bball111
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Blood Oath

[Post New]by bball111 on Jun 19, 10 2:48 PM
When I started it I almost deleted it after 10 minutes or so. I kept playing and started to really enjoy it. It grows on you. I bought it and do not regret it at all. Lots of nice touches you don't see in other games.

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Jun 19, 10 3:00 PM
Blood Oath

A spooky IHOG-lite, complete with blood (gee...), pentacles, vampires and anything else the developers could think of to creep you out It's really not that bad, creepy-wise, but the squeamish might have troubles with the hint meter.

Search for objects by silhouette. There is a glowing light above each item, which I initially thought was odd, but it's actually a hint. Items without a glowing light can't be found on the scene until you do something interactive. A nice little addition to the difficulty is that there are sometimes multiple items to interact with (and find objects for), and each item has a separate list of to-find items. You can automatically switch back and forth between them (when you find the right items), or to make it more challenging, find all of one object's items before going on.

The hint meter takes a while to charge, but there is a way to get it to charge faster by doing a mini-game. Collect "cards" in each (indicated) room to access game, which will allow you one of four bonuses (I won't give it all away ).

Unlock new powers as you progress through the game - powers that will enable you to move further about the mansion. A nice touch that will keep you from wandering around in places you don't need to be yet.

Between the story and the music, this game is immediately immersive. I even forgot that I was supposed to be writing a review! A definite thumbs up from me This is going on my to-buy list. Perhaps my SOON-to-buy list!

EDIT: Make that my BOUGHT list!

Edited on 06/19/2010 at 3:14:59 PM PST

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Jun 19, 10 3:05 PM
eddyatwork wrote:General recommendation: Try before you buy. This will be a no go for many.

The description made this look to be an interesting game but there were just too many elements that I don't like in it. I played the demo for 23 minutes before I finally bagged it.

The biggest complaint which I'm sure many will share is how dark the game is. Admittedly it is about vampires but it was very difficult for me to see any of the objects. Secondly is many of the objects are small which is bad enough, but the game is also very picky about where you click which was very annoying. Even when using a hint I had trouble seeing the object and was just randomly clicking in many cases. This brings up the clicking penalty which blacked out the screen. The timer was extremely slow and while you can get powerups to shorten it, it just seemed excessively long. It was refillable fortunately.

The sounds are another issue. In the first couple of rooms you had repeated small arms fire going off which got irritating and distracting. I'm sure the intended effect was to add some urgency since the first character you meet tells you to move quickly but it wasn't helping me to enjoy the game. There was spooky music which went into the feeling of the game and I did like that part.

There's a storyline but it's much shorter than most games from what I could tell so players who aren't into reading a lot will appreciate this. I've stated before that I'm strongly into story so this was a negative point for me.

One thing that bothered me was the attitudes of the characters. Kali looked disgusted to be in the same room with you and Tristan openly insults you. This is a real sore point with me. I want the game to welcome me, not to belittle me. Sure it's a game, but I really don't like rudeness. In real life I won't play games with people who are insulting so I sure won't tolerate it from a computer.

All in all, this will be a game you either love or hate.

Great review eddyatwork! I especially liked what you said about the attitudes of the characters and I agree with you. I wouldn't play games in real life with anyone who insults players. I haven't played the demo of this one, but I'm about to and I'm sure I won't like the insulting character, either. As for the rest of the game.....we'll see.

vonniefaye
Herring
Herring
325 Posts

[Post New]by vonniefaye on Jun 19, 10 3:06 PM
I didn't think I would even be interested in this game. Vampires, blood, bats, same 'ol same 'ol. But I downloaded it anyhoo, and guess what I actually like it. I have Flux and the Salam Witch games currently bought and nibble on them on and off. Since the Hotdog TM game blew my wrist to kingdom come, I think this little game will sooth me. It is really interesting, lots of to-ing and fro-ing, but it is keeping me awake.

[Post New]by militarymommy on Jun 19, 10 3:11 PM
I am glad I read the posts before attempting to play the demo! I DETEST H.O.G.'s that either have the items in pieces to be put together or show shadows of the objects to be found. I find that highly irritating. I do not mind the dark scenes or the vampire theme of it, however, better than flashing lights and bobbing scenes! Ahem.
Anyhow, very disappointed that there were comments about very tiny objects too - my eyesight is not what it once was!
Sad to see all of this about the game, glad there are some fishies that are enjoying it though. From the posts on it so far though, I won't be trying or buying.
I know there will be one soon that will be something to 'flip' about!
Happy gaming everyone!!!!

greenladytaz
Stingray
Stingray
4,795 Posts

[Post New]by greenladytaz on Jun 19, 10 3:54 PM
I didn't mind finding thing by shapes. But 3 things irritated me..I'm not going to be insulted in game play in real life, why would I pay money to do it on a computer? The other thing is, some of the things were so small I had difficulty seeing them, probably due to the darkness of it. I was having trouble finding the last white feather, and the hint meter kept pulling up the map and circling the nursery, of which I couldn't get into yet..what's up with that.? Or did that mean that is where the last feather is? The last thing is between hard to see items, I'm running back and forth like a yo-yo finding a part for this,now a part for that. Forget it, I'll go back and play Dire Grove, or RTR, or Salem Witch Trials. This one is a NO BUY for me.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Jun 19, 10 4:30 PM
In the kitchen you click on the wolf and are shown the items to find for "wolf chow" ... since when are a scarf and a hunk of wool considered chow??

I think it's supposed to be a pun, sort of.

The red scarf = Little Red Riding Hood (and the wolf)
The wool = a wolf in sheep's clothing
The piggy bank = The Three Little Pigs

I didn't notice that the punnish nature of this quest carried over to the others, but maybe I missed it.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Jun 19, 10 4:49 PM
I liked this game when I beta'd it, and I still like it. I actually like the music, too. The only thing I am annoyed with is the time required to change scenes, especially when you go to mist mode.

I didn't find the objects terribly hard to find, except for one screw for the door handle. Also, it seemed pretty logical, the stuff to find and place. I am engrossed in the story, and will probably buy it next month. Not hard, but fun.

doccat5
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by doccat5 on Jun 19, 10 4:52 PM
I played the demo, found it hard to see some of the hidden objects. It's an ok game, but not for $6.99. I'd consider buying at the special $2.99 price. I liked Puppets much better and bought that one.

FARRALOU
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by FARRALOU on Jun 19, 10 6:16 PM
played demo about ten minutes before buying.very unusual game with capabilities of changing form etc.you can't compare this game with puppetshow,deadtime stories as it is unique unto itself.

barregar
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,249 Posts

[Post New]by barregar on Jun 19, 10 6:22 PM
I bought this game because of its unusual gameplay. Very interesting, and I like that you can unlock achievements and it sure looks like there are lots to unlock. The minigames are also quite unique.

[Post New]by bettyboopy1 on Jun 19, 10 7:14 PM
one of the most irriatating games, hard to find the tiny things , kept going back and forth between room, hints take too long to regenerate , not happy with it at all, would never buy it

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Jun 19, 10 7:28 PM
Hmmm, well, I believe in giving a game a fair chance so even though I am so not into vampires (I find the whole subject stupid and boring), I did play the whole hour. I found the graphics and music fine and didn't have too much of a problem with extremely difficult to find items.

That said, it took me a while to figure out that you could only find items in a particular room that sparkle. Yes, I vaguely remember there being a "tutorial" that popped up, but I sort of skimmed through it too quickly. Because of that, at first I thought the game was ridiculous. However, that is my fault. I do enjoy going from area to area to find things so that didn't bother me although I did have to use hints a couple of times so I would know where to go next. Sometimes it did get a little frustrating to think you had finished a room, only to find that you had to go back because something that wasn't red beforehand now was.

The game play itself was relatively good, but I just can't get past the subject and as someone else mentioned, the rudeness of the other characters. Maybe I just like the fairy tale ending, but I would rather have the character working to change from a vampire into a human again instead of working to save herself as a vampire and kill other humans. Just a little too dark for me personally. Glad others are enjoying it, but I won't be purchasing the game.

xidcrikit
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by xidcrikit on Jun 19, 10 8:45 PM
I always turn off the music because my dog hears the music and keys on the fact I'm not working on the computer and starts to demand my attention. I found this game confusing. In the beginning all the sudden you have this female vampire telling you to get out of the house your in and I didn't understand what was going on. This left me disoriented until well in to the hour. Don't think I'll buy this one.

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Jun 19, 10 8:50 PM
Maybe I just like the fairy tale ending, but I would rather have the character working to change from a vampire into a human again instead of working to save herself as a vampire and kill other humans.

*SPOILERS*
Later on you get a choice on which way you will turn. I think it affects the outcome of the game (one would think!), but I haven't reached the end yet, so I'm not positive.
*END SPOILERS*

That being said, it is a VERY dark game, so if that bothers you, I wouldn't recommend it. Still, I think it is one of the most enjoyable IHOG's I have played for a while... PuppetShow not included

Well worth $6.99

Jude_Rigby
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by Jude_Rigby on Jun 19, 10 10:59 PM
Vampires = No Buy

Plus judging by some of the reviews and the style of the game I'm saving myself some money not buying it. So thank you everyone for reviewing! It's def. appreciated!

Edited on 06/19/2010 at 11:00:09 PM PST

[Post New]by juanitaperez on Jun 19, 10 11:09 PM
I PLAY THE DEMO IS EXCELLENT!! I HOPE YOU HAVE MORE LIKE THIS IS DIFFICULT, BUT IS GREAT!!!

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on Jun 19, 10 11:41 PM
Count me in amongst those that LOVE THIS GAME! I love the music, the atmosphere, the storyline, the characters and the goals. Out of 20 achievements I only got 5 in the demo hour so this will be a long game for me. The most important thing about this game, that really makes it a pleasure to play for me, is that the crystal lights up for objects to be found in that location. I get frustrated with games where I have to scan multiple locations and never know if I found everything there is to find.

Not only is this game fun to play, but I genuinely want to know how it ends. It drives me to finish playing it. Off to buy it now and continue the adventure!

tedderpic
Flounder
Flounder
2,029 Posts

[Post New]by tedderpic on Jun 20, 10 1:44 AM
bball111 wrote:When I started it I almost deleted it after 10 minutes or so. I kept playing and started to really enjoy it. It grows on you. I bought it and do not regret it at all. Lots of nice touches you don't see in other games.

That's where I'm at ...played 35mins and so far has'nt click with me ...but I'll go back in and play to the hour and see....

b00kworm
Clownfish
Clownfish
912 Posts

[Post New]by b00kworm on Jun 20, 10 1:49 AM
I was a bit unsure at first when I played the demo (mostly due to the many negative reviews I had read before trying), but soon found I liked the game very much.

I have nothing against wandering back and forth between locations (old adventure gamer here, it's what we do) and found looking for new objects to manipulate (by finding other objects) quite interesting.
The fact that I had to develop new abilities in order to reach new areas of the game also is nice. You don't find this idea in many games.
I have also played both pathes (after the decision) already and can say that they play slightly different indeed.

The game isn't that much of a HOG, FROG or IHOG and more of an adventure 'light'. You don't get extra screens to go looking for objects and you don't look for ten objects just to find one for your inventory. What you are looking for is what you need to move on. Yes, you have to find objects (and quite often small ones), but it still isn't completely the same.

The shadowy forms of the objects you see actually help. While I agree that most people don't need to be shown what a screwdriver looks like, there are stranger objects in the game you need to find - and for those the shadow form surely is a help.

There's also just one mini-game and it's sort of optional. You can gain bonuses by playing the game (and won't get all achievements without playing it), but it's not necessary to play it to be able to finish the game.

The story, too, is nice, even though foreseeable to a certain degree. I'm glad there's no sparkly vampires around, but pretty normal ones. (Fan of vampires? Yes. Fan of Twilight? Definitely not.)

Can't say much about the music, as I usually turn it off.

Go to: