OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

Re:Comments and reviews for L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Jul 18, 10 7:25 AM
If you have never heard me say this before ? , I will say it again " J outa Joy ! "

letsdoit
Shark
Shark
10,483 Posts

[Post New]by letsdoit on Jul 18, 10 7:33 AM
those who have 'try it' should not 'buy it'...game should have dorothy with her first appt with the lil' green wizard man for a pair of glasses...lol

tedderpic
Flounder
Flounder
2,029 Posts

[Post New]by tedderpic on Jul 18, 10 7:39 AM
-10 for this one
needs to go back to the drawing board and start all over again
PLEASE next time get it right.....POOR DOROTHY

deesi
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by deesi on Jul 18, 10 7:52 AM
I was downloading the game and came over here to read the reviews, and saw that there wasn't one single good review. I'm not going to waste my time even trying the game. I deleted it without even trying it. I want to thank everybody for the warning.

wvsandy
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by wvsandy on Jul 18, 10 7:55 AM
Considering the source material, I was expecting something charming and fun. Instead I discovered a bland, very ordinary hidden object game with tiny objects and uninteresting sound track. Played eleven minutes on easy mode (because I didn't want to mess with a timer), and was too bored to go on. Two thumbs down.

[Post New]by cingil3 on Jul 18, 10 7:56 AM
Like most of the comments here, I too will not be buying the game. The objects are so small and I got frustrated. No sell for me. The background is beautiful, but for those of us with bad eyesight it is not worth it to get a headache or more eye strain over this game.

barregar
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,249 Posts

[Post New]by barregar on Jul 18, 10 7:57 AM
The developers have done a very bad version of a most wonderful beloved classic. They should take notes from the people who made The Great Gatsby game, which is very well done with nice graphics and music.

This game sucks bigtime.

[Post New]by okletmewin12 on Jul 18, 10 7:58 AM
well i made it thru 26 whole minutes!

agree with all the comments there is really nothing good about this game

i quit and restarted game a few times so have some observations about very unfriendly user interface most of you wouldn't have noticed, since for the most part you played a few mins and deleted .... but these things just make a bad game worse!

if you exit part way thru a scene, no save, you have to replay scene from the beginning and put yourself thru that pain and misery a 2nd time

when you restart, the game starts at the beginning, you have to click on profile choose your name and click on load to get the game to start where you left off, or start at the beginning of a scene if you left the scene without finishing it

and the NOVEL ????? what a joke click on novel on main menu and you get a very poorly written mish mash of what is i guess the developers vision of what the wizard of oz should have been like?

like someone else said developers of this little "GEM" should be embarassed and ashamed to put their name on it

also as someone else mentioned, didn't they feel like paying attn to feedback from beta testers? cause i'm sure it would have been about the same as what they're getting here ... maybe they had the flying monkeys do their testing for them?

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Jul 18, 10 7:59 AM
I had read some of the comments about the objects being small in this game so I thought I would check it out and see if it was as bad as everyone was saying. I think it may be worst. Most people only played it for 10 or 15 minutes, but I doggedly played on for the full one hour demo. I wanted to see if it got better or had any redeeming qualities. Unfortunately the more I played, the more I disliked it.

If a marginal game gets bad reviews, I may try to find some positive things about the game rather than jump on the naysayer’s bandwagon. I this case I will gladly drive the bandwagon. I would not buy this game. I would not even play it if someone gave it to me for free.

The hidden objects in this game are not tiny, they are minuscule and in addition to that, they are faded into the background. The find the differences scenes are just as obscure and tedious. One of the find the differences scenes was in a forest on the edge of the poppy field. The scene is filled with tree branches and some of the differences were twigs or tiny lines that had been added to the branches. It was ridiculous.

There are also several annoying visual effects that occur as you play. If you find and click on objects quickly you get a combo or speed bonus. I have seen this before in games but in this game when you get a bonus, a HUGE message jumps on the screen and bounces a few times before it fades away. Of course that is very distracting and annoying. In one scene a butterfly was constantly flitting around in a set pattern, over and over and over again.

Another frustrating aspect of this game is that the list of items to find only has part of the items to find and when one is found another item is added to the list. In a game where the items are so difficult to see, this rolling list is just another frustration that is not needed.

When the list of items to find is represented by silhouettes, the silhouettes are not orientated in the same position as the hidden object in the scene. So the silhouette may look totally different than the minuscule item in the scene.
Continued…..

Edited on 07/18/2010 at 8:10:57 AM PST

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Jul 18, 10 8:00 AM
Part 2 …
Sometimes you have to find multiple lists of items in the same scene before you move to the next scene. In one scene I had to find the written list of items, when I completed that I was the asked to find 10 animals in the scene, and when I completed that I was the asked to find 6 children in the scene. The 6 tiny little munchkin children were in the scene from the beginning and would pop up in windows or from behind bushes as an annoying distraction while you try to find the other items. Of course when they were on the list to find, you had to click on them quickly as they would flash from their hiding places and then disappear.

Later in the game there was another place where you had to chop through a log by clicking while a moving meter was in the green zone. Also the dog Toto will pop up on the edge of the screen and I think if you are fast enough to click on him you will get the Toto bonus points. I did get some Toto bonus points after some scenes but I don’t know how I got them. Perhaps I was randomly clicking and caught Toto by accident. So it seems that they may be arcade type tasks throughout the game that require fast clicking.

Thank goodness I played in Easy Mode so the hints would charge faster. I got through a few scenes without using any hints but most of the time I used 1 to 3 hints.

I usually turn the music volume down in games just to the point where I can barely hear it and it is not too distracting. I did that with this game but when I went into the scenes the music was quite loud. When I wanted to go back to the options to adjust the music again, I got the warning that my progress would not be saved. Well, heaven forbid, once you get through one of these scenes you would never want to go back and play it again, so I had to turn my speakers down and had very little sound in the game. I guess that was not a big loss but it shows that the game options don’t work as they should.

After playing the one hour demo, I came away from this game with two things, a headache and an answer. I was able to go back to bed and sleep off the headache. And now when anyone in the forum asks, “What is the worst HOG ever?”, I will have a definitive answer.

Edited on 07/18/2010 at 10:13:33 AM PST

Jadakiss2000
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

[Post New]by Jadakiss2000 on Jul 18, 10 8:02 AM
I was happy when I saw this game. I love the Wizard of Oz and knew I was going to get this game until.........I read the reviews! I always value others opinions but normally do not let that be my only option for whether I buy or try something or not. But with not one single positive about this game except for maybe beautiful graphics, I can gaurantee you that I am solely going by reviews on this one. I even looked at the video and couldn't see what they were clicking on. I am like the others who said, "Yes, finally a game I don't want this week!"

Edited on 07/18/2010 at 8:02:56 AM PST

[Post New]by helden66 on Jul 18, 10 8:08 AM
definatly a terrible game. the hidden objects are so small it virtually impossible to find them. played the demo for 20 minutes then gave up due to frustration and bordem. number 1 on my not to buy list.

kitwhite
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by kitwhite on Jul 18, 10 8:13 AM
It took exactly 10 minutes for me to decide this game belonged in "File 13". Thank goodness for trials!

rahdaisy
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by rahdaisy on Jul 18, 10 8:24 AM
I was very excited to see this game and extremely disappointed when I started playing. First of all, when I lowered the background music, it was terribly loud. Then I went back and lowered it again to a complete minus. To my surprise, my progress of finding the items was lost!!! And the music was still very loud. I had to lower the overall sound to mute the music. But by the time I got to the second HOG part, I had had it. The graphics are fuzzy and the items are very, very small. Definitely not a fun game. Not a buy for me.

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on Jul 18, 10 8:37 AM
Ditto to what everyone else has already said and thank goodness has a demo or the return line would be miles long on this one. What a let down.

ubydudy
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by ubydudy on Jul 18, 10 9:08 AM
Two things really bother me about this game. One is that I am from Mr. Baum's birthplace and this story is very near and dear to me and it has just been slaughtered. Was so excited to see a game of the Wizard of Oz and so terribly disappoiinted with the game. Of the hundreds of games I have done demos on over the years, this is by far the very worst. The other thing that bothers me is that this kind of trash can give BF Games a bad name and I hate to see that happen because I think they are the BEST. Don't know who let this one get by, but they should be spoken to.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Jul 18, 10 9:28 AM
I have only two questions left - How many people actually bought this game and how many of those actually enjoyed it?

Nortank
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by Nortank on Jul 18, 10 9:30 AM
Considering the basis for the game, BigFish should be embarassed to even put this game out there. As with the rest of the reviewers, I hated it. I dogged through about 45 minutes of the game, hoping it would get a bit better, but it only got worse. The worst HOG mistakes (aka chicken-outs) are tiny objects, hiding dark things in shadows and annoying music. The music in this game could not be turned off, even if I left the scene and made sure I had dragged the scale to the very left. I ended up muting my computer.

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME UNTRIED! I can't imagine anyone enjoying it!

Edited on 07/18/2010 at 9:32:00 AM PST

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on Jul 18, 10 9:40 AM
To say this game is a disappointment would be putting it mildly. I agree with all the negative reviews of this game. I could not find one positive comment to make on my own. I lasted 20 minutes and clicked out. Whoever designed/developed this game should be ashamed of themselves. The theme has such great potential but this game has none.

A no buy for me

MissB59
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by MissB59 on Jul 18, 10 9:41 AM
Well, I downloaded the demo and got the error message to update to the latest videocard .. After reading all of the reviews, don't think I am going to bother.. very few games go on my 'not in this lifetime' list ..especially not having played it .. in fact I think this is the 1st one .. Have a happy rest of the weekend ..

Go to: