johnop
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

Re:Dream Chronicles: The Book of Air Collector's Edition

[Post New]by johnop on Jun 24, 10 9:12 AM
I've downloaded this game twice and am still unable to get it to play. I get sound and only a black screen.

[Post New]by ManuelaAnna on Jun 24, 10 10:09 AM
The game looks quite short, when I compare the first three parts with it. Am I wrong?

[Post New]by Coronagold on Jun 24, 10 10:26 AM
Like all Dream Chronicle games, this one is also short. The bonus material isn't worth the CE price. Reminds me of the bonus "room" in RTR. Pretty shallow.
However, the graphics are top notch. Most puzzles are a tad on the easy side which is fine for me.

Edited on 06/24/2010 at 10:27:42 AM PST

BelindaR53
Clownfish
Clownfish
800 Posts

[Post New]by BelindaR53 on Jun 24, 10 12:24 PM
I agree also, about the length of the games, should be made longer for the CE's. Or...receive the game CD along with purchase of the 19.99. I think they should consider lowering the price for CE's now, to 14.99.

Audreyfavre wrote:"...And I'd like to add this note to the game developers: Many of the people who are unhappy with the cost of the Collector's Editions state that more generous extra game play time is what would make them more likely to invest in CE's. This being the case, why don't you release them with much more extra game play INSTEAD OF all the wallpapers, concept art, screensavers, soundtracks, etc.? I feel that your sales of CE's would skyrocket if you did this.

Classicaljazz "

Thank you, Classicaljazz! My sentiments exactly.
Audrey

huntington101
Salmon
Salmon
2,525 Posts

[Post New]by huntington101 on Jun 24, 10 12:48 PM
chris122049 wrote:Wow! I just got my email from Playfirst saying it was released and checked their site out. They aren't offering a trial!!!!!!!!! Just to buy it for $19.99! That's why I love Big Fish! Here I was able to download the trial before I buy it. I wonder why Playfirst isn't offering the trial.

However, Playfirst did show screen shots and boy, are they gorgeous! I can't wait to play the game to get to the other sites they have created.

It makes sense that Playfirst does not have a trial available today since it is Tomorrow's Game Today here.

cepe
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by cepe on Jun 24, 10 1:16 PM
Like many others, I have looked forward to the next DC in the series and having been through the 1st hour I'm left feeling disappointed overall.

On the plus side the art working is up to the usual very high standard - almost mesmerising as the level of detail draws you in. But the game play itself is very simple - no real complexity. And there is little need for a walkthrough or a strategy guide when there is considerable help within the game itself (at casual level).

Another issue is that in the time available there did not appear to be any link back to the previous stories. The characters are the same but I didn't find the link. But, fair play, maybe (hopefully) that becomes obvious later.

I could live with the voices and the music if I was feeling challenged but, disappointedly, I'm not. I have bought CEs in the past but this is not going to be one of them. I'll hold on for the regular edition and think about whether to buy it then.

But wow - whoever puts this together in visual terms - really talented because its beautiful.

[Post New]by kitkat1978 on Jun 24, 10 2:16 PM
Way, way, way too short. I practically finished the game during the demo.

The graphics are stunning, yes, and the voice acting is a nice feature. The actors don't sound wooden and their accents fit well with the story.

But....jeez, from what I saw on the walkthrough, I was literally only one or two puzzles away from finishing the game during the demo. Really??? Wow.

[Post New]by nightingale0001 on Jun 24, 10 2:41 PM
I downloaded and played the Collector's Ed. trial.
I do love this game and when to Play First where they had a break down on what you get for CE vs SE (Standard Ed.)
The SE is just the game. The CE includes the basegame, 1 hrs. worth of extra gameplay, music soundtrack, exclusive art work, wallpapers/screensavers and a sneak peak at DC:Book of Water.
The only thing I would have been interested in was the extra hour gameplay however I would not pay $13 more for 1 hours worth of gameplay.
I shall wait for the SE as none of the added features are valuable to me.

Nightingale

kelnjor
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,088 Posts

[Post New]by kelnjor on Jun 24, 10 10:25 PM
chris122049 wrote:Wow! I just got my email from Playfirst saying it was released and checked their site out. They aren't offering a trial!!!!!!!!! Just to buy it for $19.99! That's why I love Big Fish! Here I was able to download the trial before I buy it. I wonder why Playfirst isn't offering the trial.

However, Playfirst did show screen shots and boy, are they gorgeous! I can't wait to play the game to get to the other sites they have created.

Hey, i know when i went to demo a game on PF once, it said it was redirecting me to BFG to d/l...i am pretty sure they are the same company or something like that..i am sure as soon as something is released on PF, it is automatically released here, so maybe that is why no trial available there..

divegal
Minnow
Minnow
246 Posts

[Post New]by divegal on Jun 24, 10 10:47 PM
tarbarme wrote:I could have saved money on this one. The graphics and sounds are great but the game is too short and the "Bonus" level is a joke. All u do in the bonus level is unscramble letters or do jigsaw puzzles to see some concept art and a boring picture at the end. The boring picture is supposed to be the sneak peak of the next book. Its only a house in the middle of a desert.

Thank you, though I'm sorry it wasn't worth your money

I've been reading the same thing around the 'net and now I don't feel so bad about not being able to afford the extra

divegal
Minnow
Minnow
246 Posts

[Post New]by divegal on Jun 24, 10 10:49 PM
Classicaljazz wrote:And I'd like to add this note to the game developers: Many of the people who are unhappy with the cost of the Collector's Editions state that more generous extra game play time is what would make them more likely to invest in CE's. This being the case, why don't you release them with much more extra game play INSTEAD OF all the wallpapers, concept art, screensavers, soundtracks, etc.? I feel that your sales of CE's would skyrocket if you did this.
Classicaljazz

This. Brilliant.

3x the gameplay would be worth 3x the price.

The other stuff, and one puzzle estimated to take an hour (but reportedly much shorter)? No thank you.

silverfiesta
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by silverfiesta on Jun 24, 10 11:01 PM
Save your money - and if you cannot afford it don't be disappointed - even tho it's hard to wait - wish I had waited
Thot since I loved all the other DC games and they seemed to me to increase in difficulty, length and interest this one is a BIG disappointment. Way too easy to justify the extra bucks - I finished it all in about 4 1/2 hours including the BONUS, "hour plus" extra content.

Sooooo sad - I had expected a real challenge but this is nowhere near as well done graphically as Chosen Child - it had really challenging puzzles - these were a walk in the park

Live and learn

Myssty50
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by Myssty50 on Jun 27, 10 1:07 AM
I love the DC series, played all 3 prior to this and even though I couldn't really afford it bought it as my first CE... well that's the last CE I will purchase... it's not worth it and I can wait til the regular version comes out from now on... I truly think this one was shorter then the last one, although some of the puzzles towards the end were a little harder then the ones at the beginning of the story, mostly though because I have short term memory probs and kept have to go back and forth between scenes to get all the order correct... but the story was great, the graphics beautiful, I found the music soothing... the extra play not really worth it, just five extra puzzles to find about 20 secs of preview... in my opinion even if it was the regular version I still would've been disappointed in the shortness of it... I did get the hour free trial first, but didn't realize that I was almost 1/2 done or more after that first hour... think maybe it took a total of 3 hours total... there could've been more interaction in each of the five map areas... I played on casual, only found 179 dream gems, but didn't skip any puzzles, I may go through it one more time in the challenge mode... I'm glad I bought it, because I did enjoy it, just waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy to short and wanted more...

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on May 10, 11 9:00 PM
puzzledone wrote:It is really beyond my comprehension how anybody could look at the quality graphics in the promo and walkthrough and not wonder how a game like this could ever sell for less than $20. Isn't creativity and talent, or even original ideas worth anything anymore?

You don't pay for the graphics in a game; that is just window dressing. You pay for the play value of the game. The game has to be fun. It's not worth $20 because the game is way too short. You can play it in one sitting. The BFG games are simply mild diversions. They are not and are not meant to be like the regular games on the market, so they should cost much less.

For instance, Age of Empires, Heroes of Might and Magic, Syberia, and Fallout New Vegas can be had for $29.99 to $34.99 and I played each of them for months and thoroughly enjoyed them. I finished the Book of Air in a few hours and the Bonus Chapter was very unoriginal and not very good. The game also has no replay value for me. You play it once and that's it. That's why the game is not worth $20, in my opinion.

Edited on 05/10/2011 at 9:02:18 PM PST

Go to: