Re:Your Comments and Review for Agatha Christie: 4:50 from Paddington

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Jun 17, 10 10:42 PM
I've never been a fan of Agatha Christie novels. Just not my cup of tea. However, I went into this game with an open mind. Yes, the graphics and the music are good, but a lot of the objects were very small. I chose the timed mode and I finished the first chapter in my hour. Once I had gotten to the part where I had to accuse someone, I felt that I really didn't even care anymore. There was a lot of reading that just didn't interest me. If this becomes a DD, I might think about purchasing it, but definitely not for $6.99. I'm glad everyone seems to enjoy it, but as I said, it isn't my cup of tea.

jeannemaria
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by jeannemaria on Jun 18, 10 12:08 AM
I just downloaded the game. I really like this game and it is a definite purchase. I played in the untimed mode. I used to have Death on the Nile (my first HOG game) on my previous computer. Recently I purchased Dead Man's Folly which i also like very much. I now will have one Hercule Poirot and one Miss Marple. I have three other games lined up: World Mosaics 3 and/or World Riddles: Animals and Fairies to fill up my punchcard and for my full June punchcard.

In this game some of the items are very small but i managed to find them, some with using a hint. I will NEVER buy a game like Azada or Puppetshow anymore. I can not do these games without a walkthrough and I hate using a walkthrough. IMO it is cheating and i hate to cheat. The puzzles in the Mystery PI series i managed to do. I never had to use a walkthrough.

Agatha Christie: 4.50 from Paddington

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Jun 18, 10 4:47 AM
I thought the music was boring and the items WAY too small. I played the demo and that was all I cared to do.

The BEST Agatha Christie games so far are Peril at End House and Death on the Nile, the Poirot ones. I played those through more than once.

huggzz
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by huggzz on Jun 18, 10 8:49 AM
This was a great game. I used to live in Paddington as a child, this was a lovely memory for me along with a super game. The cabin in the train was so real.. Could just slap the seat and see the dust.. LOL And the sitting rooms are just as they should be.
I thought it was too short and not very hard but still very enjoyable. Off to buy it now.

Oh .. finished level 5 (out of 11) on demo for those that need the information.

Thanks BFG..

Annie

thecatspjs
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by thecatspjs on Jun 18, 10 9:12 AM
This, to me, is a really good game. Not quite on the same level as the Poirot HOGS, but still very good. I'm having fun with it but know that it will not be a really long game, which is a little bit disappointing. I'm so grateful that it isn't a "collector's edition." I bought the Puppet Show Souls CE and only did that because I thought the first Puppet Show game was absolutely fantastic. I get tired of games where you have to find your way from room to room and back again, which was the case with Souls. I get lost and confused and even the walkthrough and the built in strategy guide don't help for that.

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Jun 18, 10 9:16 AM
Great trial game but went to buy it and got an error message so can't play the whole game.

azmesa340
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by azmesa340 on Jun 18, 10 1:11 PM
GREAT game - few hints used and absolutely no "walk thru" needed - very easy to find your way around. Am waiting for another one.......!

be_fair
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by be_fair on Jun 18, 10 2:00 PM
Positive: Game is lively and the hints are refreshed automatically.

Negative: Objects blend in too much with the neutral backgrounds. There needs to be more contrast in the imagery.

Nice puzzles in between.

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Jun 18, 10 2:10 PM
briteredlips wrote:Beautiful game. Crystal clear graphics. Nice story. Fans of these games will be pleased. Timed or relaxed, puzzles can be skipped. Recharge hint system. A few more interactive aspects than the previous games, though I think this game is quite a bit easier than the others. All in all, a really nice game for anyone. This is a buy for me. I give it a big Thumbs Up

About that hint system -- am I doing something incorrectly? I clicked on it and the magnifying glass is so tiny, a person needs a magnifying glass to see the magnifying glass. In addition to that, the hints do NOT even show you where the item is that you're searching for and THEN in addition to that -- when a person does finally find the item, even with the hint magnifying glass over the object, the magnifying glass does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING -- it does not enlarge the item, it does not indicate that the object's been found, NOTHING -- it does NOT even decrease the #of hints you have left when you've clicked the item with the hint magnifying glass over the object!!! HUH??? Was thinking about purchasing this game but now I am not so sure.

MEnr56

Pat_ric_ia
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by Pat_ric_ia on Jun 18, 10 3:25 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed playing the trial game and decided part way through that I would definately buy this one. What a joy! I'm an Agatha Christie fan anyway and I remember seeing the film with this plot starring Margaret Rutherford (the very best Miss Marple for me!) Can't recall the title ... anyone out there with a better memory?
Many thanks BF for such a refreshingly enjoyable game to add to my collection.
x

[Post New]by MalteseBaby on Jun 18, 10 4:03 PM
MEnr56 wrote:
briteredlips wrote:Beautiful game. Crystal clear graphics. Nice story. Fans of these games will be pleased. Timed or relaxed, puzzles can be skipped. Recharge hint system. A few more interactive aspects than the previous games, though I think this game is quite a bit easier than the others. All in all, a really nice game for anyone. This is a buy for me. I give it a big Thumbs Up

About that hint system -- am I doing something incorrectly? I clicked on it and the magnifying glass is so tiny, a person needs a magnifying glass to see the magnifying glass. In addition to that, the hints do NOT even show you where the item is that you're searching for and THEN in addition to that -- when a person does finally find the item, even with the hint magnifying glass over the object, the magnifying glass does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING -- it does not enlarge the item, it does not indicate that the object's been found, NOTHING -- it does NOT even decrease the #of hints you have left when you've clicked the item with the hint magnifying glass over the object!!! HUH??? Was thinking about purchasing this game but now I am not so sure.

MEnr56

The magnifying glass serves as a cursor of sorts only. Choose the glass to signify that you need a HINT, then click oin the item in the list which you can't find. It WILL be immediately visible on the game screen. The magnifying glass does not belong in the game playing field at all.

kelnjor
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,088 Posts

[Post New]by kelnjor on Jun 19, 10 6:35 AM
I have never played any of the Agatha Christie games before, but this had good reviews, so gave it a go...played 30mins, got half way through chapter 4, and had to quit, i was just too bored..maybe as i am a bit over the straight HOGS. the graphics were nice, but most of the HOG scenes were just junk piles, with the items being way to small or blending in..won't be a buy for me..lucky if i bother with the rest of the demo.
but for those who enjoy these games, hope you like it

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Jun 19, 10 12:21 PM

The magnifying glass serves as a cursor of sorts only. Choose the glass to signify that you need a HINT, then click oin the item in the list which you can't find. It WILL be immediately visible on the game screen. The magnifying glass does not belong in the game playing field at all.

THANK YOU; knew that I was doing something wrong. Have now put it in my "DEFINITE BUY" folder and will decide by month end which game I'll use my game credit coupons on and which I'll save to start the next month with.

MEnr56

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jun 19, 10 2:03 PM
Played 5 minutes of the demo and just couldn't resist it: I've read all the Agatha Christie's books and I love Miss Marple. Great graphics, objects not to easy to find,

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jun 19, 10 2:05 PM
Too bad that I know how it end, still it didn't help me with Evil under the Sun !

Kayster
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by Kayster on Jun 19, 10 6:21 PM
Thanks for some very good reviews up there fishies!

I was on the fence about this one, but now I am going to jump into the pond.

I do like straight HOGs and that is pretty much what this is, with a few new twists (such as finding the object from the dialogue). Not overly challenging but for me a nice change of pace.

I do not think this is a "junk pile" - but that could be defined many ways. When I think "junk pile" I think of items the wrong size and in impossible places (a giant pink tricycle on the ceiling). There is a lot of stuff cluttering up the scenes, but these folks are still living in the Victorian-era homes. I did not feel any of the objects were too small or too camouflaged.

Lucy is a spunky, fearless character, as she is in the book. I know how it ends but that won't bother me.

Just as Miss Marple does, I can appreciate a mystery to while away an afternoon.

catscat
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,293 Posts

[Post New]by catscat on Jun 20, 10 8:26 PM
nanaseaweed wrote:This game was very entertaining for the hour. I got to Chapter 3, but my Windows 7 program keeps the game compact. So I have to get used to finding things. Sally

Not sure what you mean about Win 7 ??

I have win 7 with wide screen monitor set on 1440X900, I think, and have no problem.

My problem with the game was that the storyline was so subtly at the top, I hardly noticed it. Therefore I was just doing a random HOG without noticing any story. Just seemed kind of boring. Got finished with 4 of 11 in demo. Maybe as a DD, but not really worth it for a credit to me. I like a bit more interaction than this one offers.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jun 21, 10 4:29 AM
It is a really nice game. Graphics are so gorgeous, you can really feel the "victorian atmosphere", and all the smells, loveliness and charms of good old England. (Lived in Surrey for years). Objects are quite small, but it doesn't bother me finding them as I enjoy my surroundings. I played it relax mode, now I will play the timed mode. In order to have an opinion I turned on the music (which I never do as it usually spoils the game) and that's the only "bémol" in this game, too japanese or chinese to fit with the game. A little tune on the piano would have been much better. YES, I LOVE THE GAME ! Death on the Nile is another good one. (bought more or less all the Agatha Christie!)

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Jun 21, 10 5:26 AM
Well-done game from the opening screen to the closing credits. Graphics look almost photo-realistic, but some HOs are a bit tough to find. Don't know if this might be a spoiler, but to increase the hint count, find at least three items on the list and then click on them in quick succession--you may be rewarded. The interplay w/the characters and the clues they give is important too. The background music is soothing but repetitive. About time we got to enjoy Jane Marple's sleuthing techniques besides Hercule Poirot's.

P.S. Relax ("take your time") is a good way to go (unlike all the previous Agatha Christie games).

Edited on 06/21/2010 at 8:22:19 AM PST

Dianeteacher
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Dianeteacher on Jun 23, 10 4:09 PM
The game appears to be great for many fisheeeesss, however, looking at it through 64 year old eyes - this is a pass for me. Maybe, when it goes on sale.
Why do they have to make the objects so small. It ruins the game.
Only played 7 minutes into the demo before I said NO!

Old Brown Eyes
Diane

Go to: