Another "dark" game *sigh*

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

Re:Another "dark" game *sigh*

[Post New]by _DD_ on Jun 19, 10 2:01 PM
ember89 wrote:how about trying "The Mysterious Past of Gregory Phoenix" for a change? it's got ALL the bright lights and fun a gamer could want!
LOL!! (never drink when reading...but hey, that was unexpected!)

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Jun 19, 10 3:49 PM
P.S. Snakes and toads are not evil or dark-- they are just simply interested in being snakes and toads. They want to have enough to eat, not get eaten, etc.... Indeed, toads are kind of happy-- They sit around all day eating flies-- sort of like my last boyfriend.

ROFL! That conjured up images of the frog prince! But I happen to think toads are kind of neat little critters. LOL, they have discovered that if they sit around the porch at night, they will get a lot to eat, as the bugs gather at the lights. I have to be careful where I walk if I go out - I don't want to step on them!

I didn't find this game very "dark" at all. And I sort of like the story line, it's different. But why would anyone who doesn't like "dark" games even try one with a name like "Blood Oath"?

I agree, the HOGs were a little slow this month, but there are some good ones in the pipeline. And watch for Brunhilda - it's about magic, but it is funny, witty, and a blast to play. It's from the makers of Saqqarah, and is a fantastic IHOG. Not dark, that's for sure.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Jun 19, 10 3:57 PM
I have a lot of HOG/IHOG/Adventure Lite that are NOT occult:

1912 Titanic Mystery
Adventures of Robinson Crusoe
Amazing Adventures: The Lost Tomb
Amazing Finds
Can You See What I See?
Count of Monte Cristo, The
Danger Next Door: A Miss Teri Tale Adventure
Dinertown Detective Agency
Dream Voyagers
Forgotten Riddles: The Mayan Princess
Forgotten Riddles: The Moonlight Sonatas
GHOST Hunters: Haunting of Majesty Manor
Gotcha: Celebrity Secrets
HE: Everest
HE: Titanic
Hidden Mysteries - Civil War
Hidden Wonders of the Depths
Little Shop: Memories
MCF: Huntsville
MCF: Prime Suspects
Monster Quest
Mortimer Beckett and the Secret of Spooky Manor
Mysterious City: Cairo
Mystery in London
Mystery Legends: Sleepy Hollow
Mystery Masterpiece: The Moonstone
Mystery of Shark Island
Mystery Stories: Berlin Nights
Mysteryville 2
Mystic Diary: Lost Brother
Nat. Geo: Herod's Lost Tomb
Pirateville
Scruffs, The
Steve the Sheriff
Sunset Studio Deluxe
Alexandra Fortune: Lunar Archipelago
Autumn's Treasures: The Jade Coin
Awakening: The Dreamless Castle
Curse of the Pharaoh: Napoleon's Secret
Dark Hills of Cherai
Dark Parables: Curse of Briar Rose
Dark Tales: EAP Murders in the Rue Morgue
Doors of the Mind: Inner Mysteries
Escape the Lost Kingdom
Fiction Fixers: Alice in Wonderland
Flux Family Secrets: The Time Ripple
HE: Amazon
Hidden in Time: Mirror, Mirror
Hidden Secrets: The Nightmare
Hide & Secret: Pharoah's Quest
Laura Jones and the Gates of Good & Evil
Little Noir Stories: The Case of the Missing Girl
Lost in the City

None of these are really "dark" or occult, though some do have dark themes to an extent, like Lost in the City.
(contd.)

Edited on 06/19/2010 at 4:08:14 PM PST

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Jun 19, 10 4:13 PM
Here are some more. And I do not by any means have all of the games that might be suitable. I left in the murder mystery ones, because evidently murder is not as offensive as Tarot carts or pentagrams.

Margrave Manor 2: The Lost Ship
Marooned
Masters of Mystery: Blood of Betrayal
Million Dollar Quest
Mirror Mysteries
Mortimer Beckett and the Lost King
Murder, She Wrote
Musaic Box
Mushroom Age
Mystery of the Crystal Portal
Mystery of the Cystal Portal 2: Beyond the Horizon
Neptune's Secret
Nick Chase and the Deadly Diamond
Nick Chase: Detective Story
Nightshift Code
Nightshift Legacy: Jaguar's Eye
Profiler: The Hopscotch Killer
Robinson Crusoe and the Cursed Pirates
Romance of Rome
Samantha Swift and the Golden Touch
Samantha Swift and the Hidden Roses of Athena
Serpent of Isis, The
Slingo Mystery
The Jolly Gang's Spooky Adventure
The Tudors
Three Days: Zoo Mystery
Tiger Eye: Curse of the Riddle Box
Treasure Seekers 2: Enchanted Canvases
Treasure Seekers: Visions of Gold
Treasures of Mystery Island
Valerie Porter: Scarlet Scandal

anonymiss
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by anonymiss on Jun 19, 10 6:01 PM
I admit I'm a huge fan of dark games, but I would like to see a little more variety in new games with a lighter theme such as the Yard Sale games. It's not that I don't enjoy the darker-themed games (I enjoy them very much), it's just that a more equal balance would be nice too, for those days when you want to play a HOG or IHOG and you're in the mood for something cheerier. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining (and I actually quite like this game), it's just that I have a few things going on in my life at the moment and I'd like to play a new game with a lighter theme to help take my mind off my troubles and just to help cheer me up a little.

Edited on 06/19/2010 at 6:04:17 PM PST

puppycake
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by puppycake on Jun 19, 10 8:20 PM
Like I said in another thread about a week ago, I checked out the past 33 Hidden Object games and 25 of them had some form of occult in them. I am just saying that never have I had extra credits for so long. I would be happy at this point if even half the hidden object only were dark and questionable. But the top 33 when I last checked, 25 of them were, that % is too high IMO.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Jun 20, 10 4:59 AM
supply and demand.....we demand they supply

b00kworm
Clownfish
Clownfish
912 Posts

[Post New]by b00kworm on Jun 20, 10 6:54 AM
I guess that pretty much sums up the "why do they give us all the dark games" question. Not that I mind - I like them.

BTW: "The Crop Circle Mystery" definitely isn't a dark game, either. There's a lot of not so dark games out, too, but a lot of gamers prefer the theme - if it's done well.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Jun 20, 10 12:23 PM
there is a discussion in chitchat about games based on stephen king books....i think it would make a great scarey game

polexia
Herring
Herring
389 Posts

[Post New]by polexia on Jun 26, 10 10:09 AM
Some of them I like and some I don't. I don't accept everything in a genre just because it's dark. If it's well done and has good graphics and a good story then great. I do see a lot of "dark" games with the same old stuff in them, though. You're still looking for crowbars and frogs or whatever. The setting doesn't really change that aspect. I like light games, romance games, sweet games, dark games, STEALTH games, adventure and on and on. It has to be a good game, though. just being dark or having a heap of boring skeletons and witches in it (I've played all the Dungeon Sieges TYVM) doesn't automatically make it good. In fact I think some of these developers use the theme as a cop out.

polexia
Herring
Herring
389 Posts

[Post New]by polexia on Jun 26, 10 10:12 AM
phatkhat wrote:Here are some more. And I do not by any means have all of the games that might be suitable. I left in the murder mystery ones, because evidently murder is not as offensive as Tarot carts or pentagrams.

Well murder spans belief systems so it's not really comparable to tarot cards and pentagrams which are used in religious belief systems. Murder is real world man against man and tarot and pentagrams symbolize supernatural, divination, "magic" etc. Totally not comparable.

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Jul 5, 10 7:38 PM

I Loooooooooooooved this game!!! Keep um coming.. can't wait for the sequel!!

I said I wouldn't buy any this sale..

I shouldn't.. I really shouldn't and save my

..but I just couldn't stop myself..

...just 1 or 2..

..turned into 12!

Now I'm so glad I did!

I bought all out of the dark games thread. 12 spooky wonderfully dark scary suspenseful games in all, hooray!!

So yes indeed.. keep them coming and I'll keep looking down at nothing but lint in my pocket!

lil_chickadee
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

[Post New]by lil_chickadee on Jul 6, 10 2:23 AM
Just take a look at what's making a million dollars a second in the bookstores and on movie screens and you'll have a preview of what kind of games we'll be inundated with next (and for 6 months to come). Harry Potter came out, and HOGs and TMs (not to mention young adult books) became all about witches, wizards, and magic academies. Then as the movies got darker, the games did, too. Evil sorcerers out to conquer the world.

Then Twilight hit the shelves, and everybody I know is reading a different series of vampire/werewolf/occult hunter books by a different author. Or playing a different vampire/werewolf/occult hunter game. It's money and demand and pop culture that drives these trends. Been that way since gaming started (Indy Jones and all the action/adventure/archaeology games, Star Wars and all the space fighter games, etc etc etc).

Tailteann
Clownfish
Clownfish
584 Posts

[Post New]by Tailteann on Jul 6, 10 6:25 AM
I passed on trying this game when it first came out; but the title of this thread is making me reconsider. It must trial worthy since it's causing such a stink. Thanks guys!

Go to: