Carolest
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery P.I.: Stolen in San Francisco

[Post New]by Carolest on Sep 17, 10 9:28 PM
I think these games are perfect for people who love straight HOG.
The graphics are gorgeous, the objects are cleverly hidden (not just made tiny), the music is unobtrusive, and the games aren't glitchy.
Fantastic games and the developers ought to be very proud of themselves as they always do a brilliant job.

SherrieS
Minnow
Minnow
275 Posts

[Post New]by SherrieS on Sep 17, 10 10:33 PM
Good format (template) maybe if it is anextended dry spell I may considering buying it-but after awhile your use to improving your skiolls in HOGs IHOGS or Frogs or even Cogs---I would have like the decent format but updated a bit.
maybe DD with a 3/5

cyndrap
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by cyndrap on Sep 18, 10 11:07 AM
Your comments are the reason I did not buy this one - it is exactly the same as the others - they play well, have great graphics but become repetitive
so a no buy for me

Caraface wrote:Question - does this game deviate at all from other Mystery PI games? They are so well designed, but I find them repetitive - if there are any added elements or IHOG components, I'd be willing to give it a whirl, otherwise I'll pass on it.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 18, 10 12:49 PM
The Mystery PI games are the actual definition of the traditional straight HOG with all the traditional objects (plus the spin top in each scene).

Spin Top has made it their job the to be the folks who do right all the time, who do it perfectly all the time and you know EXACTLY what you're getting with each game.

So, Kudos to Spin Top for the perfection of the traditional HOG.

(Is that a good thing? Matter of taste.)

Edited on 09/18/2010 at 12:50:54 PM PST

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Sep 19, 10 12:23 AM
The graphics are fair and the storyline is fairly common. However, the gameplay is magnificent. Standard HOG. Clues are varied and keep one;s interest. It is a nice addition to the series.

It's an A.

glocal
Flounder
Flounder
2,408 Posts

[Post New]by glocal on Sep 19, 10 7:20 AM
I like the Mystery P I series. Easy to do straight HOG. There are many similarities between the games and most of the mini games are a bit too easy.

All in all these games are fun to play. I like the extra of finding the key, badges, symbols & such in every scene. Good game to play with the grandchildren. Pleasant music.
As previously stated, you could just buy one, as I did, but they got to me and they are like collectibles.

After finding the required items, I see so many others to find that it makes repeat gameplay a must!

edited for spelling

Edited on 09/19/2010 at 7:21:48 AM PST

FRENCHIE48
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by FRENCHIE48 on Sep 19, 10 8:05 AM
THIS IS AS GOOD AS THE REST I JUST CANNOT IMAGINE I DID NOT SEE IT COME UP. I SAW IT ADVERTISED IN POGO SO CAME TO B.F. IMMEDIATELY TO FIND IT. KEEP EM COMING FISH DUDES. THIS MAKES 556 GAMES WE OWN LOL

Edited on 09/19/2010 at 8:06:03 AM PST

[Post New]by GAMEGIRL4231 on Sep 19, 10 3:54 PM
1unicorn wrote:Need help. I have found all the keys except the one in the picture of the old prospector. Have been there several times and still can't find it. Someone please help. Thanks.

Harriju
Clownfish
Clownfish
593 Posts

[Post New]by Harriju on Sep 19, 10 4:17 PM
I love these games and am looking forward to the next!

[Post New]by hortense2000 on Sep 19, 10 6:27 PM
I love the P.I. series. Seldom play the demo but a few minutes before purchasing! Keep sending more P.I games to us fishies!!!

[Post New]by samonmaui on Sep 19, 10 9:53 PM
A hint about finding the flashlights would have been nice!

tredzwater
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

[Post New]by tredzwater on Sep 21, 10 3:55 PM
I'm delighted to see how many members of this community enjoy the old tried and true games if they are well done...as the Mystery PI games are. I also enjoy seeing how many people like to linger and enjoy good graphics instead of trying to break some sort of internal speed record.

I just finished playing a strange little game called "It's All About Masks". To be honest, I was trying to top off my Punch Card and, since I alread have all those I consider "good", this seemed like the best of the also-rans. WOW! It'a definitely a tried-and-true. Search Hidden Object scene(s), read some dialogue, play a mini-game. Repeat without rinsing.

But, it has the most knock-your-eye-out graphic screens I ever saw! They are more luxurious and more cleverly drawn than even the Puppets. I could spend many minutes just looking at them. And, the mini-games, while by no means difficult, are just so much fun. There is a jigsaw type game that was awesome in it's beauty and complexity. Even the Eastern Euro English-by-the-numbers quirks are fun.

The game is a bit jerky as to story and the detective reaches conclusions based on a wing and a prayer, since no logic seems to be involved but, like the Mystery PI games, you don't play it for the story. You play it for the OTHER great stuff.

Like others, I buy MPI without the need for a demo because I know what I'm getting, like what I'm getting and know that I'll be able to replay it many times. Much more bang for my buck.

[edit: Stupid forum engine censored my abbreviation of "Hidden Object". Sigh...I'm too old to learn new profanity.]

Edited on 09/21/2010 at 3:58:13 PM PST

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Sep 22, 10 5:45 AM
I think its a really great game, if you love straight-forward hogs. I have also purchased part 1-3 from this series, but I prefer now ihogs. Happy gaming to everyone.

bonbowl
Starfish
Starfish
59 Posts

[Post New]by bonbowl on Sep 24, 10 4:18 AM
Rose151 wrote:I am at the very end of the game and can't find the gold container. I tried moving the containers back and forth and then using the crowbar - it was - well, I moved it to a place where it disappeared. Am I supposed to get an "Action hand" to press the red button? I don't.
Any help is sincerely appreciated!

slruser
Salmon
Salmon
2,654 Posts

[Post New]by slruser on Sep 25, 10 6:07 PM
I was using this game to introduce my Mom to Hidden Object Games, and felt the Mystery PI series was a good way to start. High quality, simple, straight forward and predictable. That is what they are good at, and this game is no exception.

I am posting because I noticed a strange occurrence in this game. Since I was teaching someone the game, it was going slower than normal. We actually allowed the timer to expire on one level of the game. When we replayed the level, it presented 'peace signs' and 'keys' and 'flashlights' to find in each scene. This was after we had already found and been rewarded for finding all of these bonuses. The game also awarded additional points for these extras, so we ended up with a total point count over 16 million when we completed the game. Is this the way the game was designed, or did we stumble across a 'glitch'?

This issue certainly did not detract from the gameplay, but I'm curious if anyone else has encountered this?

merediffy
Guppy
Guppy
108 Posts

[Post New]by merediffy on Oct 5, 10 6:09 AM
govols2 wrote:I don't care if they are all the same. After playing adventure games where I have to keep looking at the walkthrough or playing an intense TM game and repeating the same level ten times just to get gold Mystery P.I. games are just perfect to help me relax. I saw this on ST games site and have been holding last months credit to get it when it came here.

I agree completely. I get really tired of having to use a walkthrough, asking myself, "what do I do next"? It gets so frustrating, and I don't want to have to buy a separate strategy guide to figure that out either. Seems like such a waste of $$.

[Post New]by MsDeeMorning on Oct 14, 10 4:59 PM
Did anybody find all the flashlights? I found all but one and can't remember which scene I didn't find it in....so I will have to start all over again. I just want to have all the points. I usually play these games twice.

iquit
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
9 Posts

Some of the items are in the dark

[Post New]by iquit on Oct 21, 10 4:25 PM
Some of the items to find are in the dark and hard to find or see.

Otherwise I like the game, it is like the other Mystery P.I. games.

Has anyone written a walk through yet?

Emmie1956
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Emmie1956 on Oct 27, 10 12:38 AM
I too love all the Mystery P.I. games but how about giving us living in flyover country something other West and East coast locales. Minneapolis, Kansas City, St. Louis, Oklahoma City would be a refreshing change. Everybody has been to LA, NYC, SF, Dallas and Vegas. We in the Midwest would like to see our cities featured in some of these games. We have so many neat locations here such as: Mall of America, 10,000- lakes, KC's Country Club Plaza and Zoo, SL's Cardinal Stadium, Arch, ethnic neighborhoods, and OKC has Murrah memorial (the McVeigh bombing site), Cowboy Hall of Fame. and of course The OU Sooners. All it it would take is a few photos to change the games as the premise is the same in all. Let's give the rest of the country and world a chance to see real America.

Thanks for listening to me rant, but if people want to take a road trip while playing games, let's get them off the coasts. Give us something we can identify with rather some dark occult stories, haunted houses, dark forests and jungles.

I would imagine a lot of your gamers are homebound and would enjoy a little travelogue occasionally.

Rita

Edited on 10/27/2010 at 12:46:25 AM PST

revbecca
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by revbecca on Nov 8, 10 4:04 PM
Somehow I missed this when it first came out, and am so glad I found it! I love the Mystery PI series, and this one is no exception. Of course, I live in the SF Bay Area, but still . . . it wouldn't matter to me. These games are fun, fairly easy but with enough of a challenge to keep my interest. I missed the "hidden" item altogether until almost half-way through, so now am having to go back each time a scene reappears and see if I can find it.

Wonder which city will be next? How about Minneapolis?

Go to: