Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Great Gatsby

[Post New]by Imberis on Jul 15, 10 10:11 AM
I had to read this book in school, and I hated it. However, I love this game!

Pros: I love the graphics! They sort of remind me of a watercolor painting. Items you find in HOG scenes are appropriate for the time period. The music is also appropriate, and very catchy! The scenes that move are interesting, although it's optional to find the objects hidden in them. The drink mixing was fun for me! The voice acting is well done. The game has a library that you can decorate with points you've earned in the game. It also has trophies to earn. (I love games with trophies!) You can find books in most of the scenes that go back to complete your library.

Cons: There are no chapter designations (that I saw) that show you how far you are in the game.

Although the game has domestic violence, alcohol, adultery and so on, it's also part of the novel. These things help to show you what kind of people the characters were. I remember reading the novel and hating basically every character in the book!

[Post New]by flame239 on Jul 15, 10 11:13 AM
I like the game myself. I just found it a bit slow in reaction to finding the ****
But I did read the book and saw the movie with Mia farrow playing Daisy and Robert Redford as Gatsby. Fantastic and if you get a chance see and read
SFF was one of the greatest writers. It is actually almost a renderingof his own life with his bipolar wife Zelda

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Jul 15, 10 12:03 PM
off subject, but LOL, even with the quotes,
they got you and now me, I'm sure for "Moby ****"

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on Jul 15, 10 1:18 PM
Long time out of high school but remembering reading the book, also seeing the movie much later, loved both! I ;am thrilled to see this game. It is fantistic! I am having a wonderful time and not going too fast because it is going to end eventually. Like eating a piece of rich chocolate. I want to savor it. By all means, buy this game!

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on Jul 15, 10 1:22 PM
Brilliant game - a terrific treat from the usual standard fare i-hogs:
* guaranteed intriguing story based on the literary classic (true to original text), professional voice acting & lovely period-accurate art rendering with bright cheerful colours
* good selection of relevant mini-games/tasks, some unique & tricky
* love the object finds to do during narrative scenes + the # of trophies to be won, combined with the library decoration, gives fantastic value-added for competitive players
* hog scenes offer a perfect balance of easy to more challenging
* the word quest each scene = another fun gimmick
* excellent hint system & puzzles/mini-tasks skippable
* very good length + on replay the search items change
* all in all, super entertainment
More like this, please: thank you I-play & BFG !

Edited on 07/15/2010 at 10:15:57 PM PST

Gramsmom
Minnow
Minnow
249 Posts

[Post New]by Gramsmom on Jul 15, 10 1:47 PM
I love The Great Gatsby. One of my all time favorite books. Will definately give this one a try.

Kalavinka
Clownfish
Clownfish
683 Posts

[Post New]by Kalavinka on Jul 15, 10 2:08 PM
This was one of my all time favorite novels!!! I can't wait to play the game.

As for the booze-- the story simply can not be told without the booze. Unfortunately, Gatsby lived in a violent world-- These people were rich, beautiful and vicious-- that's the point. Just because something appears in a book does not mean that the reader has to approve of it. Indeed, the violence creates tension which makes the story what it is, makes the story interesting.... Think of murder stories... No right thinking person approves of murder, yet this is a central element in many books and games. Negotiating these boundaries is part of being a mature reader. I suggest reading the book- I am sure that the game can not capture the nuance of relationships that are expressed in Fitzgerald's masterpiece.

Besides, if Gatsby stood around drinking orange cool-aid smoothies-- than that would be silly. I would probably go bananas if the game were somehow watered down to fit the morality of a select group of players.

I am excited to play this game.

Edited on 07/15/2010 at 2:22:37 PM PST

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Jul 15, 10 2:33 PM
GREAT!!

I love the story....NOW its TRUE to LIFE! THERE this type of things happening everyday.

DRINKING.....Watch TV ...Most of them have either the father or friends drinking all the time.
LIKE "Two And Half MEN" The actor in the lead role has a beer in his hand ALL the time, and he has SEX with all the women. It may not show it BUT you KNOW it!

I read the book in college, and I still have it. Its a great book.

My granny told me a few stories about the '20's. "The flapper, The dances, & any kind of Whiskey was drank. Women started going OUT to dances & even starting to SMOKE.
LOOK at OUR MOVIES today!
I agree IF had not kept to the TRUE STORY of the BOOK, fishies would have SAID "NO GO"

I WILL BUY IT, since it is true to the book, and the movies is a great movie.
JUST think in MY GRANNY"S day THE 20's WAS "SIN"....IF they could see our generation and the newer NOW!

rhonayotte
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by rhonayotte on Jul 15, 10 2:37 PM
snapnhiss wrote:I wish people wouldn't post about how they disapprove of an element of a game's story when they aren't familiar with the source material. I'm sorry if this comes across as rude, but the drinking of alcohol was an integral part of the novel and it's sort of ridiculous to get on your high horse complaining about it.

This is a comments and reviews thread for the game. Hence, when someone has a comment, it is generally based on that persons opinion. Considering someone is rude for that is your opinion. My feeling is this...if you can't say something good about someone, don't say anything at all. I have never read the book either, and if my reviews or comments about the game doesn't suit everyone's taste, then that's fine. A person doesn't have to be a certain aficionado regarding a game based on a book. If it's something that person doesn't find appealing, then that's the case. And that is what that persons comment or review pertains to, how they feel.

As for me, I never read the book either and once I look at the demo, if there is something about the game that bothers me, I will bring it up...it gives other people who are on the forum here a general idea of the pros and cons of a certain game. That being said, I am off to d/l and check it out!

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jul 15, 10 2:40 PM
annatar wrote:onetoomany: I totally agree with you! Too many designated review-threads (for many games) have sadly drowned in the discussion of some particular issue or other, which takes the focus away from the actual topic of the thread. While I don't mind people discussing their special issues about a game in separate threads, I think that the designated BFG Reviews thread should stick to just that, because we NEED a thread of true reviews for each game. It's too difficult getting an impression of a game if you have to wade through a myriad of "other" posts in search of actual reviews - in a Review thread...

(Of course I'm stepping in it myself by not posting any review yet, but I'm not done playing it yet... will get back to it when that's done.)

It's one of my pet peeves actually, and I sincerely apologize for my off-topic post. And this one.

[Post New]by overthehill60 on Jul 15, 10 2:44 PM
I have read The Great Gatsby and although often hard to understand as a young college student, the book is considered a classic work of fiction. The book premise is based on a young man who comes from a rather questionable backround and spends most of the book attempting to become someone he isn't. At least that's what I remember. In his attempt, he screws up in numerous ways and some of those messed up attempts are incorporated into the game. I guess what I'm trying to say is perhaps if other members read the book and understood the basis for the story, they would not be so shocked by content in the game. It really is a good book and I for one look forward to playing the entire game just to see how close the game is to the written word. Again, and as always, this is just my opinion. I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend overthehill

candycreme
Clownfish
Clownfish
548 Posts

[Post New]by candycreme on Jul 15, 10 2:58 PM
burningswam:Thanks so very much for including in your review the fact that mini games can be skipped ,I read a lot and very few fishes mention 2 of the most important parts of the game .TIMER and SKIP BUTTONS for mini -games .SO thanks again................

Meisie84
Guppy
Guppy
134 Posts

[Post New]by Meisie84 on Jul 15, 10 3:51 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed my hour trial!

'Must have' list for me for sure...more more more please...Think 'War & Peace' 'Anna Karenina', 'Gone With The Wind'...the list of great classics to make excellent games from is ENDLESS!!

troia45
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by troia45 on Jul 15, 10 4:39 PM
Great game!
Mini Games different!
Clear graphics!
Still a great story, one of the classics.
Could not stop playing. Bought it after 20 mins.
Thanks BF...

anonymiss
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by anonymiss on Jul 15, 10 4:50 PM
Well personal 'issues' aside (I personally don't have any problems with the subject matter - as other people have rightly pointed out, apart from the fact that this game is based on the book by the same name, you see exactly the same sort of subject matter on the nightly news - which IMO is MUCH worse as it's real life - this is, after all, a game geared towards adults who should know the difference between right & wrong), I love this game & have purchased it.

The graphics in particular caught my attention. It's a HOG/IHOG, but with a twist, and there's enough new(ish) content to keep me interested. I actually think it's a nice change of pace to see a game based on an American classic (for the record, I'm not American [I'm Australian], but we did read The Great Gatsby at school) instead of the usual fare of vampires, corpses, jungles, etc (which I also enjoy, but I like a change of pace every now & again). I hope to see more games set in this time period as the twenties is a particular favourite of mine (and also the thirties and forties - love that time period!).

Another great game well worth the $6.99 asking price. Thanks BF!

Edited on 07/15/2010 at 4:51:37 PM PST

anonymiss
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by anonymiss on Jul 15, 10 4:54 PM
Malicia69 wrote:Being that I have kids, I am very strict about what content they view and play from games. If you don't like the content of this game, it's wise not to allow your kids play this particular game. This game seems to be an adult game, so parental instincts are vital if you don't want to expose your kids to violent games.

Malicia, I'm Australian too but I did read this at school (not that I remember much of it!!!).

And I agree 100% with your comments. It's up to the parents to keep an eye on what their children play (or don't play). It's not up to BF to do the job of the parent. Honestly, I'm sick to death of everything being 'sanitized'.. political correctness gone mad IMO.

Edited on 07/15/2010 at 4:55:03 PM PST

deesi
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by deesi on Jul 15, 10 5:10 PM
I really tried to like this game, but it was just plain BORING!!!

kelvy0303
Stingray
Stingray
4,533 Posts

[Post New]by kelvy0303 on Jul 15, 10 5:46 PM
Not much I can add. I loved the book and the movie. Although this isn't, IMO only, a great game, there are elements I like. Hidden objects in general are not hard to find. Some were a little small for me. I like the challenge of earning points, trophies and furnishing the library.

This will be a buy for me.

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Jul 15, 10 5:56 PM
Meisie84 wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed my hour trial!

'Must have' list for me for sure...more more more please...Think 'War & Peace' 'Anna Karenina', 'Gone With The Wind'...the list of great classics to make excellent games from is ENDLESS!!

Meisie84,

SUPER IDEA! One of the recurring complaints here on the forums is the lack of original ideas (ironic, when you think about it ). Well there is a virtually inexhaustible trove of great literature to choose from. Can you imagine how well a "Lord of the Rings" game could do?, and that's just one instance. What an exciting thought!

essgee52
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by essgee52 on Jul 15, 10 6:06 PM
One of the most well thought out games in a very long time, and I am enjoying it immensely. A nice pace, the hidden items are all appropriate to the period, and the mini games are very, very different. Lots of extras to enjoy, too, like the secret word, hidden items in the transitions scenes, library books, etc. Great graphics and just the right amount of dialog for my taste, too. Hats off to the developers and I hope to see more like this in the future.

Go to: