alowan
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

Re:Post any Mystery of the Earl technical issues here only

[Post New]by alowan on Nov 1, 10 5:26 PM
I had the same cursor problem of not being able to click on the glass, and of not being able to exit. I was still in the demo.

I went to the suggested "Game Crashing, Freezing, or Blank Screen" page, downloaded a new video driver, and set the Vista display to "basic." I then tried to open the game again, and it would not open.

I thought it might be because I was playing the demo, so I used my last game club credit and bought it. It still would not start.

I uninstalled it, and re-installed it from my history. It STILL will not start.

It might be time to admit there's a problem with the GAME, maybe?

BelindaR53
Clownfish
Clownfish
800 Posts

[Post New]by BelindaR53 on Nov 2, 10 11:44 AM
Couldn't someone here at BF get in touch with the developers of this game, and see if they are working on a fix for this game?? I really want to buy the game, but not till I know for sure if the slow loading will be fixed. Please.....someone let us all know.....

dregester
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by dregester on Nov 3, 10 3:13 PM
I've spent a total of 16 minutes trying to get this game to load. I was hoping there would be a fix by now. I'm going to go ahead a delete.

[Post New]by bishopsmom on Nov 3, 10 3:34 PM
I had the same issues as many others here, very slow screens, scenes bleeding through when moving to another location. But the game reverted to normal speed after the first 3 screens, then when you had to go back to the garden area screens, it slowed down again. There are obviously some technical issues with this game. I got through the entire game, but ran into the extremely slow screens sporadically throughout the game. Some of the slow screens would revert to normal speed after you had visited other areas. Very odd.

alowan
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

[Post New]by alowan on Nov 5, 10 3:44 PM
OK, I've had it. I want a refund. Not only have I done everything bfgArnoStyx has suggested, but I have uninstalled it from the Control Panel (as opposed to the Game Manager) THREE times, and reloaded it from my BFG history page THREE TIMES, and can't get the rotten thing to even START.

When I check the files (Windows button > all programs > right click Mystery Case Files) all that is in there are two shortcut buttons. Left clicking shows 4 subfiles, but right-clicking goes nowhere.

The last time I uninstalled/reloaded, before I did, I uninstalled the new Redrum game, which by the end was running really slow, with a cursor that was almost uncontrollable - I had to move my mouse very, very slowly to keep it from overshooting. I thought maybe that had something to do with it. Apparently, not.

I've asked for a refund. We'll see.

[Post New]by sercher on Nov 6, 10 9:08 AM
Have got the wire to re-string the harp - and now the harp wont open. It did before we got the string - have closed game and re-opened several times but still no luck. Cant move on. Can anyone say why so many of the new games are giving problems!!!

[Post New]by frenchdolly20 on Nov 8, 10 12:42 PM
bought this game and found it took a very long time to download it. When played for the first time, it ran so slowly I erased it and re-downloaded again. I did nothing to improve it. With persistence I finished the game but was very disappointed in its performance. Would not recommend it to anybody to buy.

[Post New]by aglspats on Nov 8, 10 6:15 PM
I stuck in the Cult cave - there is a doorway and when you put the cursor over it, it changes to a magnifying glass and a plus sign - when I click, the whole screen flickers and nothing else happens. What gives with this game.

Kyasarin
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by Kyasarin on Feb 1, 11 2:06 AM
I downloaded the Mac trial and am experiencing a very strange problem--the game (in fullscreen mode, mind you) only takes up part of the screen. Beside it, there's this weird distortion that flickers. Very distracting. It's running slow, too. Looks like a fun game, but I'm certainly not going to purchase it with that going on.

dakini
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by dakini on Feb 3, 11 12:37 AM
I managed to play for the full hour of the Mac version but there were several problems. Once you get passed the initial screen and put the bird in the nest you get a fairy. Except the fairy ends up as a cloud of code in the lower right hand corner. This never changes. It just has a dialogue balloon every once in a while. And none of the other characters that appear actually appear they are also clouds but more of pixels than code. This has some serious bugs that have obviously not been worked through. It would be nice to know when it has truly been fixed.

[Post New]by macfishie on Feb 3, 11 8:09 PM
Kyasarin wrote:I downloaded the Mac trial and am experiencing a very strange problem--the game (in fullscreen mode, mind you) only takes up part of the screen. Beside it, there's this weird distortion that flickers. Very distracting. It's running slow, too. Looks like a fun game, but I'm certainly not going to purchase it with that going on.

I had the same problem on my Mac, but found an easy fix by changing my screen resolution to 1024 x 768. Worked great and I had no technical issues with the game.

Kyasarin
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by Kyasarin on Feb 4, 11 5:08 PM
macfishie wrote:
Kyasarin wrote:I downloaded the Mac trial and am experiencing a very strange problem--the game (in fullscreen mode, mind you) only takes up part of the screen. Beside it, there's this weird distortion that flickers. Very distracting. It's running slow, too. Looks like a fun game, but I'm certainly not going to purchase it with that going on.

I had the same problem on my Mac, but found an easy fix by changing my screen resolution to 1024 x 768. Worked great and I had no technical issues with the game.

Hey, thanks! Weird how that works sometimes. I had to change my screen resolution to play "Dream Chronicles: The Book of Air" as well.

Rohangirl
Stingray
Stingray
5,716 Posts

[Post New]by Rohangirl on Feb 8, 11 3:45 AM
I'm stuck on chapter 8, I've given the Earl the potion to break the spell but now I can't move on, when I hit the hint button it tells me to try another scene. This happens with all three scenes, according to the walkthrough I should be picking up gun powder bags but nothing is triggered.

RyeMcLaughlin
Stingray
Stingray
4,659 Posts

[Post New]by RyeMcLaughlin on Feb 10, 11 3:23 AM
Played the Mac version for 25 minutes. Ran fine, liked the diamonds challenge. Quit and tried to restart. First time just got a black screen. Fortunately Command Q worked. When I started again it started from the beginning. Lost all my progress. I'll wait on this one until the problems are fixed.

[Post New]by phoenix_rising on Mar 20, 11 11:10 AM
Way too slow kept fading in and out and the curser would not line up. too bad might be a nice game.

Weretacha
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by Weretacha on Apr 9, 11 3:30 PM
Well, I guess I shouldn't feel so bad that I can't even enter my bleeding name, should I? And that's with updated drivers. I guess I can just delete this puppy and spend my money on a game that will work!

Problem with using Regular Cursor

[Post New]by Cobbscout on Jun 3, 11 1:40 PM
I prefer to use the regular computer cursor and not the fancy cursor that many games have. When I selected regular curor for "Mystery of the Earl" options page, the game did not work properly. I could not click on a hidden item as I normally can. I had to click multiple times (like 10 - 20 times) in order for the system to select or pick-up an item.

And when I went back to the Options page to try to change my curor selection to the special game curor the game did not respond at all. I couldn't even exit the game properly, I had to CNTL+ALT+DELETE and end the game that way.

Very disappointing the BigFish allowed such an error filled game into their collection.

mbmb6868
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by mbmb6868 on Jul 17, 11 6:06 PM
Ugh. I had to ctr-alt-delete my way out of this one too. Can big fish take down their "guarantee" about all games being tested? Every time this happens it just makes it more obvious that their guarantee is crap.

I love how when they post a bug filled game their only response is a checklist of how to check our computers. Customer service at it's finest.

CelticElf
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by CelticElf on Nov 30, 11 7:33 PM
Screensavers or wallpaper ? In the game if you collect all the diamonds in each level you can get a "Screensaver" by clicking Screensavers on the game's main menu... well I tried to get one, and it said "Screensaver Installed" but it is nowhere to be found. I have Vista Home Premium. My friend tried it also because they have Windows XP, same thing - tells her it is installed but then is nowhere to be found. Although I don't normally use screensavers, I do like putting them on for holidays - and the bats in the cavern one is ideal for halloween. Any ideas where these "Screensavers" are going ???

IvvyM
Guppy
Guppy
161 Posts

Re:Items not there, can't pick up etc.

[Post New]by IvvyM on Jan 5, 12 11:17 AM
Several items not there (well I can't see them in places indicated by WT or anywhere else) eg hammer parts, amulet parts
Cannot pick up 'small jar(?)' in inventory to put on/break large jar.
Hint says nothing to do when there is....
Just can't progress- & not for want of trying,, & trying!

Go to: