Re:Post any Brunhilda and the Dark Crystal technical issues here only

[Post New]by sarahdehoogh on Aug 5, 10 5:07 PM
Don't know if this is a technical issue, but it's definitely annoying: when I bought the game after playing the demo, I had to start from scratch even though my name was there. Then in the middle of the 5th chapter, the game abruptly kicked me off ( a script error). When I started the game again, I had to start from scratch.

Extremely not liking that start-over aspect. Had I known, I wouldn't have bought the game.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Aug 5, 10 6:11 PM
Thank you Konstanty for your insightful reply re the widescreen settings.

I'm sure you are correct re the conflict of settings on video card and display settings, but this seems to be on W7 and AMD M880G w/ATI Mobility Radeon HD4200 (which is my card). In fact, I've read of a correction on some tech blogs where some downgraded rather than upgraded their drivers to what was used on Vista, then checked stretch, then I guess returned to current one. I guess "Catalyst" is same as driver? at your own risk too out of my league.

The settings for resize or fit screen etc were on my Vista laptop and I think XP pc, but not on W7 display settings that I can find. I guess those were dropped from options on W7 (?). Probably as you say, playing "smart" to not distort.

Here's my confusion now. I fiddled around, opened my games that do fill widescreen and on Options, Fiction Fixers has Option "Stretch" on the game itself. otherwise I think it is playing in Window Mode. A bit fuzzier maybe but distortions not noticible to me. Options on Angela Young's Dream Adventure are Full Screen or Windows. Full screen is wide, but distortions more noticible (a horse has a pretty lonnggg torso LOL) BUT on Flux Family Rabbit CE which is in HD I didn't have to change anything, get wide screen, no bars, no distortions in HD and incredibly clear, full color, it just opens that way on Play. I don't know what the regular version settings are, mine is CE version.

My old Vista widescreen 15.5 laptop had NVidea graphics card,had that sizing option; my xp pc has Intel. Your game plays full screen 1024x768 on my old xp desktop pc, which displays picture a little larger in proportion to regular flat panel. Luckily your game doesn't need so much RAM as most other new ones, so I guess I could run it on there, not my laptop. With so many tiny objects to find I have to use a lot more hints than I like to and can't have anything else running, it's slow.

Maybe with enough complaints the stretch or best size option will be put back on W7 driver or settings. Even tho it may not display at optimum clarity It was nice having a choice. Or, programmers may be able to put it in game Options as these I found did. Certainly explains why many games stretched to fill my Vista laptop wide screen doing it myself.

Still "puzzled one" but a bit more understanding. Thanks again for your attention to these tech problem players. I haven't played far enough to see if any save ones or others yet. :th

Edited on 08/05/2010 at 6:32:56 PM PST

[Post New]by cdmdny on Aug 5, 10 6:12 PM
Same problem - only it happened several times. The last time I played, I kept saving and exiting - FREQUENTLY. 1/2 way thru the 5th chapter - I got the error code - have to start over as nothing saved! REALLY ANNOYING - I think we should get a game credit for our aggravation!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Aug 5, 10 6:24 PM
(my reply cont fyi)

Your game opens, splash page etc full wide screen as all games do. Options panorama or full, one of them or both, the side panels show my desktop with icons, so that must be window mode (?) Full screen or panorama seem to be the same, black sides. But after opening screens filling, the game itself reduces and has nice thin borders around it like filigree. None of the combos or just panorama stretch eliminate the bars. Maybe next game you could add in Options Stretch? since settings on W7 don't have it, at least on AMD card. My main regret, I didn't buy a bigger l7 in laptop 3 months ago, or a bigger monitor for my old pc. My main reason for not buying games now is teeny objects. Dark I can correct with monitor settings 100% brightness usually. Your mag glass helps some but that or hints is time consuming and I get fidgety waiting.....

(Great game though)

grumpy1123
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by grumpy1123 on Aug 5, 10 8:01 PM
Possible bug? When trying to find the last rag in the village, the demon kept pointing me to one area by the carraige and there was no rag there! I clicked every square mm forever. Finally I left the game and went to the walkthrough. The 1 rag I was missing was nowhere near where the demon kept showing me! It was way over by the arch leading to the forest.

Also, I have saved the game without having to start all over, except when my battery went dead and the laptop suddenly shut down. Then I had to start all over. Frustrating, but worth it, as I really love this game. I love the humor! Made me lol.

Also, I had to take it off of panoramic view in order to be able to click on objects that were close to the very left edge. (17 inch laptop)

mgena
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

[Post New]by mgena on Aug 5, 10 8:54 PM
sarahdehoogh wrote:Don't know if this is a technical issue, but it's definitely annoying: when I bought the game after playing the demo, I had to start from scratch even though my name was there. Then in the middle of the 5th chapter, the game abruptly kicked me off ( a script error). When I started the game again, I had to start from scratch.

Extremely not liking that start-over aspect. Had I known, I wouldn't have bought the game.

I'm having the same issues. I save and exit, but still have to start over at the beginning when I reload.

[Post New]by TwinBottles on Aug 6, 10 6:40 AM
mgena wrote:
sarahdehoogh wrote:Don't know if this is a technical issue, but it's definitely annoying: when I bought the game after playing the demo, I had to start from scratch even though my name was there. Then in the middle of the 5th chapter, the game abruptly kicked me off ( a script error). When I started the game again, I had to start from scratch.

I'm having the same issues. I save and exit, but still have to start over at the beginning when I reload.

Loosing progress shouldn't happen after demo or during normal play. We are working on this - it's rare but apparently happens sometimes.

If your profile is intact, you can use Telekinesis menu (located in lower right corner of main menu) to restart last visited chapter. This way you don't have to start game from scratch and you will replay only few minutes of gameplay!

Konstanty

[Post New]by sarahdehoogh on Aug 6, 10 4:08 PM
Tried going to the telekinesis menu and the only chapter was unlocked was the first one.

Really, really regretting getting this game.

ihateshopping
Guppy
Guppy
125 Posts

[Post New]by ihateshopping on Aug 6, 10 8:51 PM
The game is perfect in every way, although I got mine from the developer, not here. I have no clue if "it" may be causing many of the problems (yeah, it is) that are being mentioned because all those were ironed out during months long beta testing, on many machines and configurations.

If the game doesn't work properly, I truly believe the fault does NOT lie with the game, but with the "it," who shall be nameless, lest I get my post altered and a "reminder" that "there is no God, but BFG."

5susie
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by 5susie on Aug 7, 10 4:39 AM
ihateshopping wrote:The game is perfect in every way, although I got mine from the developer, not here. I have no clue if "it" may be causing many of the problems (yeah, it is) that are being mentioned because all those were ironed out during months long beta testing, on many machines and configurations.

If the game doesn't work properly, I truly believe the fault does NOT lie with the game, but with the "it," who shall be nameless, lest I get my post altered and a "reminder" that "there is no God, but BFG."

Have to agree, ihateshopping!

[Post New]by kpeny_ on Aug 7, 10 11:22 AM
got to chapter 2 bought the game went back to continue playing and now I have to start all over again, anyone else had this problem?

[Post New]by TwinBottles on Aug 7, 10 11:56 AM
kpeny_ wrote:got to chapter 2 bought the game went back to continue playing and now I have to start all over again, anyone else had this problem?

Seems like on very rare occasions something happens to saved game when demo times out.

If you unlocked chapter two, you can use telekinesis menu (located in lower right corner of main menu) to restart game from chapter two

Edited on 08/07/2010 at 12:33:09 PM PST

Bluester
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by Bluester on Aug 7, 10 6:00 PM
I have to say.. I downloaded the trial from BFG and 3 times it crashed with the error message. I had to restart each time and spent the hour never getting out of the rat hole. I came over here and read this topic. I then deleted the game, went to Twinbottle and downloaded the trial from there. I had absolutely not ONE SINGLE PROBLEM. I purchased the game from them, am on chapter 9 and love it.

I wrote BFG a couple of weeks ago, because I have had so many problems.. and I did not get a response.

suzyc
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by suzyc on Aug 8, 10 3:46 PM
Eeeeeeeek!! I bought this game (stupid, stupid, stupid) after getting errored out and sent back to the beginning during my hour trial. Then started over, and saved after every level. But now, after finishing up level 5 (Sultans Palace) it happened again. I tried to use the telek-whatever to skip back to where I was booted, but nope!! It wouldn't let me do anything but start from the beginning, and after playing that long and getting that far, there is no way I am starting over again.

Edited on 08/08/2010 at 4:00:49 PM PST

[Post New]by spinningmelon99 on Aug 8, 10 8:39 PM
In chapter 7, had just collected the books and scissors and clicked on the book to talk to it. I found myself in the garden and I couldn't click on anything. There was the circle with the line through it always on my magic wand. I wasn't even able to click on the menu button. Please help. My daughter and I love this game but we don't know what to do now. Is this something wrong with the game. We can't even click on the doors to go anywhere else or talk to the gardener. Thanks

lspeach
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by lspeach on Aug 10, 10 2:31 PM
Well I really have enjoyed this game to a point, I have had to play the first hour of the game 3 times, but I still bought it. Now it has happened again. I got through to getting on the broomstick and the game just closed on me and of course when I went back in... I AM BACK AT THE BEGINNING. This is getting kinda old. Will there be a fix soon or should I ask BF for a refund?

[Post New]by mike_farren on Aug 10, 10 2:48 PM
I'm having the weirdest problem I've ever had with this game. Every time I play it, it runs quite well for a while (varies from ten minutes to two hours), and then it shuts my computer off! I have to reboot from scratch each time, losing any unsaved progress, of course, and since my computer takes so long to reboot, it's really annoying - all the moreso since I like the game a lot. Sigh. The computer, by the way, is an older Thinkpad A31, pretty much stock. Running XP SP3, with 1G RAM. I'd suspect the computer, since it's pretty old and being replaced soon, but it doesn't appear to be the computer, which always reboots perfectly. No other game seems to have this problem. I didn't even know you *could* shut the computer down completely from inside an application!

lisslar
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by lisslar on Aug 17, 10 5:14 PM
Just know that I talk like a sailor when I am in a good mood - and right now I am in a BAD MOOD, but I'm deleting expletives for the sake of the innocent.

I've exited multiple times at multiple points and it has NEVER saved for me. VERY frusturating. I bought the game when my demo ran out and I figured I would try and just keep the game running until I completed it - No Such Luck.

The game crashed as soon as chapter 3 ended and ONCE AGAIN, I had to start over from the very beginning of the game. I came to this thread for answers, and apparently there are none. So very frusturating, expecially when I loved this game so dearly since it reminds me of the old school Sierra KQ point-and-click adventures.

I'm a former network security admin and tech support girl, and I tried my share of trouble shooting through the 'not saving' issue before my demo ran out, and now I'm kicking myself for not just moving along. I guess my $6 can go towards improving the game or inspiring a sequel for whoever else comes along and can get through this thing without errors that wreck their enjoyment. So much for a fun and relaxing brain workout. I'm gonna go sulk and knit something.

5susie
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by 5susie on Aug 19, 10 4:04 AM
lisslar wrote:Just know that I talk like a sailor when I am in a good mood - and right now I am in a BAD MOOD, but I'm deleting expletives for the sake of the innocent.

I've exited multiple times at multiple points and it has NEVER saved for me. VERY frusturating. I bought the game when my demo ran out and I figured I would try and just keep the game running until I completed it - No Such Luck.

The game crashed as soon as chapter 3 ended and ONCE AGAIN, I had to start over from the very beginning of the game. I came to this thread for answers, and apparently there are none. So very frusturating, expecially when I loved this game so dearly since it reminds me of the old school Sierra KQ point-and-click adventures.

I'm a former network security admin and tech support girl, and I tried my share of trouble shooting through the 'not saving' issue before my demo ran out, and now I'm kicking myself for not just moving along. I guess my $6 can go towards improving the game or inspiring a sequel for whoever else comes along and can get through this thing without errors that wreck their enjoyment. So much for a fun and relaxing brain workout. I'm gonna go sulk and knit something.

Have you contacted TwinBottles who are on this forum or Codeminium directly about your 'save' problem? If not, please do, I cannot speak highly enough of their responsiveness to assist where they can. Assuming this is not a problem with the BFG download of course!?

lisslar
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by lisslar on Aug 19, 10 5:02 PM
I think I had to vent steam - woohoo! So embarassing to devolve into such a stompy, pouty crybaby - especially in a public forum XD When they have Angry Gamers on Oprah, I'll probably be the one they trick to come on the show.

Edited:
I sent a message to TwinBottles and then I decided to give the game another try.

The game is that good.

So I played with settings some more, took it off of Panoramic and it started saving properly. I don't even.

Edited:

I think you absolutely need to exit twice. May seem like a no-brainer, but the button does say SAVE AND EXIT, not EXIT SO YOU CAN EXIT AGAIN AND THEN WE'LL SAVE.

I think that's what's goin on. I think.

Edited on 08/19/2010 at 9:59:26 PM PST

Go to: