kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition

[Post New]by kdubs on Sep 9, 10 9:50 PM
This is a beautiful game! Great graphics and appropriately atmospheric music. There's so much to do! I have 8 items in my inventory that I don't yet have a good idea of where/how they will be used.
This would be my first CE ever.....I wonder if it will have enough bonus play to justify this being my first CE.
Please keep the good juicy reviews coming so I can make that tough decision. Thanks.

sirhc56
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition

[Post New]by sirhc56 on Sep 9, 10 10:33 PM
I played the Demo and I loved it! I will probably be buying the CE version 'cus I need all the help I can get. Even with the SG I will probably be skipping some puzzles though!
Have fun all!

rhorho
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by rhorho on Sep 9, 10 11:38 PM
Kdubs, I read that there is about 45 minutes of extra play time. For me that means about an hour or so. Hope that helps.

beeboppa
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Editio

[Post New]by beeboppa on Sep 10, 10 12:07 AM
Merryweather wrote:I am absolutely STUCK. I have played through to starting the boiler to open the door 3 times and I cannot go further. The hint and help keep telling me that I must connect the wheel, which I thought I did. In the strategy guide it says to use the bolt. I don't have one, cannot locate one and feel like I must be blind.

Other than the above problem, this has been another hit for BFGames.

The bolt is on the boiler ..right side..hope this hint is legal!!

cathmaree
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by cathmaree on Sep 10, 10 12:41 AM
I am really getting sick of all these collectors games. Only the games worth having are collectors and the extras in them aren't worth the extra money we have to pay. You are ripping us off.

Mrs_Kim
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

[Post New]by Mrs_Kim on Sep 10, 10 12:59 AM
Could anyone share with me if this one's better than Murder in Rue Morque because it is a so-so game for me. The Collector Edition is expensive, but at least we can get 3 punches instead of one

julie2753
Clownfish
Clownfish
542 Posts

[Post New]by julie2753 on Sep 10, 10 1:11 AM
Great game i love it, graphics are great well worth the CE price one of the best games i have played for a while.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Sep 10, 10 2:51 AM
Great game but I will wait for the regular version, too many CE lately and even at a lower price can't afford to buy all of them

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Editi

[Post New]by KatFreak on Sep 10, 10 3:43 AM
cathmaree wrote:I am really getting sick of all these collectors games. Only the games worth having are collectors and the extras in them aren't worth the extra money we have to pay. You are ripping us off.

Then just wait until they come out as standard editions. No biggie. Same game as the collector's edition, regular price, no extras. Only takes a few weeks.

Edited on 09/10/2010 at 4:19:16 AM PST

plutiman21
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by plutiman21 on Sep 10, 10 4:45 AM
I love this game and would have definitely bought the Collectors Edition except that you can't use the strategy guide until you buy the full game. All the other CE editions I have bought - eg Flux Family, Reincarnations uncover the past, PuppetShow, etc. you have been able to use the strategy guide during the demo. I don't want to buy the CE and then find that the strategy guide doesn't work so will have to wait for the ordinary version to come out - it's a shame - I wonder why they have done this so you can't access it to see if it works or not?????

teeka57
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by teeka57 on Sep 10, 10 5:25 AM
I seem to have a problem with this game I Dl'ed the demo, it wont play it says its running somewhere eles and play exit that before playing , I cant uninstall it from my computer keeps says its running plays exit game, could some please help me?

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Sep 10, 10 5:30 AM
When I have bought strategy guides for some tough games, RTR and DG for $6.99 plus $6.99 for the reg version, it's the same price now for both, and ST is integrated, no more leaving to find a WT. So rip off? Not for me, I am very delighted with the new price. Other CEs I paid old price for was to have SG, not interested in the other frills, but some extended play is nice.

Delighted with the price, delighted with this game, just finished the demo, don't know why I bothered because ERS games never disappoint me regardless which version. I'm not known to love much adventure to and fro and lost in loops (why SGs help keep me on track without blatant spoilers). I'm surprised I even bought the first Poe Rue Morgue, Poe stories back in school I had to read creeped me out. But I went for it because ERS does such great HOGs, soft on the eyes, interesting, nothing trite. Even played Rue twice just for the HOGs, and the using inventory in both aren't over my league. Maybe because I don't play Expert, and the ambiance, music is so relaxing, it is a non-stress adventure for me.

No SG for demo but haven't needed one so far, relaxed it seems easier to remember all the hotspots to revisit when I have the right tools. Can't get lost, loved the comment when I was going to go past a sparkly HOG into next room, it tells me I better stay inside where I am for now. This is one of the few that I put in earbuds to hear the wonderful music that is so complimentary for opening each new scene, then kinda fades before monotonous (slow playing gets too many loops on other games). Laptop speakers so rinkydink, immerse yourself with music which doesn't fight with sound effects. Perfect blend, low bass suspense with interplay of piano theme dancing counterpoint reminds me it's a game playiing with me. Oh, and one slow waltz tempo, found my pointer swinging back and forth on screen keeping time LOL. Perfect weaving together of art and sound and like someone said DOABLE. Although I haven't hit a puzzle yet. The few tips in thread helped a bit to kick start me into the house, but I'd probably done it if not a timed demo to think long.

Needed a few hints per HOG, but the pleasure of saying "oh, good one!" to compliment the designer, or oh I'd never have seen that on small screen, thanks a lot. No frustration. OK can't wait to pick up the game now that it loaded. Don't wait for me to report re length or extra play, may be days or a week. I'm going to enjoy this, don't rush me

BOREDAND50
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by BOREDAND50 on Sep 10, 10 6:01 AM
Great game! I played the demo and immediately bought it.... can't wait to get home from work today and play it!!!!

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Sep 10, 10 6:22 AM
I shouldn't read these reviews at work, because then I want to go straight home. Do I feel a headache coming on? Played the first one and loved it; this one sounds even better. Can't wait!

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Editio

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Sep 10, 10 6:25 AM
gailweis wrote:I shouldn't read these reviews at work, because then I want to go straight home. Do I feel a headache coming on? Played the first one and loved it; this one sounds even better. Can't wait!

Do you want me to write you a doctor's note so that you can leave work?
Do you think it would matter that I'm not a doctor??

Have a good day and hang in there gailweis...

MsNona1126
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,880 Posts

[Post New]by MsNona1126 on Sep 10, 10 7:28 AM
Ok, excellent game Like that you can play Regular mode or expert mode. Makes it a re-playable game for me. Finished the demo with about 10 minutes to spare. Graphics are excellent, music not annoying and mini puzzles make me put my thinking cap on . All in all one of the best games I've played. Will be purchasing this one.

Betsy46
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by Betsy46 on Sep 10, 10 7:33 AM
First post in the pond! Wanted to thank all of the fishies for their help by posting - I really depend on your reviews! I love this game, just love it - being a mix between HOG and adventure. Off to buy it!

VolleymomDee
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by VolleymomDee on Sep 10, 10 10:59 AM
I absolutely love this game. It is more adventure than an HOG, but it is wonderful! I love Poe graphics, and I like the way the game progresses (moving back and forth from room to room finding key items). I would have purchased this at $19.99, so it was fantastic to get it at $13.99. Thanks again Big Fish!

CiCiRR
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

5 minutes in and I have this to say

[Post New]by CiCiRR on Sep 10, 10 11:03 AM
I enjoyed the previous EAP mystery, and I'm sure this one will be good too.

However, if BF wants us to buy into "collector's edition" games, why not include the strategy guide as part of the trial package? Or at the very least, a taste of what the strategy guide offers. I don't buy on spec. If I can't try it, I won't buy it.

GAMEZEBO provides walkthroughs for most HOG/adventure games that are FREE and very good. Granted, their walkthroughs aren't available at the same time a game is released but it's FREE. The lag time for me beats paying extra for a built-in strategy guide that I'm not sure warrents the higher price.

So I'll wait until the standard game is released before I consider buying it.

Edited on 09/10/2010 at 11:06:11 AM PST

tredzwater
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

[Post New]by tredzwater on Sep 10, 10 11:43 AM
Darn it! I couldn't drag myself away from the game long enough to post a review early so I'll just "me too" all the complimentary ones.

Awesome game and the new price meant that I didn't have to wait around, chewing my nails, for the regular edition to come out. I could grab the CE as soon as the notice reached my Inbox.

BTW, I didn't even demo it. I liked the first Dark Tales, loved the 2nd and adore the third. It'll be hard for the developers to top this one but I have faith.

I tore myself away just to post a review so I'm hurrying back to play while the dust gently settles on my furniture and my kitten gets his scritchies one-handed.

Go to: