ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Renovate & Relocate: Boston

[Post New]by ember89 on Oct 9, 10 10:13 PM
regardless of where i am in the world, boston is always the home in my heart... so i was excited to see R&R:Boston on the docket...

but i just wasn't feeling the overwhelming urge to buy this game... i can forgive grammatical errors and poor spelling and misdirection of just about any kind as long as i can plow through the game okay... but where was the city??

if you ask me, the game should have led off with a brownstone in back bay or an artist's loft near central square... show us some real landmarks to draw us in, then give us something meatier to keep us going...

this game had real promise, and could have been a real winner... i'm not saying that i don't like it, but i don't feel the urge to add it to my collection - not when i can play other decorating games, and other hidden object games, that i already own...

i'm interested to find out, though, just how long the purchased game is... i know there's the penthouse, then grandma's house... then it looks like there's another place where a man wants you to redecorate his family space - ???

i'll keep an eye out for any posts from buyers... i'm thinking this may be a DD for me!

[Post New]by missillusioned on Oct 9, 10 10:43 PM
Really really wanted to like this game but I coulnd't get into it.
It seemed to be 2-3 **** scenes then you go to a room and you decorate the interior.
I found the **** scenes quite easy and I dunno there just seemed something off about them.
The decorating was unfortunately really boring. You jsut had to select an option you wanted. From what I played there wasn't any challenge.

I would have liked to have scene the decorating scenes turned into mini games. Like you actually had to paint a wall or assemble furniture.

Not terrible but jsut didn't hold my attention

[Post New]by cheek_peas on Oct 9, 10 11:12 PM
Apart from the previously mentioned spelling errors, I'd like to draw attention to the use of swear words. "Got the buggers" after removing the termites.
In many countries this is an extremely offensive word and certainly not acceptable in a game which may be played by children.
It is for this reason (more than the others) that I will NOT be buying the game.

brooklynblonde
Guppy
Guppy
175 Posts

[Post New]by brooklynblonde on Oct 10, 10 1:19 AM
Thanks goofyduck, for a really great review I'm passing on this one

eddyatwork
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by eddyatwork on Oct 10, 10 3:56 AM
General recommendation: A very weak suggestion to use this for a daily deal if you have nothing better to spend a couple bucks on. I wouldn't spend the 7 bucks to fill a punch card on this.

Graphics: I liked the character drawings the most. The general atmosphere was very bright and easy to see. The big drawback to the graphics were the hidden object scenes where I actually ignored the list of objects to find and just clicked on the objects that look like they were placed afterward. Play the game and you'll understand what I mean. In the cases where I did that I was easily able to pick out the vast majority of the objects without using the list at all.

Sound: It's unusual for me to completely trash an aspect of the game but this is one time where I must do so. The music was grating to say the least and did nothing to enhance the mood. The game sounds were nothing great. The voices were very flat and unemotional. The voiceovers also sounded like they were performed in a standard room using a cheap microphone with uncorrected feedback echoing. Not impressive by any standards.

Gameplay: There is an overclicking penalty that is somewhat annoying where it locks up the cursor and tick tocks at you. The hints renew at an acceptable rate. They don't come too slowly to frustrate you, but they don't come fast enough to encourage just taking the hints to play. As noted earlier, you probably won't need too many hints because of the lack of challenge in finding the objects.

General comments: I normally love decorating games, especially where you have a choice of decorating options but the options given were not exactly appealing. I am also wondering why in the world I have to clean up after the contractor who should be doing his job to begin with considering what they charge.

Overall, this game is disappointing.

JessF
Clownfish
Clownfish
773 Posts

[Post New]by JessF on Oct 10, 10 4:47 AM
Poutoule wrote:To start with I hate the idea of this game. Graphics are cold, with no personality. Enough of these boring games released lately. Where am I going to spend my 3 punch card credits ???????? Certainly not on this one. Plain bore.

I am in the same situation. October is 1/3 over and I have not found anything to buy.
I suspect when something good does show up it will be a CE and will not help me use my credits.

I think the punch card credits are only good for 2 months. Hopefully 3 good games will appear by Thanksgiving. This is the longest dry spell I have experienced in 3 years.

[Post New]by flutterbyz24 on Oct 10, 10 4:55 AM
So many here had the same thoughts about this game - just too boring. I am one that tends to play games with no sound on at all. So no matter what the soundtrack is that is not a make or break decision for me.

I found it funny that I didn't even notice the spelling errors. I wasn't paying that close of attention to the game - which tells me I really was bored!

I won't be purchasing the game - that's for sure. Luckily for me the Dark Tales......Black Cat finally came out as a regular game. I've been waiting for that!

manndiee
Stingray
Stingray
5,395 Posts

[Post New]by manndiee on Oct 10, 10 7:07 AM
I have pretty decent eye sight, but playing this game, I felt like I needed glasses. The objects to find were too small. Liked a lot of the game itself, just not the HOG part.

euphoria
Herring
Herring
386 Posts

[Post New]by euphoria on Oct 10, 10 8:51 AM
scrapping_nancy wrote: Alot of spelling errors, this is a big pet peeve of mine. How can we teach young people to spell if adults creating the games are illiterate?? A no buy for me!!!

I agree! And I will gently add that "a lot" is two separate words. Didn't want to pass up an opportunity to educate.

[Post New]by lpapak on Oct 10, 10 9:07 AM
Many spelling errors, no mini games, boring, boring game. Super short. Major rip off.

[Post New]by GrandmaSloan on Oct 10, 10 10:40 AM
I want to thank all of you who take the time to right reviews and comments for the games! I have not played the demo for this game, and I am pretty sure that I won't. If there is a mix of "I like it" and "I don't like it"...I will usually check a game out. That isn't the case here.
This game for me is a no buy...no play...
Thanks again for making things ever so much easier for me and other gamers!

[Post New]by Puffinpower on Oct 10, 10 11:20 AM
Only played about 15 minutes of the demo before I decided this wasn't for me.

What struck me right off the bat was that the voice acting was terrible. Really, really painful. And the music was cheesy. I had to turn the music off and skip past all the verbal interludes to make this even bearable.

The HOG scenes are meh. The only challenge comes from some items being ridiculously small. But they aren't particularly well hidden other than that and they aren't particularly well rendered. In fact, many of the items look like free clip art from the web.

There doesn't appear to be any mini-games punctuating the HOG scenes, although to be fair, I only played 15 minutes. What you do get are interior design scenes where you can choose new paint, floors, furnishings, etc. for a room. That can be fun when it's a situation where you need to earn points/money to spend on decorating or when you have certain decorating standards you need to try to meet to get a good score. But these decorating scenes really just seem to be your little scooby snack for having finished the HOG scene. You just pick from among three choices and no matter what you pick, the game says, "Oh, wow, that looks great!"

What's really ridiculous is that this is a large file game and yet there is so little to it. The graphics are only so-so and there aren't any movies or a lot of action or anything.

Edited on 10/10/2010 at 11:21:11 AM PST

lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

[Post New]by lilyr on Oct 10, 10 1:20 PM
Where are all these HOG/design games coming from? I'm not big on decorating in games or real life. I loved the Yard Sale games for their quirkly characters. I was very relieved that the second downplayed the decorating.

Unless a game of this sort has something outstanding to reccomend it, it won't be a buy for me.

Sorry to be a bit off topic.

sandyca
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
450 Posts

[Post New]by sandyca on Oct 10, 10 1:23 PM
I agree, it is a large file and not a whole lot to the game, and the game lasted about 2-3 hours for me, I stopped once and didn't time it but I would say about 2-3.

I did like this game however, I loved being able to redo the rooms although I didn't like some of the choices given, but I thought it was pretty great to redecorate.

Yes, there are spelling errors but I can get beyond that, yes, some small objects that I got beyond as well. Easy game but again, it was fun to redecorate, wish it would have been longer though.

It's funny, the gal reminded me of Diane Lane, and there was one client in the story that reminded me of Kate Hudson.

Leemo
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by Leemo on Oct 10, 10 2:48 PM
Loved the game, despite all the spelling errors. Enjoyed clearing an area, deciding on walls and flooring types then adding different ranges of furniture. A very enjoyable 4 - 5 hours play with no tech issues for 64 bit - Win 7.

[Post New]by Linda_in_Aussie on Oct 10, 10 5:29 PM
Thank you to all you wonderful fishies out there for taking the time to review this. Thanks for confirming my thoughts.

I don't think I'll bother trying it either. And seems I'm not alone that I have credits too with nothing to use them on at this time.

Kaliarii
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by Kaliarii on Oct 10, 10 10:39 PM
For me, I was quite excited about this one - the concept has huge potential. Sadly, however, this one fell way short of expectations. Riddled with excessive typos, pretty poor-quality voice acting, and music that had me getting sleepy, Renovate & Relocate won't be a purchase for me, I'm afraid.

Personally, however, I think the area the developers really shot themselves in the foot was in the game play. They designed this game to only appeal to traditional HOG fans. The "renovation" part is so sparse as to be virtually nonexistent, and there isn't anything else to attract fans of other genres - not even mini-games to break up the monotony of straight HOG style scenes.

Unfortunately, R&R falls into a case of good concept, exceptionally poor execution. Back to the drawing board.

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Oct 10, 10 11:20 PM
Very disappointing. The voice over is annoying, but that's OK it can be muted. The objects are to small to find, the choice in decorating isn't much, and it takes so long to load between scenes.
I wouldn't buy this game even if it becames a $2.99 DD. Because the objects are so small and hard to find, I became bored with the game. The "hints" doesn't regenerate quickly enough.

[Post New]by generousgem3 on Oct 10, 10 11:55 PM
12george wrote:I just bought this game and i really like it..If you don't like the sound turn it off or leave it on low....Too me it is a relaxing game ....I personally would like more games likes this one....This senior likes it.....Not everyone likes the same things...

I actually enjoyed this game but I too feel like it was a waste of money... I played the 'trial' & finished it with almost 20 minutes left to spare... Used my game-code from last month to get the full version (315.70mb) figuring it would have numerous more 'jobs' at that size but I finished the FULL version in roughly another hour? I turned the music off - always do ... lol - and there was really no time management involved: mainly multiple choice & hidden objects. I would really like to see something like this in the future but there should be more than 5 or 6 'jobs' in the complete game: maybe 15-20? I mean it's one of the really large game files & you only get a few different 'sets'?
I shoulda waited till Gamehouse got it & just played it then... I coulda played the whole game in one sitting & saved my game-code...

*goes back to her little corner of the pool...*

Edited on 10/10/2010 at 11:58:36 PM PST

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Oct 11, 10 11:27 AM
The graphics are okay. The gameplay for the HOG is easy, and the decorating is even easier. If you like decorating, this isn't that fun. It's rather dull. There is no challenge.

This game is a C.

Go to: