problems with the game

me444
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

Re:problems with the game

[Post New]by me444 on Jun 6, 11 10:15 PM
Thanks so much, marielh!! It worked!! I have tried unsucessfully to download this game a few years back, so I thought the game just wouldnt work until now. Thanks a lot.

[Post New]by kitty3814 on Sep 22, 11 5:48 PM
Marielh, wow you are the best, I tried everything to and all I did was do what you wrote and it works great...... Thank you so much...

[Post New]by geniespeak on Dec 7, 11 6:35 PM
I read every thing in this forum. Lost track of how many times I tried it all.. I have Win 7. Put the file in the Programs, BigFishGamesCache, and Documents, then it dropped out of the Game Manager for some reason and gave me a different error message.. Had to download it again and it finally works! I have never had so much trouble with a game installation. Even looked on herinteractive site. They really should fix this game.

[Post New]by Loomy427 on Dec 28, 11 11:58 AM
Marielh your a freaking genius! Thank you so much. I too had this problem for a long time with a few nancy drew ga,Ed and tried everything. I came across your solution and thought wth it sounds simple enough and it was! Thank you!

[Post New]by Tracy_lynn on Feb 11, 12 4:13 PM
Marielh!

Thank.You.SO.Much.It.worked.for.me.I.tried.the.tech.thing.and.it.didn't.work.your.solution.did.sorry.for.the.periods.my.spacebar.is.shot..Thanks.again.

problems with the game

[Post New]by Morgan11997 on May 9, 12 7:51 AM
cayina wrote:I need help. The instalation of this nancy drew game is correctly done, but i have problems to run it. When i want to play, appears the message: "Unable to open CAL or CIF TREE file:C:\Program files\Nancy Drew-danger on deception island\ciftree\CIFTREE.DAT.Check the path in your .ini file". Then appears "Error: Acces violation at 0x0041437A (tried to read from 0x00000000), program terminated".
¿What can i do? I wrote to the client service, but the indications they gave me doesn´t work (uninstall and reinstall again)
¡Please help me!
(Sorry of the mistakes i could do, I'm chilean)
Thanks a lot!

problems with the game

[Post New]by Morgan11997 on May 9, 12 5:11 PM
cayina wrote:I need help. The instalation of this nancy drew game is correctly done, but i have problems to run it. When i want to play, appears the message: "Unable to open CAL or CIF TREE file:C:\Program files\Nancy Drew-danger on deception island\ciftree\CIFTREE.DAT.Check the path in your .ini file". Then appears "Error: Acces violation at 0x0041437A (tried to read from 0x00000000), program terminated".
¿What can i do? I wrote to the client service, but the indications they gave me doesn´t work (uninstall and reinstall again)
¡Please help me!
(Sorry of the mistakes i could do, I'm chilean)
Thanks a lot!

[Post New]by brookeeledford on Jul 6, 12 7:49 PM
PASTE THE WHOLE NANCY DREW - DANGER ON DECEPTION.. FROM THE PROGRAM FILE (x86) INTO THE PROGRAM FILE

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

marielh
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by marielh on Nov 22, 12 5:54 PM
I hadn't been in the forums in a long time and hadn't read this thread since a few years ago. I am very happy to see that my messing about has worked for so many people. I'm not sure why the tech people at BFG haven't looked into it to see why it works so that they can just recommend it to people themselves. I'm not a tech person at all--just an English teacher who likes to fiddle around with tech stuff occasionally.

Thanks to all for the kind remarks!!

[Post New]by nancydrewgirl3 on Dec 26, 12 7:58 PM
marielh...Thanks you sooooooooo Much!!!!! I did just as you said and it worked!!
YAY! Now to go and actually play the game...

[Post New]by merissa34 on Dec 30, 12 12:54 PM
omg i can not find the .ini file where would it be i tried so many times to try to find it. T.T and it is already in my program file

Edited on 12/30/2012 at 12:56:14 PM PST

[Post New]by lauriegrz123 on Jan 4, 13 1:14 AM
I have windows 7. Nothing was working UNTIL I did what rozmo60 said (steps 1-6) and then I did the copying and pasting from marielh's method and now the game works!! THANK YOU!!! also its VERY important that you delete all the previous downloads of the game if you tried to install it before, the downloads are often backed up somewhere else on the computer. this may help also.. http://www.herinteractive.com/cms/faq/windows-vista-windows-7-installation-digital-download

[Post New]by danielb5 on Feb 3, 13 4:10 AM
Thanks marielh. Your soluton helped me too!! What you've done, is essentially create a mirror for Nancy Drew - Danger on Deception Island by copying the entire game folder into the installation folder specified in the game.ini file. This allows the game to be launched from the BFG games manager. The manager thinks the files are all in Program files (x86), but the files the game itself actually accesses are in Program files. Nice work!!!

Edited on 02/03/2013 at 4:12:33 AM PST

[Post New]by danielb5 on Feb 3, 13 5:11 AM
I have the simplest solution for Windows users who have both 'Program Files' and 'Program Files (x86)' on your hard drive (You're likely running Windows 2000/Vista/7, 64-bit O/S. Check your system settings to be sure) Simply install the game in the folder marked 'Program Files' to begin with. Do not install in 'Program Files (x86)', it will never work!! BFG game manager defaults to Program Files (x86) for 64-bit Windows O/S, but you can change it to Program Files under the BFG manager's 'Options' menu. Simply click on 'Options', select the 'Downloads' tab and change your installation directory to Program Files under 'Game Installation Location'. I recommending using the new location for all games that expect files to be located here instead of in 'Program Files (x86), as this will likely avoid problems with launching/loading the game. If you've already installed it in 'Program Files (x86)', uninstall then re-install in 'Program Files'. Remember to change the BFG manager's game install folder as described in this post before re-installing the game. Even if you change the install directory for other BF games after this, the games manager will still detect the game in the folder where you installed it. This works for Windows 7, 64-bit for sure (I'm running this O/S on my laptop). Windows 2000/Vista users may need additional help solving this problem. See other users' posts in this forum for help (Sorry, I don't have Windows 2000/Vista on any of my PCs).

[Post New]by Scrat666 on Mar 10, 13 8:55 AM
marielh wrote:For anyone else with this problem, I came up with a solution. I'm not sure it's the best or most elegant solution, but I got the game to work. I copied the entire folder that contained the game (Nancy Drew - Danger on Deception Island) from where it was automatically installed (C:\Program Files (x86)\) and pasted it into the folder C:\Program Files\. I left the .ini file exactly as it was when I installed it. I did not delete the originally installed program, but just copied it to the other folder. Now, I can run the problem from the BFG Manager or from the desktop icon that was created when I installed the game. If this happened to you and you need to do this, first right click on the desktop icon and click on "Open file location" to get to the main game folder. Good luck!

THANK YOU marielh - this solution worked straight away. Genius!

(For info - OS Windows 7, game installation 9th March 2013, same error message re unable to open CAL or CIF TREE file & to check path of .ini file so the problem still exists BFG...)

[Post New]by Animeflame on May 18, 13 9:20 AM
I tried coping and pasting but the game messed up, but if you go to your game manager, options, and download at the bottom you can change the game installation location. Then just reinstall the game and it should work.

Edited on 05/18/2013 at 9:22:08 AM PST

[Post New]by gtmamma on Aug 10, 13 8:55 AM
marielh wrote:For anyone else with this problem, I came up with a solution. I'm not sure it's the best or most elegant solution, but I got the game to work. I copied the entire folder that contained the game (Nancy Drew - Danger on Deception Island) from where it was automatically installed (C:\Program Files (x86)\) and pasted it into the folder C:\Program Files\. I left the .ini file exactly as it was when I installed it. I did not delete the originally installed program, but just copied it to the other folder. Now, I can run the problem from the BFG Manager or from the desktop icon that was created when I installed the game. If this happened to you and you need to do this, first right click on the desktop icon and click on "Open file location" to get to the main game folder. Good luck!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!.... this worked....

[Post New]by Lennete on Aug 31, 13 7:26 AM
I also had a problem with the installation as it was stuck on 99% and when I tried to open the game it kept saying error.so I closed the game manager and I re-opened the game and it worked!!!!!
I hope it will work with you.

[Post New]by meggan2222 on Jan 12, 14 1:25 PM
Well I have had this game for over a year now and it never worked. Thanks marielh, Worked like a charm!!! Thank you, Thank you!!

March_Hare
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by March_Hare on Apr 7, 14 12:57 PM

Chiming in with my thanks, marielh. I just downloaded this game today (five years after this thread was started) and got the dreaded "Cannot find..." error message. The good news is that the solution you posted still works beautifully.

Go to: