Re:Nightmare Adventures: The Witch's Prison

[Post New]by overthehill60 on Sep 5, 10 5:07 AM
I've been looking forward to this game for some time and was really excited to see that it was available today. I had problems with the cursor and the game ran rather slowly when trying to use the inventory items. I did go in and change the cursor from the custom one offered and that helped a little. The use of inventory items however was a distraction. My computer meets all the system requirements so perhaps there will be some type of fix offered for this problem. As far as the graphics go, I enjoyed the dark atmosphere and the music seemed to set the mood. There is a lightheartedness to the game and I especially liked the one hidden object game I played. I don't know if there are other **** games but I hope so especially if they're like the first one. I'm going to go ahead and buy the game now and hope that there is some fix for the use of the inventory items. I like to take my time when I play a game and this one seems to have sufficient length to keep me busy for several hours.
Hope everyone has enjoyed the holiday weekend and been able to buy all the games you've been hoping to play. Tomorrow is another day and who knows what great game might be offered on the last day of the sale.

nanaseaweed
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

[Post New]by nanaseaweed on Sep 5, 10 5:09 AM
Oh what a great sense of humor! The instructions say click anywhere no penalties for clicking! Great! I clicked on the tree nothing...I clicked somewhere else on the tree...and it said..yeap same tree hasn't moved! LOL...well you can tell so far I love it!
Nana Sal

steelerlady1
Minnow
Minnow
213 Posts

[Post New]by steelerlady1 on Sep 5, 10 5:29 AM
I like it!!!! i havent run into any problems as previously mentioned. i think with the sale this is a keeper for me!

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Sep 5, 10 5:59 AM
carolinacat wrote:I'm not purchasing this one. Besides the technical issues involved, I found the game to be too simple. The graphics are poor, not the brightness but the actual drawing of the graphics themselves.

I found the game to be uninteresting and boring. I'm sure some will like it, if they can get past jittery cursors and slow gameplay. You click on something and have a lag time before anything happens.

For me, this game is truly a "nightmare" and it's being deleted now.

Hi carolinacat!

I was afraid to post for fear of getting tarred & feathered or stoned!! I didn't experience any tech issues (yet anyway, only 30 min into demo) but I was finding the storyline plodding and the gameplay not much challenge at all. Think I will wait until later on in the day to finish the demo and see if the game looks a little different in the light of day, but, so far a no buy for me as well. In addition, it doesn't sound like it is a very long game either... ah, well, and I already own the DD

nanaseaweed
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

[Post New]by nanaseaweed on Sep 5, 10 6:35 AM
nanaseaweed wrote:Oh what a great sense of humor! The instructions say click anywhere no penalties for clicking! Great! I clicked on the tree nothing...I clicked somewhere else on the tree...and it said..yeap same tree hasn't moved! LOL...well you can tell so far I love it!
Nana Sal

my trial ran out and it's a buy for me! Lots to do and humor too.
Try it you'll like it!

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Sep 5, 10 6:58 AM
I haven't had any trouble with the cursor or with the inventory. I like the story, and while it is a little easy, it gives me some practice on this type of game, as I usually go with HOGs. It's a definite buy, especially at the ENDLESS price. Once I finish, I will investigate more Adventure games. Any suggestions?

nixyseven
Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

[Post New]by nixyseven on Sep 5, 10 8:06 AM
I bought the game after the trial, although I did turn off the custom cursor which sped up the mouse control substantially.

It took me about 4 hours to finish, which seems about average for this type of game.

The puzzles were good and I found them challenging, especially some of the word puzzles (like where you have to rearrange the books on the shelves to make them spell out something.)

A couple of times I did use a hint because I just couldn't see what I was supposed to do next (i.e. there's no sparkles to tell you what to do next.)

Overall I found it to be worth the money and the puzzles enjoyable. I wasn't that enthralled with the storyline, because I'm a bit sick of abandoned asylums, but honestly I tend to skim over story in games anyway. It's rare for something to really pull me in.

I would recommend it, especially at the lower price for the weekend special.

nixyseven
Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

[Post New]by nixyseven on Sep 5, 10 8:10 AM
gailweis wrote:Once I finish, I will investigate more Adventure games. Any suggestions?

You might try the Echos of the Past games as well as the first Drawn game. (The second one is great, but it's a CE, so you won't get it at the special price.)

Saelihnne
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by Saelihnne on Sep 5, 10 8:37 AM
This is a definite buy for me. The graphics are really beautiful for a spooky sort of game and I have enjoyed the story thus far. I love the fact you can change the cursor and adjust the brightness.
I tend to be a click happy player and in this game, such is encouraged.
I have not run into any technical issues yet.
Thanks again ! I am off to spend my credit!

tabsy
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Nightmare Adventures: The Witch's Prison

[Post New]by tabsy on Sep 5, 10 9:29 AM
Love the game, looks like I'm near half way after the trial hour so it'll probably be relatively short. But, the story is interesting and the captions are very funny, so nice to have a game with such wit and humor (I loved the HOG trial game on the first computer LOL). It's not a difficult game for the experienced player but engaging nonetheless. For $4.99 it's a definite buy for me.

[Post New]by ghostguide2002 on Sep 5, 10 9:41 AM
This is a nice game ... purchased it after 15 minutes of demo ...

No problems with the cursor

Graphics are clear

Hint recharges quickly

No penalty for numerous clicks

Story line is good, no voice overs, which I like

Mini games are on the easy/hard side ... you are able to skip .... got to do some thinkin' on some of them. So I've put on my thinkin' cap! (you must read with a southern accent I'm from the south)

Great game in my opinon ... I would give this

aalaurie
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by aalaurie on Sep 5, 10 9:43 AM
Almost didn't demo this game after reading the technical issues forum, but downloaded it to try anyway.

That said, I was pleasantly surprised to have no issues with this game. The cursor is fine and no trouble with the inventory. I am using XP and it seems to be compatible with all of the games I have tried so far (with the exception of one I tried a year ago) I would tell you the name of that game, but am having a senior moment and CRS is in the hall.

Overall, the game is engaging and funny. The brightness option is excellent. I only wish all of the developers would take a page out of this book and make it available in any future games with really dark screens.

I am off to buy it now. Would give it a 4 out of 5.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Sep 5, 10 9:50 AM
Having no issues with this game. Liked it and bought it after 30 minutes of play. Looks relatively long and definitely worth the 4.99 sale price. Hope everyone enjoys.

Lyvia
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by Lyvia on Sep 5, 10 10:11 AM
spiritdog51 wrote:I thought the screen shots were interesting. Sad to say it really is dull. And for those of you who don't like music, this game has none. Really simplistic, very quiet, and pretty hand holding easy.
Definite no buy from me. Sad, as I really wanted to like this one. I've only played 15 minutes of it, and got bored, so it will be deleted. Sigh.

Yes, that's the way I feel. It was just too easy. And I hate that it was, because the humor and story and atmosphere were top notch. Like you, I wanted to like it. But several times, even without the clue that I was supposed to need, I solved the puzzle. Once I was just clicking randomly to figure out what I was supposed to do and with the third click, the puzzle was solved. Later, I found the clue I should have needed. That happened with a lot of puzzles.

I played for 45 minutes, thinking it might get harder, but for me, it wasn't enough of a challenge. If it's ever a DD, I'd get it in a heartbeat, though.

bailey8877
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by bailey8877 on Sep 5, 10 10:18 AM
I didn't like this game very much. I really tried, but couldn't get into the story line. Nothing seemed very cohesive, but I guess sometime games are like that. Thank goodness we get to try them out before we purchase them.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Sep 5, 10 10:21 AM
_DD_ wrote:
prpldva wrote:The walkthrough is posted in the blog if you need:

http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/nightmare-adventures-the-witchs-prison-walkthrough/
Thanks prpldva for the W/t! I already needed it for the 5th gear... tsk, and I had been so proud how I handled the tree!

I am confused and ran out of demo time. The main screen said there is a strategy guide - does it not work in this version? Does anybody know?

jmwillo
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

[Post New]by jmwillo on Sep 5, 10 10:24 AM
Looked forward to playing this game but like many others the custom cursor just would not work properly in the inventory so I switched to normal and still had problems. I still played up to some of the puzzles on the graves but this will not be a buy for me as the cursor makes the game fustrating.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Sep 5, 10 10:26 AM
ghostguide2002 wrote:This is a nice game ... purchased it after 15 minutes of demo ...

...Great game in my opinon ... I would give this

{drum roll}

I am on the edge of my seat.... LOLOL

(just teasing you ghostguide)

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Sep 5, 10 11:06 AM
shadowfax44 wrote:I am confused and ran out of demo time. The main screen said there is a strategy guide - does it not work in this version? Does anybody know?
I just answered this in another thread, and I was confused about the question at first, because to the best of my knowledge, only CE's have a built-in SG.

The button in a game is just advertising, just like buttons labelled "our other games" and the like. In this case also, I didn't even try it out at first, cos it "has always been that way" <g> - and indeed, it just leads you to the BFG site where it can be downloaded and bought (!). Look at the game d/l page also, it's linked from there.

And that's why we are happy with the W/t!

[Post New]by crazybluegirl200 on Sep 5, 10 11:07 AM
I think I will buy this game since it is on sale. It doesn't seem like it is a 5 star game. Maybe 3 stars. The only thing that is really annoying is the lack of music. Normally I turn music down but this is so low I can barely hear it. Also I wish it had actual hog scenes with a list.

Go to: