Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dream Chronicles: The Book of Air

[Post New]by rumplestiltskins on Jul 9, 10 6:31 PM
To Pooters8 I usually read the comments on a game before I buy it but did not for DC. Glad I didn't because I really enjoyed playing it. I played for about 7 hours, taking short breaks [ I too am a slow player ] . I must be the only one in the world that liked this game. I too have all the other DCgames and while this one was totally different, I found the puzzles to be challenging but interesting. It sounds like everyone else expected more but I was very happy with it. Thankyou Big Fish. I'll be waiting for the next one. rumplestiltskin

ginny46
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by ginny46 on Jul 9, 10 6:41 PM
This is my first time commenting on a game, and I have been a member for
a while. I used my game credit on this game because of my love for the other games of this series, but really! ARE YOU SERIOUS! This Game was so short
I Have never felt that I didn't get my money's worth except today.
Although I enjoyed the series so far, I will never buy another Dream Chronicles
Game again.
Sorry

BuggsyBoy
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by BuggsyBoy on Jul 9, 10 6:52 PM
Totally disappointed!! I can't really say anymore that has not already been said. The first DC game was pretty good, and the 2 not bad, but they just keep going downhill from there. Can't imagine paying for the Collectors edition, $6.99 was more than enough for this latest installment.

lexi4
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by lexi4 on Jul 9, 10 7:17 PM
I couldn't agree more Fauxgina. I'm glad I saw you review because it kept me from wasting my money. I played the demo long enough to know that this game isn't any better than the last DC game.
The voice was annoying.

[Post New]by Yatama on Jul 9, 10 10:06 PM
What a waste of soneones time. I enjoyed the first Chronicals, but this was awful. I will check out the next Chronicals before I purchase. Not near long enough.

arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by arthurC on Jul 9, 10 10:42 PM
This game just didn't feel right. The graphics were excellent .. the puzzles were good -but the unique misty/fairy atmosphere which made the previous DC's so special has disappeared! Replaced by a squawky-voiced precocious child who is oblivious to the danger she's in and obviously as thick as two short planks, but who can (amazingly) solve puzzles which even Fidgets wise old Dad can't figure out!

What happened to Lara's mum and dad? Where's all the 'fairyness' gone?
Very very disappointing.
Jo
(perhaps there's prequel on the way?)

ValerieG
Minnow
Minnow
251 Posts

[Post New]by ValerieG on Jul 9, 10 11:08 PM
I was so excited for this game, but waited until I finished Flux Family and A Gypsy Tale to download it and start playing. But as i usually do, I read the comments before downloading the demo

I haven't started to play it yet but I feel let down already because of all the negative reviews. I can't give an opinion yet but will start playing in the next few minutes, but I feel like i don't have anything good to look forward to anymore

Too bad the game has sizzled out...the first 3 were fantastic

[Post New]by Catwo12345 on Jul 10, 10 12:20 AM
Just to set everyone straight this was the 4th in the series. the 1st one was simply called Dream Chronicles, the 2nd was called Dream Chronicles the Eternal Maze, the 3rd Dream Chronicles the Chosen Child I have them all just fantastic games. I have played them over and over. NOT THIS ONE I was so just so disappointed it was so boring so stupid so everything dumb. It did not follow the story from the other three. What happened did a new person write the story. There was no story!!!!! I was all hyped up waiting for the new story to see how everyone was, her Mom was pregnant with another baby supposedly a boy and nothing just nothing about anyone. I am really glad I did not buy the CE version which I was going to until I played the Demo and it didn't look to promising. Sorry BF but it was a Big Bust. I felt the same way with Mystery Case Files Dire Grove it was a big disappointment to after all the others in the series. I may never buy another one of them either.

bluecat434
Clownfish
Clownfish
858 Posts

[Post New]by bluecat434 on Jul 10, 10 2:16 AM
maybe my mind will change as i get further into the game, but i seem to be the one dissenter here. so far, i'm really liking this one (and i did play DC 1 and 2---oh, yes, i forgot there was a 3. i loved them all.) the only complaint i share so far is that much of the voice acting could use some help.

it's a lift after "dark tales" (which everyone seemed to love, but i hated. ) so who knows how my tastes are running, or if they'll be reflective of anyone else's.

i still think this game has a certain flow to it that "dark tales" lacked. when i'm stuck, i'm more intrigued with finding the reason why i've become stuck---i usually discover a logic to things, if i look at the problem closely. (SPOILER: oh---i get it now! the circle around the house is a sundial!")

in "dark tales," i was often just frustrated-stuck. *slaps forehead* "oh---i didn't think to look on the water wheel for the blue button, how silly of me."

it's turning out to be a commentary on both games, but oh well. i'm just glad to find one i click with. after "dark tales," i was beginning to think tower defense had spoiled me for the adventure category. i still love the DC series, in all its quirks. i think this is a really well-written adventure. (and i love the puzzles too.

maybe it lacks something the first three had, but as far as the genre in general has been going---i'm finding it a good change from the usual.

ps: it also can't be THAT easy. on the regular (non-CE) edition, the high-score board is still empty. (that may be a social faux pas on my part---but just sayin'. )

Edited on 07/10/2010 at 3:45:21 AM PST

[Post New]by Tulipgirl77 on Jul 10, 10 3:52 AM
angelfish106 wrote:I'm new to the Dream Chronicles games and loved the demo so much I used a credit to buy it. I was disappointed at how short it was; I finished it fairly soon after buying it.
The graphics are beautiful, enjoyable puzzles and gameplay was challenging enough to keep my interest.

Overall the game was enjoyable but far too short. Are all the Dream Chronicles games as short as this one? I'd like to try another and would be interested to know which one to demo next.

The other three are great, longer and hard(er). This one was a huge disappointment, but don't let that turn you off the others!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 10, 10 3:57 AM
rumplestiltskins wrote:I must be the only one in the world that liked this game.

You obviously haven't read MY post on page 2.

I too have all the other DCgames and while this one was totally different, I found the puzzles to be challenging but interesting. It sounds like everyone else expected more but I was very happy with it. Thankyou Big Fish. I'll be waiting for the next one. rumplestiltskin

I also like to take my time when I play my games, and don't check my watch to see in how short a time I can finish it. What's the fun in that?

I truly loved this game, even more than the previous 3 games. And I also took each game as a separate entity, and didn't expect the next games to continue where the previous ones have left off. I think that a lot of gamers have too harsh a view and condemn everything without realising how much work goes into making such a game.

Someone complained about the map not being explored enough. Well, perhaps the girl's travels will continue in the next game, using this same map and travelling in this same balloon!

Also, I am glad to say that I didn't find any bugs in this game - a novelty. And I too can't wait for the next instalment. A big "thank you" to the game developers.

Areal
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Areal on Jul 10, 10 5:36 AM
Dissapointed, too. Too short for a Dream Chronicles game, seems to me. On finishing you find yourself thinking "Just like that?". And please, couldn' t these games be more like a TV series with finished episodes, and not "continue next week"...specially when next week is almost a year!?
I disliked also that every chapter is the same as the others. The only surprise you'll get is the kind of puzzle you're going to find., and the routine of boat, fuel, place and so on.

Quickie
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by Quickie on Jul 10, 10 8:25 AM
I thought I was just getting really good at these DC's. Turns out, no. Game is too, too short. Used a punch card credit, hardly worth it. For me, next time, read reviews first!

CCBW
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
4 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Dream Chronicles: The Book of Air

[Post New]by CCBW on Jul 10, 10 8:45 AM
bfgFlounder wrote:Hey Fishies! What do you think of Dream Chronicles: The Book of Air? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

CCBW
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
4 Posts

[Post New]by CCBW on Jul 10, 10 8:49 AM
Very disappointed, very short game .Glad I didn't pay for the collectors edition .6.99 was already too much.!

inkybitz
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by inkybitz on Jul 10, 10 9:25 AM
This is the first time I have bought a game without trying the demo - boy, have I learned my lesson. I enjoyed the first 2 DCs and thought this would be along the same lines, but I was very disappointed. It was way too easy, much too short and as for the girls fake English accent........! I also found the fuel 'game' irritating. I certainly won't be buying any follow up games from DC.

dlb628
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by dlb628 on Jul 10, 10 11:21 AM
I think that a lot of gamers have too harsh a view and condemn everything without realising how much work goes into making such a game.

I can see your point, but my opinion is that when I review a game, if it doesn't meet my expectations, I have no obligation to sugarcoat my feelings. As for the work that goes into making a game, my interest is strictly in the end result. I certainly understand people who are interested in the process, I'm just not one of them. Also, I think the developers should expect some flack for making a significantly shorter game (you don't have to be a clock-watcher to notice), and originally charging $19.99 for it, which I'm sure is the going rate for either version in stores. What there is of the game is well-crafted (except for the repetitious stone game!), but the story that we're used to with this game and the length are not there.

For me the game just didn't work. It's short, but there are plenty of short games that I've loved. The graphics were great, which is important to me. However, the story was lacking - that's also important to me, although I know that a lot of gamers couldn't care less about that aspect. I didn't care for the constant dialoging about nothing in particular from Lyra and Grandpa. Grandpa's always popping up to "help", but it's usually unnecessary, not to mention unlikely that he's discovered some kind of interdimensional mail route. I didn’t like how there were only one or two screens at most locations. That felt very truncated to me. I will say that I don't think this game would be getting so much criticism if people hadn't loved the original game so much, and were hoping to recapture that feeling.

Edited on 07/10/2010 at 11:24:59 AM PST

PlumPuddin
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by PlumPuddin on Jul 10, 10 12:21 PM
I'm dumbfounded by the reviews I've been reading. This game is very well done, and I find it totally challenging, not at all easy. I started yesterday, worked on it for hours and hours, and the same today. I'm a reasonably intelligent person, so I do not understand how anyone could finish the game play in 2 hours . It seems absolutely impossible. I have been stumped in an area for at least 2 hours now, but would feel totally willy nilly if I asked for help. And, I do like the game... love the grapics, and feel it was definitely worth the money I paid. Challenging it certainly is. Sorry most of you are disappointed. I for one feel totally opposite of all the overwhelming views on this forum. Thanks BF for a game that takes some thinking to finish it.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Jul 10, 10 2:13 PM
I think most of the DC games, are just brilliant, what makes them so special for me, is that, they are not just your run of the mill games.
The quality is top notch, the graphics just blow me away, the story is so magical, that I get totally absorbed, and can't wait to find out what happens next.
The puzzles really make me think, especially in the first 2 DC games, this one was lacking for me because there just wasn't enough puzzles to do, or places to search.
I did enjoy what game play there was, but was very disapointed with the ending, and found it hard to believe, that it was over, so soon.
I did love using the special powers, now that is what I come to expect from a DC game, using those brought out the magical aspect, that I have come to know and love, when playing these games.
I also didn't mind the rock game, to make fuel, and found setting the cordinates, fun also, I felt as though I was actually flying, from place to place.
So for me, the game was made with the standards, that I have come to expect, so no complaints there, I just wish the developers had taken more time, to make it a decent length, like some of the previous one's.

bluecat434
Clownfish
Clownfish
858 Posts

[Post New]by bluecat434 on Jul 10, 10 3:15 PM
PlumPuddin wrote:I'm dumbfounded by the reviews I've been reading. This game is very well done, and I find it totally challenging, not at all easy. I started yesterday, worked on it for hours and hours, and the same today. I'm a reasonably intelligent person, so I do not understand how anyone could finish the game play in 2 hours . It seems absolutely impossible. I have been stumped in an area for at least 2 hours now, but would feel totally willy nilly if I asked for help. And, I do like the game... love the grapics, and feel it was definitely worth the money I paid. Challenging it certainly is. Sorry most of you are disappointed. I for one feel totally opposite of all the overwhelming views on this forum. Thanks BF for a game that takes some thinking to finish it.

no, don't be discouraged. it's silly, really. it's not possible to complete this first-time around in two hours. i think some are exaggerating to prove a point.

i haven't finished yet, so i can't speak to this one's length relative to the other DC's. but i have noticed that it seems an overall trend---cg adventure games are getting shorter. i think it's a financial issue, but i'm not sure.

even so---given the decreasing length of such games---if so many had completed this in two hours (really!), it would be reflected on the leader board. so far, not a single high score.

Go to: