Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Heroes of Kalevala

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Sep 21, 10 2:34 PM
I bought it, and I'm enjoying it. Nice graphics, and the little people in my villages are cute. Especially when they "find each other" and here come the little hearts, and the hand-holding. And when someone asks for a tree--or accepts a hat.

Some levels whipped me. Then I went back again and changed which hero I used and things changed.

It's a fun game. And when you're up against the crow, chains or frozen stuff, AND the tar, you'd best be on your toes!

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Sep 21, 10 3:41 PM
Donick2 wrote:
dcairns wrote:It was okay. I played the demo for the full hour but I wouldn't buy it. Not my cup of tea. I am getting antsy for a good game! When you buy the CE's and then the normal version comes out, you are left with nothing for that day. Not to mention, the games the past few weeks have been less than stellar. I have been playing old ones which I normally never do!

I agree 100 % except I would say terrible games I usually buy daily but for first time ever NOTHING worth buying for 5 days now I am off else where, 2 TM in a day & 2 match 3 in a day that is no joke can you imagine the up roar if 2 HOG or adventure in a day I have had it with BF lately unless big changes soon be BIG GOODBYE

Terrible games you usually buy daily? Huh? Also, the old saying one man's trash is another man's treasure is definitely true. I have been overjoyed with the games over the last 2 weeks or so here - it's been a nice treat

Oh, and buh-bye! Hope you find some games that make you happy -

crystalstorm
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by crystalstorm on Sep 21, 10 8:40 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed almost every aspect of this game. Straight Match 3s can get boring and monotonous but this game offers alot of variety to keep it interesting. I will agree that having more options in the villages would have been nice. I can't comment on the sound as my speakers aren't working. I understand those who want a relaxed mode but as others have pointed out the more times you try the easier it gets (I only played the demo so can't speak for the rest of the levels). Also being able to choose your hero, therefore your strategy also helps deal with the timer. I got so caught up in playing the game I didn't even know about the crow until I read about it. I put it on my "To Buy List" but that my change to the "Bought List", haven't quite decided, but the crow sure has my curiosity up! lol Should be paying more attention I guess.
I was relieved by the fact that there were NO technical issues for a change.
I thought I mostly enjoyed the various types of HOGs and Adventure games most but now I'm finding that when there's nothing new to try I play the M3s, so I guess I'll have to re-evaluate.
I also enjoy reading all of the different viewpoints in this section. I think some of it is hilarious and some annoying. I think BF should have a separate section titled something like 'Underwater Views' or 'Opinions of the Seas', as we rarely see tips or help in this section. Just a thought, I get a kick out of some of the comments.
Thanks fellow gamers for the enjoyable and informative comments.
Thanks BF for a wonderful game! I would recommend this game and give it 4.5

ajuma
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,142 Posts

[Post New]by ajuma on Sep 21, 10 10:37 PM
I just finished and it had 111 levels. It says you can keep playing if you want though!

I think the number of levels is different, depending on things like how many people you have (you get extra coins for more people) and how many coins you get on the boards with coins.

I really don't like timed games that much, but I didn't have too much trouble with this one. Sure, I had to repeat a few levels, but that wasn't a big deal.

Glad I bought it!

nixyseven
Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

[Post New]by nixyseven on Sep 22, 10 10:02 AM
I just bought this game after playing the 1 hour demo. (I don't mind a timer on Match-3 games, and feel like they're sorta pointless without it.)

I like the different villages, and find it a cute, relaxing game to play while I listen to music. (I like games where I can turn off the game sounds and just listen to my iPod.)

Although I like iHOG type games, I feel disappointed that so many of them really only give 3-4 hours of gameplay. I don't think that'll be a problem with this one, and I'm glad about that!

GaCorolla
Shark
Shark
13,397 Posts

[Post New]by GaCorolla on Sep 22, 10 12:20 PM
Like other fishes, I like some ot the features of this game: (ie being able to choose your hero at the beginning of the level), In some games the timer is a bummer and others it depends. The only game that I have thought worth the trouble of village building, people, etc. is Heroes of Hellas i and 2. Unlike crystalstorm, I don't think match 3 games are boring or monotonous. Frankly, I could use some more really good ones!! I don't like games that mix in other elements, for me they are a total turn off. I especially dislike HOG features!!! To me, most adventure games resemble time managment ones, and I only have 1 or 2. I found that I don't play them much if ever. They get old fast. I wish there were some more action games like The Walls of Jericho, and marble popper games like Zuma, Bengal, etc.

I do agree that a relaxed mode for the ones that do not have them would be nice. I don't understand why some games only offer one person players, some do not save your scores, two games I have do not use my name only owner, wonder why.

Edited on 09/29/2010 at 11:03:40 AM PST

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Sep 22, 10 12:35 PM
I am glad, that Bigfish has offered this. I don`t like normally a timer, but in this game it feels okay. Its on my buy-list

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 22, 10 9:37 PM
I loved this game after only about 45 minutes play and I'm still playing. The match 3 play is crisp, timed by an unusual graphic method (you'll have to try it to see for yourself) and the satisfying sounds are delicious. The bonus for play are the villages (4 so far) with all the scenery and people created. You can move the scenery (with sound effects) village and people. I'm new to this village thing so I have nothing to compare it to but I just love it in this game.

There are power-ups and a way to extend the time if needed. The amusing way to get more time is that you get to stun the graphic timer. If you have to repeat a level, you can pick a different "hero" to repeat the level with his power-ups in your arsenal. Some say that the second time you go back the level seems easier. I haven't found that to be true for me yet but you can use different power-ups so maybe thats the reason it seems easier..

The story portions are narrated by someone with a great voice. I wish there was more of him in the game. Each village has its own background music, I enjoyed them all.

This is sort of Heroes of Hellas2 with fishdom (fix up different villages instead of fish tanks) and keeping people happy elements. One thing: these gods act like gods in that they don't necessarily direct their power-ups where YOU want them to be directed.

Happy Gaming - my game is calling me.........

Update:
I finished the "Quest for the Magical Sampo" after hours and hours of fun play.

The game also has an "endless" mode so you can continue to play forever, apparently. There are still upgrades that I didn't use for my villages so, I'll likely play longer and and the game itself is fun.

As the final credits roll you'll clearly be able to see how they got the name of the Quest object!

Kestraka
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by Kestraka on Sep 23, 10 1:27 PM
Fun! I really like it

lisam63
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by lisam63 on Sep 25, 10 5:12 AM
i just really love it...
no much to say that hasn't been already said ...\
just would like to see more m3's like this that give you stuff to build and levels that can actually be beaten ( totally disliking the expert mode on jewel heritage)
thx to developers for a wonderful game

note. .sorry there is no relaxed option for those who seem to like that style of gameplay...hopefully enuf m3 games will listen in the future

[Post New]by susanjpullen on Sep 27, 10 6:14 AM
This is the best game I've bought for a while. Great fun... love the way you've got great sounds, relaxing music and the addition of a nice village to upgrade in between levels. Fabulous!!!

moonryu
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by moonryu on Sep 30, 10 12:56 PM
I almost didn't buy the game because of the timer too. I really don't like timers.
It would be nice if there was a way to select relax mode (no timer) and arcade mode (timer). That would make this game a lot more fun.

The only other issue I have having is that I can't seem to get garders or carperters.
The buildings and such you need to have them for come up but not the options (the odd hats mentioned) don't come up, and I checked each time I finished a level.

Do you have to have a certain number of people in the village to get those options?

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Oct 4, 10 3:47 AM
Moon, the hats appear on the far right side of your slider bar at the botton.

I'm not sure if you need a certain amount of points earned, or how that works. But they do show up! If not, and you think it's a tech problem, use the green envelope on this website's pages to contact tech support.

What's fun is to wait while the village gets busy, then toss the hat onto the ground somewhere. Someone comes along and gets it, while others may walk by. Once I had my farmer throw his hat down and take the gardener one instead.

There's a lot of cute animations here.

scrpbkr
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by scrpbkr on Oct 5, 10 6:45 PM
I was really looking forward to this game as I am a big fan of Heroes of Hellas (HOH). As with HOH, you are in an ancient land and your goal is to build items for a village (it was a city with HOH). This game allows you to actually customize your city instead of just meeting a goal to build a pre-selected building. You choose when and how many huts to build, trees to plant, etc. Then you can colonize other villages.

It is a great M3 game with beautiful graphics.

However, I really, really hated the crow. He eats away at your gems which give you time bonuses. The problem with the crow is the cawing sound that is just irritating. If it wasn't for the crow, I would seriously consider buying this one. As of right now, I finished the trial and will have to think about it for a while.

Overall it is a good-quality M3 game like HOH, but they could have made it a bit better.

firebird40
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by firebird40 on Oct 7, 10 4:08 AM
I am a big jewel quest fan, so thought I would give this one a try, and I love it! It seems easy at first, but watch out, it won't stay that way! I am on lvl 73 and it is anything but easy.

I love the timed game, but for those who don't, there isn't an option for relaxed play so that may be a negative.

The whole theme is well done, and while the graphics on the villages could be a bit better, the game runs smoothly and plays well. You do have to guess at what the symbols in the bubbles over the villagers' heads mean, which isn't very clear. The other issue I've had with it is picking the right hero for each level- this gets very important as you move along, and sometimes its not obvious.

All in all, if you love timed games, this is a winner, but definitely play the whole hour, as the first timed level is level 3 or 4, I think

Happy gaming

suzette72
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by suzette72 on Oct 13, 10 9:09 PM
I don't often review games (I just play them ) but this one really stands out as a winner.
While Match 3 is my favorite genre, I did enjoy settlement: colossus, and this has some of the same village-building elements to it.
What made this game stand out for me was the mythic spin: the Kalevala is THE epic poem of Finland (comparable to Beowulf for the Anglo-Saxons) and the mythology, place names, music, and hero names roughly correspond to authentic Finnish folklore. How cool is that?!?!
The power-ups were effective, and although I have been playing match 3s since bejeweled first darkened the internet, lol, I found some of the later levels to be challenging to complete in the time allotted.
So, if you are interested in learning about other cultures, like match 3 games, enjoy well-rendered anime style characters, authentic folk music, and Northern European folklore, you will find something to LOVE in Heroes of Kalevala!!

dianaluna
Herring
Herring
339 Posts

[Post New]by dianaluna on Oct 25, 10 1:35 PM
ajuma wrote:Sigh...I promised myself that I would NOT buy a game without trying it first.

Well, I kept the promise...sort of! I played 3 or 4 levels and really liked it. I've been itching to use a game credit (I had 3!) so I bought it.

THE VERY NEXT LEVEL was the first timed level!

Note to self: Try the game for the FULL HOUR next time!! And read the review regarding a timer!!!

Oh Ajuma--you speak for me too! I didn't realize how hard this game is on the upper levels. I'm on 54 & I'm quitting--I would love an untimed mode. I don't like the stress of this one. I did well on Coffee Rush & Restaurant Rush through all their levels, but this one is discouraging...at least it is for me.

dianaluna
Herring
Herring
339 Posts

[Post New]by dianaluna on Oct 25, 10 1:38 PM
carolinacat wrote:I played the whole demo hour and decided it's not a buy for me.

You don't start with putting your name in as a profile, so when you figure out when you can do that, you have to start over with your own chosen profile name.

There should be a relaxed mode on this and there isn't, but I understand that would take away from the "crow burning" feature.

The instructions for figuring out what people want isn't clear. You can see things over their heads that might give you a clue, but it's not always clear, and instructions to play aren't clear.

The graphics are juvenile and the gameplay is too easy for advanced players. Too easy for me.

The narrator is the same one who narrates for Drawn, so that was a pleasant surprise. I love his narration.

I would only buy this as a DD. But for those who are younger and like easier games, this is for you.

CarolinaCat,
That's what I thought--that it was easy--but you might buy it someday as a DD--the upper levels are quite challenging--for me maddening but might suit you better.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Oct 25, 10 1:51 PM
I saw this thread float up again so I thought I'd pop in.

This is just an incredibly good game. I've played it through ahem, several times now. I like experimenting with how I build the villages, and using heroes.

The music is great, the voice over is great, it's just one of the best M3 games ever.

Hint: if you're having trouble on a certain level, try doing it with a different hero. I've found Tapiola to be very very good on some things. Also the Lord of the Underworld, and the Merman. I probably use them more than any other hero.

When there is tar, focus on it first. Even if you have to briefly ignore the crow, get rid of the tar first. You can always pick the crow off to halt it later on. I've had levels where I've gotten all 8 rubies, but not many. The key thing is to get through the level, period.

When the board opens, look first at your trouble spots--tar? Chains? Need a specific tile to break a rock? Target those.

And, make sure you get a bomb by other bombs. Some bombs will clean out almost the entire board.

pinkorbit
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by pinkorbit on Oct 26, 10 8:06 PM
was feeling brave, and thought i'd give this one a try, even though it didn't have the little popular icon next to it...

boy, am i glad i did! just the right mix of match 3 and 'villaging'

Go to: