MrMotto
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

Re:Post any Columbus: Ghost of the Mystery Stone technical issues here only

[Post New]by MrMotto on Sep 28, 10 1:37 PM
I had no problem downloading, installing or activating. I played up to the time where you are to dive down in to the water after going through the cave. I had to quit. When I came back and clicked the game icon on my desktop, the game manager is n ot letting me back into the game. I have restarted my computer 3 times but keep getting the message that a game is already playing and therefore I need to shut it down before starting another one. But I have no other game running. At the present time, This game is the only one I have installed on my computer.
I purchased the game without playing the demo. The game is alright but I'd like to be able to play the rest of it.

diamondgirlva
Minnow
Minnow
283 Posts

[Post New]by diamondgirlva on Sep 28, 10 1:47 PM
I can finally get mine to work if I click on the desk top icon like someone else posted and it will load . It is only through the Game Manager that I am having the issue of it not opening and telling me it is running all the time as well..so maybe it is the game manager that is causing the problem. All my other games are running fine. By the way Love the game so far. Will probably buy after the first of the month since I have earned 3 free games this month. Hope they have this issue fixed shortly.

kittyruss
Lobster
Lobster
85 Posts

[Post New]by kittyruss on Sep 28, 10 2:38 PM
Got to play 5 or 10 min of demo kicked off said i was done i think maybe with big fish .I have 2 games i got wont play right now cant demo and i have a new comp nothing wrong with it

janspack
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by janspack on Sep 28, 10 2:59 PM
MrMotto wrote:I had no problem downloading, installing or activating. I played up to the time where you are to dive down in to the water after going through the cave. I had to quit. When I came back and clicked the game icon on my desktop, the game manager is n ot letting me back into the game. I have restarted my computer 3 times but keep getting the message that a game is already playing and therefore I need to shut it down before starting another one. But I have no other game running. At the present time, This game is the only one I have installed on my computer.
I purchased the game without playing the demo. The game is alright but I'd like to be able to play the rest of it.

As someone else posted earlier, you will need to go into task manager and then into Processes tab. Look for Columbus and then highlight it and click end process. This is the only way you can get this game to stop running once you've started it and get the message that you are already running a game.

janspack
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by janspack on Sep 28, 10 3:01 PM
I've contacted Customer Support and had a reply back which has resulted in me running Dr Felix diagnostics and sending these results back to CS.

Will let you know what they come up with. I have mentioned that there are a lot of us in the same boat - all seemingly running Win7 64bit.

[Post New]by pfarrell777 on Sep 28, 10 3:24 PM
Same problem, running XP. Black screen with game cursor and task manager says it's running, but then my whole computer locks up. Had to reboot twice then uninstalled. Very disappointed.

LaDeeDah
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by LaDeeDah on Sep 28, 10 3:27 PM
ghostguide and sadji: None of these options worked for me. I tried opening the game from all different sources. Nothing worked.

MrMotto
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by MrMotto on Sep 28, 10 3:31 PM
Thanks janspack. Ive had this problem before, and you are the only one to ever tell me how to correct it.
This last time, after writing the above post, I went back and tried going through the game manager instead of clicking the desktop icon, and it let me in. But if ever I do run into this problem again, I'll know what to do, thanks to janspack.

janspack
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by janspack on Sep 28, 10 4:10 PM
Here is the (very fast) response I've had from CS.

Thank you for that information and the Dr. Felix. It seems there is a problem with the game and we'll look into it to see what's going on. For now I'd recommend ending the game through the Task Manager and then not installing it again until you see an update on the Forums.

Hopefully we can get this resolved soon and I certainly appreciate your patience in this matter.

If you have any questions, you can contact me by replying directly to this email.

Best wishes,

David B
www.BigFishGames.com
In the office Tue-Sat

Bboo2
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by Bboo2 on Sep 28, 10 5:15 PM
So glad to hear they are looking at the problem. Mine will not open unless I close the comp down and reboot. A popup always comes up and tells me to do that before the game will start.

Poof11
Clownfish
Clownfish
503 Posts

[Post New]by Poof11 on Sep 28, 10 7:49 PM
Well, sadly I too am running win7 64 bit system. I had downloaded the game earlier today and when I tried running the game, nothing appeared. Tried the task manager...nothing....then restarted. Tried again...restart. Then deleted the game and downloaded fine. I was actually able to play my full demo hour and purchased the game. Once the game was activated, it would no longer play. Used a fellow posters advice and was able to shut down the hidden game through the processes section of the task manager. (Thank your for that info ). Tried this twice. So decided to delete the game again and redownload but still getting nothing. I don't understand how I was able to get the game to finally play the one time and now keep getting the hidden game....crazy....I'll try one more time of redownloading then I'll send a Dr Felix to CS. I do know that they are working on a fix but I'll send one just so they know to add another to the list.
From what I did get to play, I did like the game, hence the purchase. I hope we all get the chance to demo and/or play the full game.
Have a good night fishies .

Edit Update: Well I deleted, restarted my computer and reinstalled the game...Guess What? The game loaded and even though I had deleted the game 3 times it had saved my progress. As of right now, I was able to reach the beginning of Chapter 5. Time for me to catch some . I will let you know if I incur the same problem tomorrow when I try to finish my game or if it picks up where I left off. Night Night Fishies.

Edited on 09/28/2010 at 11:20:51 PM PST

birdie5
Clownfish
Clownfish
559 Posts

[Post New]by birdie5 on Sep 28, 10 8:37 PM
I have Windows 7, 64-bit and am not having any issues. However, my system prompts me to use recommended settings when it detects incompatibility. I found the .exe file and the compatibility was changed to Windows XP (Service Pack 3). I saw the following in another thread but have modified for this issue:

1) Go to 'My Computer'
2) Open your C:\ drive >Program Files
3) Then locate the game folder (Open BFG Game Manager ->click on Options on the bottom tool bar and the file path is listed under Game Directory Location.)
4) In the game folder you should see a slightly faded or washed-out icon. This is the games .exe (executable) file. If you don't see this icon enter *.exe in the Search folder section.
5) Right-Click on the .exe icon (not the Uninstall)

6) Select 'Properties' and go to the 'Compatibility' tab
- Check the box for "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
- From the drop down select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"

I hope this helps.

[Post New]by indigo_ladybug on Sep 28, 10 10:26 PM
janspack wrote:
sadji wrote:The Game didn't start on my Win 7/ 64 bit system

Same here - I also have Win 7/ 64 bit. I'm just reinstalling in the hope it will.

what they said

[Post New]by trinity37373 on Sep 28, 10 10:58 PM
even tho one or two fishies have it running on their win7 puters, the system requirements are[b] for xp or vista operating systems

If you notice all the games say the same for xp or vista operating systems and I have had no problems downloading games on Windows 7.

lottelein
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by lottelein on Sep 29, 10 12:10 AM
Add me to the growing list of Windows 7 64 bit would-be players. So frustrating!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 29, 10 2:37 AM
lottelein wrote:Add me to the growing list of Windows 7 64 bit would-be players. So frustrating!

The system requirements for this game actually state that this game is for XP/Vista OS. It doesn't say Windows 7, so that's probably why those with Windows 7 have problem - unless they have the facility that changes their OS back to XP.

BarbLeigh
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by BarbLeigh on Sep 29, 10 5:35 AM
howard322 wrote:Having same issue. Reloaded twice and rebooted each time. Comes up to a black screen that I have to use Task Mgr to close out.

At least you can use task manager to close it. I have to restart my computer to get it shut down. I uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times and still doesn't work.

[Post New]by dragonfairy5 on Sep 29, 10 7:08 AM
I don't have W7 or Vista and it still will not even come up to play. All I get is a black screen. I have Windows XP.

glb613
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by glb613 on Sep 29, 10 7:11 AM
I have Windows 7 and no problems running the game. I did have it freeze and I needed to allow the game to connect to the internet through my firewall.

If you have a game or program freeze the screen, press the Windows key + D and it will get you to the desktop. You can also right click on the task bar to get to start task manager.

shaboo58
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by shaboo58 on Sep 29, 10 8:39 AM
still waiting for cs to get back to me from September 28, 2010 04:59 AM PDT. I guess it's still not fixed.

Go to: