vkacademy
Guppy
Guppy
105 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery of the Earl

[Post New]by vkacademy on Oct 23, 10 5:12 PM
To me, the images seemed fuzzy and I was bored after about 12 minutes. The objects were very well camouflaged though. I had to use the hints a few times. Mostly I just felt bored and myopic.

[Post New]by Coronagold on Oct 23, 10 5:16 PM
I don't like it when they try to hide things with mucho grande transparency. And a bit on the short side. But I thought it was worth a credit.

esmeqt
Catfish
Catfish
1,721 Posts

[Post New]by esmeqt on Oct 23, 10 5:29 PM
I just have to say I'm so grateful for all your reviews. It helps me decide what to buy and what to leave in the pond, so to speak.

Today I get to save my money because this one doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy at all. I'm not a big fan of the cutesy stuff. Give me dark and eerie any day! Now I can save up for something awesome.

Thanks, reviewers!

KathyD56
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by KathyD56 on Oct 23, 10 6:40 PM
I just finished the game and I enjoyed it. Yes, many of the objects were very small, and hard to find, and I had to use the hint button often, but it was still very interesting and held my interest. The hint button recharges fast, so waiting didn't take too long. The only problem I had, was occasionally I would click on an item and it didn't take and when I used the hint, that was the exact item needed.
I only had to check the walkthrough once, so it was nice to be able to figure out the next moves on my own.
The puzzles were fun and not very hard, as I only had to use the skip button once. Some were just a matter of trial and error.
The story was cute and had a happy ending and was a nice way to spend a Sat. evening. The only negative is that the game is short, it took me 3 hours to finish and I am not all that fast.

nandog
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by nandog on Oct 23, 10 6:48 PM
WolfenRaindancer wrote:I love the super hogs, like Phantom of the Opera...but sometimes ones like this one today just hits the right spot. A long night at work, only an hour or so to play until bedtime, and tired mind just wants to relax, and I am too tuckered to wrap my mind around the ones I enjoy the most. So a game like this one is perfect for me now. Items are small, and sometimes hard to find, true, but I can just sit here and kick back and slowly peruse the scene and enjoy the pace. I spent 7 hours slowly enjoying Phantom, and I had a wonderful time. But I wouldn't even attempt a game like that on the nights I have to work. So rather than tarring all the feathers with the same brush, I think it is good that there are different styles of play in the same genre. This one might not be your cup of tea at the moment...I know most of you have the weekends off and want to sink your teeth ito something really good. But there may be a day where you only have an hour or so to play and your mind is in the right spot to slow down and enjoy one like this. I played 25 minutes, and stopped and used a credit to get it. I really am tired and bed is calling my name, but I know that when I get off in the morning, this one will be waiting for me to pick up where I left off. And the music on low in the background is strangly relaxing.

goldens
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by goldens on Oct 23, 10 7:24 PM
I thought I would try this game in spite of the mixed reviews, but I gave up before my hour was up. I tried to hang in there, but I found I was constantly hitting the hint button because the items were simple too small and ill defined. Not enjoyable for me....sorry.

gemmabloom
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by gemmabloom on Oct 23, 10 7:49 PM
Silly me, I played the whole hour demo and liked it. I don't care about storylines and skip them when possible anyway. The fairies were a little juvenile, so I ignored them. I turned off the music and left the bird twitters and crackling fire, which I found pleasant. Small objects give me fits, and yes, I did use the hint button, but I really didn't have that much difficulty finding things. The mini games were easy, but added a little variety.
Overall, while I don't consider this a breathtaking game, I have to go with those others who enjoyed it for what it is and who don't always want to have to fight their way through what is supposed to be fun. (I've played things like RTR and Dire Grove exactly once, and will probably never play them again.)
It was a pleasant hour that passed quickly.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Oct 23, 10 8:21 PM
ok.. all i can say is that i KNOW i have played this game before, so i must have had a beta version...

anyway, i thought it was a pretty sappy premise with little to lead me to think the game would actually succeed.... i don't remember actually liking any particular element, but whenever there's a fairy involved - i cringe! one more thing...

so, i'm going to skip on this DL and say that for those who enjoy this type of game, i'm sure it's worthwhile, but i'm sick of trying to rescue men who can't take care of themselves - grandfathers, uncles, fiances, whatever!

seriously... whatever!

brooklynblonde
Guppy
Guppy
175 Posts

[Post New]by brooklynblonde on Oct 23, 10 9:25 PM
Found this a little boring- I didn't finish the demo, played most of it, wanted to see if this game got more interesting. I skipped the story, not too interested in the rescue angle, as others before me have said. I thought that the objects were waaaaaay too hard to find, and I rarely think that in a game. Pass for me-just a bit of a YAWN

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 24, 10 1:32 AM
I am very sorry to say that I was disappointed. The graphics were not good enough, and I had to use the HINT button A LOT. The objects were near impossible to detect.

Also, after having played the 1-hour demo, I have yet to find all 10 diamonds in any of the rooms.

I like the storyline, and enjoyed the gameplay, but the below-standard graphics and the excessive use of hints decided against a buy.

burningswan
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by burningswan on Oct 24, 10 3:12 AM
Inspite of the fact that FROGS, fairies and romance themes are not my thing, I played the full demo and enjoyed it. Yes, I hit that hint button many times esp. looking for marbles, but I was having fun. I guess the atmosphere is right. The interactive aspect was not difficult, the graphics were pretty and clear. The hidden objects for the most part were not handed to you, you had to look for them. No timer, find the diamonds which I didn;t, minigames that are skippble including the dreaded Simon type game. Skippable story. Refillable hints. Nonintrusive music. It ran without a glitch on my 64 bit vista with NVIDIA graphics.

So why did I like this game? I guess because I usually stink at FROGS and I got a feeling of accomplishment with this one.

LostForever
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by LostForever on Oct 24, 10 5:17 AM
Yep, too surpy for me too and when I saw the fairies? It was the exit for me too. The next thing ya know I would be in the kitchen mixing stupid potions. Nope, outta there for me!!

Edited on 10/24/2010 at 5:18:19 AM PST

BigTfromAV
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by BigTfromAV on Oct 24, 10 6:35 AM
Not a good game at all. In order to reach many of the items in my inventory - I had to switch back and forth between full screen mode and small screen mode - not very good testing I would say.

The music is repetitive and annoying. I lasted 12 minutes before uninstalling.

[Post New]by kashka000 on Oct 24, 10 8:00 AM
I enjoyed the hour trial even though some of the objects were a bit difficult to find. It's a nice change of pace and not overly taxing.

[Post New]by kashka000 on Oct 24, 10 8:00 AM
I enjoyed the hour trial even though some of the objects were a bit difficult to find. It's a nice change of pace and not overly taxing.

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Oct 24, 10 10:14 AM
Thanks for all the great reviews. I'll be passing on this one. I game at night after work, dinner, chores, etc. when my poor eyes are tired. I think I'll save my eyesight for something more vision friendly. Thanks for the heads up!!

lindac1220
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by lindac1220 on Oct 24, 10 11:37 AM
Game did nothing for me but give me an eye strain headache. I hate games that even a young person with perfect vision would have trouble with. Definately will not buy this and as a matter of fact, am now removing it from my computer!!

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on Oct 24, 10 12:02 PM
After reading just a few of the reviews as everyone else I wonder if I just played the same game as everyone else. I found it to be one of the most visually beautiful games I have seen in a long time with the characters being very realistic looking. I also enjoyed the music very much and found it soothing. The hint button did have to used fairly often but not as much as some games.I also appreciated not having an over active cick penalty; in fact I never got penalized at all. The only thing that is keeping from buying this is the super natural aspects of the story line which as a Christian I am very cautious about and although so far it has kept within my comfort zone, I would not want to purchase it and then find out it got to a place I wasn't comfortable with. It would be great if there were more games of this caliber that didn't have occult or supernaturalelements in them.

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Oct 24, 10 1:18 PM
Once again, I find myself in the minority! I'm really enjoying this game. I like the music and the characters. I don't think the hidden objects are any more difficult to find than in other games - true, a little smaller but I haven't had too many problems. I was able to find 14 of the flowers before using the hint button. I think it's a fairly intuitive game at least so far - I've just gotten to the castle and have about 29 minutes on the demo to go, so I'll continue playing and see what happens. Based on the game so far, think I'll use a credit to buy it.

capipe
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by capipe on Oct 24, 10 2:48 PM
zzzzzzz...it's a good game for beginners but the objects are hard to see on the screen and you have to be quite accurate when you click on items. if you've played other more advanced adventure games this will put you to sleep. couldn't even make it through the free hour demo. maybe it gets better? going to replay sherlock or phantom.

Go to: