sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Time Mysteries: Inheritance

[Post New]by sartasia on Oct 2, 10 4:04 PM
Micha1234 wrote:
kdubs wrote:Tried part of the trial about 1:30 A.M. and came away lukewarm. After some sleep, came to read the reviews, played a bit more of the trial -- ok better. The graphics are good, so far music is era-appropriate.

One thing I really miss is voices, at least in the intro. Then once I've heard the characters, I can read the subsequent text sort of "in the characters' voices".

Anyway, it is probably a buy for me, but not until at least mid-month. Last month I went crazy and filled 3 cards, so I need to show some S-e-l-f C-o-n-t-r-o-l.

@ kdubs what do you mean self control......I managed to fill up 6 cards...... so you're not doing bad at all. Big fish had that darned sale........and I went to town....

Now I don't feel so frivilous on my 4 cards. And another sale coming up this month...
Self control on buying games is not a big virtue with me...

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Oct 2, 10 4:22 PM
Ok, now that I actually played it, It's an ok game but that's it for me. I can't say a word about the sound, had that off. I wish the graphics for the hog scenes were a bit sharper, sometimes it was really hard to find the items needed. I didn't mind the match 3 games, I play those sometimes when I'm bored. The story wasn't bad as far as I got but somehow that game is just lukewarm for me.
So no buy here.

KathyD56
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by KathyD56 on Oct 2, 10 5:08 PM
I just finished the game and really enjoyed it. It had a very interesting story and a nice mix of puzzles. I don't mind spot the difference, as long as they aren't too hard.
I did find some of the hidden objects in the "archive room," to be very hard to make out and thought they could have been a little bigger and clearer. However, the hint system was great--I enjoyed playing the Match 3 games to recharge the hints. This was a fairly easy game, and I only had to look at the walkthrough once or twice.
I wish the game was a bit longer, it took me 3 hours, 45 minutes from start to finish. I probably should have waited to purchase it until I got my punchcard credits from last month, but willpower isn't my strong suit! LOL! Anyway, it was a fun way to spend a Saturday afternoon and evening.

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Oct 2, 10 5:25 PM
After reading the reviews this morning I decided to trial the game. I must say that I really got caught up in it and just had to buy it. The graphics were very good, the music was subtle and the dialog (which I hate in any game) was short, to the point and moved the story right along. I really enjoyed earning my hints rather than tapping my fingers waiting for them to reload. Hope to see more of that in the future. I don't mind the find the difference games, they were short and not too difficult. I do agree with those that had problems in the gallery... the images were very small and fuzzy and I found that frustrating. I'm a HUGE IHOG and HOG fan and hope there are some great games on the horizon. I'm running out of games to buy!!

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on Oct 2, 10 5:29 PM
Not jumping up and down over this one. Seemed kinda 'old'. I don't like Spot the Diff or M3 so that was a real turn off. The story was good, the music was very annoying as was that weird sound when you overclick so I turned music off. I got to chapter 4 in the hour demo so won't be a buy for me. Maybe as a DD if I get really desperate.

snailysue
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by snailysue on Oct 2, 10 6:11 PM
It seems a good game but I'm finding the thing that might stop me buying it, is the brightness and vagueness of the seek and find parts

It hurts my eyes to do the searches.

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Oct 2, 10 7:40 PM
sartasia wrote:I have only played the demo.
This game is an light interpretation of an IHOG. Although the retained items are used immediately.
Loaded and ran just fine.
Filled my 22 inch screen.
Separate options for sound and effects.
No problem with cursor.
You can skip or advance the graphic story as you see fit.

[Much snippage to save space]

After all is said and done I'll buy this game. It's relaxing and entertaining enough to while away a chilly afternoon.

Very nice review sartasia!

Thank you,

Angel

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Oct 2, 10 8:21 PM
Time Mysteries: Inheritance (Adventure/IHOG-lite)

I went to Settings first, and found a separate music and sound slider, plus an option for full-screen, custom cursor, expert mode and tutorial. You also have a regular mode and expert mode to choose from when you first start the game, so it looks like you can switch back and forth between the two during gameplay (good option to have!)

There are no voice-overs and cut scenes are skippable.

You start out with 4 HINTS and the gauge will refill in 5 seconds. If you run out of hints, you play a mini-game to get more. The mini-game is basically a match-3 game, and it's not hard. Even so, you can get hints on moves to make in the mini-game. You can earn up to 4 hints at a time.

5 mis-clicks will get you a slight penalty, but it is very short and doesn't really interrupt gameplay.

Items to find during the hidden object scenes are found via list. The artwork actually has a different "feeling" during gameplay than I thought it would (based on the screenshots on the download page). I actually like it better than I thought I would. Objects are nicely placed (ie. no items in bizarre places) and since you are hopping about in time, they paid some attention to making sure items are era-appropriate.

Overall, an interesting game with adventure gameplay that is interspersed with hidden object scenes and mini-games (besides the gain-a-hint mini-games). There is light interaction with the items that you find with to-ing and fro-ing in limited areas.

NOTE: I have only played 30 minutes of the demo so far, but will continue tomorrow. If there is more to add, I will edit this post

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Oct 2, 10 9:13 PM
genkicoll,
That was a great review and I couldn't agree with you more.
It is an interesting game, and one that I enjoyed playing because the challenge was just right for me. It will probably go on my buy list for this month.

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Oct 2, 10 9:17 PM
_Angel_angel wrote:

Very nice review sartasia!

Thank you,

Angel

You're welcome Angel. Very kind of you to mention it. Happy gaming!

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Oct 3, 10 1:48 AM
Not often I say this. But I really do not like this game. Cannot quite put my finger on it. The HOG scenes in the archives are too white in colour, I do not like STD games albeit there are only 7 to find. I am sure that I did a beta of this back in June? I see that a lot of you are, enjoying it. Here is a question for anyone who wants to answer. I, like many of you have literally hundreds of games with BFG. Tried looking for one to replay. What is your fav to replay?

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 3, 10 2:08 AM
Hmmm... the games I like to replay may not necessarily be the games you like to replay, Peglegann. I like to replay:
Azada: Ancient Magic
Dark Tales: EAP's Murders in the Rue Morgue
Deadtime Stories
Faded Reality
Fiction Fixers - Adventures in Wonderland
Flux Family Secrets - The Rabbit Hole
Love & Death - Bitten
Love Chronicles: The Spell
Midnight Mysteries: Salem Witch Trials
Mystic Diary: Haunted Island
Nick Chase games
Pathfinders: Lost at Sea
Rdemption Cemetery: Curse of the Raven
Robin's Quest: A Legend Born
Samantha Swift: Mystery From Atlantis
Shaolin Mystery: tale of the Jade Dragon Staff
Snark Busters: Welcome to the Club
The Great Gatsby

to name but a few.

I am also not very excited about this game. I particularly don't like the graphics in the archives room at the museum. Gameplay was OK, but got quickly boring. Loved the idea that I had to play a Match-3 game to get more hints. But it's not a buy for me.

[Post New]by missangel1981 on Oct 3, 10 2:46 AM
i love this game untill 15 cent painting cant find the last pear any help

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Oct 3, 10 2:54 AM
Valdy wrote:Hmmm... the games I like to replay may not necessarily be the games you like to replay, Peglegann. I like to replay:
Azada: Ancient Magic
Dark Tales: EAP's Murders in the Rue Morgue
Deadtime Stories
Faded Reality
Fiction Fixers - Adventures in Wonderland
Flux Family Secrets - The Rabbit Hole
Love & Death - Bitten
Love Chronicles: The Spell
Midnight Mysteries: Salem Witch Trials
Mystic Diary: Haunted Island
Nick Chase games
Pathfinders: Lost at Sea
Rdemption Cemetery: Curse of the Raven
Robin's Quest: A Legend Born
Samantha Swift: Mystery From Atlantis
Shaolin Mystery: tale of the Jade Dragon Staff
Snark Busters: Welcome to the Club
The Great Gatsby

to name but a few.

I am also not very excited about this game. I particularly don't like the graphics in the archives room at the museum. Gameplay was OK, but got quickly boring. Loved the idea that I had to play a Match-3 game to get more hints. But it's not a buy for me.
Great suggestions. am downloding a couple as I type. Thank you.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Oct 3, 10 2:58 AM
missangel1981 wrote:i love this game untill 15 cent painting cant find the last pear any help
Can I suggest that you look at the thread on this. I did not get that far btu apparently a lot of people are having the same problem

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Oct 3, 10 3:16 AM
Valdy, decided on the Nick Chase ones. Thanks for your help Sunday is now a lost day! LOL. Happy gaming

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Oct 3, 10 4:51 AM
At first glance, I thought this game could be a "take-it-or-leave-it" one, but as I got further along, it became a "keeper." The premise is good, the scripting is somewhat humorous and well done (no voice-acting though), graphics are really good, sound effects are fitting, and the background music fits the settings nicely (but tone down the volume). When I rely on hints, I personally like the unlimited, recharging type--in this game, you'll start with 4--use them up and you'll have to play a Match-3 game to replenish (and that M3 game is timed, so "hurry up" or you might come away with only 1 or 2 hints instead of the desired 4). That said, the hidden-object scenes don't seem too tough, so hints may not be too necessary. Also, if you don't mind "Spot The Difference" puzzles, this will be appealing. I'll give this one 4 stars.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Oct 3, 10 5:08 AM
I have on my blinders so I don't see any new game I want to buy for now. At least til I finish this ridiculous stockpile from all the sales and freebies. Then a friend who usually likes long adventure type dark mysteries email me how much she enjoyed this game and finished it, out looking for one similar. Oh Oh. I took a look at the screenshots and liked what I saw, lots of color, no darks, original looking graphics, and the video. So why not spend one more hour at least on a demo.

I enjoyed it but before hitting buy I came and saw the missing pear problem. There have been other games with fixes later for that, or dropped inventory. So, now pending news of a fix if pears are indeed missing, there it goes on my long wish list, patience. I'd like one easy enough fun, different game I can sit and play from start to the end with no interruptions. If I get held up or interrupted with "life" they get "cold" lose that energy of enthusiasm, hard to explain. And I got free coupons to spend.

Had made up my mind to continue and finish Columbus last night, then a tech problem when it kept running even after exit. Long tech thread on that issue, so was really in the mood for this fresh new game right up my alley

I was playing on just a 15" flat panel and it was crisp and clear. Buttons on the side of monitor makes it real easy to tone brightness up or down, and contrast. Not sure what "too much white" is on a post. I've wished for a bigger monitor so I can play more games with miniscule objects I don't buy. Now I'm wondering if bigger monitor settings just stretch scenes to grainy or blurry. So many games are so delightfully colorful and clear to me I see called blurry. Is this correct to go by? better quality pics on a non-widescreen regular1024x768 res? They sure look better than on my 15.6 widescreen laptop which reduces them to fit top to bottom and blank borders filling in the size. They are smaller than on my regular 15". Don't want to trade tiny for blurry or grainy, pixelated. Sorry, OT here, but I found objects easy to find but challenging enough to enjoy the designer's style, creative.

I never figured out how to find the m3 for more hints, do you have to run out before it comes on? I was down to 3 hints and just wanted to test it, sounds fun to do and I may use more, just afraid on a timed demo I'd run out of hints too soon.

Happy to see some of y ou found a game of your choice and style

Edited on 10/03/2010 at 5:14:05 AM PST

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Oct 3, 10 5:23 AM
Just to add I normally avoid find the differences if more than a few. I'm really good at spotting them, an artist's eye maybe, and fun. BUT the eyestrain comes from shifting eyeballs back and forth back and forth and not comfortable, have to stop before my eyes may cross, things get blurry then. There are a few FTD that are above and below, I think some Sherlock Holmes, I find those much easier on the eyes and would like to see more of those. I don't like the double arrows where one is covering up things on one side, that is more tedious. But given how interesting the graphics are in this and the change of periods I think I can put up with 7 of them or just skip. If you lose hints fine, I like m3s. My fav minis are always jigsaws, putting together maps or letters with out of the ordinary shape pieces. Didn't see any in this on walkthrough as far as I looked.

I'm just so weary of dark gruesome stories set in depressing places. I could just go back and replay Crusoe2 Cursed Pirates again and again for some laughs.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Oct 3, 10 5:25 AM
Hey puzzledone--yep, use your 4 hints, then notice "recharge hints," click there to go to a Match-3 game to earn up to 4 more hints. Good luck.

Go to: