pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Downtown Secrets

[Post New]by pvsquare on Nov 5, 10 11:08 AM
I was hoping for something to get me going this time since it used a male lead but that black border turn me off. Maybe I am too picky. I tried the lower resolution but that screwed up my desktop icons and my other programs don't look as good. So I will wait for something better. Thanks, but no thanks.

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Nov 5, 10 11:30 AM
I don't feel so bad now that I read that the game is short. I can't wait to see what MCF comes up with.

JanG7
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by JanG7 on Nov 5, 10 11:39 AM
I am really enjoying this game . Played 40 minutes of the demo and used a credit. I've been playing for several hours now and just had to stop to let everyone know it is well worth the purchase or at least playing the full demo.

The graphics are great and the story line is excellent.

No problems with the screen resolution. I have a WS and using Windows XP SP3.

It's nice to have a man playing the lead role for a change.

Happy gaming everyone. My break from the game is over a going back play until I finish.

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on Nov 5, 10 11:53 AM
I was really enjoying the demo when my time was up...darn! I did enjoy the storyline and wanted to know how everything panned out. After reading the reviews though I think I will put this one on my maybe/dd list. I like a game that is a little longer since I feel like a got a little bit more for my

luckywife
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by luckywife on Nov 5, 10 12:12 PM
I tried my best because I have really been looking forward to a good IHOG. Made it through 40 minutes of the demo and although the story seems very interesting and the graphics are nice, I am having a heck of a time with some of the **** scenes. They are just so dark, I have never had to adjust the brightness of my monitor before for a game. As much as I am interested in the story, I found myself straining my eyes and clenching my jaw. Not a buy for me.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 5, 10 12:20 PM
Well, I liked the game. Good graphics and item not hard, but make you work for them. A lot of talking, but goes with the story and not just a lot of meaningless words, and you can click through it if you don't want to read it. Pretty good story line. Music was okay...I just turn it down. A little different than the straight HOG. I like mixing up where you need to find items and opening a box or a drawer is okay with me. Was really into the game when my hour was up, so guess I need to get this one to see how it ends and what the deal is.

One more thing...I really liked the hint system on this one too. It didn't actually show you the exact item, but where it was located. Different.

Goofyduck - I also had RTR and really liked the game. Hoping they put out more like that one.

Edited on 11/05/2010 at 12:28:43 PM PST

LindyMac
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by LindyMac on Nov 5, 10 2:15 PM
Good game but way too short and rubbish abrupt ending, wish I hadn't used a credit for it

lexi4
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by lexi4 on Nov 5, 10 3:03 PM
Thank you goofyduck. I am downloading now

letsdoit
Shark
Shark
10,483 Posts

[Post New]by letsdoit on Nov 5, 10 3:22 PM
i went a little backward this day...did the trial...loooovvve it...THEN...i came to the forum and checked out the posts....seen u were the for the day...now i can give u my spare star i made it...the i got for my day is hanging next to my beloved puter...really...so great review...i second that...course that counts for many others....bye bye...got to go...shopping..got 4 punch credits...oh yeah!

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Nov 5, 10 4:39 PM
THANKS GOOFYDUCK...LOVED YOUR REVIEW

I think my turkey maybe "DRY" again this year...lol..lol..lol..lol

Happy Gaming

PEN

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Nov 5, 10 4:48 PM
Played the whole demo, loved the graphics, story seems quite interesting, objects are really tiny but you get used to that (or may be they get bigger ?), turned the music off (as in most of my games), would have bought but read it was so terribly short... May be as a DD. Saving my money for MCF !!!!!!!!

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Nov 5, 10 4:54 PM
Just one more little thing : takes ages to load, thought I would never see the 100% coming. I did skip all the dialogues, the loading took enough time of the demo to bother with that.

Dianneamyte
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Dianneamyte on Nov 5, 10 5:32 PM
I liked the atmosphere of this game. The hint button recovered fairly quickly and no cursor going crazy for too many clicks. .

The graphics were clear most of time although, some dark areas made items difficult to locate.

Since the consensus seems to be that the game is a short one, I think that I will hold off buying. Sometimes there are several days of games that I am not interested in. If so, I may download the entire game.

[Post New]by Lauradelenn on Nov 5, 10 6:04 PM
VolleymomDee wrote:This was interesting - new type of plot, fantastic, crisp and clear graphics, and a unique hint system. My only complaint is that the game was exceptionally short.

You said it well! I was compelled to buy the game after trying the one hour trial; I found the game to be not a whole lot longer than that, but I'm not really complaining. It was a good looking game with an interesting story; almost reminded me of a film noire film. The story being told was like watching a film, truth to be told, or perhaps reading a short detective novella, rather than playing a video game.

The only complaints that I'd have would be that some of the objects were too small for my middle aged eyes to see, and of the shortness of the game. It seems obvious to me that there will be sequels, since other objects were mentioned (but not found).

I loved that the hint recharged quickly, and there were no penalties for clicking too much. I'd have liked to have seen a bit more fluidity in being able to move within the game itself. I personally prefer a less rigid game, such as Dire Grove, and find the forced movement between one scene to the next to be too restrictive. It doesn't feel like I'm really the one doing the investigating, since I don't get to figure out where to go next or what action to take.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Nov 5, 10 7:35 PM
I guess I'm the odd man out but I didn't really like the game. Played 20 minutes and then quit... it just felt so tedious. You're told every little thing to do... for example... (this could be a spoiler I guess but not much of one) you have some documents to copy so a text box comes up on the bottom of the screen "place documents on the copier" then another textbox comes up "add paper to the copier" and then yet another text box "find the ink and refill" that sort of thing. It was more like following instructions than playing a game... kind of felt like I was back at work but with a really annoying boss who can't just say "please make me copies of the file" but instead gives you a list of how to do that. The other thing that turned me off from the start was that you don't see the whole list all at once... combine the smallish list with the smallish objects and it did make for a challenge to find some of the objects which at least is a nice change from the in-your-face giant paperclips. But where that became really tedious was when some things were located in an inset that popped out and enlarged an area... I ended up clicking back to that same are multiple times as more of the items located there appeared on the list... I think I had the contents of that area memorized by the time I was done.

On the other hand the graphics are well done... clear and very pretty at times. The story was interesting although not enough to make me overlook the irritants. I think those who enjoy realistic graphics and detective style novels will probably enjoy this game. Seemed to be almost a straight hog... there were some interactive elements but they were pretty simplistic... like a key to open a lock and the key appears on the bottom left of your screen... you don't even have to open your inventory and again that constant instructional chatter... "use your key to open the lock" ummm really?? Cuz I was kinda thinking of ignoring the key and looking around for some dynamite. I guess I'd prefer a little less hand-holding or at least an option to play with it or without it. Would have been nice. I don't remember the music so it probably wasn't wonderful but it wasn't annoying either. Played with the typical black bars on the sides of my screen which is annoying but not enough to make me not buy a game as so many games don't fit large monitors it seems.

This is a no buy for me but others will probably like it...

JanG7
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by JanG7 on Nov 5, 10 8:01 PM
I finished the game and still I think it was a very good game. Took me 4-5 hours to complete. Maybe I'm a slow player or I just took my time to find everything and solve all the puzzles. Very rarely used the hint (as tempting as it may have been).

I thought the ending was very good and leaving it open for a possible sequel.

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Nov 5, 10 8:56 PM
Played this tonight after buying outright. I had done the beta test on this game and really enjoyed it. I can't BELIEVE how much they changed! I only did the beta about a week ago! The scenes you search are the same but every single thing (including the object placement in the scenes and even WHERE in the scenes for closeups is different). The entire beginning intro is changed, different things occur in different locations, other scenes are omitted entirely. All I can say is wow!

Anyway, my opinion on the game is that it is still a good one - though they GREATLY simplified finding the objects compared to before. To a fault somewhat. One thing I didn't like very much that is "new" is that there are often 1-2 areas that you zoom in on compared to 4-5 before and you are pretty much finding just about everything right in one spot. A lot less challenge finding the hidden objects now. The story seems a little more believable, I guess - you're searching for your missing ex-g/f and trying to figure out the facts on a murder. I'm afraid to comment too much as not sure if things revealed in the beta still stand true and now would be spoilers.

There are some cool effects in some scenes where you have sort of like a ghostly glow (supposed to be your foggy memory) and you need to restore the scene to the way it used to be. In the hidden object scenes, the hints refill fairly quickly - they do not show you the object outright, but zooms in to the area it is in. There are a few mini puzzles - one where you are assembling ancient necklaces that is a bit overkilled (they have you do 3 in a row) and another where you disarm an alarm panel. None of these are the same as from the beta either. It's like playing a different game with the same artwork! Anyway, I would rate this game 3.5 stars because graphically it's nice, gameplay is smooth, music good.

ryanjohn
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by ryanjohn on Nov 5, 10 9:24 PM
Played half the demo and will not buy for the following reasons:

1. Felt that I was spoon fed the game with the instructions of what to do next. I like an expert mode of game play.

2. Exiting did not save game unless you completed entire level. Trivial for some, but important for me as I try to sneak in games throughout the day. Not good for someone with demanding husband and kids.

3. Didn't like the close-up hidden object part as there were so many of the items in the close-ups. I felt the big scene was wasted. Large scene seemed blurry, too.

4. Shortness of game based on other reviews.

I did like:

1. Feel of the story.

2. Hint button recharged quickly.

3. Lots of things to look for in hidden object scenes.

4. IHOG aspect of game.

Edited on 11/05/2010 at 9:25:31 PM PST

Larissa_Jane
Flounder
Flounder
2,273 Posts

[Post New]by Larissa_Jane on Nov 5, 10 11:53 PM
ryanjohn wrote:

2. Exiting did not save game unless you completed entire level. Trivial for some, but important for me as I try to sneak in games throughout the day. Not good for someone with demanding husband and kids.

My question is: How can you tell WHENthe entire level is played???
I did not see it labelled level 1, level2 and so on.
So I just exited. When I went back I found that I was NOTat the end of the level. Quite annoying.
However, I do like this game. It is tricky enough for my G.daughter to play, and easy enough for an old lady (Me!) to play

Edited on 11/05/2010 at 11:59:22 PM PST

[Post New]by deepeegolf on Nov 6, 10 4:36 AM
Would love to be able to comment but cannot get anything but a load of flashing after the visual download screen - computer has to be control/shift/escape to use again

Go to: