Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst ™

[Post New]by jazzers1 on May 30, 11 1:31 PM
good game but frustrating that when I choose Forums in the first screen of the game nothing happens. I have to quit the game and then come here.

[Post New]by grammakim on May 31, 11 9:08 AM
I am having the same problem...very frustrating! Also am stuck on the telephone. Can't light up all the lights and there is no "skip" option. Although I like a bit of a challenge, this is getting ridiculous! Would also have preferred having a "hint" option.

Meritre
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by Meritre on Jun 24, 11 6:25 PM
I didn't care so much for the Ravenhearst one before this, but Return to Ravenhearst was really entertaining, and challenging. It was also creepy, which I rather like in these types of games. The hidden object scenes were still rather difficult, but not impossible. The whispering in the background really helped set the mood. The mini-games are varied, and the artwork is great. I'll probably be buying this one, and expect that it'll last a bit, given the demo progression.

PTSuusje
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by PTSuusje on Jun 30, 11 9:25 AM
Just finished the game and liked it a lot. Only a couple of minor grouches that other people have also mentioned - hints took a long time to reload, and often searching for the same old objects in the scenes. Also the short films at some of the links didn't load properly and the screen froze, so I had to ctrl/alt/del to get out and open the game up again. But I liked nearly all of the puzzles, though I could have done with a nudge in the right direction sometimes. I needed the walkthrough twice as I didn't spot the gingerbread house at all.

[Post New]by lunarblue49 on Jul 5, 11 2:37 AM
I think when you get stuck, there should be a place where you say I give up and they help you get unstuck so you can go to the next phase. This way if you get stuck and can't figure anything out. You're in the middle of the game that you can't finish and this makes it very unfun. I agree with the hint option. Also in the basement, I got a 100 points 4 times on hitting the gremlins and nothing happened.

Edited on 07/05/2011 at 2:40:54 AM PST

janesolo1
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by janesolo1 on Jul 17, 11 7:29 AM
I played this game when it was new at a friend's house and absolutely loved it. I am a big fan of hidden object games and have purchased and played many more, but NONE is quite as good as this one. Some come close, but no cigar - my only complaint is that some of the mini-games seem way too hard, but still, all things considered this is the best. Also, I don't believe I've played any game since that had better music!

Liasmani
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
19,504 Posts

[Post New]by Liasmani on Jul 20, 11 4:44 AM
Graphics – 3 stars
Story – 3 stars
Music/Sounds – 3 stars
Gameplay – 3 stars
Overall – 4 stars

My ratings of games can be high as 5 and can be low as 1.

Ratings Explained:

1 star: Poor
2 stars: Okay
3 stars: Good
4 stars: Great
5 stars: Excellent

MooeyG
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by MooeyG on Aug 10, 11 9:34 AM
I love this game. I posted something similar in another thread, but I thought the music was awesome. The soundtrack was offered for separate purchase, and I bought it. I think now soundtracks may be included with the Collectors Editions of new games. But I loved the story line, the graphics, the games...and the music is some of the best in any game, ever.

Audiohawk
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by Audiohawk on Aug 13, 11 11:37 PM
I knew I had to buy this game after about one minute. It looks great, but the sound is what really sets it apart. The score is wonderful and the live orchestra is beautifully recorded. Every scene has an appropriate ambience and the transitions between them are smooth. I'm not sure why the recorded VO isn't in synch with the video of the character's speech (though the subtitles are - go figure!), but otherwise this was an immersive and well-executed experience. Every hidden object game should sound this good!

chickenjools
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by chickenjools on Sep 2, 11 8:22 AM
After the never ending plethora of rave (and sometimes sycophantic) reviews I decided to try this game. Reviewers on other forums refer to RTR as the gold standard of games. I don't like hidden object scenes but accept them as an inevitable part of adventure games. The 2 hidden object scenes I've come across so far have infuriated the pants off me. The objects were dark, small, not terribly well described and I wasted too much precious time of my demo looking for them. The click penalty comes in after two false clicks and the hint button took an absolute age to recharge. Why click penalties? What do the developers think it proves? I bet they roll around laughing when they incorporate them, visualising our rage at being unable to find something. And the description often leaves very much to be desired. I spent ages looking for a club - I won't reveal what it was but it wasn't what I expected!

Yes the graphics are super duper and yes the music is marvellous but this game so far has not justified its place as the game to which all developers aspire. And wouldn't it be nice to have a game that happens in daylight hours? RTR may have been a 'wonder' when it came out but I think its old hat and dated.

Try Syberia and Syberia 2. Now they really are very special games and I long for a Syberia 3. I expect to be hauled over the coals by the army of RTR fans, of which there are a huge number, but you're all wrong. This game just isn't all that!

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Sep 2, 11 8:29 AM
Try Syberia and Syberia 2. Now they really are very special games
Agreed but you're comparing apples and pears. RTR is a very special IHOG and Syberia is a very special LFA.

Capatin
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by Capatin on Sep 8, 11 7:50 PM
Hey BFG I have a crazy idea for this game (Ravenhearst and return to Ravenhearst) because of the story line how bout making a movie out of this that way you could fill in a lot of the (hopefully there is another in this series coming soon) unanswered questions and give a deeper life to some very interesting characters just a thought from one little fishie in the BFG pond.

[Post New]by margo71142 on Sep 18, 11 6:53 PM
This game is too hard and there are no clues. I can't get past the first part, and I am NOT going to pay for the strategy guide ($6.00!). I wish I had not paid for it.

Gwhynot
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by Gwhynot on Sep 26, 11 8:26 PM
I have one comment only for this elaborate, extremely well-crafted game: Why is there no Skip option available on the arcade game? It requires very fast reflexes that I don't have, and I would have been unable to finish the game if not for this helpful forum. Other puzzles have a Skip button, and I was very annoyed that this one did not.

Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst ™

[Post New]by Pam1943 on Sep 27, 11 7:21 PM
bfgImbrium wrote:Hey Fishies! What do you think of Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst ™? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

[Post New]by darlakefun33 on Oct 1, 11 10:45 PM
Do not buy this game! Has been very frustrating! Constant freezing, install/uninstall numerous times and could not get it to work. Followed green envelop and help instructions and still won't work. Enjoyed all the previous Mystery Case Files; sad that this one sucked!

marachat
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by marachat on Oct 5, 11 4:19 AM
Number two on my all time favourite H0-game list I've played this game through many times, yet it still keeps me replaying it! I enjoy it sooo much! The story, the length, the graphics, the characters... Every bit is so good! Intriguing, interesting, mysterious... I recommend it very much!

Firefox7
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Firefox7 on Oct 22, 11 12:03 AM
I am a huge fan of this game - Yes, it *is* difficult, but that gives it plenty of playability in my book. I've played it many, many times and keep coming back, trying to improve my time, trying to do the object screens more smoothly etc. Some of the puzzles are quite difficult (although many of them have a "DOH!" factor when you suddenly realise what the trick is).
MCF consistently produce excellent games, but this is their best - I much prefer it to Dire Grove, and it's even a notch above their other classic, Madam Fate.
The Whack-A-Troll game is extremely frustrating - but - once you've completed the game once all the way through, you can avoid it when playing again, if you're smart - LOL! I'd be interested to know what other players best times are - and that's best times for the WHOLE game - doing everything from scratch, not missing out the puzzles you know the answer to - the telescopes etc!! I'm still trying to crack the 1 hour - getting close, but not there yet....

kollerkat
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by kollerkat on Oct 25, 11 11:24 AM
I like a good chalange, BUT... This game is beyond my ability. No clue help, no place to get helpfull help. Sorry I bought the dam game. I find most games fun and they fill up an old gals long day, this game has upset me. I'll be more careful what I purchase from now on. Shame on me for not trying it first and shame on you for selling the game. It is not what I expect from Big Fish.

Firefox7
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Firefox7 on Oct 27, 11 1:26 PM
Kollerkat - are you stuck anywhere specifically?

There are plenty of good walkthrough websites you can go to for help if you need it. If you start with the hidden object screen in the bush by the main gate, there is a logical progression (kind of!) from each screen to the next. Each hidden object screen will give you an object that you need later in the game (most of them not too much later).

I'd be happy to help you if there's something that's got you so flummoxed you feel like giving up - it's a really good game when you get into it... honestly!

Go to: