what a waste of money!

Re:what a waste of money!

[Post New]by missbizzylizzy on Jun 27, 10 1:01 PM
lydiajmack wrote:I have never heard such whining. come on people, it is just a game. such venom is coming out of these blogs. Jeez!!!

Sorry but I've read several other comments from others who rarely post but 'felt the need to' due to the length of this game. I did enjoy the game but $20 for barely two hours?? I was kicking myself for not trying the demo first but to be honest, I would have bought it on the strength of the demo. My main complaint was the very short length of the game. You don't know how long the game is going to be until you reach the end but I don't think anyone expected such a short amount of gameplay for $20.

Also, I am normally one of the last people to complain about this type of thing because you are right, it is just a game. But surely if enough people let BFG know they're unhappy, BFG might actually do something about it. Well, probably not, but if no one says anything at all, BFG won't know people are unhappy and definitely won't do anything.

Anyway, I've offered my humble opinion and there wasn't any 'venom' in any of my comments. (Unless there is a new definition for 'venom'??? )

[Post New]by Egypsy on Jun 27, 10 3:30 PM
lydiajmack wrote:I have never heard such whining. come on people, it is just a game. such venom is coming out of these blogs. Jeez!!!

One of the things that I find interesting about our, admittedly sometimes whiny (though I prefer to say outraged) comments, is that so many of them come from people like me who have never posted on the forums before, or have rarely done so.

What you're seeing is not people who get online and complain about every little thing for the heck of it, but people who are genuinely dissatisfied customers looking for an outlet - and in my case at least, hoping to keep others from wasting their money.

And as for "it's just a game" - Sure it's just a game. But it's a game we paid good money for, expecting a product of much better quality than what we were given.

Edited on 06/27/2010 at 3:36:46 PM PST

[Post New]by chris122049 on Jun 27, 10 3:52 PM
I agree that everyone who is dissatisfied should go to PF's web site and complain on their to the developers. That's what will produce a change.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Jun 27, 10 5:09 PM
Big Fish is not a bystander when it comes to the quality of games that are released as Collector’s Editions. Here are a couple of forum posts by Picman that talk about the relationship that BFG has with the developer when BFG decides to market a game as a Collector’s Edition.

CE's are based on agreements between developers and BFG and then have to hit a certain beta survey score threshold to be eligible.

[Some games are] exclusive to BFG and BFG pays the developer to build the extra features for the Collector's Edition.

I imagine that the beta survey score was good for DC Book of Air. People taking the beta survey did not know that the game was so short. I imagine that BFG knew how long the game was when they decided to approve the release of the game as a Collector’s Edition. Based on the fact that Play First and Big Fish are business partners, I imagine that BFG knew everything about the game prior to the release of the game.

The game developer is Kat Games. They should bear the greatest responsibility for how the game was created and the content of the game. But I imagine the whole game package content and marketing and approval as a CE game was a collaboration between Kat Games, Play First and Big Fish.

Big Fish is accountable when it comes to the quality of games that are released as Collector’s Editions. This is where the game is being sold and players should express their opinions about the game to Big Fish, Play First and Kat Games.

Edited on 06/27/2010 at 9:03:32 PM PST

hbgroadends
Guppy
Guppy
147 Posts

[Post New]by hbgroadends on Jun 28, 10 10:30 AM
LizzieK wrote:Big Fish is not a bystander when it comes to the quality of games that are released as Collector’s Editions. Here are a couple of forum posts by Picman that talk about the relationship that BFG has with the developer when BFG decides to market a game as a Collector’s Edition.

CE's are based on agreements between developers and BFG and then have to hit a certain beta survey score threshold to be eligible.

[Some games are] exclusive to BFG and BFG pays the developer to build the extra features for the Collector's Edition.

I imagine that the beta survey score was good for DC Book of Air. People taking the beta survey did not know that the game was so short. I imagine that BFG knew how long the game was when they decided to approve the release of the game as a Collector’s Edition. Based on the fact that Play First and Big Fish are business partners, I imagine that BFG knew everything about the game prior to the release of the game.

The game developer is Kat Games. They should bear the greatest responsibility for how the game was created and the content of the game. But I imagine the whole game package content and marketing and approval as a CE game was a collaboration between Kat Games, Play First and Big Fish.

Big Fish is accountable when it comes to the quality of games that are released as Collector’s Editions. This is where the game is being sold and players should express their opinions about the game to Big Fish, Play First and Kat Games.

Very interesting, LizzieK! Thanks for the info. Although I've been a member for several years, I still consider myself a relative newcomer to the gaming scene, so I'm still learning the ins and outs of the industry. I agree that if BFG was fully involved with this particular version, then they should have known that the short play time and inferior game quality (in comparison to the other three, that is) would be an issue.

I don't know anything about how the beta testing works, but I would have thought that the beta testing would involve the whole game. Is that correct or do the testers only get an hour like we do on the demos? If the testers get the whole game, you would think that there would have been comments from them regarding the short length of the game.

Considering the outrage this game is generating, I would be really curious to know Picman's thoughts on this.

Thanks again for your additional insight!

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Jun 28, 10 10:52 AM
The Play First sneak peek was released to their members this past March. This was the public beta testing. It was limited game play for the first part of the game, so no one could tell how long it was going to be and I don't remember Lyra's voice being a part of the sneak peek.

I don't know the Play First beta testing procedures for the whole game. Whole game beta testing varies greatly from one developer to another. Comments from other game developers have indicated that whole game beta testing is usually by the game developers themselves or a small number of outside beta testers. Many times the whole game beta testers are mentioned in the game credits with a special thanks.

Edited on 06/28/2010 at 10:53:58 AM PST

blm50
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by blm50 on Jun 28, 10 2:09 PM
I loved the other three DC games and was pleased to dl this one for the trial. Somethong told me not to buy this CE and after playing for a short time I realized this was far from the great game the first three were. I will not be buying this CE and hope that all the comments here make BG and Playfirst understand that we expect games in a "trilogy" or second "trilogy" to be as good, if not better, than the last. I know that makes it difficult for developers as they have to at least reach the mark they have already set.

limey_scale
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

[Post New]by limey_scale on Jun 28, 10 3:50 PM
I have brought several CE's in the past (Dire Grove, Puppet show etc) and have not been left disappointed or cheated. This one has left me very angry. After playing DC 1,2 &3, I was expecting so much more. This game is a total rip-off and I think BF should take stock of all our comments. To put this game out as a CE knowing that gameplay at best is 2 hours worth is disgusting.
VERY ANGRY UK

1misskitty
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by 1misskitty on Jun 29, 10 12:45 PM
I have to agree with all of you about this game. Nothing like the others.I too feel that I have wasted my money on this one. I would give it a big thumbs down and not even 1 star. Sorry..........

[Post New]by rcarol on Jun 30, 10 4:13 AM
It is just too bad that this game came out as is. The DC series, up to this point, exceeded expectations of story line and game play; and provided hours of challenging play.

After playing about 30 minutes of the demo, I had a feeling that this one would not be one to purchase; so, I checked the forum. At that time I did not see very many negative comments and with a heart filled with hope and high expectations, purchased the CE version of DC 4.

This series had such a great following of fans and the developers have really trashed their own brand. If they are planning going on with this series, they really need to recall this game and get it right.

S1bby
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
3 Posts

[Post New]by S1bby on Jun 30, 10 4:20 AM
Well I sent a complaint to Big Fish on 26th June asking for 1 game credit, it's now 30th and I have heard absolutely nothing.

So they get my money every month and are always quick to answer technical problems, but now that I am pointing out a major flaw in a product and asking for some compensation, it takes them over 4 days?

Reall very poor customer service, not what I have come to expect.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Jun 30, 10 6:34 AM
I would like to thank everyone, for their reviews, I am so glad that I read the post before purchasing this game.
Usually if it is a game that I know and trust, I just go ahead and buy it, like many of you did, so I understand fully the frustration and anger, when your trust is broken, because I have been there.
And what really frustrates and angers me, is that the developers, I feel, take advantage, of the customers trust, when they put out a product, that doesn't even come close, to what the customer has come to expect, from previous games in their series.
I purchased a game a few months back, from the BF site, that was so short, you couldn't even call it a game, neither BF or the developer, would take responsability, the developer just gave me the run around, so in the end, I got no refund.
I was so angry, because I buy a lot of games, each month, and have done so for going on 2 yrs now.
Since being to short, is not a valid reason, for a refund, you are suppose to either, read people's opinions, or check out the walkthrough's, I no longer feel my personal opinion, if the game is to short, matters.
I don't go to the store and ask everyone shopping, if a game is good, or how long it is before buying it, if I pay for it, than I expect a certain amount of game play.
I feel for everyone, who lost their money, and like me, I am sure they will think twice, before purchasing another CE, you live and you learn I guess.

gilly85
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by gilly85 on Jun 30, 10 6:54 AM
Phew !! saved by the forums - thanks fishies

I already put a note in an earlier forum that I had really enjoyed the demo and would wait for the $6.99 version before buying - now however I can choose another game without worrying.

Thank you all fishies from all over the world
Here's one happy Starfish

[Post New]by NonBelvr on Jun 30, 10 3:41 PM
I must say that I am jealous of those who were able to finish the game.
Many of us seem to be having problems with the functionality of the game and can't get past the Clockmaker's house because our maps won't reveal any new locations.

Any hints or tricks we need to know about that those of you who completed the game can give us???

I feel very cheated and am almost ready to give up on this game.
Like everyone else, I loved the other DC games and expected so much more from this one.

[Post New]by Kaatje00 on Jun 30, 10 8:19 PM
I have to agree with the other posters on this thread. Only wish I had taken the time to read the forums before I wasted $20 on this lousy game. I loved the other DC games and after playing the hour free trial thought, tho different than the other three, it would surely follow suiit and be a great game. What a great dissapointment. I could not beleive I was done already...kept looking for something that I must have missed.
BFG, I feel totally ripped off. Shame on you.

[Post New]by Valentinos_Mom on Jun 30, 10 9:26 PM
I was going to buy the CE of this game, after playing the hour long free trial. Glad I decided to read comments before I purchased. This is actually the first DC game I've played. Sounds like I should not waste the money on this game, and instead purchase the other two!! Thanks for the heads up, y'all!!

[Post New]by katsboston on Jun 30, 10 11:22 PM
i totally agree, an I did play the download first. I finished the purchased game in 2 hours. So very disapointed in this DC game. The bonus chapter was nothing really, just solve a puzzle and open a chest....not worth the money at all.

Go to: