Shastac2
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

Re:(To Goofy) Your Comments and Reviews for Sinister City

[Post New]by Shastac2 on Oct 19, 10 1:10 PM
<<<And even had a RPG feel to it.>>>

OK, I give, what is RPG?

BTW - I love your reviews. Aways helpful, Thanks!

shastac2

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

Re:(To Goofy) Your Comments and Reviews for Sinister City

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 19, 10 1:13 PM
Shastac2 wrote:OK, I give, what is RPG?

Rpg = Role Playing Game (like Aveyond or Millenium)

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Sinister City

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 19, 10 1:17 PM
I like this game. The graphic is not the best, for sure, but how cares? I buy a game for the gameplay and not for the great-looking graphic. The storyline is good, items are sometimes a little bit hard to see. Hintbutton took very long to load. Its a buy for me.

My recommendation for everyone how like this game: You should also try Millenium Secrets - its from the same developer, same gameplay. Here is the downloadlink:
http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/7669/millennium-secrets-emerald-curse/index.html

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Oct 19, 10 1:57 PM
.. I should have taken advise from everyone else who said it wasn't worth the download. Wasted my time. I am waiting for a good game to buy as I don't like wasting and money.

Edited on 10/19/2010 at 1:58:22 PM PST

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Oct 19, 10 2:45 PM
The graphics were 3D but had a robot/stiffness to them that detracted. The storyline is different. The gameplay is extremely easy. There are a few mini-games and HOG for items that you use, but this is an adventure game. Sadly the game locked up and crashed as I was trying to get past a guard. The load between sceen wasn't long, but annoying.

This game is a B-.

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Oct 19, 10 2:51 PM
This was a good game but too short. I find some of technical problems a pain but you can live them.

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Oct 19, 10 3:19 PM
This is not "scary" in any sense of the word and I don't believe it was meant to be.
This would fall under the catagory of RPG/HOG lite. Extremely lite.
Loaded and ran fine for me with no problems.
Option of both challenge and basic mode. I played challenge level with no sparkles but there are sparkles/clues in the basic level.
3rd person perspective.
Very linear. Point A to point B in a given area depending on the task.
Mini games, while playing into the story line, are simple.
Didn't pay any attention to the music so it must be unobtrusive.
Graphics are clear for the most part.
There is a small amount of interaction as you move some things to find others and select people to talk to.
Most objects to find are multiple identical items.
No penalty for clicking.
If you click on a location, i.e. a door, the character auto goes there.
Story line is suppose to be humorous. To some it may be.
Very short game. For me, 1.5 hours and that was not rushing or skipping.

Hmm..well I bought it thinking the humor was interesting in the demo portion.
It never improved. Cute concept that never really fleshed out. And the over all game was extremly easy.
End result for me was boredom. Although I did get a smile at the action during the closing credits.
This would be a great game for someone who was just discovering this genre or was on the young side.
Probably on the whole wished I'd saved the credit.
Happy gaming Fishies.

[Post New]by crazybluegirl200 on Oct 19, 10 4:49 PM
I could not play this game for long. I was just bored. It made no sense at all either.
The graphics were great, if only the story and game play were just as great.
I would still say it is worth a try to see if you like it.

OzzyRobyn
Minnow
Minnow
254 Posts

[Post New]by OzzyRobyn on Oct 19, 10 4:55 PM
Cute, some good puzzles.

CLICKY!!! And often I couldn't find something, got a hint, and it was something I'd already clicked on several times. Grrr.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Oct 19, 10 5:00 PM
ok, so i have a few things to say...

first of which: it's john & Mina, not john & nina... didn't these guys read the story, the cliff's notes, watch the movie, etc??

and the hotel clerk is one big oxymoron on his own... he owns a hotel but drives people away, he's cluttered and scatter-brained but has a host of 'imported' vampire-repelling implements, and the 'hypnosis' machine?? if i checked into a hotel and was having problems with, say, my car, the last thing i think i would be doing is chumming up with some guy who keeps a device like that in his storeroom...

as for the stiffness of the players - i can only assume they used up all their memory in drawing them out... but it was up to snuff in that our "nina" does look a little like "annabel" of egyptian fame... and the hotel johnny bears a more than striking resemblance to "shorty" of shadow ranch fame, right own to the i-don't-trust-him tone of his voice... but that's just me...

quirky as it is, though, it just doesn't capture me... i really feel that whatever the count has in store for nina just be allowed to pass... and if she thinks she can craft her own rescue after telling her fiance to hit the road and not look back - well, what should she really be able to expect??

so, skipping the rest of this story and heading back to the void!

shervy
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by shervy on Oct 19, 10 7:35 PM
Hi guys,
i played this in advance mode and all was great. Only goes for 2 to 3 hrs.
Is a great rp adventure game though.
Look forward to more like this

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on Oct 19, 10 8:03 PM
DID NOT LIKE GAME..Played full 60 minutes..too slow and zombie like...graphics ok but not enough mystery to want me to continue playing..

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Oct 19, 10 8:46 PM
Full disclosure, I've got some horrid flu and played this game while dosed on cold medicine. The game and I were at the same speed.

This is the game version of a horribly campy b-movie vampire flick. Not that great but you can feel how much fun the developers had while they were making it. Inside jokes and vampire trivia abound. During one of the early scenes, a ghostly cartoon version of death (complete with skull, scythe and hood) drifts past a window for no reason. It was so cheesy that it made me laugh.

Game play is standard - get a task, find some stuff, use the stuff, play a mini-game.

HOG scenes are tucked into close-ups and work as exercise for your mouse finger. Items are hidden behind larger objects that slide out of the way if you click on them but there's not a lot of logic to it, so you end up clicking on every. single. thing. The close up scenes themselves aren't obvious, if you're playing on hard mode, you'll do a lot of pixel hunting. There's no penalty for mis-clicks which helps.

Mini-games are a mix between the old standard pipes and unique logic games, some of the later are well done but there isn't enough of them.

The game is also very short. I only got 2.5 hours out of it but I did use more hints than usual.

I give it a 3 out 5 but I'll also be watching to see what this developer comes up with in the future.

Really, the mood and silliness of it is the best reason to play it. And you don't have to be under the effects of cough medicine to like it, but it certainly helps.

Edited on 10/19/2010 at 8:48:05 PM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 20, 10 1:25 AM
I am not sure whether I like this game or not. It's terribly easy, and there is absolutely no challenge.

Unlike Spiritdog51, I liked the HINT system. Whenever I needed to find a last item, it showed me exactly where I needed to look.

I also didn't mind that John, the main character, didn't move fast. After all, you just have to click on an exit or a place he is supposed to go, and he is there instantly.

The graphics are rather old-fashioned, meaning not very good. Liked the voice-over of the characters, and the mini games were OK - and thank goodness the SKIP button worked immediately.

However, this game didn't excite me at all, so I will give this one a miss.

Edited on 10/20/2010 at 1:26:46 AM PST

Badut
Herring
Herring
345 Posts

[Post New]by Badut on Oct 20, 10 3:08 AM
I liked this game in the beginning - a little dark and sinister, YES But the story ended in a comedy, which I didnt like. Gameplay is great though - in the beginning difficult till I found out courser turns red when there is an active spot. All in all an okay game, but not one for replay

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Oct 20, 10 4:27 AM
Mixed reviews here, so will have to wait until tonight to demo it (darn!). I'm just getting into Adventure games, so perhaps this would be a good one to practice on. BTW, CasualGran and Goofy Duck - love your reviews!

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Oct 20, 10 5:30 AM
Thanks for the great reviews, especially Goofyduck - your detailed reviews are useful, unlike the one-liners that simply proclaim a game boring, terrible, worst game ever, scream "Don't buy" at everyone, or whatever! You say WHY you like or dislike a game, and that is what other gamers are interested in.

I almost passed on this one, because I usually avoid the straight adventure games. Too many of them are the Sim City style, where you are looking down on the scene. The TDT for today is that style, and I just hate that type of graphics. I decided to check out the forum today (a day late) on this game, and it interested me enough that I downloaded and played a bit, and it looks good.

I've read several comments that this is very short after the hour demo, but it loks interesting to me so for now I'm going to hold off and hope that BFG runs a Halloween sale!

s65roses
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by s65roses on Oct 20, 10 6:01 AM
Another HOG--BORING!!! Ugh. . .I'm so sick of them. . .same thing every day. Getting ready to cancel my membership. . .

[Post New]by overthehill60 on Oct 20, 10 7:22 AM
I have a friend who is always saying she can't play adventure games because they are way too hard. Well, here's an adventure that is a great game for her. It's task driven and has a hint system which won't get anyone lost wandering around looking for inventory items from room to room. The cursor even changes to red when a player in heading in the right direction. What more can you ask for? All these things make for a great first time adventure game.

I'm heading off now to tell my friend about this game with the hope that she'll become less likely to shy away from adventure games in the future. For me however, I found this game a little too different from the adventure games I would normally play so it isn't a buy for me. As a starter game for adventures, I think it's perfect.

As always, this is my opinion and I hope none of the members take offense. Have a great day and happy gaming.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 20, 10 10:10 AM
s65roses wrote:Another HOG--BORING!!! Ugh. . .I'm so sick of them. . .same thing every day. Getting ready to cancel my membership. . .

This isn`t a hog, its a adventure game, similar to Millenium Secrets or Art of Murder (large file game).

Have you tried all the games from last week? Maybe you like them - The Island Castaway is a great adventure game (like Wandering Willows); Farm Tribe is also great; also Dreamscape (its a very nice rpg like the zelda games); Posh Boutique 2 (nice tmgame). The other games from last week are hog. I think Bigfish has a good variety of games for everyone. Happy gaming to you!

Edited on 10/20/2010 at 10:13:59 AM PST

Go to: