Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Robin's Quest: A Legend Born

[Post New]by Slite on Aug 19, 10 5:52 AM
I don't think I've used the term "hand-holding". But when others in this thread used it, I took it to refer to the game telling the player what to do in the interactive scenes (not the hidden object ones) and not just the sparkles that mark interactive areas.

"I'll bet I could use that cane to get the keys."

"I'll bet I could distract the guards by throwing a rock through the window."

-- that kind of thing.

I'm sure saying "hand-holding" can come across as insulting, but I can see why someone would use it to put across the feeling they got. Of course, "hand-holding" could mean several things in a game or to several degrees.

And I must admit, I'm still fond of "hand-holding" in the right context with the right person.

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Aug 19, 10 6:21 AM
Riverman73 wrote:Hi Belamba, this game does have a skip button:
A blue sort of stone, with the word 'solve', its in the toolbar at the bottom of your screen and it loads rather quickly.

Hi,
Thanks for the info. I realise some games have a skip button, but a handful of other game type things didn't allow you to skip.
As it happens I managed to finish the game without any hubby help, so not too difficult mini games and puzzles :-))
I really enjoyed it too...hope there's a sequel!

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Aug 19, 10 7:04 AM
I bought it played to the end.
While I wouldn't put this on the level of truly fabulous adventure HOGs, this is an enjoyable game.

The graphics are very nice, voice-overs were very nice and the music was very nice but it felt flat compared to the charm and humor of the also closely released "Shaolin Mystery: Tale of the Jade Dragon Staff" which had a similar theme and story - and was much longer.

It was a pretty short game. It was fairly easy and, I estimate, approximately 85%- 90% straight HOG from static scenes.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Aug 19, 10 7:14 AM
goofyduck77 wrote:I had such high hopes . . . loved it - soooooo leery of adventure/ihogs and have had lots to say about them as many fishies know, but loved the graphics, the story, the dialogue, the music, all of it. And I was going along swimmingly until -- oops, STUCK! Yet another ihog that I thought I would love and I'm dead in the water without a walkthrough. And I hate walkthroughs. I took somebody's advice with Mystery Diary and used the Windows key and went back and forth - found the screwdriver, switch to w/t. Found the magnet, switch to w/t, etc., etc., etc. Not fun, no matter how easy it was to minimize and maximize the game.

So I'm at the market and the hint just fizzles at me. I threw the fish into the scale and nothing.

Anyway, if BF comes out with a walkthrough, I might see if I can at least finish the demo, but it doesn't look too good right now. I know I'm repeating myself, and maybe I'm just a raving moron in not being able to figure out these ihogs, especially when other reviews say all kinds of things about how easy it is and not enough of a challenge and didn't like the "hand-holding." HOLD MY HAND! PLEASE!!!

And so I wait yet another day for a game I can play, enjoy, and buy for future fun.

when the hint just fizles there is nothing you can do at the moment in that scene.there are more fish in other hog scenes

rosebud477
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by rosebud477 on Aug 19, 10 7:22 AM
Great graphics and story line game credit well spent.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Aug 19, 10 7:33 AM
krissywillow wrote:thanks for all the reviews. based on the number of comments about how easy it is (puzzles and hand-holding) I won't be getting this. I haven't tried the demo but I know I do not like games that tell you everywhere to go and everything to do.

I just finished Echoes: Castle and it was excellent because there wasn't any hand holding in the adventure aspect OR the puzzles. (Of course the forum was full of complaints about that!! ) Everyone has different things they want in a game and I generally prefer harder iHOGS. ...

The sequel to The Treasures of Mystery Island just got posted today on the developer website. I am in the middle of the demo and it looks pretty good - let's you mostly figure things out for yourself (a task list pops up, but I close it and pretty much ignore it). It is IHOG/FROG (and I imagine you could say some adventure?). You may be interested in trying that one - I have a hunch BFG will offer it, eventually anyway. If you don't have the first one and need the dev name, PM me.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Aug 19, 10 7:37 AM
Slite wrote:...I'm sure saying "hand-holding" can come across as insulting, but I can see why someone would use it to put across the feeling they got. Of course, "hand-holding" could mean several things in a game or to several degrees.

And I must admit, I'm still fond of "hand-holding" in the right context with the right person.

UH-OH - I am the guilty party who used that term - have used it before - didn't mean to insult ANYBODY and that was not at all my intention. Sorry to whoever took offense. My meaning was telling where I should go next, what I should do next, etc. Let us just call it too much guidance then.

Humble apologies

bailey8877
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by bailey8877 on Aug 19, 10 8:00 AM
this is a nicely put together game, but I found it lacking in depth and objectives. I give it a 2.5/5.

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by Slite on Aug 19, 10 8:02 AM
Sorry Shadowfax! Didn't mean to imply you'd said anything wrong -- just worried how the term might come across to others.

In any case, you are the most beautiful and fearless horse ever and only Gandolf himself can ride you. So you are pretty well set.

jmwillo
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

[Post New]by jmwillo on Aug 19, 10 8:39 AM
Just played the demo and really enjoyed this game a little adventure with the Hog's .This one I will buy and going by the reports from other fishes I made the right choice.

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Aug 19, 10 9:09 AM
Bought this game because I was drawn in by the story and the music (I am a total sucker for music that sounds even vaguely medieval). I was not disappointed by the game, having read that it was fairly simple. There were a few places I got stuck, but I never had to use a hint, although I did use several skips - there are some puzzles that are just more frustration than fun for me. All in all, everything was fine until I exited the puzzle at the end. Got a black (not blue!) screen and had to go into Task Manager and shut down the process for the game and the one for Firefox as well. Probably just my system.

If you like a nice, restful IHOG without any great challenges, well-done and with a storyline that isn't a clone of every other game out there, by all means at least try the demo. Oh, and if you're a Ricardian (and you know who you are LOL), there's a tiny something extra to watch out for.

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Aug 19, 10 9:27 AM
There is a full walkthrough posted here at Big Fish Games. Click on the Try this Game link at the top of the page, then click on the link to the Blog Walkthrough.

http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/robins-quest-a-legend-born-walkthrough/

The difference between the two modes is that in the Advanced mode Robin's spoken dialogue is exactly the same as the text bubble next to her. In the Casual mode the spoken dialogue gives you more detail about what you have to do next. Also, there are more sparkle hints in Casual mode.

To get the full benefit of the adventure aspect of the game you need to make it your personal goal to collect all of the optional items. There's a Progress Page in the Journal in the lower right that tells you how close you are to getting everything. Collecting all the optional items will just about double the length of the game.

By the way, you can go back into the game even after you've completed all the Quests and check the journal page and keep playing to get the optional items if you do want to fuly complete that progress page.

Robin

Edited on 08/19/2010 at 9:48:45 AM PST

Meisie84
Guppy
Guppy
134 Posts

[Post New]by Meisie84 on Aug 19, 10 9:27 AM
Downloading now. I took a look at the walkthrough (to see the screen shots) and it looks like I will enjoy this. I'm not looking for something difficult, but relaxing. This looks like it'll fit the bill...

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Aug 19, 10 9:31 AM
THANKS FISHIES

i am going to DL now...I love these type of games.

and the STORY is going to be different , since its A WOMAN. & married?

What is going to happen to Maid Marianne ( sp?)

I will play and find out

PEN

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 19, 10 9:35 AM
After playing the demo, I'm curious... Is there a more feminine take on the problem solving in this game, as a whole, than in others?

You notice, she didn't shoot the birds to get rid of them, she shot the lanterns to get them to leave. The friar's contribution to the band of merry men was persuasion, and he was the first member. She uses the lure of a freshly baked pie to distract the guards (- although the rock at the jail wasn't very subtle.)

Catghost
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Catghost on Aug 19, 10 11:22 AM
gimmegames wrote:After playing the demo, I'm curious... Is there a more feminine take on the problem solving in this game, as a whole, than in others?

You notice, she didn't shoot the birds to get rid of them, she shot the lanterns to get them to leave. The friar's contribution to the band of merry men was persuasion, and he was the first member. She uses the lure of a freshly baked pie to distract the guards (- although the rock at the jail wasn't very subtle.)

I hadn't thought of the game in that way. Feminine take on problemsolving, let's sit back and try to remember.... Actually, she does let all the 'villains' go, after they give her what she wants (and sometimes a little bonus to boot). But I didn't mind. I played a game once where I had to shoot wolves and bears to get on in the game. Hated every second of it. Love wolves...

ibn1984
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by ibn1984 on Aug 19, 10 11:50 AM
This game has everything. I like the storyline, Robin being a girl. I feel like I'm not just playing a HOG, but I am on an adventure. The grahics are great, the music is suitable for the game, and the characaters all serve a purpose in the game. The puzzles are doable. It looks long according to the number of chapters, and that you have to revisit some areas. This one is a buy for me. Still waiting for Redemption Cemetary: Curse of the Raven $6.99 version to come out, but these past few HOG games this month have been keeping me busy.

Edited on 08/19/2010 at 11:59:44 AM PST

bfgTigris
Salmon
Salmon
2,693 Posts

[Post New]by bfgTigris on Aug 19, 10 12:25 PM
Hey everyone!

It’s great to see all of the great comments and reviews! I noticed that some players were posting about the differences in the Beta and Released version and wanted to clarify. The Beta is kind of like a polished rough draft and changes are often made when the game is released. Since not all users were able to play the Beta, it’s best to go ahead and put SPOILER ALERT above any posts about the Beta or posts that include plot points as a friendly warning for others.

Thanks again everyone, keep those reviews comin’!

bfgTigris

dcairns
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by dcairns on Aug 19, 10 12:43 PM
I enjoyed this one. It was cute, and fairly easy, I didn't have to skip anything which was nice. The graphics are cute and I found the music soothing and not irritating. I usually turn the sound off after a while, but I didn't on this one.

I would say it is a 4/5. I would have given it a 5/5 if it had been a bit longer. It took me only a couple of hours to play it. I would have liked it to last longer than that. I also found it a bit too easy, but then I like a challenging game.

Having said all that, I guess I can't complain considering I used a coupon to buy it so it was free for me.

I would recommend this game!

lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

[Post New]by lilyr on Aug 19, 10 12:44 PM
goofyduck: Count me in as someone who likes "hand-holding"! I'm getting better at iHOGs, but still appreciate some nudges. There was a game recently about having to save a kingdom by waking a princess. It had LOTS of hand-holding & I loved it! I think I only had to consult the walkthrough once. I want to play MCF: RTR but I still think it's above my comfort level. And forget Syberia! (sp?)

I think I'll take a chance on this one though.

Go to: