forensicMD
Clownfish
Clownfish
529 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Samantha Swift and the Fountains of Fate

[Post New]by forensicMD on Aug 6, 10 3:37 PM
I do not care for Samantha Swift games! That is obviously a minority opinion, but it appears that those of us who do not like them have strongly negative feelings. We could never be accused of being wishy-washy about our opinion. Nuff said!

DMH5321
Minnow
Minnow
250 Posts

[Post New]by DMH5321 on Aug 6, 10 3:41 PM
I Beta tested this one and for me it is a no buy. I enjoyed the first SS game as it was something of a novelty at the time. I was bored halfway through the second, but completed anyway. The third is just more of the same endless HOG scenes. With games out there like Enlightenus and a Gypsy's Tale, this is not anythig I want to spend time on.

padres
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by padres on Aug 6, 10 4:35 PM
After the great games that have come out recently, including the three Collectors Editions, that I'm waiting for the cheaper version of, I just couldn't get into this game. Simply one list of hidden objects after another. Not even a pretense of a storyline. Seemed amateurish to me.

cinder555
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,217 Posts

[Post New]by cinder555 on Aug 6, 10 4:38 PM
I like the Samantha Swift series but the items are small. I will pass on this one.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Aug 6, 10 6:52 PM
I liked the first 2 SS games, but I just can't get into this one. I had a hard time finding objects and the lightning bolts for the hints. My eyesight is not that bad, but I actually got eye strain from trying to find objects. I didn't like that I had to wait until the game let me use objects to interact with others, as I prefer to do things when I get an item and realize what it should be used for.
I will pass on this game, even as a DD.

KC_Granny
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by KC_Granny on Aug 6, 10 9:41 PM
NO! It looks like a really great game - and if I was 20 years younger and didn't need bifocles, I would probably get it. Checking full screen makes it about 1/3 the size of the monitor. Beautiful graphics, but just so small that it isn't worth it.

pungstress
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by pungstress on Aug 6, 10 9:45 PM
Played the demo for about 30 minutes and just got bored. Maybe it's just me; a lot of BFG enthusiasts are enthusiastic about this game. I like more storyline than this provides(at least in the first 30 minutes). Graphics are okay, more cartoony than I like. Music was a bit annoying. Enjoy, everybody; this just wasn't the game for me.

GrammaKj
Clownfish
Clownfish
541 Posts

[Post New]by GrammaKj on Aug 6, 10 10:45 PM
I downloaded the trial version and played for 10-15 minutes and uninstalled. When I first joined the game site I previously belonged to, I loved SS games, but for some reason I am not in to them any more. Perhaps it's the love of Adventure Games or IHOG instead of a straight "HOG" games. I won't be purchasing this one but I'm sure I will have plenty to choose from coming soon. I realize there are many members here that love plain HOG's and that's what is great about BFG - something for everyone Enjoy playing!

Edited on 08/06/2010 at 10:48:22 PM PST

jawfish
Herring
Herring
349 Posts

[Post New]by jawfish on Aug 6, 10 10:50 PM
I really wanted to like this game but couldn't get into it either. It's very similar to the previous Samantha Swift and pretty much a straight hidden object game. I agree the items are a little small and not easy to tell what they are. Still it's a decent game and not CE priced.

joannickle
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
45,038 Posts

[Post New]by joannickle on Aug 6, 10 11:21 PM
Thank you all for the reviews and feelings of the game. I am convinced now to go and play the demo. Thanks again.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 7, 10 12:58 AM
I have the first two SS games (wasn't terribly keen on the last one anymore), but now the games are getting somewhat repetitive. I really like the graphics, but gameplay is the same as usual, and it can get somewhat boring, especially since all I have to do is go from one place to the next to seek objects, and not much else.

The one thing that really annoyed me with the game was the continuing pulsating glow of the exits, when there were any, as was in the beginning. I started to get a headache, because while searching for objects, the large pulsating golden exits were constantly in my view. Surely, I don't need that kind of a beacon to show me where the exits are.

Not sure if I will buy this game. I played 30 minutes and will have a think about it. I will play some more and then see how the game continues... So for now, the jury is out.

Edited on 08/11/2010 at 1:23:57 AM PST

[Post New]by nykelli1843 on Aug 7, 10 3:38 AM
I didn't like the other SS games, but did like this one. Just wish it would keep screen size, I have to keep opening it, closing until it comes up full screen.

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on Aug 7, 10 8:41 AM
Compared to the previous Samantha Swift games, I find this one a big disappointment. Objects are harder to find, and it takes a long time before you know what the mission in the game is. In fact I never did find out as I uninstalled the game with 16 minutes left. The reason? The bright flashing light at the bottom of the screen was giving me a headache. Note to game developers..If you are going to put that kind of animation into your games, please provide a method of disabling it. The other games in this series I have very much enjoyed. If there is another one made it will hopefully go back to the quality they were.

[Post New]by CASCADIZ on Aug 7, 10 11:07 AM
played the other s s fine but can not get this to play in full screen

ubydudy
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by ubydudy on Aug 7, 10 11:35 AM
Like most of other fishies commenting, I loved the Samantha Swift series except for the fact that in the last one I got to the final scene of the game and could not complete the game and sputtered for days over it. Now in this game 10 minutes after I purchased it I am at the fence, am missing a board, can't skip it, have used all my clues and when I went to the Walkthrough to find out where I went wrong, i find that the items on the list to find are not the same as on my list and therefore I can't melt the padlock with the acid so I cant get the crowbar, the hook is already gone so I can't bring in the box, etc., etc. How can the two lists be different and why can't I skip the puzzles on one of the best games Big Fish puts out? If I restart the game under different name will I get a different set of things to find? I am really getting frustrated!!!!! This is supposed to be fun.

wvsandy
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by wvsandy on Aug 7, 10 12:12 PM
The Samantha Swift IHOG series is such great fun. Not difficult, but not boring either, it's pretty much a perfect game for when you want to just relax and enjoy a bit of an adventure. The graphics of this game are pretty, and the hidden objects are not so small as to induce an eye strain headache but still can be a challenge to find.

For those fishies who have been unhappy with the darker games that have come out recently, this is a perfect game that adults and kids alike can enjoy. I own the two previous games, and this one will be a happy addition to the family.

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Aug 7, 10 12:26 PM
ubydudy wrote:Like most of other fishies commenting, I loved the Samantha Swift series except for the fact that in the last one I got to the final scene of the game and could not complete the game and sputtered for days over it. Now in this game 10 minutes after I purchased it I am at the fence, am missing a board, can't skip it, have used all my clues and when I went to the Walkthrough to find out where I went wrong, i find that the items on the list to find are not the same as on my list and therefore I can't melt the padlock with the acid so I cant get the crowbar, the hook is already gone so I can't bring in the box, etc., etc. How can the two lists be different and why can't I skip the puzzles on one of the best games Big Fish puts out? If I restart the game under different name will I get a different set of things to find? I am really getting frustrated!!!!! This is supposed to be fun.

We try to keep spoilers out of this topic, but if you start a new topic that say Help for Fence or something like that I can be more specific there.

In general, though, you CAN skip puzzles in this game. Click on the HINT counter in the lower left. If tit shoots lightning bolts, you can't SKIP, but the lightning bolts should give you a hint of what to do next. If it does NOT shoot lightning bolts but just give you a text hint, then click on the HINT again and it will turn to a SKIP button. Use that to skip.

As for the Find List being different--yes, they are, but all of the Key Items are the same. Most likely you've already done the things you needed to OR you're still working on the first half of the Find List and the ones you need will show up on the second half.

So first step--check the Find List and amke sure you've collected everything there except for blue (not green) items.

Good luck!
Robin

ubydudy
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by ubydudy on Aug 7, 10 2:06 PM
Thank you so much Robin for your comments. I will follow your advice and see where I get. This forum is so great and without people like you and Margie people like me would truly be lost. If this doesn't work I will start a new topic. Thanks again.

4mybirds4
Salmon
Salmon
2,663 Posts

[Post New]by 4mybirds4 on Aug 7, 10 2:40 PM
Love all the Samantha Swift games! Just trying the demo for a few min. to make sure it runs.....then will buy!

ubydudy
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by ubydudy on Aug 7, 10 2:47 PM
Hi again Robin - Just to let you know someone pays attention, once I found the crowbar it all fell into place and I didn't have to skip (hate to give up and skip). Knew it was something silly but when you can't move on in the game it can drive you nuts. Thanks again.

Go to: