windchild
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

Re:Using/ Accessing the Built-in Smart Guide (Strategy Guide)

[Post New]by windchild on Sep 10, 10 4:52 AM
I guess I am old and stuck in my ways but i will not be buying this game untill or unless a walkthru becomes available. I just can't seem to follow the hints they are too indeciferable.

elboranch
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by elboranch on Sep 10, 10 8:42 AM
HELP !!!! I finished the game with the help of a few hints, (forgot about the smart guide) Then went on to the bonus game. Well I can't get past the library, I collected stars and shards but cannot get back down through the pop up book, I think that is where I have to go ????? I have been back to the beginnning bell ruins so many timne but can only go as far as the library, when I get to the popup it won't let me go down!?!?!?!?!?!?

Xipher
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by Xipher on Sep 10, 10 9:58 AM
You don't go downstairs through the book. You have to leave the book and the hitbox for the stair is to the left of the pedestal scene.

[Post New]by CASCADIZ on Sep 12, 10 11:46 AM
I AM STUCK IN ONE SCENE TRYING TO FIND THE 3 MUSICAL PEOPLE,I AM GETTING FED UP NOW DEF NEED STRATEGY GUIDE,ALL THE HINT KEEPS SHOWING IS WHERE I NEED TO BE BUT I CAN NOT FIND HOW TO GET THERE,I KEEPS SAYING THE SAME THING AND DOES NOT TELL YOU HOW TO GET THERE.

omaet
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
8 Posts

[Post New]by omaet on Sep 13, 10 3:26 PM
Many of the places I get stuck at dont have the hint related to the problem, showing a solution for the puzzle is fine but what if you can't maneuver the stuff to get the solution.
ie. I am trying to get the symbols from one side to the other to get rid of the birds and they will not go to the other side, I have tried catching them high and low and they dont cross over eveery time.
This is a very frustating game as the puzzles are not explaine3d and often yoiu have no idea how to even approach one.

[Post New]by tata1120 on Sep 14, 10 7:02 AM
Help I'm stuck where you have to use the toad poster, I can't seam to find the spot. Maybe I'm just dumb? But please HELP. Thanks.

Xipher
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by Xipher on Sep 14, 10 9:59 AM
CASCADIZ wrote:I AM STUCK IN ONE SCENE TRYING TO FIND THE 3 MUSICAL PEOPLE,I AM GETTING FED UP NOW DEF NEED STRATEGY GUIDE,ALL THE HINT KEEPS SHOWING IS WHERE I NEED TO BE BUT I CAN NOT FIND HOW TO GET THERE,I KEEPS SAYING THE SAME THING AND DOES NOT TELL YOU HOW TO GET THERE.

Remember that scene where the smoke monster was at? If you lit the second beacon, he should have wisp away. On that screen, you can go forward, then left, and left again.

It's to left of the theatre cart scene

[Post New]by HAPPYGOLUCKY48 on Sep 16, 10 10:07 PM
I can't get to the violen guy. My compter get's locked up.

[Post New]by Ms_Downs on Sep 18, 10 2:07 PM
I don't get through these types of games real well without some help, but for this particular game between Franklin's advice and the occasional use of hints I was able to get through the main game and I'm now in the bonus part of the game. Just be patient and think through the advice. I think it was great that I didn't have to leave the game to consult a walk through guide. I will admit I did do a lot of virtual running back and forth.

Edited on 09/18/2010 at 2:09:11 PM PST

[Post New]by petunia_1965 on Sep 19, 10 7:30 PM
Can anyone tell me where to find or to find the second beacon......I seem to keep walking in circles PLEASE HELP!!!!!! Soon please before I give up on this SE

oct2447
Stingray
Stingray
5,937 Posts

[Post New]by oct2447 on Sep 20, 10 8:52 PM
Although I appreciate the hints, the built-in "smart guide" isn't smart enough to know how dumb I am............. I need a walk through!

peony99
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by peony99 on Sep 25, 10 3:03 PM
minxs wrote:This "Smart guide" is a mess to me. I'm on the music puzzle (way at the beginning). Franklin tells me I have to solve the music puzzle and put 10 notes (which I have) in blank spaces. Then I click on the "Hint" and I see the end of the first bar, circled, with three silver notes. There are also some number of colored notes.

I can put the silver notes in and move them around to some degree. Then they get stuck and won't move any more. The puzzle isn't solved, it's just stuck. And there's no skip. So I'm starting over from the beginning.

NOT a happy camper here, BF. If this is what we are getting for the $6 less it's not much of a bargain!

peony99
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by peony99 on Sep 25, 10 3:09 PM
I agree with ALL of you who have had difficulty using the Guide. It is barely helpful in some instances and totally unhelpful in others. It shows an image of what a solved puzzle looks like but there are no clues on how to solve it. Franklin, on the other hand gives some direction to where you should go next. But nowhere do we find out how to actually solve the puzzles. I have been able to solve some of them but In absolute frustration I have hit the SKIP button far too many times and this has taken much of the fun away for me.

sunnny
Manatee
Manatee
3,945 Posts

[Post New]by sunnny on Oct 1, 10 10:10 AM
If I knew how frustrating and non-informative is the ?SMART?
Strategy guide, I would have not bought the CE.
Now I am replaying the game with a walkthrough, but cannot get
to the top of the town

# Grab the BLUE LANTERN (G) in the upper right.- done

# Click down, and make 2 lefts.- Click down OK,
make 2 lefts , not possible

# Take the RED FABRIC 3/6 on the steps (H).

# Go up the steps.

# Take the PIECE OF POSTER (I) on the left.
?????

Margie, if you are still monitoring this forum, PLEASE HELP

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Oct 9, 10 7:13 AM
I am slowly but surely getting a video walkthrough of the game done. I'm up to the library and will be putting that up soon. The plan is to finish cutting the game and putting up the vids this weekend. I only have a few chores I need to do, and the rest of the weekend will be dedicated to this. I'm doing my best to keep the vids around 5 minutes each, no more than 10 minutes. This way you can go directly to the section you need help with without wading through a bunch of stuff you don't need. It's going onto my Photobucket, under the username VingilotVids. If you want a direct link, PM me via the little purple envelope at the top of this post. Once I have everything up, I'll put a list of the parts and what they contain here.

Edit: The videos maxed out my regular account, so I had to create a second account and trim the videos down to just the bare bones and use a lower resolution, but everything you need to complete the game is there. There are 7 total videos. Please read the summaries, as tips to some of the mini games can be found there:

1 - The Underground - start of game to getting up to the city
2 - The First Beacon - after getting into the city to lighting the first beacon
3 - The Library - getting into the library and into the Children's ward.
4 - The Children's Ward - completing the Children's ward and building the bridge below the library.
5 - Frogs and Queen's Face - after getting into the second part of the city (violinist statue) to lighting the second beacon.
6 - The Marionettes and Violin Door - after lighting the second beacon to lighting the last beacon
7 - Bonus Game - this is for the CE only and covers only the completion of the painting to open the door.

Edited on 10/12/2010 at 8:46:42 PM PST

[Post New]by sandy8585 on Feb 13, 11 8:21 PM
this is really the worst mcf i have ever played. i wont buy another one. strategy guide was terrible. the game was so confusing. i've never had to ever use a walkthrough so much. thank you to the people who posted the walktrough, otherwise i would be asking for a refund.

Edited on 12/06/2011 at 6:38:20 PM PST

[Post New]by siegvelt on Apr 10, 11 5:25 PM
truckingirl wrote:
tuttepeever wrote:I really find the Strategy Guide pretty much useless because it is only helpful minimally.

I am stuck after finishing the garden painting and the popup book and then I was into level 3 with the toad picture. I don't know if I backed out or was taken out but now I can't get back to level 3 and I'll be damned if I am going to spend another 4 hours replaying to get back again. So if someone could please help me I'd greatly appreciate it.

Same thing here. Got back to pop up book in library but can not get down the staircase to go back to go back to the level I was on.

bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Apr 12, 11 3:05 AM
Hi siegvelt,

Welcome to the pond!

You do not need to zoom into the pop up book itself to go down the staircase. Once you have zoomed into the staircase though, try clicking on the center part of the staircase, closer to the winding part of the center column.

I was clicking a little to the right of the central staircase to get down to the lower level.

Hope this helps!

bfgImbrium

kinget
Guppy
Guppy
154 Posts

[Post New]by kinget on Aug 21, 11 10:13 AM
I've got the SE and am having an awful time with it, so I thought I'd spring for the CE to get the Smart Guide until I read this thread. Sounds really useless. I loved the first one, but I'm having a terrible time with this one and am having to start over. Guess I'll just be flipping back and forth to the Walkthrough all day - or giving up on what looks to be a good game. Thanks for saving me the CE money!

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Aug 21, 11 10:27 AM
I never used the strategy guide. Franklin's hints should be enough.
A hint from me - understand the cut-scene after you've inserted the season's pictures into the pop-up book with the stairs.

Go to: