peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Column of the Maya

[Post New]by peglegann on Oct 18, 10 6:08 AM
Am DL just for a look see. Read the reveiws here and another site, where this was out on Saturday. Is not looking good Will try anyway

dewieee
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by dewieee on Oct 18, 10 6:09 AM
doctorgood wrote:
Dr.good
p.s. Oh yeah,it's your basic"find grampa who is lost somewhere on the planet" scenario but with a twist, you also have a dirty talking Latino gentleman chasing you!
GIVE ME A BREAK!

I wonder how poor grandpa would ever survive should he have a grandson! Cannot believe they are still using the same old "grandpa and granddaughter" routine. Do they not get that it is overused?

tropdechats
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by tropdechats on Oct 18, 10 6:18 AM
I am going to go against the flow. Usually my reviews seem to be harsh and someone always reminds me to be kind to those well-meaning game developers. Well, today, I will be kind.

I agree with many of the negative comments, especially about the quality of the graphics. In many of the HOG scenes, you can locate the objects simply because they are not well integrated graphically; they "stick out." And spot the difference -- if there can't be a law against them, there should at least be a skip button.

But what I really enjoy about the game is the fact that it does not hold my hand. Nothing sparkles. The cursor changes shape but figuring out why and what to do about it is not always easy. The hint system is helpful. And, although it is against my religion, I have been forced to use it. And thanks, drgood, for the info about where the medallion went. So I will buy this game because it is a satisfying challenge.

P.S. All reviews are valuable. Don't let anybody tell you to change yours. Period.

Sablesshadow
Manatee
Manatee
4,347 Posts

[Post New]by Sablesshadow on Oct 18, 10 6:28 AM
tropdechats wrote:

P.S. All reviews are valuable. Don't let anybody tell you to change yours. Period.

Goofyduck, I couldn't agree more with snapnhiss and tropdechats. Your reviews are one of the reasons I come to the All Games Forum. Keep them as fulsome as you like, OK?

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Oct 18, 10 6:35 AM
Sablesshadow wrote:
tropdechats wrote:

Goofyduck, I couldn't agree more with snapnhiss and tropdechats. Your reviews are one of the reasons I come to the All Games Forum. Keep them as fulsome as you like, OK?

Full agreement from me too

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Oct 18, 10 6:38 AM
This game is hilarious - for those of you that stick it out until you get to the watch, the solution to that was just what I wanted to do about then!

Highlight for spoiler Did you try using the hint button while you are in the watch scene? It tells you what you need to do.

[Post New]by overthehill60 on Oct 18, 10 7:00 AM
I tried this game on another site and I can honestly say that it was one of the worst HOGs I have ever played. I am so disappointed with what's being offered from BF lately that I could cry. I have had to resort to going to other sites to buy my games and I think that's very sad. BF is the largest site offering casual games for PCs but this offering today has become the norm rather than the exception. I can only hope that BF starts offering better produced and developed games in the future. As always, this is my opinion only and not meant to upset anyone else. If my comments cause any of the members upset, then I'm sorry.

vickie39
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by vickie39 on Oct 18, 10 7:01 AM
Barbarabarb wrote:I have said it before and will say it again. Are developers making such huge profits that they can affort to ignore us, the buying public, and keep turning out these awful games? I have games from way back which are so much better as I am sure we all do, but instead of lessons being learned the games now just seem to get worse and worse. OK we do not have to buy them and the money stays in the bank but as a senior citizen living alone a good game means a lot and so many that could be good are ruined because they have the faults that we dislike so much. This one seems to have them all - so another gameless day.

Sooo agree!! Where were you all last week when I was ranting on "The Institute.....Becky Brogan"???? regarding dark/small/blurred graphics?

The problem seems to me to be "foreign" developers. How bout BUY AMERICAN?

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Oct 18, 10 7:15 AM
Wow, the trial hour flew by!! This is always a positive sign. I am on the fence about purchasing though. I really liked the visual look of the game a lot and I am really intrigued where the story was headed (yes, as time has passed, I have grown to pay attention to, and care about, the stories!).

My problems with the game are, firstly, that you should not have less than sharp graphics and really small items in the same game - I was forced to use hints (something I am loathe to do) five different times in the demo hour and twice, after the hint showed me a specific area to look, I found the objects only from clicking around - I never actually SAW the items. I absolutely can tolerate very small items and I am good at finding them OR I can tolerate less than crispy graphics if it doesn't interfere with object hunting/game play - but NOT BOTH! Also, in my first hour of play, I encountered no mini games other than Spot the Difference - I had three of those! Now, I am good at spot the difference games, but I do not like them, at all! So my impression was that there were definitely more of those to come in the game.

Despite this, I liked the game! I am really undecided about a purchase though. If nothing else comes along and I still need the one punch to fill my punch card I will most likely buy this one. However, I will also be waiting to try to ascertain the length of the game, that will factor into my decision as well.

Don't totally pass this demo by, give it a try! It isn't "the worst game ever" at all, in my opinion... I am thinking about it!!

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Oct 18, 10 7:18 AM
vickie39 wrote:

Hold on there Vickie. I have played some fantastic games made by "foreign" developers. That is an awfully broad blanket statement to make. I realize it is your right to express your opinion and I am also expressing mine.

Please take no offense!!

shadowfax

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Oct 18, 10 7:22 AM
vickie39 wrote:
Barbarabarb wrote:I have said it before and will say it again. Are developers making such huge profits that they can affort to ignore us, the buying public, and keep turning out these awful games? I have games from way back which are so much better as I am sure we all do, but instead of lessons being learned the games now just seem to get worse and worse. OK we do not have to buy them and the money stays in the bank but as a senior citizen living alone a good game means a lot and so many that could be good are ruined because they have the faults that we dislike so much. This one seems to have them all - so another gameless day.

Sooo agree!! Where were you all last week when I was ranting on "The Institute.....Becky Brogan"???? regarding dark/small/blurred graphics?

I was right there in the trenches with you. What a sorry excuse for a game that was.
Dr.good

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Oct 18, 10 7:57 AM
Whether this game is foreign or English made,LOL! it is not for me. The size of the sugar cubes . Not much colour, I did have a headache after trying to find some items. . I am amazed and pleased that some fishies like this. Enjoy A no buy and a delete for me.
Personally, I think, we have had good games from all over the globe. Happy gaming all

beckx020
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

[Post New]by beckx020 on Oct 18, 10 7:58 AM
Well, I'm sad. I liked the game play. I even liked the graphics etc. But things to find were way too tiny or the click area was not where I was clicking. Click area has to be bigger.

So, I didn't buy it, but I would have liked to.

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Oct 18, 10 8:02 AM
goofyduck77 wrote:I was told my reviews are too long so I'll try to keep it shorter without too many details. quote]

I don't know who told you that, but as I said the other day, yours are always ones that I value. One reason is because of the details you provide. So I'm going to be rude and tell you not to listen to such nonsense. You focus on the game and it's relative merits (or lack thereof) and that's important. Whether or not I agree about the game itself is immaterial, though I've found myself agreeing more often than not.

As for this game...it's so-so. I sort of want to find out what happens, but not so much that I want to buy it. The graphics weren't bad, but not great either. There were a lot of small objects. Even the best games have some small objects, but they don't rely soley on shrinkage to hide the objects. I'm not sure about the dialogue...It seemed sarcasm was the rule of the day. There's only so much sarcasm one can take before it starts to become old. I only made to the plane and grampa when my hour ended-I'm a slow player so I don't know it it gets better or worse. The music was okay. It started out as jazz-which is cool and ended with new age? maybe...I'm not sure. I recall hearing a harp and it didn't sound like classical. That's my two-cents worth at any rate.

Edited on 10/18/2010 at 8:57:41 AM PST

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Oct 18, 10 8:09 AM
Where were you all last week when I was ranting on "The Institute.....Becky Brogan"???? regarding dark/small/blurred graphics?

The problem seems to me to be "foreign" developers. How bout BUY AMERICAN

Vicky39, I think you will find a lot of fishies were in the pond with you on the Becky Brogan. LOL! I did not buy that 1.
I am in England, do we make rubbish? In fact do we develop any games . Just wondering, as all games are by foreign devs to me. I understood your point, just toooo generalised.

Edited on 10/18/2010 at 8:11:48 AM PST

WinonaCook
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,870 Posts

[Post New]by WinonaCook on Oct 18, 10 8:29 AM
goofyduck77 wrote:I was told my reviews are too long so I'll try to keep it shorter

Goofy, please don't change the way you do your reviews. If I don't like the way someone posts I just ignore their posts. I don't ask them to change them I just read the ones I do appreciate and I sooooooooo appreciate yours. As I do many others here.

Thanx so much to you and all the others that take the time to review no matter how long or short they are.

Winona

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Oct 18, 10 8:32 AM
WinonaCook wrote:
goofyduck77 wrote:I was told my reviews are too long so I'll try to keep it shorter

Goofy, please don't change the way you do your reviews. If I don't like the way someone posts I just ignore their posts. I don't ask them to change them I just read the ones I do appreciate and I sooooooooo appreciate yours. As I do many others here.

Thanx so much to you and all the others that take the time to review no matter how long or short they are.

Winona

Well said Winona

SMQMC
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by SMQMC on Oct 18, 10 8:38 AM
doctorgood wrote:
2easy wrote:One day somebody will think up a game that is not a HOG.....getting boring!

I'm pretty sure they have. You might want to check the main page under PC downloads. ..Aren't I just a veritable compendium of useful knowledge!
Dr.good
p.s. I hope you have a sense of humor. I really didn't mean to zing you. You just made it "2easy".

doctorgood, you beat me to it! This isn't the first time someone has blasted BF for not having games other than Hidden Object ones. If they would just look at the Home Page it wouldn't be an issue and wouldn't be so dang irritating! Well, I've had my say for the day and will not comment on this game since it just hasn't pleased the majority of reviewers. I was SO looking forward to a good HOG today.

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Oct 18, 10 8:40 AM
I just tried this game and won't be buying it. The graphics aren't blurry but the scenes I tried were quite dark and the hidden objects were so out of proportion that I couldn't recognize them for what they were. For example the balls of yarn looked like a spider next to a pencil. The sugar cubes were tiny dots. Hiding things by making them tiny is ridiculous. Perhaps I would have liked this and bought it but as it stands I'm uninstalling.

SMQMC
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by SMQMC on Oct 18, 10 8:40 AM
peglegann wrote:
WinonaCook wrote:

Winona

Well said Winona

Come on goofyduck, you already know what I think of your reviews!

Go to: