Lord_Lollipop
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Pirate's Treasure: An Oliver Hook Mystery

[Post New]by Lord_Lollipop on Jul 21, 10 10:40 AM
Sound like I should pass on this one. Thank you to the folks who took the time to play it and pass along their opinions.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jul 21, 10 11:37 AM
Thanks for your comments, I agree on the whole, BUT there were great games these late weeks, not just junk. Elixir, Vampire Secret, Golden trail and a bargain for Velvet Keys, so I wouldn't complain about BFG but say thank you.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Jul 21, 10 11:55 AM
grabbinbugs wrote:Not impressed with the graphics on this one. While the background scenes are done well the object scenes are not and are blurry and fuzzy. But might be just me. Music is okay. There are special items to find that give you extra coins to spend at a store. Never got to store so don't know what goes on there. First mini game is a spot the difference. Did not play more than 15 mins but appears to be a straight up HOG with no apparent story. Not the worst game I've tried but not a game I would buy.

I agree.
Fuzzy searches hurts my eyes. Did play long enough to
get out from the undersea scenes, but graphics no better.
Not nearly as bad as Oz, but a definite no buy for me.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Jul 21, 10 1:12 PM
Well said darkdisciple.

And a big welcome to the pond. Please do come
back often.

kaffeepot
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by kaffeepot on Jul 21, 10 1:33 PM
This game looked good, but has problems. Not one for me. I don't think we need games that have so many problems. Maybe BFG is rushing out games to quickly, not checking them through enough.
I have Skymist that have have reloaded several times, and still can't get past the bar scene. I did get past it once, but trying to play it again has become an exercise in futility.
kaffeepot

Yosemite1956c
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by Yosemite1956c on Jul 21, 10 2:31 PM
GEEZ.......enough said

steelerlady1
Minnow
Minnow
213 Posts

[Post New]by steelerlady1 on Jul 21, 10 3:48 PM
darkdisciple1313 wrote:Truth be told, we've all gotten a bit spoiled lately, with truly great games too often bookended by offal (which, when pronounced a certain way, rhymes with "awful"). Amazing games like Dire Grove are actually the exception, rather than the rule, but even mediocre games on BFG are fairly good, which makes the true stinkers reek like a week-old dead fish on a sidewalk in Texas in August.

quote]AINT IT THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited on 07/21/2010 at 3:49:26 PM PST

[Post New]by WeeHillyWilly on Jul 21, 10 3:53 PM
OK for a new HOG player, or for a much younger person. But is too easy for an experienced adult.

Icky_Etardo
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by Icky_Etardo on Jul 21, 10 3:56 PM
There were a few good things about this game. For one, the hidden objects were more cleverly hidden rather than impossible to see. The music wasn't horrible. The objects looked like what they were meant to represent for the most part.

However, there was more that was bad about this game. For instance, as others have mentioned, more than one example of objects on the list per scene. If there's a vase on the list, there should only be one vase in the scene! This was especially troublesome for the extra "treasure", and I was unable to figure out why one coin or one ring counted as "treasure" when another coin or ring in the same scene was not "treasure". The developers also stooped to the "let's make it terribly out of proportion" trick to hide some of the objects, so that a pair of dice came out larger than a treasure chest. Those were either some really big dice or a really small treasure, because I expect a pair of dice to fit inside a treasure chest, and not be big enough to smash the treasure chest to bits!

With so many truly awful games released lately, this one looked good in comparison. However, it really isn't a very good game.

asierrahiker
Marlin
Marlin
9,070 Posts

[Post New]by asierrahiker on Jul 21, 10 4:23 PM
We must be in the dog days of summer.

I'm going to skip this one based on reviews.

blm50
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by blm50 on Jul 21, 10 4:47 PM
darkdisciple said it all. I totally agree. Nuff said........

peachycat
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by peachycat on Jul 21, 10 5:01 PM
I stopped playing after 20 minutes or so. The items were damn near impossible to fid (even with the hint button) Not a keeper.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Jul 21, 10 5:14 PM
Well, I went into this one with an open mind. I think it had potential, but fell quite short of that potential. I lasted 12 minutes. I would have played through the entire hour, however, once I got to the mingame where you had to put items into chests, the screen went white and I had to "Ctrl-Alt-Del" to get my computer back. I didn't find the game interesting enough to go back and try again.

It isn't so much that I don't enjoy junkpile HOGs anymore. I do, if there is actually a storyline behind them, but the graphics weren't that crisp in this one. Also, I never saw anything that told me I could collect coins for additional "points". I found out in the first scene simply by clicking on a coin while looking for something else. I think if the storyline had been developed more, the hidden object scenes more clear, and the minigames had a little more instruction, it could have been a good game. As it is, though, I will pass.

annatar
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
425 Posts

[Post New]by annatar on Jul 21, 10 5:36 PM
I didn't have any technical difficulties or crashes, the game ran as it was supposed to. Didn't listen to the music or sounds, since the rest of the house has gone to sleep, so I can't comment anything on that. Didn't have any problems with seeing the objects either, they didn't seem blurry for me. Hint reloading time was ok, and I made it halfway across the world during my trial. Minigames were very easy... too easy in fact. All over, the game was fairly ok.

Still I only lasted 24 minutes before exiting. Why?
The answer is simple: It was getting too boring. There was no plot to keep my interest. Sometimes a sentence would pop up telling me "I" was looking for clues for this Hook pirate. So what? Nothing more would happen, just another location with another batch of H0 scenes, and some more veeeeery easy minigames. *yawn* There isn't anything specifically *wrong* with the game, and it's certainly better than the last three duds. It's simply just boring.

So - will "I" ever find this Hook and his treasure?

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!

Edited on 07/21/2010 at 5:41:09 PM PST

ncdeac
Pink Kisser
Pink Kisser
40,241 Posts

[Post New]by ncdeac on Jul 21, 10 5:48 PM
Fair...not great, but now awful. I didn't have any tech issues. I'll pass though.

jewbaby
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by jewbaby on Jul 21, 10 6:13 PM
NO NO NO not for me Was the ferocious capt. Hooks' name really OLIVER ??
I can't imagine anyone saying to this maniac : Hi Ollie. LOL
Any who.... No thanks to the game

Tamlin55
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by Tamlin55 on Jul 21, 10 6:42 PM
Gah, I thought it looked like a moderately interesting Hidden Object game, so I gave it a try. It didn't get off to a favorable start when a few levels came up and you weren't sure where to start. But as it turns out, it doesn't matter, because there's no story!!!
The hidden object scenes are teeny and blurry. There was a spot the difference scene with some phallic looking coral and seaweed, with some difficult differences to spot, and some simple unravelling and maneuvering puzzles. (Don't click on the arrow in the coins and treasure chest puzzle or the game will crash).

By this point I was experiencing boredom and eyestrain and I uninstalled -- back to the Elixir!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jul 21, 10 7:53 PM
Duh, no brainer, no purchase for me either. Puzzles are way too easy. This is more for young children than adults. No where near worth the money.

GoddessOdd
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

NO SKIP/NO BUY

[Post New]by GoddessOdd on Jul 21, 10 8:38 PM
As soon as I got to the "spot the differences" and realized that I couldn't skip it, I quit. I will never ever ever ever buy or even play a game that does not allow me to skip the really stupid parts. I have yet to see anyone write in ANY of the forums "I just LOVE LOVE LOVE spot the difference games!" NO one likes them, except apparently game designers, because they are probably exceedingly easy to do. They are not fun, most people find them tedious, and if you MUST include them in your game, because you lack any original ideas, then you should allow us to skip them. If not, your game will be rapidly deleted and you'll be panned in the forums.

Carole22759
Minnow
Minnow
288 Posts

[Post New]by Carole22759 on Jul 21, 10 8:58 PM
Not a buy for me.

I used to REALLY love HOGs, but now I want more. I want more than just playing "hide-n-seek" where I'm always the seeker, and my only reward for finding everything is another HOG scene....sigh.
I really love HOGs that throw in a little adventure, something to stimulate the gray-matter. Perhaps I'm spoiled because of games like Dire Grove, Return to Ravenhearst, Salem Witch Trials, etc ---Adventure HOGs I guess they could be categorized as.
To me, this game was just...well, it was boring. Some of the HOG games offered up by BF lately...you know, the HOGs offered over the past week that we've all banded together to groan about... strike me as games that were purchased at discount, they kinda' have a fleamarket feel to them. Heck, I'm a gal who loves a bargain, but as we've all stated here in the Forums, we've come to expect a lot from our beloved BFG, and I get the feeling we're a bit jilted with some of the offerings lately.
Currently I'm playing Elixir of Immortality and just finished-up Time Dreamer. I think those are the HOGs that we (true HOG lovers) have come to expect. Basic HOGs don't cut-it anymore, and (for me) have a tedious feel to them - instead of enjoying myself while I'm playing a (straight-non adventure) HOG, I just want to find the darn items as fast as I can and get it over and done with......I've lost that lovin' feelin'....oooo that lovin' feelin'....it's gone, gone, gone....woe woe woe.

But, that's just my personal two-cents that I wanted to share while splashing about in the pond. Thanks for listening...woe woe woe.

Go to: