Re:Your Comments and Review for The Crop Circles Mystery

[Post New]by texans_andre80 on Jun 16, 10 3:53 PM
This game is quite boring and would recommend it for children that enjoy these type of games and this is a no go for me.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Jun 16, 10 4:05 PM
Overall, I'd say this is a cute game but, as many others said, it is on the easy side. It's great for those new to HOGS and IHOGS and for anyone who just wants a rest from more demanding ones. There was one part that I didn't understand. While I was looking for items customers wanted, the game only let me take care of some of the customers. It changed scenes before all of the customers were served. I don't know if that was intentional or if it's a glitch in the game. Other than that, I had no problems. I thought the graphics were nice. I played the first 45 minutes and I like the game but it isn't anything earth shattering. Don't know if I like it well enough to buy it, though.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jun 16, 10 5:12 PM
If I may comment on comments. Comparing new casual games like this one to what has evolved to become "standard bearers" like titles mentioned, Flux Family, MCFs, HEs Puppetshows of course there is no comparison. Read the credits on these games, think of the money some cost just for development, count how many artists and designers hired to produce some of those blockbusters. Those devs have a longer track record and have obviously funded new games with their previous profits. Not many new devs have reached that kind of creativity and success. Many devs have just dropped out of the casual games business for lack of financing to evolve while some still give it a shot risking all and with fewer staff.

I think "Casual Games" need to be redefined, and maybe tier pricing return, or grading games for novice, casual, advanced. Then compare games within those groups with each other. Save yourself the time of boredom, I used to have a little sign that said "Disappointment is Self-Inflicted by Expectation". Maybe if we didn't raise our own expectations so high and bought more of the fresh newer casual games that we would have jumped at 2 years ago, in 2 years they will have developed with more money to hire these teams of creative people the big guys can. Of course we'd just get 3 or 4 games a year to choose from if they take a year to make. And I can't call most of them "casual".

This game shows good potential for growth with integrity,like some others recently I call very good examples of casual games. They invite many new players into becoming consumers who will eventually evolve too and look for the brainstormers. Games that take me 2 hours to play probably would have given me 4 hours of entertainment 2 years ago. I think it is a good mix.

Comment and review all you want, it's your privilege, but using these comparisons which I'm sure smaller companies DO wish to aspire to as they grow doesn't seem that constructive or even make sense to me.

Edited on 06/16/2010 at 5:45:37 PM PST

xidcrikit
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by xidcrikit on Jun 16, 10 7:28 PM
Boring, unimaginative, no challenge, repetitive all words used above to describe this and I totally agree. Maybe for young kids my not adults. Doesn't require any thinking on an adult mind.

katy12250
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

[Post New]by katy12250 on Jun 16, 10 8:03 PM
I'm going to jump on the minority bandwagon - I liked the game. I thought it had a decent story line as far as I got in the demo, but that could be because I'm interested in things like crop circles.

While it's not the most outstanding game I've ever played, it is a very good game. I used one hint on some of the screens (and had an "aha" moment when the object was shown or a "really?" moment because I would never have found it.). I did find most of the objects easy to find, but that's refreshing after some of the HOGS that I've tried to play where I couldn't find anything no matter how hard I looked.

I really liked the mix of games in this one. Fishies that like HOGS only won't like that, but I enjoyed the TM-like farmer's market, rebuilding the farm, etc. I didn't find any of the non-HOG games very hard (as far as I got) but I could finish them, so that rates pretty high in my book.

I'm going to agree with puzzledone on the "comment on comments." Game developers have to start out somewhere. The developers of this game went to a lot of trouble to produce a well written, interesting game. While their budget might not have been in the 6 figures, any type of game that shows this type of quality isn't cheap to produce. Give the developers for a new twist on the HOG game. Look on the bright side - there's not some brainless bimbo running around waiting to be saved! This game shows intelligence and thought and planning.

This game is going on my buy list. I want to see how it turns out. And, for a change, it looks like I'm going to be able to solve it on my own without resorting to a walk through every few minutes.

I'm going to rate this

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jun 16, 10 8:07 PM
Who says one has to think to be entertained or amused for 2 hours? Obviously we all PLAY games for different reasons. Jeez, maybe at 73 I need to worry about dementia setting in or I am regressing fast. That's kinda scary

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Jun 16, 10 8:18 PM
The Crop Circles Mystery

It was a daaark and stormy night. You see something moving out in the fields! It's... it's...!!

Well, we don't know what it was, actually. It's a mystery, especially when you realize that there are now crop circles out in your field!

Junk-piley hidden object scenes, but at least there's a reason for everything being a mess! Things get progressively better hidden as you progress through the game.

Although there's been a big storm (and the appearance of mysterious crop circles) life goes on, so you have to make money at the Farmer's Market to fix the buildings that were damaged during the storm.

The Farmer's Market portion is pretty cute. Like Gardenscapes, you serve customers, each of whom wants three items.

I don't like that the inventory box closes each time you use something. You frequently need to use more than one thing at a time, just a small nuisance. I also don't like the sound the game makes when you click wrong. Easy enough to fix, I turned down the sound volume and turned up the music

The screen goes dark when you click incorrectly too many times in succession, but only for a couple of seconds.

The music would be awesome in a dark and eerie setting, but this game is neither of those things. It's more like a light-hearted mystery than anything else, which is rather in contrast with the music.

I think that those who like mystery-themed straight HOGs with with few puzzles might enjoy this game.

Edited on 06/16/2010 at 8:21:09 PM PST

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jun 16, 10 8:44 PM
Hey katy12250! Nice to have company. See any good 2 hour movies lately? LOL.That's kinda how I look at games, some are just fun to watch, some I get more immersed in.

First thing I thought of seeing the theme was WOW, great concept. I'd buy and finish it just to see how the treatment of the subject develops. I couldn't help thinking some big dev is going to snap this up and do some fantastic puzzles with crop circle designs. And not just drawing them in like symbols in other mini games. But hopefully this dev will sell enough to do a sequel and further develop their great original idea. Originality is worth something to me at least, and like you say, they did a lot on what budget they had to work with. I don't know if it is a first release but yes, it was carefully done.and not a total clone. I too had to use some hints when the silouettes didn't help, but I'm in more hurry on timed demos. A bit more challenging than usual or even Gardenscape hog scenes.

Out of pure curiousity I want to see where the story goes, so there was enough good writing to get my interest. So, if this were a talent show I'd call them the winner over many new demos, even some others I bought just for amusement. I don't know how one prices potential, but I'm betting on them and just want to say to them keep going, just don't put her on a space ship looking for her abducted grandfather or a desert island. Been there, done that. Well, maybe a tour of England to research more in different seasons.

anonymiss
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by anonymiss on Jun 16, 10 8:45 PM
Reading all the reviews, it just goes to show you how everyone has different tastes - which keeps life interesting, right?

Guess I'm probably in the minority as I can't stand the Flux Family Secrets games (don't know why, but the storyline/s and graphics in them leave me cold). I am however quite enjoying this game. No it's not particularly difficult nor original and no it's not of the same standard as, say, Puppet Show or MCF, however, I find it a refreshing change of pace to play a game every now & again that doesn't require you to think too deeply. I've purchased so many games lately that I've barely had time to complete more than one or two, so this particular game probably won't be an immediate purchase, but I may use a game credit next month if nothing else takes my fancy in the meantime.

Happy gaming all!

Edited on 06/16/2010 at 8:47:35 PM PST

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Jun 16, 10 9:56 PM
I have to disagree with anyone who thought this game was for children. I'm not sure the subject matter would be interesting for them nor the hidden objects necessary to find. I'm not sure I would want my children playing it. It isn't scary, but I just don't think the theme is anything that would recommend itself as a child's game.

That said, I really wanted to like this game. In the beginning, I was really enjoying it. Only two things really bothered me. The first is that some of the hidden objects were very sensitive as to where to click. The second was the loud error noise whenever you happened to click wrong. Since some items were so sensitive, I tended to hear the error noise quite often and finally had to turn the sound off.

My problem with the game came at The Farm 2. Some of the hidden objects were difficult to find and some of the descriptions really didn't help. It was nice that the hints refreshed quickly and you could see the silhouette of what the item looked like without using a hint, but still, unless you have a lot of knowledge about tools, etc. it will be very frustrating. Also, the scenes in this section tended to be less clear than in the rest of the game. I felt in some of those scenes like I was constantly waiting for the hint button to refresh which made the game boring in that whole section.

Until I got to The Farm 2 section, I was prepared to purchase the game, but now I think I will pass. Since I just finished that section when my hour ran out, I was halfway through the game and I just didn't care for it enough at that point. Maybe as a DD, but not as a $6.99 game.

Edited on 06/16/2010 at 9:57:39 PM PST

jacquibagley
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by jacquibagley on Jun 17, 10 3:18 AM
sorry I bought this one...............very disappointing. wished I had read the review/comments before I rushed in and bought it.........oh well......

SherrieS
Minnow
Minnow
275 Posts

[Post New]by SherrieS on Jun 17, 10 6:36 AM
as a HUGE IHOG/FROG/HOG fan I tried the entire 60 min demo
Pros: Ease,color is bright & cheerful , relax mode (no timer option) , Curser can be changed, unlimited hints (30 second reload time) too many bad click & only 5 sec delay) Free silloette hints

CONS:That flashing light is aggrevating, No extra hint capture option (like maple leave or crows) Music is in a ugly loop (but you can adjust it off & listen to the news like I do)

I think it was very easy, relaxing FUN game. no huge pressure. Looks like a good 1.5-2 hour game for experienced, 2-3 hours for younger crowd (both new to HOGS & age wise)

IMHO: 3/5

Prolly good for DD, or when I need one more punch for free game

Ilkie
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by Ilkie on Jun 17, 10 10:23 AM
I had no technical problems with this game; surprising on my old Windows XP laptop!
It was a pleasant enough hour trial but i won't be buying it. There are many better HOG's out there.
If you want a basic, easy game then you'll like this one.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jun 17, 10 11:30 AM
Bought it and just finished playing it to the end. It's a light fun game . Not a very long one, but long enough. Has an engaging story with a decent enough ending. Left me smiling some.

The combination of game types flowed really well, and was fresh - as in nicely different. Most of these HOG games, you do a room, then do a mini game, and predictably back and forth. With this one, I didn't notice a repeating pattern to when you do the farmer's market or any of the various hidden object types. If there is a set pattern, it didn't jump out at me.

I liked the main character, a female who changes her own flat tire without whining about not being able to reach AAA or her hubby to come do it for her. And in case you haven't changed one yourself lately, the game is a good refresher . I was raised in Nebraska, and in many ways felt right at home playing this.

Not sure about replay value - for now I'm not tempted to play more right away. I'm sure I'll play it again at some future time when my memory of it has faded a little.

Edited on 06/17/2010 at 11:54:02 AM PST

LadyWyntre
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by LadyWyntre on Jun 17, 10 3:32 PM
I bought this game because--well, it's summer, and while I'm a very busy grad student, I neither teach nor take classes in the summer. So I bought and played it through. It's about a 4/10 for me.

Rather than give a full review, I want to echo two comments made on this thread that diminished the experience of this game.

First (and most importantly) was the comment by Gieyo that often there was more than one of the requisite object in a particular scene, but the game had one specific object required. One that comes to mind is a scene where the player must find an American flag; also in the scene is a full astronaut's costume, including the full, obvious American flag patch (which did not count) :/ There were SEVERAL other examples--I think the one that kept tripping me up was a notebook. There were 87 items in the scene that could've been called a notebook. And in one of the scenes near the end, the "notebook" requested was a NOTE PAD rather than a notebook, even though there were notebooks in the scene! Aargh! I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned this--perhaps because the hints are generous. But for the anal-retentive perfectionists among us, it's annoying.

Second, and less important for me but still annoying, was the comment by rosie28sammy about the pixel demands of the game. Seriously, it was VERY sensitive, and the "you're wrong" beep very annoying. I clicked in the middle of a CD, and it didn't count; since some of the objects were quite small, I eventually turned off my sound.

The game would've been about a 7/10 (which for me means replayable in a year) without the annoyances. The plot was mediocre and could've been more interesting. I actually liked the "repair the farm" device, even with the relatively silly untimed time management portion.

Lunarea
Guppy
Guppy
153 Posts

[Post New]by Lunarea on Jun 18, 10 8:16 AM
My review will probably repeat a lot of the things that have been said, but by gosh, I'm posting it anyway.

Let me begin by saying that I won't be purchasing the game. I'm on a "game" budget and while I enjoyed this game, I fear it's a little too easy for me. That's not to say I wouldn't recommend it to others. In fact, I recommended it to a dear friend who's just getting into the casual game market. He also downloaded the free Ravenhearst and found it very difficult. So, being introduced to a lighter and easier game was just right for him.

Graphically, the game looked pretty nice. The scenes were junk-piled, but there was always a reason. I thought that was a pretty good idea on the behalf of the developers. There are sparkles (or stars) when you click on the right objects - which could be annoying to the "quick trigger-finger clicking" crowd.

I didn't care much for the music or the sound effects. I appreciate that the developers took a step toward having appropriate mood music, but I don't think they hit it right on the mark. I can't fault them for it, though, as proper atmospheric music is pretty tough to find.

Gameplay was simple and clear. There were the jumble hidden object scenes, similar hidden objects and a slight twist to the hidden objects in the form of a market. The market reminded me of Gardenscapes, which I really enjoyed. Such a variety of actions made the game interesting and less repetitive.

I know the story wanted to add some intrigue and mystery to the mix. But I can also see that the developers wanted the game to be pleasant, so they steered away from making it a dark and dreary game. In some ways, it was nice to have a slightly different approach to handling a mystery, and I like that they took a risk. However, it didn't grip me as much as a "conventional" mystery would have.

I would consider buying this at full price if I didn't have a budget to worry about. While not terribly challenging, I still found the game enjoyable. And sometimes there's no better feeling than to "finish" a game - especially after spending weeks on the never-ending Rosecliff island. So, The Crop Circles Mystery is going on my Daily Deal watch.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Jun 18, 10 2:57 PM
Boring game...even my 8 year old grand daughter would be bored...she has been playing HOG type games since she was 4 and this one would bore her to death.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jun 18, 10 5:53 PM
a nice and casual slower paced game for beginners, easy puzzles, relaxing music, and cute graphics... if you are afraid of trying hidden object games, give this one a try and be ready for a foray into the unnatural and alien carved world of "crop circles"

TnTexas
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by TnTexas on Jun 19, 10 12:43 PM
The following comments are based solely on the demo.

Game: The Crop Circles Mystery

Pros:
- you have a choice between timed and untimed modes
- the hint system was unlimited and didn't take an extremely long time to refill
- the minipuzzles felt like they were part of the storyline rather than just tack-ons
- the items were usually findable with just patience
- very little velcro used in the HOG scenes

Cons:
- a small penalty for too many non-productive clicks in a row (I dislike those on principle - in the untimed mode, the screen simply goes black for a couple of seconds)
- the HOG scenes came awfully close to being junkpile scenes in a couple of places; others were simply cluttered scenes

Overall Impression:
I thought this was a pretty solid iHOG. It wasn't outstanding in my opinion, but it wasn't awful either. The storyline was holding together pretty well, and the puzzles and HOG scenes furthered the story rather than simply feeling like they were tacked on for the fun of it. It did feel like it was a bit on the easy side, so those looking for a challenge probably won't be impressed; but if you're looking for something easy to take up some time, I'd suggest you check this one out and see if you like it.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jun 19, 10 1:58 PM
Played half of the demo. Found it a little bit boring, not a buy for me.

Go to: