Myriade99
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Golden Trails: The New Western Rush

[Post New]by Myriade99 on Jul 16, 10 9:08 AM
Like some of the other fishies, at first some things bugged me like the wertern theme, pictures of objects in the list instead of words and shooting gangsters for hints (they don't come very often and are hard to shoot, so I almost ran out of hints during the hour trial wich unsual for me).
But somehow, inspite of all that the game is fun and interesting, and I was surprise when the trial period was over that time went by so fast.
So I will buy this game (eventually, I have a long list already )

burningswan
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by burningswan on Jul 16, 10 9:46 AM
Review of Demo: Had I not read the reviews posted here by fellow fishies, I would have missed a fun game. I am not a fan of westerns and previous experience with this genre found me in bleek desert landscapes that all looked the same. Not so with this game. It is bright and cheerfully colored. The objects are more junkpile HOG than cleverly hidden and it is a negative to me to have to scan through so much clutter. BUT the pros of the game make it fun. I liked the arcade aspect of getting additional hints by shooting bad guys, but I wish they appeared more frequently. I saw about 5 in the hour demo. The limited number of hints ran out quickly for me. Objects to be found are pictured not named, good thing as there are many of similar items in the scenes, for exxample hats. I must mention another negative point is that the objects need to be identified by a name at least when found in order to use them in the interactive spots. Ok a crowbar is a crowbar...but what is this vague sticklike thing (no spoilers)? Well I know now, but it could have been used in more than one place. Good voice overs including a Sam Elliot (sigh) sound alike. Great characatures. Interesting backstory. Additional ways to score points as well. On my to buy list.

[Post New]by nykelli1843 on Jul 16, 10 10:25 AM
I beta'd this and didn't like it (didn't even finish). I tried it at another site again and didn't like it.

So, after seeing so many positive comments, tried it again and liked it. Bought it and have spent at least 5 hours playing and just fnished.

Those sheriff badges were well hidden in some spots! Only problem I had was during mini-game when I couldnt place an evidence item..after that, I had to really click my mouse hard to play. Some items required 2 clicks to register. It was like that to end of the game. I tried a diff game and didn't need the extra mouse pressure, so don't know what was up.

This game was a pleasant surprise.

[Post New]by lferradino on Jul 16, 10 10:31 AM
I purchased this game when it first came out at Awem, and absolutely loved everything about it! I've played it through 5 times, and still enjoy shooting the bandits and finding the badges, stolen items, lost objects, etc. The story is kinda hokey, but the music, sound effects, graphics, are all awesome! Keep your sound turned up so you can hear the bad guys sneak up on you, not to mention all the other authentic critter noises. It's a 5-star winner in my book! I'm looking forward to a sequel....please, Awem??

Koalanut
Marlin
Marlin
8,777 Posts

[Post New]by Koalanut on Jul 16, 10 1:14 PM
I played about half the demo and it is a good HOG game. It is more a straight HOG with lots of things to look for. The graphics are clear and good, the shooting the bad guy is sorta like the games where you click on the Egyptian character and that gets your more hints. I just couldn't get into it, it wasn't the theme or anything about the game other than I love puzzles and adventure gaming and Elixer and Secrets of the Dragon Wheel and Time Dreamer are more what I like to play. If you love HOGs this one is for you, looks like lots and lots of things to try to find.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Jul 16, 10 1:17 PM
For someone who is not a fan of western games, or western themed anything, I have to tell you, I LOVED THIS GAME !!
So I have to give it to the developers, the western ambiance was so well done, you could tell that a lot of thought and hard work went into it, making it not only a joy to play, but done so perfectly in every aspect, the quality was just BRILLIANT..IMHO!
I mean this game really got me excited, which just blew my mind, to be honest, and the further I got into it, with winning trophie's, extra points for using no hints, collecting items quickly, along with finding the stars, and shooting bandits, I was just in AWE of this game ...it had everything you could hope for in a game.
I mean the story was GREAT, the graphics where crisp and clear, the objects where well hidden, excellent job on that by the way, and on top of that, interaction as well.
Ember89 said it perfectly, for true HOG junkies, this game was the ultimate, couldn't of said it better, I know this junkie was having a BLAST !!
The characters where spot on, and done so well, making it very beliveable, for me every single thing done in this game, was done to perfection, so I am glad it is getting great reviews, for all of the hard work that went into it.
I wasn't surprised to see all of the german names during the credits, I think when it comes to making games, they are bar none, by far, the best.
I played the game all the way through, the bonus mission was a true bonus, unlike some games, LOVED IT, and I never used any hints, so I felt an acomplishment there, along with many other trophie's, and extra points earned, and finding all of the stars, this was all a wonderful bonus, that added so much to the game play.
And on top of all that, shooting the bandits, it was fun to see how fast I could get them, and even surprised myself, quicker reflex's than I thought ..bye bye!
I could just go on and on, about how good this game is, so if your like me, and really don't care for westerns, don't let that keep you from missing a FANTASTIC game.
This is one western, that is an absolute BUY, and worth every cent, and I just hope and pray, that another one is in the works...PLEASE.. .
I think this game is a five game, and is right up there in my list of favorite's, to play.
Thanks BF, and to the developers, brilliant minds, and a job beyond, well done :-)

[Post New]by Arcuate on Jul 16, 10 2:22 PM
I LIKE this game!!. Scenes are not too dark and shooting the bad guy for extra hints is a plus. The big bonus for this game are the extras. Not only do you have unlimited hidden object scenes, but there are extra scenes that were not in the original play. I purchased this game after about 30 minutes of play. I have completed the game and like the fact that I have points, awards, etc., to try to beat the next time I play (which will be in a few minutes). As far as I am concerned, this is one of the better hidden object games........produce more just like it (maybe with different themes).

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Jul 16, 10 10:56 PM
Nice game, it seems very well done - a high quality game. Love the voiceovers and the scenery. I played the demo but decided not to purchase it - I'm not all that much into HOGs for one, but I had difficulty finding more items than I was comfortable with. I think if you are into HOGs, this is definitely a nice game to add to your collection.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jul 16, 10 11:44 PM
Don't worry about being slow with the mouse reflexes to shoot the bandits, I am in NO way good at that, quick nor aiming right on other such games. Maybe because the older pc I'm playing on is slow makes a difference, but I have ample time to see something move and move my mouse to point. And, if sound is on, you'll first hear a warning sound like (to me) sounds like moving a piece of furniture across a wooden floor, Some say like a whoosh. So, I'm awaiting, and have around 18 extra hints in just 2 locations and I've used some besides.

Don't let the HOGs fool you, the hints are in full color, not just grey silhouettes so easier to spot. Some are in your face easy to spot, but some partially hidden, like spending so much time looking for a coffee mill, can't believe I did see the knob of a handle sticking out under something. Rather than using hints if you take your time relaxing, you will hear or see something to point and shoot at. I had started over after the demo to really look for the sheriff badges to unlock unlimited, some I only spotted while searching for something else. So being in no hurry I'm fully enjoying the game, not so much for trophies, but want the extra play.

I didn't realize until reading some comments there is a built in strategy guide or walkthrough if you go to Menu, Extras (in top left corner) click and find it, then you can select the location and episode. I had to use it once so far when an inventory item wasn't working, no glitch, wrong item and was in the next location.

Missed placing one item in a mini puzzle with evidence, but you can try again or skip, more to do with poor memory than fast with hand. There is also a mini I think for a trophy shooting 15 bandits popping up. Again, got all but one. TIP the gun cursor has a little round scope which has to be on the target, not half on half off so I made sure I was pointing within the target. This isn't for hints like ones within a hog scene, just points. I even got some award for playing 2 episodes without exiting the game.

When I did exit (and it is very slow to close as to load on slow pc) saying Are You Sure YOu Want to Leave, under that I read "Everyone wants to know..." so I laughed and said Yes. Then realized that line changed and was part of the promo trailor just repeated on that page. I'm having so much fun, 4 hours, 2 sittings so far and 3 more locations to go I think. Just good old pure entertainment, and put together so professionally as a package.

[Post New]by DrinkDoc on Jul 17, 10 9:55 AM
Looks like I'm in the minority here. For me, the game had extremely slow transitions so the wait between screens made me impatient to start with. Shut the demo down after 30 minutes. Did not like this ... at all.

carolwst
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by carolwst on Jul 17, 10 12:27 PM
Decent game in the sense that it worked well and scenes were clear. Some objects were truly well-hidden. Finding the sheriff's badges was a nice touch and I did enjoy shooting at the random bandit for hints. Didn't care for the minigame where I had to shoot a whole bunch though. I just didn't care for the story line, not very interesting, got bored. I realize I'm in the minority but there were several great games this week and this didn't quite do it for me.

[Post New]by SmokeyMtnLinda on Jul 17, 10 2:47 PM
This is my first time reviewing a Big Fish game, but Golden Trails: The New Western Rush is SO FANTASTIC ... I needed to share!!! I finished one game, but still need to go again to find out what happened to the gold. I rarely play Hidden Items, usually it's Time Management Games; but only when the games aren't too fast. Not only is the Golden Trails have a great story line, mini games and graphics, but whatever you do, check out that fantastic Original Music Soundtrack, plus the other fun games ... just click on the ESTRAS on the opening page. I am so pleased with this game and still look to many more hours of enjoyment ... even got my husband into the "Shooting the Bad Guys game". Hope you have as much fun on it as I do! Linda

mahbah55
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,025 Posts

[Post New]by mahbah55 on Jul 17, 10 4:58 PM
Absolutely wonderful game! I love all of the trophies I can earn!

ncdeac
Pink Kisser
Pink Kisser
40,241 Posts

[Post New]by ncdeac on Jul 17, 10 9:43 PM
All I can say is I love this game!!!!! I can't pull myself away from it.

RyeMcLaughlin
Stingray
Stingray
4,659 Posts

[Post New]by RyeMcLaughlin on Jul 17, 10 9:46 PM
Pros: Good length game, trophies, earn extra hints, earn an extra level, good graphics, well done Hidden Object scenes,

Cons: you can not turn off voiceover or custom cursor, story could be better, not thrilled about having to shoot people to earn hints,

It's funny how many people have stated that they don't like westerns, but like this game. I'm in that group. It's very good, certainly worth 6.99.

Slavicdiva
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by Slavicdiva on Jul 18, 10 9:23 AM
I am not at all a fan of Western-genre games; I never got the whole "Old West" fixation - maybe because my family didn't come here until 1918! So I wasn't going to even demo this game. However, after I read some of the reviews, I decided to try it.

I bought it after playing for less than a half hour.

This is a really engrossing game, and a lot of fun to play. I am not usually a fan of "find the objects by picture" games, but this one was exceptionally well done, so I didn't mind that at all.

It was so engrossing that I played the whole game in one sitting (yes, I was up very late!). I didn't get all the trophies; maybe I will try for that the next time through!

Very well done, and highly recommended.

Claypool
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by Claypool on Jul 18, 10 9:52 AM
I also love this game but I get hung up in the water mill. I have had to use my hints and they don't have enough chances to earn new hints. In the basement of the water mill, I can't find the money bag. I have started the game under 4 different names and I have to use some of my hints and can't replenish them. Any suggestions? Thanks.

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Jul 18, 10 12:20 PM
I think this is a real keeper. Didn't see a single hotdog in the trial, though there is a crowbar you need in your inventory so it can be excused .
I love the authentic feel. Voices, music, buildings, furnishings, and all the HOG items are true to the life and times of the 1800's and early 1900's. My pioneer grandma lived this life in the same house from when they got to Colorado in a covered wagon to when she died in 1963. I loved staying with her so I felt right at home in the game, peaceful.
As to "shooting" gangsters, I prefer calling it "taking them alive", no gun, just my mouse. I had a fear they might be small and fast moving, but not. They pop in with a "whoosh" announcing them, they are quite large, and they stay put for a few seconds.
The graphics are excellent and HOG items are cleverly hidden. At least so far, no dark scenes, the colors are bright and cheerful.
Thank you for bringing us this great game.

demahi
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by demahi on Jul 18, 10 1:09 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed this game. Well worth $6.99, IMO. Some of the objects are easy to find, some more difficult. I am playing for the second time (and I rarely am interested enough to play again) and some of the items I am searching for are different than when I played the first time through. Some have indicated that they don't like having to shoot someone (you get extra hints if you are successful) but there is no blood and guts. The music does not get in the way and most of the time didn't even hear it. Thanks BFG for a terrific game!

Edited on 07/18/2010 at 1:10:03 PM PST

stanliness
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by stanliness on Jul 18, 10 1:43 PM
I like the game and am tempted to buy because I really am enjoying it, but my biggest irritant is that I play with my glasses off so I can see the HOs, but then can't get them on in time to see the pop-up bad guys to shoot them to get more hints. I'm afraid to buy because I may not ever get any more hints... guess that's the price of getting old...

Go to: