Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Secret Diaries: Florence Ashford

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 16, 10 1:34 AM
goofyduck77 wrote:The graphics were so-so. I wonder who so may dev's use a white filmy look to represent light coming into the room. Doesn't add anything to the scene, makes it harder to see things and is not needed if you have crisp, clean and bright graphics.

I agree. I don't like those 'sunbeams' that flood a forest or underwater scene at the best of times, but here it was even worse.

I also found that the whole game was just one big tutorial, telling me with each step what I had to do next, and pointing at objects I had to pick up.

Also, why on Earth was there a SKIP button with each close-up that showed a magnifying glass?
I had to put a letter onto a table - there was a SKIP button for that.
I had to pick up some keys from the table - there was a SKIP button for that.

And it continues. Those weren't puzzles/mini games, you just had to do a simple action. So I don't know what would have happened if I had clicked that SKIP button. LOL
Oh... and the music continued even after I turned it down.

This is definitely a no-buy for me.

Carolest
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by Carolest on Oct 16, 10 2:00 AM
I'm not really into romance and pretty games, I play dark, spooky games mostly, but I have to admit that I found this one very cute. It was a nice relaxing game that I could take my time with, and I got hooked with the story.
Anyway, I liked it, the HOGs weren't terribly difficult, the objects that needed to be found were indicated, the music was nice...not distracting at all, or annoying.
Overall, reading the other comments, I probably wont buy this game due to the length of the game. I like to feel that I'm getting a good deal for my money/credit.
It's a shame too, I quite liked it for something different for a change.

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Oct 16, 10 5:11 AM
LOL Yosemite!!! Hope you had a good supply of napkins or towels nearby. Reading your comment made me spit all over myself

Thanks for starting my day with a good chuckle xxx

Edited on 10/16/2010 at 5:23:52 AM PST

BigTfromAV
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by BigTfromAV on Oct 16, 10 6:18 AM
Sorry. Not challenging enough. Really easy - too many hints on the "easy" level to even make it a game. Won't buy.

SMQMC
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by SMQMC on Oct 16, 10 8:48 AM
shadowfax44 wrote:
SMQMC wrote:Well, Goofyduck, I've zeroed in on your comments as being ones I'll tend to follow. Although I don't always agree, and sometimes ignore, your opinions, I find them quite helpful because you seem to be intelligent and erudite with a command of the English language, but most of all you punctuate correctly (well about 95% of the time anyway)!!

ROFL... Goofyduck is, no doubt, speechless over that compliment!

(Edited for punctuation... oops.)

Please shadowfax, no ROLFing allowed on the reviews!

[Post New]by 50plusgamer on Oct 16, 10 11:53 AM
Nice game but a bit short I would have appreciated a few more scenes especially since the garden had a locked gate and I thought I might get to go there.

lentenrose
Minnow
Minnow
286 Posts

[Post New]by lentenrose on Oct 16, 10 4:47 PM
I found this program to be awkward. Movement was not smooth within a scene. If you were interrupted the game would pickup a bit behind where I left off. I hope I never have to eat in a dining room with that color green on the walls.
Actually was an alright HOG but I have a backlog of unplayed games so I'll pass on this one.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Oct 16, 10 5:38 PM
Way, way to short! Okay I realize the game only cost $6.99, but really, this took me only two hours to play, if that. I had to do some other things today, but was too easy and too short.

[Post New]by special7 on Oct 17, 10 9:01 AM
After Anthony reclaims his fortune and the couple gets married, one can get a paperboat in the bedroom. Where does the paperboat go? People who know and the game creator(s) please inform.

Also, am I supposed to be able to enter the garden at the end of the game despite the lock being rusted?

Thanks for your help.

[Post New]by pylgrym on Oct 17, 10 12:42 PM
It's not a buy but I enjoyed the graphics and story line. I am a novice so always play relaxed and easy but on this one, I felt like they were doing a walkthrough for a precocious six year old. It even had the feel of a child's picture book. Poster is right that it is Georgian although most of Georgette Heyer was Regency. Suffice it to say-not Victorian. I thought the whole making sealing wax idea was hilarious. What no servants? And you have to get your own feathers? Woodpecker!! I apologize if this is considered a spoiler. The game also moved around way too much. This girl could have aced the Boston Marathon. I'd rather stay in one place and hunt for items in a complex HOG. Would play it free but don't know that I would even spend $2.99. It doesn't have complex enough HOGs to pass a mindless hour which would make it a one timer in my lexicon.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Oct 18, 10 6:53 AM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz totally bored...lasted 10 minutes and that music....put me to sleep.

sea_maid
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by sea_maid on Oct 18, 10 7:28 AM
Definitely a no buy for me. I played the demo, but really, where do I start? The graphics seemed kind of weird, as if they were done on two different programs. Some of the objects in the background seemed high-quality,but the rest seemed as if it needed a finishing touch, so to speak. The characters looked very "cartoonish" and seem as though they were from a different game. The storyline I won't comment about, since it's very simple, you either like romance games or you don't, although I found this one to be really "cheesy". But the music...Although most of it was very blah, I have to say, the background music that played during the Hidden Object scenes was about the most annoying I have ever heard for a game, either casual or otherwise. Really wanted to turn it off, although I didn't mind the other music.

Overall, a decent effort, but way too over the place for a good game.

[Post New]by raydyn on Oct 18, 10 1:27 PM
I can not figure out the seal I have the red candle and it says to go to the dining area to get the actual seal but can not find it at all, any help would be great.

burningswan
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by burningswan on Oct 20, 10 5:49 AM
IHOG adventure game with a Victorian romance theme. I played in normal mode for the full hour. I find this game very uneven in gameplay. It either takes you by the hand and takes you to where you can find objects without so much as a second to look on your own..or..you are left clueless. The hints refill in around 1 minute. The story has charm and the dialogue, though not skippable, can be clicked through quickly. This game is packed with minigames of all types and levels, puzzles, sliders, mazes. all are skippable after several minutes. They are do-able without insulting your intelligence. The game loaded and ran without a glitch. The graphics are beautiful. The HOG element is easy, not junkpile but not realy hidden either. Music is an annoying loop. I enjoyed my hour so will keep this in mind for purchase.

[Post New]by lmgibby on Oct 20, 10 9:47 AM
I found this game to be VERY BORING and SLOW rather cumbersome to play. I love most big fish games, but this one is disappointing won't be buy it. Hey when do I get my Felix the fish????

Dianneamyte
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Dianneamyte on Oct 20, 10 9:15 PM
I enjoyed this game. Although it is relatively easy, it still has enough twists and turns to keep it interesting. I try to stay from games that have a lot of HOGs as I prefer more adventure and/or RPGs.. Anyway, I do not agree with most of the criticisms that I saw posted. I was entertained, which for me, is the whole reason to buy a game.

paula1258
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by paula1258 on Oct 22, 10 2:48 AM
[b] Iloved this game but rather disapoited ut seems to be too short i wonder if tere will be a collectors edition for this game It did'nt seem to be complcated i used both modes i'm playing it again

cyndrap
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by cyndrap on Oct 25, 10 6:36 PM
VolleymomDee wrote:I played this game in regular mode, which was pretty easy.

The graphics are relatively clear, and the colors and room scenes in a Victorian mansion are pretty and pleasing to the eye.

There are not many hidden object scenes - more looking for items to solve puzzles, mini-games, and solving the game's overall task. I do not care for slider puzzles, but a rope puzzle and piano puzzle were entertaining.

The romantic plot is a bit different, and I was intrigued enough to want to know the ending, which was a nice change of pace.

The game, however, was extremely short, even at $6.99. If the game were longer, more hidden object scenes were added, and more rooms were added to the mansion or the estate (a stable, a fruit grove, a garden, servants' quarters, etc.), the developers might have something.

I enjoyed playing, but didn't feel I had gotten my money's worth.

I too found the graphics to be very good, game played smooth, not many hidden objects
the "plinky music" became irritating after about 15 minutes
I found the game to be very easy

So if one is just starting outplaying this type of game [HOG] they would find this to be a good buy
I have to agree with many of the others posts
not long, too easy, and not a buy for me

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Oct 29, 10 10:16 PM
I thought the game was decent - purchased it tonight. It's got very pretty graphics, is definitely a girly girl's game. Takes place in (I would imagine) the early 1900's in what appears to be the Edwardian era. The main character is is planning on marrying a man she has never met, that she is sure will benefit her family and relieve their debts. She travels to his mansion to meet him and finds that all is not as it seems.

The story is fairly predictable, the music is simplistic but gets annoying fairly quick as it is a short loop that replays. Thankfully the music changes depending on where you are in the game. The scenes are quite lovely, the mansion is very beautiful. You get to do a lot of period things such as creating sealing wax or gussying yourself up with antique hair jewels, dressing antique dolls, etc. As I said, this is a girly girl's game... which definitely was something I enjoyed. What a nice change from all the gloom & doom of most of the games nowadays.

One thing I didn't care for in the game is that in "normal" mode, every single answer is given to you instantly. I deleted my profile, restarted choosing "expert" mode, which gives you a little more leeway, but even then there are very blunt hints along the top of the screen. This game is not very challenging because of that.

The hidden object scenes of which there are not all that many alternate between very obvious items and very well camouflaged items.

This would be a good game to play if you are looking for a romantic or girlish type of game, if you enjoy this time period or if you just want the eye candy of the beautiful scenes. If you are a die-hard adventure gamer looking for challenge and excitement, you'll probably want to pass this one by.

I'd rate this game 3 stars.

SavemeJack
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by SavemeJack on Nov 3, 10 3:54 AM
Definitely an Adventure/hog game, but a little too easy for my tastes (every where you need to go is told to you, and it's hand holding throughout) I did play on the easy mode, but then changed and there wasn't much difference. The hints are plentiful, the graphics are nice, but I don't like the sunlight with speckles of light shining everywhere inside. It makes it foggy looking and harder to see things in those areas.

The music was, as said, awful, so muted that. The game played flawlessly with no glitches that I could find.

The plot was interesting, and got more so as the story went along.

But between being way too easy and not challenging in the least, and that romantic air to it that I just plain don't like - give me a creepy dead guy over that anyday - it was a no buy for me.

For those that enjoy this type of game, even for those new to hogs with a little adventure, what a perfect first game to try out!

Go to: