Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mysteries of Magic Island

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 17, 10 10:51 AM
I am not really sure what to think about this game.
The graphics were OK, but could have been better.
The sounds were OK but again, could have been better.
The gameplay was OK too...
I didn't really care that the map was 'look only', because there was a lot of forth and back running. And moving from one place to another was a little sticky - not very flowing.

All in all, a nice HOG, but I don't think it's for me.

 

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mysteries of Magic Island

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Oct 17, 10 1:59 PM
I have to agree with Jess F. I just finished the game and it was much longer and enjoyable than I expected. I loved all the puzzles but they could have used some instructions. I also think the notebook should have stayed up when we needed it for a puzzle. I had to copy a lot of stuff to paper before I could accomplish some of them. I don't really mind the running back and forth. The way was clear and it makes the game a little longer. All in all it was a fun game and I'm not sorry I bought it.

 
A1psyko
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mysteries of Magic Island

[Post New]by A1psyko on Oct 17, 10 4:17 PM
I enjoyed the game but found a couple areas that need help. First is the sand where the fire is, screen flickers really bad. Also where you have to find all the feathers. Then, and this is really frustrating, if you put oil in the second lamp in the catacombs before you light the first one and don't do the lamps in a specific order your game is over. You can't get back and can't undo it. On one forum page we were told to start the game over under a different name. Here I am at the end of the game and have to start over? I see this as a glitch that needs fixed. I agree with several other comments on here that Big Fish is getting to be unreliable with game glitches and not proofing them first. Getting to be disappointing. Also, quality of games and game selection is not like it used to be. Ravenhurst, Dream Chronicles, etc were good games. Can't get games like that now, I have 2 credits I will probably lose before I find a game worth buying.

 
Thaletta
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mysteries of Magic Island

[Post New]by Thaletta on Oct 17, 10 4:30 PM
The Graphics are beautiful, I didnt even mind the background music. I love the HOG and the mini games are great. I like the fact that you can select items more than 3 times and not get punished or dizzy. Backwards and forwards, to me, makes for a bit of an adventure game. I love the map, telling where you are, what you have done and what you have yet to do, it's excellent! The Book is excellent if you think to are lost.Will definetly buy this game.

 
GrammaKj
Clownfish
Clownfish
541 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mysteries of Magic Island

[Post New]by GrammaKj on Oct 18, 10 12:40 AM
Valdy wrote:I am not really sure what to think about this game.
The graphics were OK, but could have been better.
The sounds were OK but again, could have been better.
The gameplay was OK too...
I didn't really care that the map was 'look only', because there was a lot of forth and back running. And moving from one place to another was a. little sticky - not very flowing.

All in all, a nice HOG, but I don't think it's for me.


Ditto this post! I tried it the night it came out for about 15-20 minutes and just played some more. It's just "ok", nothing spectacular IMO. I'm not into potions and such. I realize it adds a different dimention to the game but I don't care for it. The game is kind of hodge-podge or disorganized to me. I don't care for the back and forth play of the game either. Just deleted it...NO BUY for me.

 
BigTfromAV
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mysteries of Magic Island

[Post New]by BigTfromAV on Oct 18, 10 5:26 AM
This is really a fun and sometimes challenging game. I just wish it were longer. I got quite far in my 1 hour trial. Not sure if I'll buy or not but really encourage this developer to keep doing what they're doing.

 
Ongoldenpond
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mysteries of Magic Island

[Post New]by Ongoldenpond on Oct 18, 10 5:42 AM
This was a definite "NO BUY" for me. Although I did appreciate the developers trying to do something a little different with the hidden object scenes, they were so tiny and obscure I soon lost interest. When I start hitting the hint button, just to get on to the next scene, I know it's not a game for me.

Very little to recommend this game. Graphics were below average, annoying and very tiny hidden objects and overall, a below average game. Compared to some really good hidden object/puzzle/adventures games available - this one just seemed old fashioned, not very interesting and not up to my standards for a buy.

 
gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

Re:Review and Comments

[Post New]by gailweis on Oct 18, 10 11:44 AM
hannah57 wrote:I'm up to my ears with these HOGs. Can't these developers come up with a game without hidden objects? I don't mind once-in-awhile playing a HOG but this is getting crazy. I demoed this game and I quit half way through because I simply lost interest. Please, please, make more games without hidden objects in them. I'm all but ready to toss my cookies I'm so sick of it. The graphics were good but that's about it.


Hannah57 - Please contact Customer Service re your complaint. This forum is for "Comments and Reviews for Mysteries of Magic Island."

That being said, I like this game, however, I wish there was a penalty for clicking too many times - makes it a lot more challenging. The objects are not too easy, not too hard to find. But, since at my age I find I have problems with short term memory loss, I get crazy trying to get back to a scene to use my inventory - I don't remember where it is!! So I'm just wandering around, hoping against hope that I'll find where I need to be. That's not a complaint - I really am enjoying this game. As a matter of fact, just used a credit to buy it. Enjoy!

 
dewieee
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

Re:Review and Comments

[Post New]by dewieee on Oct 18, 10 12:11 PM
gailweis wrote:
hannah57 wrote:I'm up to my ears with these HOGs. Can't these developers come up with a game without hidden objects? I don't mind once-in-awhile playing a HOG but this is getting crazy. I demoed this game and I quit half way through because I simply lost interest. Please, please, make more games without hidden objects in them. I'm all but ready to toss my cookies I'm so sick of it. The graphics were good but that's about it.


Hannah57 - Please contact Customer Service re your complaint. This forum is for "Comments and Reviews for Mysteries of Magic Island."

It would appear to me, gailweis, that she did exactly what this is for. She commented on the game and reviewed it. " The graphics were good but that's about it"... review..

Can't developers come up with a game without hidden objects?..Comment.

See how that works? I mean really, did her making her post prevent you from reading other reviews or did you just enjoy being on your high horse?

 
honeyg412
Clownfish
Clownfish
985 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mysteries of Magic Island

[Post New]by honeyg412 on Oct 18, 10 12:31 PM
Hear ye, hear ye Fishies - Seriously - this war of words and fighting over types of games needs to stop. It is quite insulting to even take the time to write a nasty comment of your like's and dislike's of types of games in a forum intended for reviews and comments of a particular game. I go to the forum of a particular game in hopes of being helped in making up my mind on whether or not to purchase the game based on the opinions of those who've played it. In my opinion I feel that those that do not like a particular kind of game should not DL, play or comment in the game forum but instead go to the "Chit-Chat Corner" and start a thread there. Can't we all just get along and look at the enjoyment we are being supplied with ????? As the saying goes - you can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people all the time. Happy Gaming fellow fishies.

 
KimiKanda
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mysteries of Magic Island

[Post New]by KimiKanda on Oct 18, 10 2:50 PM
I am 100% with the LOVE HOG'S. Whether the game is long or short I am definitely, a HOG. Please never stop HOG games. You can always switch up and play other games, but nothing beats a good HOG. Too me it's like a good Corn Beef Hoagie with a Dr. Pepper and a bag of chips, just can't get enough!

 
ldeachus
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mysteries of Magic Island

[Post New]by ldeachus on Oct 18, 10 5:13 PM
I tried this but did not buy. Unlike some - I hate Hidden Object. I always look for the Adventure games and then wind up with an HOG listed in the Adventure category. I really dislike the cross categorizing - leave them in the Hidden Object but not in Adventure.

If a get an Adventure game with a FEW Hidden objects, I will suffer through them. This game is soooo profuse with hidden objects, it got tedious.

In contast, I absolutely loved Siberia and Siberia II.

 
ruby_leo
Clownfish
Clownfish
764 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mysteries of Magic Island

[Post New]by ruby_leo on Oct 18, 10 5:18 PM
The first time through I got a little frustrated because like many others that I was unable to light the torches, and a little upset when the moderator's comment was to start with a new profile because I thought that the lanterns were close to the end of the game. I took the advice of the moderator and changed profiles and difficulty of the game. The second time around it worked just fine. I also found out that there was still a lot of the game to be played after you light the lanterns. It turned out playing it the second time around a very enjoyable game. The graphics on this game were beautiful. Enjoyed the different mini games it offered. Thanks Big Fish and thanks to the moderator who gave the advice except I feel it would have been better to be able to go through the entire game before having to replay it. (lol)

 
qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mysteries of Magic Island

[Post New]by qpr1 on Oct 19, 10 7:24 AM
another (imo) boring hog

 
gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

Re:Review and Comments

[Post New]by gailweis on Oct 19, 10 9:43 AM
dewieee wrote:
gailweis wrote:
hannah57 wrote:I'm up to my ears with these HOGs. Can't these developers come up with a game without hidden objects? I don't mind once-in-awhile playing a HOG but this is getting crazy. I demoed this game and I quit half way through because I simply lost interest. Please, please, make more games without hidden objects in them. I'm all but ready to toss my cookies I'm so sick of it. The graphics were good but that's about it.


Hannah57 - Please contact Customer Service re your complaint. This forum is for "Comments and Reviews for Mysteries of Magic Island."

It would appear to me, gailweis, that she did exactly what this is for. She commented on the game and reviewed it. " The graphics were good but that's about it"... review..

Can't developers come up with a game without hidden objects?..Comment.

See how that works? I mean really, did her making her post prevent you from reading other reviews or did you just enjoy being on your high horse?


Thanks, Dewieee, last time I post. These forums are getting way too personal and (in your case) nasty for me.

Edited on 10/19/2010 at 9:49:35 AM PST


 
kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mysteries of Magic Island

[Post New]by kdubs on Oct 19, 10 12:56 PM
hydrogibbon wrote:I have to agree with Jess F. I just finished the game and it was much longer and enjoyable than I expected.


I'm with you! I just finished and got over 8 hours fun play because I'm slow-w-w. But I avoid the walkthrough if possible and also try to finish every puzzle (when that fails, I'm grateful for the SKIP). I have a good sense of direction, so the back-n-forth was fun not work, but fair warning -- there's LOTS of back-n-forth! I loved the graphics. It was fun to play an IHOG mostly in the sun!

I already gave my 2cents on the 'other stuff', so I just wanted to give an updated game review now that I've finished.

Let's game on peacefully.

ETA: that wasn't 8 hours nose-to-the-screen. it was over 3 days, slowed by meals at the computer, sweetpea's insistence for yet another pet, trips outside, and most importantly another treat, plus multiple phone chats while playing. if that's anything like how your gaming goes, it's still a very nice LONG GAME.

Edited on 10/19/2010 at 8:32:50 PM PST


 
rumtmtiger
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mysteries of Magic Island

[Post New]by rumtmtiger on Oct 19, 10 1:35 PM
I like this game, but!!!! LOL. My only complaint is that it is very short. 3 hours for me an I play slowly. Hidden objects were easy and rarely had to use a hint. Mini games were fun but not very challenging. All in all, a relaxing game but a little too easy.

 
honeyg412
Clownfish
Clownfish
985 Posts

Re:Review and Comments

[Post New]by honeyg412 on Oct 19, 10 4:12 PM
gailweis wrote:
dewieee wrote:
gailweis wrote:
hannah57 wrote:I'm up to my ears with these HOGs. Can't these developers come up with a game without hidden objects? I don't mind once-in-awhile playing a HOG but this is getting crazy. I demoed this game and I quit half way through because I simply lost interest. Please, please, make more games without hidden objects in them. I'm all but ready to toss my cookies I'm so sick of it. The graphics were good but that's about it.


Hannah57 - Please contact Customer Service re your complaint. This forum is for "Comments and Reviews for Mysteries of Magic Island."

It would appear to me, gailweis, that she did exactly what this is for. She commented on the game and reviewed it. " The graphics were good but that's about it"... review..

Can't developers come up with a game without hidden objects?..Comment.

See how that works? I mean really, did her making her post prevent you from reading other reviews or did you just enjoy being on your high horse?


Thanks, Dewieee, last time I post. These forums are getting way too personal and (in your case) nasty for me.


Gail - please don't stop posting due to an insensitive or nasty remark. You would be surprised how many fishies agree with you even if they don't post. I agree that the forums have gotten way too personal and nasty but for the most part you'll find a lot of genuine and caring friends here.

 
jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mysteries of Magic Island

[Post New]by jkuci on Oct 19, 10 5:35 PM
OMG!!!!

Does anyone who likes HOGs have an opinion of this game!!!??


Edited on 10/19/2010 at 5:38:10 PM PST


 
ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mysteries of Magic Island

[Post New]by ember89 on Oct 19, 10 9:17 PM
so, i wasn't sure if i was going to like this one, but i have to admit that as soon as i started playing i just got sucked in!

it has great graphics, and an integrated game play that makes it a terrific hidden object/adventure game... there are some points that i don't like, however...

the map is nice, but if you're going to have a map, why not be able to use it like other adventure games - like a magic teleporter... click on the area where you want to go and >POP!< there you are... because finding all the little pieces of the amulets and having to make the trek back to the magic table over and over... then knowing you need a potion and knowing you have to go to the magic hut, but having to wander back there and then get back to where you needed to use it...

i did like the game overall, though, and have been playing off and on throughout the evening... i haven't finished it yet because i ran into a snag that plenty of folks like me have also run into... in the temple you CAN'T fill and light the lamps when you want, you have to do it the way the game wants - so be careful! or you end up in our boat... starting over under a new profile

i don't think i will be doing it immediately, but i will do it sometime in the future... it's a good enough game that i would want to play it again anyway, just would really like to not have to do it this way...

 
 
 
 
Go to: