Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Jane Croft: The Baker Street Murder

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Nov 7, 10 10:31 AM
Oddly enough, even though I was bored silly I was surprised when the demo ended. I know that statement seems to contradict itself, but that's the way I felt. I was hopeful when the game started as you heard an old-fashion telephone ring. Another piece that gave me hope was the allusion to Sherlock Holmes...221 Baker Street. Alas, my hopes were dashed so I'm choosing to nitpick. Objects were too easy to find for me. I only used the hint button 4 or 5 times and more out of impatience than anything else. The way the victim's wife was drawn bothered me. You can start the game by clicking on continue-You shouldn't be able to do that unless you're starting a game in progress that you've saved. Graphics were fuzzy. I would think a mood can be conveyed without resorting to fuzzy graphics, but that’s just my opinion.

KathyGriggs
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by KathyGriggs on Nov 7, 10 11:16 AM
Ugly, ugly, ugly.

HasNazir
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,264 Posts

[Post New]by HasNazir on Nov 7, 10 11:20 AM
I didn't even bother dowloading it, simply because of the graphics, its so dreadful-I mean I like hidden object games to also enjoy the scenary I am in, not gritty scenes, and so would not want this one at all.Just dismal, were is the enjoyment in that?? We play games to enjoy not to depress ourselves with.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Nov 7, 10 11:35 AM
Poor graphics, boring.

pfalcioni
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by pfalcioni on Nov 7, 10 11:58 AM
Played for 20 minutes, and just had to quit. I'd feel like I was rewarding bad developer behavior by continuing!

Game type - Straight HOG with some very basic minigames thrown in. Seems like developers realized one game was too easy (match the colors in the beaker), so instead of having you do it three or four times, beakers keep appearing to match and you feel like you're never going to finish.

Story Line - Poorly developed and badly written, results you'd expect from a middle-school project requiring a story in the Film Noir genre. Many dumb segues like "I guess the crime lab is closed so I will have to do my own analysis". Yea, that happens so often.

Art - The hand-drawn characters run the gamut from neatly turned oil-painterly style to unrecognizable blobs (the victims' wife, for instance, inexplicably looking like the a cross between a forgotten white blot on the page and the hunchback of Notre-Dame). Objects in the HOG portions are just a hodge-podge of junk, like someone ate an old clip-art book and then threw it up on the screen. No rhyme or reason as far as size or clarity, some items are crisp and clear, others hazy and indistinct.

Again, Noir is what they were sort of going for here, but after the initial cut-scenes, this style is only haphazardly applied.

Hidden Object Scenes - most items are ridiculously easy to find, as they are just pasted onto the background and stand out like a sore thumb. The only difficulty came with unusually named items (bowling pin = skittle), or the occasional big thing shrunk to minuscule proportions. As noted, the hint button recharges after 1 minute.

Music - jazzy, unobtrusive.

Overall the feeling is a game slapped together cheaply and quickly overseas, with a storyline and artwork only barely adequate to make it feel like a real "game" and not just a few hidden-object scenes and cheesy puzzles stuck together to make a quick buck.

wencassi
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

VERY SHORT!

[Post New]by wencassi on Nov 7, 10 11:59 AM
I don't post often but I always read your reviews BEFORE purchasing and I made a huge mistake in buying this without checking here first. BIG MISTAKE! finished this entire game, not skipping any puzzles, in less than 2 hours. I truly thought it was going to a new chapter.....it ended. Don't waste your money on this one. If there were more cases, would have loved it.

[Post New]by catehall on Nov 7, 10 12:08 PM
Even when I don't plan to buy a game, I usually play it until the demo time runs out. So I was very surprised to actually finish the game right before the time ran out! Glad I didn't buy the game first...it's way too short and I found the game a bit boring as well. Definitely not worth $6.99, maybe not even $2.99! But an easy game to play while I'm watching Sunday football...go Saints!!

[Post New]by CalifDreaming on Nov 7, 10 12:09 PM
I agree w/most of what has been noted about this game. It ended so abruptly, I felt as though I had been sucker punched.
I came to the forum hoping to find this was actually the 2nd of a trilogy, not that either. Crap.
If I had to do over, I would not have used a game credit for this. I got caught up in the storyline even though it was choppy. That's why I thought I had walked into the middle of a story.

katbear50
Clownfish
Clownfish
551 Posts

[Post New]by katbear50 on Nov 7, 10 12:26 PM
Was very unimpressed by this one.
There's no "I" in this "HOG" to speak of.
You go directly from "****" scene to "****" scene.
Boring repetition,and short.
Ends too quickly with a TBC out of the blue.
I, too, wasted a Credit

Edited on 11/07/2010 at 12:27:54 PM PST

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Nov 7, 10 1:09 PM
Based strictly on Reviews.

No buy. Straight HOG. Short.

Look again when it becomes the DD...

cpurcell
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by cpurcell on Nov 7, 10 1:11 PM
I totally agree the game was not worth the money, too short and hate the end kept waiting for something else to show up,like I say a waste of money,

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Nov 7, 10 2:04 PM
[A boring HOG.. I am waiting for something that will say Buy ME.. I guess once your play games that really pop... it's hard to settle for something like this.. Where are the Big Games that are all in BETA?

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on Nov 7, 10 2:30 PM
This was a game that for me came close to being really good but just quite didn't make it. The graphics were not that appealing to me although I did appreciate that most objects were not hard to find,a good thing as the hint system is very slow. I also appreciated the large lettering of the dialogue and the story line seemed to be quite interesting. It was interesting to me that the heroine rather than being very attractive as is usually the case was in my opinion downright homely. The thing thoough for me that was the turn off was there was no variety to the game, just list after list of things to find. I only came across two mini games and didn't care for either of them. There is a click penalty but only after many misclicks at which time the cursor simply drops to the bottom of the screen for a minute or two. This game may appeal to die hard hog fans but I don't think it will have wide appeal.

Poof11
Clownfish
Clownfish
503 Posts

[Post New]by Poof11 on Nov 7, 10 2:46 PM
Well just finished the demo and boy am I glad we are able to do a 1 hour demo. What junk! How many times do you have to beat the guy in the first mini game to move forward? I finally had to skip.....once the dang thing finally filled the meter....I just kept getting "must be beginners luck....Let me try another." No, I beat you, move on with the game. I also could not figure out the lab one either, I just kept filling bottles over and over and going nowhere. Skip.
I can see why the deceased had so many mistresses all over the place. Did you see the 5 o'clock shadow on the wife? She really could use a shave.
I have to admit that this is the first time I have every seen Urinal Cakes listed in the hidden objects list. I did get a chuckle out of that one .
I must agree with fellow fishies who have posted before me......No buy... ....save your & .
Now back to the Eagles game!

[Post New]by Lauradelenn on Nov 7, 10 2:55 PM
pfalcioni wrote:Played for 20 minutes, and just had to quit. I'd feel like I was rewarding bad developer behavior by continuing!

Game type - Straight HOG with some very basic minigames thrown in. Seems like developers realized one game was too easy (match the colors in the beaker), so instead of having you do it three or four times, beakers keep appearing to match and you feel like you're never going to finish.

Story Line - Poorly developed and badly written, results you'd expect from a middle-school project requiring a story in the Film Noir genre. Many dumb segues like "I guess the crime lab is closed so I will have to do my own analysis". Yea, that happens so often.

Art - The hand-drawn characters run the gamut from neatly turned oil-painterly style to unrecognizable blobs (the victims' wife, for instance, inexplicably looking like the a cross between a forgotten white blot on the page and the hunchback of Notre-Dame). Objects in the HOG portions are just a hodge-podge of junk, like someone ate an old clip-art book and then threw it up on the screen. No rhyme or reason as far as size or clarity, some items are crisp and clear, others hazy and indistinct.

Again, Noir is what they were sort of going for here, but after the initial cut-scenes, this style is only haphazardly applied.

Hidden Object Scenes - most items are ridiculously easy to find, as they are just pasted onto the background and stand out like a sore thumb. The only difficulty came with unusually named items (bowling pin = skittle), or the occasional big thing shrunk to minuscule proportions. As noted, the hint button recharges after 1 minute.

Music - jazzy, unobtrusive.

Overall the feeling is a game slapped together cheaply and quickly overseas, with a storyline and artwork only barely adequate to make it feel like a real "game" and not just a few hidden-object scenes and cheesy puzzles stuck together to make a quick buck.

I was going to post something similar to the above, but it's been said already. This was DEFINITELY a sub-par game. I couldn't even bring myself to play the entire one hour demo.

Poorly done graphics, objects that are in places that make no sense and no 'reward' for completing a scene of even every other scene; you've no idea if you've found anything of importance or if you've advanced in the game at all. Just awful!

[Post New]by Mephibosheth on Nov 7, 10 3:11 PM
Well... 59 minutes, and I finished the game. The story was blah. There were so many ways that this game could have gone, and there were so many "loose threads" left undone.

The extra content was disturbing to anyone who is concerned about violence. It's basically a shoot-out. Imagine Duck Hunt if the ducks had guns and shoot back. Not exactly my cup of tea.

The objects were fairly easy to find, but some of the clues were obscure. It turns out that a "drill motor" means a motorized or electric drill (corded, no less!) If you have played the trial, you have pretty much played the entire game.

Definitely a no-buy for me. Replayability is nil. Dialogue is stilted. No voice acting. Music is unmemorable. Good way to waste an hour, but no more than that.

Betsy46
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by Betsy46 on Nov 7, 10 3:59 PM
In general, I like HOG's. That said, I didn't care for this game. I don't mind that the characters are drawn in a certain way. I don't like finding objects in a hazy fuzzy scene. Even when they are not difficult to find, they irritate me - guess I'm getting too old! They just hurt my eyes. For me, definitely not worth 6.99.

sparkers2005
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by sparkers2005 on Nov 7, 10 4:11 PM
very boring. no buy here

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Nov 7, 10 4:22 PM
Guess I am more of a HOG player, I liked it. I can do IHOG, hate FROGS and a story is a must for me.. I liked it.. as long as I have a little more time left from where I stopped I will buy.. if not I would definitely buy as a DD. Seems I always like the ones most hate lol. Anyway I hope they keep making HOGs with stories and mini-games that are unique (this one had a few I have never seen in other HOGs) for those who enjoy them... no getting stuck or using walkthrough here!

Happy Gaming everyone!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 7, 10 6:18 PM
Well, it might have been a okay game, but I finished it with 1 minutes to spare on the demo. Way too short. Story wise, it just sort of left you hanging. Didn't care for this one at all.

Go to: