finding the little hand-written notes, especially the ones from the kids. It's hilarious what a little tyrant Victoria is!

Looking forward to playing the rest of this game.

AFlowers
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by AFlowers on Jun 14, 10 5:38 AM
I finished the entire game with no problems. Like the first one, the more I play it the better it gets. The music is great, and appropriate for each scene. Even the Hidden Object scenes, not present in the first Flux Family game, are like having nice extras. Rather than a nuisance, I saw them as a way to add some time to the gameplay.

The game is a little too long for me to play in a single setting, but plenty long enough to fill two evenings. Your mileage may vary.

The extras in the CE include the music from the game in mp3 format. I burned it to a CD and listened to it driving to work today.

Also included in the CE extras are six additional scenes. For me, the scenes were an outstanding addition to the game. They were not repeats of the game itself. Rather, they were scenes which added continuity to the original game.

Even the badges helped to flesh out the characters. The badge count logic seems to be a little bit off, but nothing that keeps the game from playing. I missed one the first time I played the game, but was able to get it the next time through. One of the badges even give you a glimpse into the next game.

I played the first Flux Family game many times, have started my second time around with this one, and am eagerly looking forward to the next.

Edited on 06/14/2010 at 5:39:42 AM PST

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Jun 14, 10 5:41 AM
great game,,,I'm so excited about the graphics, the music, and playability of this game. The story is interesting. Compicated enough to make one a little frustrated, which for me is a good thing..keeps me playing. The strategy guide was slightly helpful..somewhat not. A real possibility of buying the collectors edition here.

AlmostSilver
Minnow
Minnow
272 Posts

[Post New]by AlmostSilver on Jun 14, 10 6:07 AM
Loved it!!!!It was absolutely delightful and I had no tech issues. Downloaded quickly and I was able to play without difficulty. Well done, loved the graphics and the animation. For me, worth the extra price for the "extras". One of my top favs.

[Post New]by puglette404 on Jun 14, 10 10:56 AM
what a lovely game! if your computer has a good video card and you can use the HD option, do so! the graphics are sharp and bright. the gameplay is fun and intuitive. you know where to go next with a minimum of head scratching. the hints recharge really quickly, there is a silhouette feature to aid in finding hidden objects and you can "talk" to one of the characters to get a nudge in the right direction.

this is a nice, long game. I stretched it out over a few days because it was so much fun i didn't want to just run through it. the extra levels, although short, are a lot of fun and follow a slightly different story. they don't feel like scenes that didn't make the full game cut.

this is a really well thought out game. i highly recommend it!!

ps - much better than the puppet show CE!!!!! worth the extra money, unlike puppet show.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Jun 14, 10 3:27 PM
I am not one who usually buy's the CE, have been disapointed with past purchases of CE, but after playing the trial version, of this game, I had to have it!
And I can say, that it was worth, every penny spent, finally a CE, that really does give you bonus levels, to play.
Enjoyed the story and the graphics, was a little bummed out because I don't have HD, it didn't take anything away from the game, just would have been an added bonus.
I loved collecting the badges, and this is just my opinion, but I also loved the sound effects, I thought they added to the game play and made for a whimsical atmosphere.
Like the first one, I was completely absorbed, this game is AWESOME, and as usual, top notch in quality.
The hint system was excellent, and you can click on the question mark, to get information on playing the mini's, very well done.
I thought they did an excellent job, at hiding the objects, in the hog scenes, a few where very well hidden, giving the game some challenge.
Also after you complete the game, you can check out your badges, there are 3 types, flux, secret and history, which all tell you more about the story.
The bonus levels were worth, the extra money, for me anyway, I just really ENJOYED every minute, of playing this game.
Of course now, after playing this game, and The Salem Witch, 2 great games in a row, it's going to hard to beat these 2.
Thanks for 2 wonderful days, of gaming heaven :-)

Go to: