padres
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dream Chronicles: The Book of Air Collector's Edition

[Post New]by padres on Jun 24, 10 1:07 PM
The hour demo flew by. I won't buy the CE (so far I never have) but I eagerly await the regular version of this fun game. Will also check out the previous Dream Chronicles which I somehow missed. Now if the regular version of Flux Family Secrets would only hurry up and become available I'd be a most happy camper. This is an excellent month.

stanliness
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dream Chronicles: The Book of Air Collector's Edition

[Post New]by stanliness on Jun 24, 10 1:21 PM
This is my first Dream Chronicles - not sure how I've missed all the rest.
The voice is the same one from Clockwork Man - kinda cute on that one, because it fit the character. Here it's just a disembodied voice and does get annoying.
I tried the hard mode, and got stuck on the fuel gauge. Have pulled off large groups of stones, several times, and can't get the gauge full. Any suggestions? If the stones would fill in from the sides as well as down, it would be feasible to get them all off in groups. So far I haven't been able to do that.
Other than that the graphics are great and I like it enough to buy - the regular version.

[Post New]by glitterbutterfly on Jun 24, 10 1:56 PM
I love the Dream Chronicles games but I won't be buying this as a CE. I've bought quite a few in the past but this doesn't grab me enough, and the CE extras sound a bit insulting, to be honest. Definitely strikes me as trading on the name and the goodwill of fans and I'm not keen on that approach at all.

But maybe I'm just grumpy because I got stuck on the second book in the library. At least it wasn't a matchstick puzzle...

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Jun 24, 10 2:00 PM
Well, I DL'd it, and it opened up, which is a miracle in itself! I do appreciate the comments here, because it makes me feel better that it isn't worth paying extra for, since I will not buy CEs. I'll wait for the regular version, as well. When DC3 came out, I couldn't wait, and joined up at PF just to buy it early. But it was only $10, which I am okay with. For $20 I can buy a really great LFA somewhere. With the discs.

My question is that the blurb says:
Experience all the exclusive Collector’s Edition extras!
The Collector’s Edition includes:

* Bonus locations and gameplay
* Magnificent soundtrack
* Built-in Strategy Guide
* A sneak peek of the next game
* Check out our Blog Walkthrough

So is the soundtrack gone in the SE? I did really like the music and the cutscenes, and wonder if they are removed for the SE. That would really, really suck.

For those who say it is too easy... Play it on challenge mode! It isn't easy!

For those who say the graphics are beautiful, and the scenery is so sublime... Play Syberia, and you will see where the style came from.

Luckystar18
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,663 Posts

[Post New]by Luckystar18 on Jun 24, 10 2:16 PM
I bought this game this a.m and finished by 1:30ish pm (with breaks) - just didn't seem to play as long as the other 3. Was a good game but I wasn't totally as excited about it as I had anticipated. Puzzles were fun and relatively easy, I played on relaxed mode so I am not sure if that was the reason. I think that if I knew then, what I know now about the game, I would of waited for the $6.99 version.

[Post New]by hookedonHOG on Jun 24, 10 2:37 PM
i paid full price right away because i love dream chronicles,but the strategy guide and walkthrough
is of no use. Needed it a couple of times and had to quit and use the regular walkthrough. I should have waited and not spent the money on something that cant be used.

[Post New]by WeeHillyWilly on Jun 24, 10 2:56 PM
A definite buy for me. I have all the others, and loved all but one of them. Which ever one had the chess game in it with the squares lighting up in a color sequence mini game......it was too fast for me, and therefore I never could finish the game cause you couldn't skip it. But all in all, I love these games. And the voice of the woman doesn't bother me in the least.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Jun 24, 10 3:17 PM
I beta tested this a while back and I have to say they have made some wonderful improvements since the beta version. All the other Dream Chronicle versions previously were a little difficult because of there either being no walkthrough and/or there being practically no instruction. This installment is different.

First, I thought finding the gems in this edition was easier. They didn't seem to blend into the surroundings as well. Secondly, I really liked the strategy guide being with the game. I found it very helpful in that it guides you, but doesn't solve the puzzles for you. Granted this is probably only found in the CE version, but it is still nice to have. I also liked having the choice of basic or challenging mode. Everything else (graphics, music, etc.) ran fine for me and seemed of the same quality as the previous versions.

I finally remembered to look at the extras before my time ran out and it seems like the same thing as with other CE versions....MP3 dowload, wallpaper, etc. There was an extra scene, but you can't access it until you finish the regular game. Overall, at the regular $6.99 price this is definitely a purchase. At $19.99, I think I'll wait to compare it to the regular when it comes out especially not knowing how long the extra gameplay is.

asierrahiker
Marlin
Marlin
9,070 Posts

[Post New]by asierrahiker on Jun 24, 10 3:23 PM
I want to love Dream Chronicles games, really I do. They look pretty but somehow the game play and I do NOT mix. My brain doesn't match up with many of the puzzles and I feel soooo stooooopid when i play any of the DC games. It feels like when I was back in school in math class with a teacher I couldn't understand. Ughhh!

Not fun. I did the one hour demo, didn't get very far, even with checking the walkthrough several times, I'm embarrassed to say. I can't tell you how many times I said aloud, "I don't get it....."

This happens every time with all of the Dream Chronicles series. Sorry, not the most articulate review but I have a hard time even getting a handle on why I don't like it except that its just agonizing for me. Weird.

I did play it on Challenge Mode which probably was a mistake based on my past difficulties with this line of games. Not my cuppa tea.

JOACT2050
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by JOACT2050 on Jun 24, 10 3:33 PM
I'm realy disappointed ! It's very short, not worth the price I paid !!! I got black out screens then it froze several times. As someone else said it not quite as good as the others, like them I don't know why.

Koalanut
Marlin
Marlin
8,777 Posts

[Post New]by Koalanut on Jun 24, 10 3:39 PM
Thanks for all the reviews! I was so looking forward to this cause I really loved the first 2 and the third one was pretty good. I had 3 punches left this month and was considering it, but as I am okay with 20 bucks for a game (used to pay at least that or double for an adventure game when I could afford it), it sounds really short. So I will be waiting for the SE.

LunaNik
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by LunaNik on Jun 24, 10 3:47 PM
On the plus side, the graphics were beautiful, as usual. I liked the music so much that I DL'd it to iTunes. Game play was similar to the first three games. I was glad to see less of the "find all the pieces of this and that and reassemble them" tasks.

On the minus side, it was rather short and the back story was lacking, IMO. Additionally, the elements of the story lines from previous games were left at dead ends.

I'm talking specifically about whether Lyra is, in fact, the Chosen Child, and whether Lilith was really pregnant with a fairy-human crossbreed who might challenge Lyra's claim to the fairy throne. Since Lyra was a child at the end of the third episode, and is now 18, it seems to me that the authors skipped over a lot of story line.

Unless, of course, they're going to tie it all together in memory sequences or something. Obviously, since this episode is the Book of Air, we can expect the Books of Water, Fire, and Earth. And, possibly, Spirit.

I would have liked to see a bit more innovation in the mini-games as well. The "unscramble the words in the book" one is getting pretty old. Also, I hope they come up with another way to power the airship; that game wore on me too. Although, if the next episode is the Book of Water, we'll likely be traveling by ship instead. Hopefully with a different system of powering it up!

Overall, I'd give it out of five, mostly because of the graphics and music.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Jun 24, 10 4:09 PM
The Dream Chronicles series has been a wonderful set of games so far. I have thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere of the fanciful location and the intrigue and mystery of the story of Faye and her family as it has unfolded. I could connect with Faye and was happy to follow her and help her master the puzzles and traps in her quest to reunite her family in the previous DC games.

The newest DC game seems to have the appropriate title of Book of Air. Lyra’s voice and dialogue make her seem like an Air Head. After playing the opening scenes of the game demo, I visualize her as a cross between a Goth Girl and a Valley Girl. She’s dressed all in black with her pale face locked in an eternal quizzical expression except when she occasionally leans back and blows a huge baby pink bubble, ponders it, then adroitly sucks it back between her teeth.

After listening to her for an hour I am starting to think that her parents sent her into the other dimension and are hoping the puzzles prove to be really difficult for her so they can have a nice long break. This game just doesn’t seem to draw me into that other dimension like the other DC games did.

I have not bought a CE since I fell victim to the Dire Grove hype. I was really looking forward to this game and was ready to pay $20. I am so glad that we have the 1 hour demo and I am so glad that the people who bought the CE version of the game have come on here to let people know what the extra content in this game is. People who bought the game are saying that the extra game play is only a few puzzles and they can be seen in the blog walkthrough. Someone said that the preview for the next game is only one screen shot. It is too bad that this game may be the weakest of the series since it has been released at the highest price.

Edited on 06/24/2010 at 4:12:06 PM PST

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Jun 24, 10 4:13 PM
I'm going to demo it, BUT I may $$ it after the July 1st.

So, that would give me 3 on punch card, for this month all I need right now is 1 to have a full card.

THANKS for all the great reviews.

PEN

4mybirds4
Salmon
Salmon
2,663 Posts

[Post New]by 4mybirds4 on Jun 24, 10 4:53 PM
I could not wait for this game to come out and I knew I would purchase it right away, .....that is until after I read the reviews. I am so glad I waited to purchase the CE. I still haven't tried the demo, am so disappointed after reading the reviews, I may just wait to demo after the regular version comes out.
Thanks for all the reviews!

dcairns
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by dcairns on Jun 24, 10 5:17 PM
I hate to say it but this one is a definite rip off! $20 and it took 2 hours to complete it. It was boring and nowhere near the other Dream Chronicles. I wish I had saved my money but there haven't been many good games lately so I was really looking forward to a good one.

This has been about the third or fourth collection game I have purchased and regretted waiting because they haven't been worth the money. I think I am going to have to refrain from buying the collection games as it seems like they are putting too many as collection games to make more money, even if they aren't worth the $6.99! Frustrating!

Pertigal
Shark
Shark
10,783 Posts

[Post New]by Pertigal on Jun 24, 10 5:47 PM
I loved all three DC and rushed to buy this in the early morning. Boy, am I disappointed!!! LizzieK is right...I never had a reason to care about this girl (wondering how she got the accent as I don't recall her mother having one or her father). She certainly doesn't sound like a girl...sounds like a middle aged woman. The puzzles were repetitive....lots of scrambled words, jigsaws and gears. The strategy guide was nice but not worth $13. And it was really short. Also, there were a lot of glitches. The guide I paid so much for ran off the page so you were missing information and no way to get it. ETA: found out the bar next to the info is a slider, but you'd never know...so I guess you can access the info. Talk about ticked off!!! This happened more than once. Each time you board the airship you have to set coordinates and refuel. More than once, I did this and was told I still needed to do it...so back through the whole process, sometimes more than once. Same thing with the music scores and the water wheel. Very frustrating to have to keep re-doing the same thing. This was my first CE...I loved the series so much that I felt confident buying it...never again.

Oh, and I liked being able to use the jewels for something but they were way too easy to find. They really dumbed down the game this time.

Edited on 06/24/2010 at 6:48:52 PM PST

firebird40
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by firebird40 on Jun 24, 10 6:50 PM
I loved the previous games in this series, and was thrilled to see a new addition to it. I did the demo, but didn't realize that I was nearly through with the game. I bought it and really was disappointed. Its very short and really lacked the charm and storyline of the others in this series. I don't feel that it was worth the $20, and the extra content was, well, nonexistent.

Probably will not buy any more in this series if this is the direction they are headed-

kmoar5
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by kmoar5 on Jun 24, 10 7:20 PM
It was ok. Love the graphics but it was way too easy and too short. I got through it in a couple hours so not all that impressed.

[Post New]by stephaine78 on Jun 24, 10 7:42 PM
I am sadly disappointed! I think this may have been the easiest and shortest of the series. I want my $20 back!!

Go to: