lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Sherlock Holmes: The Hound of the Baskervilles

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Nov 11, 10 9:11 AM
I agree elldee2728.... A 'game' does not have to match a real world novel precisely. I welcome the freedom of creative license from game makers. Many times, by doing so, they resurrect a dusty old story long forgotten, and breath life into it, in a new exciting way. For others to character judge and assassinate others for their prerogative in game choice is ridiculous, not to mention way off. Many gamers play a wide variety of games, from extremely hard to silly easy. Depends on their mood, and what type of genre they prefer to play at any given moment. Maybe one day, less 'sophisticated' individuals will learn how to give a review without hitting below the belt of others. When they do, they can expect a swift rebuttal.

Just my 2 cents.

P.S. Glad to see another Kindle reader!

Edited on 11/11/2010 at 9:15:42 AM PST

bfgArnoStyx
Stingray
Stingray
5,877 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArnoStyx on Nov 11, 10 9:11 AM
Hey Fishies,

Ya'll are so speedy with the reviews! I'm going to go ahead and sticky this thread for you. Thanks!

-bfgArnoStyx

nanaseaweed
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

[Post New]by nanaseaweed on Nov 11, 10 9:14 AM
Hi, I thought I would stop playing to tell you what I think of this game. I have been playing for over an hour now. I bought it. It fills up my whole screen and it has my computers resolution, 1600x900, to see things with. I chose casual and the game is moving right along. I like Casual to get to know the game and the flow of things. So far it has been relaxing. There's all kinds of signals to help move you along and of course there is the SG. The graphics seem clear, and the characters are appropriate. I like CE's and love the new price!

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Nov 11, 10 9:20 AM
in europe,there is,for the happy good taxes payers we are,what they named TVA(in french) VAT for english speakers,and it is for the games a taxe of 29°/° if i don't make error!
for those who are crying because it is not the original sherlock holmes story:silver earing was not,and the mummy ,and awakening,all these stories were not originals!and if the story had be the original one,i would not have bought it,because i know it,and i know how it ends!the choice to make casual game insteed of adventure game make that much people can play it!now,adventure games in europe are about 40 to 45 euros(in dollars 1/3 more!)very much people can't pay that for just a game!even if it takes 10 to 15 hours to finish it
fishes,play the demo and make your own mind!

Edited on 11/11/2010 at 9:21:11 AM PST

geri_mac
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by geri_mac on Nov 11, 10 9:22 AM
I was going to wait until tomorrow to buy as I have a day off but played the demo and couldnt wait, the game looks awesome

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Nov 11, 10 9:23 AM
Holy carp, 29% sales tax?!? That's criminal.

lilyf
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
4 Posts

[Post New]by lilyf on Nov 11, 10 9:24 AM
OMG! I was planning on doing some other chores today, being as how I'm off for Veteran's Day, but once I started this fantastic game, I didn't want to quit.

I've been playing for 3 hours and am about halfway through. I'm playing the easy version and taking my time. I've only skipped one puzzle and used the hint twice. The twinkles have also helped. I like games where there is more playing than deep thinking. I like the CE because of the strategy guide being so convenient, but I wouldn't have purchased it for the regular price.

If you like lots of play, fairly easy puzzles, and easy to see hidden objects, get this game!

lilyf

sunloving
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by sunloving on Nov 11, 10 9:25 AM
I always read your reviews before buying, so appreciate those of you who immediately play a game and write about it. I just finished the demo and was surprised the time had flown so quickly. That's always a good sign. I did the Easy and earned the two shield things for two paintings without using any hints, strategy guide, or skipping any puzzles. I hope the hard version is truly more difficult.

I love IHOGs and HOG, but am fussy about the appropriateness of the objects. This one stays in the time period and I love this type of hand-drawn game. Good job. I don't like mystical/time period in novels or games, but the game itself is so well done, I'll overlook that downside. It's a buy for me, even though it's a CE. Hope it's worth the $$. So far it seems to be.

SoManyCrimes
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by SoManyCrimes on Nov 11, 10 9:29 AM
<edit> My mistake. Not reading carefully enough. Sorry lilTweet7, I found the comment you were referring to, and removed my earlier reply.

Anyway I finally finished. I enjoyed the game a lot, although the story really wasn't my thing. I stand by my assertion that if you're coming to it because you love Holmes then you'll be disappointed, at least initially. That doesn't mean you won't like the game for any number of other reasons but Holmes it ain't.

Edited on 11/11/2010 at 9:59:29 AM PST

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Nov 11, 10 9:47 AM
snapnhiss wrote:Holy carp, 29% sales tax?!? That's criminal. [

And what will the proposed VAT tax be if passed in the U.S.?

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Nov 11, 10 9:52 AM
joyce2121 wrote:
snapnhiss wrote:Holy carp, 29% sales tax?!? That's criminal. ]

And what will the proposed VAT tax be if passed in the U.S.?

I didn't know there was a proposed US VAT for computer games. Would it be a federal or state tax? Because most state tax isn't over 7%, am I right?

Edited on 11/11/2010 at 10:26:33 AM PST

vadasgirl5
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,006 Posts

[Post New]by vadasgirl5 on Nov 11, 10 10:11 AM
I'm so excited! I was hoping for a new game today with everyone gone to the Veterans Day Parade and festivities (my ole legs aren't up to it) I will now have a great way to spend the day. I jumped in here and checked out what Casualgran and Goofyduck had to say.. (if they approved - I usually like the same games) went and downloaded the game played a bit and now am back to buy. It looks like a really good game and I'm sure It will take me all day - I like to look around a bit especially when the graphics are this good. Thanks for the good reviews it sure helps me decided to try or not. Happy gaming everybody I'm sure I will be with this game. Thanks BFG!

vadasgirl5
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,006 Posts

[Post New]by vadasgirl5 on Nov 11, 10 10:14 AM
Duh! i always wondered where you guys came up with all the little smiley faces. I guess I was always to nervous posting to notice

djrum525
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,389 Posts

[Post New]by djrum525 on Nov 11, 10 10:15 AM
Finished the demo and it's a buy for me. In the Options menu-custom cursor is available. Along with a Voice Volume with an actual voice. You can choose your difficulty level, easy or hard. For the demo, I chose easy.
Based on the demo in easy mode, I found the game a little too easy for me. When I enter a scene, I like to take my time. I noticed that certain objects in a room would blatantly let me know they were there. I felt I was being kind of rushed. Sparkles are included and that's the first thing I head for when they're present!
Graphics are good. So are the puzzles. Hidden object scenes-no trouble finding objects. There is a map so you can go to your desired area quicker. I guess I like wandering around, being nosy because I didn't use the map. When you find a certain object, you may be asked "Do you want to go to such and such room?" Ummm...I believe I'll find it eventually, give me some time!!
Needless to say, I've restarted in the hard mode!!
I like the different awards given for completing scenes! Always makes me want to strive harder for that perfect game.
No tech problems so far. Although I did lose some dialogue at the start of the game.
Sometimes, one's mouth would move when the other was talking. Kinda funny as I didn't know who was Holmes or Watson or Baskerville. Figured Holmes was the one with the pipe.
Doesn't follow the book, doesn't bother me! I play games to enjoy, not for a history lesson!
Back to playing for me!

vadasgirl5
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,006 Posts

[Post New]by vadasgirl5 on Nov 11, 10 10:16 AM
oops!

Edited on 11/11/2010 at 10:20:35 AM PST

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Nov 11, 10 10:25 AM
A couple of observations about the game so far the voice over for Holmes seems to be the same as the one used in the Awakening also Holmes would never call Henry Baskerville Henry he would call him Sir Henry if you read the original story. But I really like this game it gets a big 5

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Nov 11, 10 10:30 AM
SoManyCrimes:

... I read nothing personally insulting to others in your post. You provided a very constructive, objective & subjective opinion, which you and everyone else is entitled to... at least in the 'free' world. I think a couple of us, were referring to another post... at least I was.

Nothing wrong with 'constructive' negative opinions & reviews, in my opinion, but with tact, in not insulting others on a personal or general level. I don't know why people feel the need to do that? These are games, not purpose of life issues, etc.

When I see others attacked or insulted by others (even by what appears to be by passive-aggressive means), I see red. I dislike bullies & often eat them for lunch, then regurgitate them out.

Edited on 11/11/2010 at 10:41:30 AM PST

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Nov 11, 10 10:31 AM
"goofyduck: You do not have a custom cursor option but you do have a resolution option, voice volume and the regulars, and also a “gamma” slider"

Bless you! Bless you! Bless you for mentioning the Gamma option!
I ran to try the game again, after I gave it up, and now I already bought it!!! I wish all the games should have this option - it increases the light and contrast of the screen. Usually I do it manually myself, when the screen is too dark.

Thanks again, Goofyduck!!!

debdeb11
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by debdeb11 on Nov 11, 10 11:05 AM
sinshack wrote:
Marissa707 wrote:Love it( so far)! Bought after 10 min. demo-play.

Anyway, talking about price: $17.49 incl. tax. Not really $13.99, is it?

So glad because this game has a gamma regulator, makes all the dark corners visible.

Happy Gaming to y'all.

Marissa, are you in the United States? If not, it's probably the difference in currency, and the $13.99 is the member price in U.S. dollars. The U.S. dollar is not equal to other country's dollars, so if you are in Canada or another country that uses your own dollars it wouldn't be the exact same price. And we don't pay tax, either.

That's not a Canadian price. Our Canadian dollar is at par with the USA dollar at present. Either way, we purchase from Big Fish using American dollars so the price is the same for us as for you; currrency conversion only takes place afterwards by the company with which we used to make the purchase i.e. Paypal, credit card co. As for tax, I am charged 98 cents by BigFish for a $13.99 game. So not sure why Marissa's charge is so high, but definitely not due to purchase in Canada.

lauramarie8
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Sherlock Holmes: The Hound of the Baskervilles

[Post New]by lauramarie8 on Nov 11, 10 11:31 AM
goofyduck77 wrote:Wow - if you love iHOG’s, you will LOVE this one. In the hour I played, I saw the graphics: gorgeous (a little bit dark but not so much you can't see - and atmospheric filtering lights into the room, and for depiction of the various scenes); the music: very appropriate and mysterious; story: Compelling and not to be skipped. I didn’t read Hound of the Baskervilles so I don’t know how accurate the story is, but I enjoyed it all the same.

You do not have a custom cursor option but you do have a resolution option, voice volume and the regulars, and also a “gamma” slider - I have no idea what that is for. Maybe somebody else knows? You have a choice between Easy and Hard, the easy being tutorial help, additional hints, fast recharge, easy puzzles, easy hidden object scenes. And hard? Not.

The extra touches are wonderful, e.g., the special effects and little details you don’t notice right away, but add so much to the game. There are “honors” to be earned for doing various things, e.g., finding 3 objects in 3 seconds, clearing a hidden object scene in less than one minute, etc. And you can see the honors from the journal in the bottom left-hand corner which opens up to a map, and then clicking on the twinkling button at the top left. In the honors “room”, it lets you know how much time you’ve spent on the game thus far. There are 32 honors to be earned.

It works the same way as most iHog’s do, find things, pick them up, examine scenes for puzzles, areas to place inventory items, etc. There are a few things a little different about this game. The beginning indicates you need to find the shields for each portrait of a member of the family, and there are seven shields. After placing a completed shield, you place it on the portrait and it releases a special “power” which is stored around the hint button, which recharges after 25 seconds. There are 6 powers to be had. But the pieces of the shields are not the only things you are collecting. You are also collecting pieces of gears, keys, paintings, signs, schemes, etc., which makes it a little more intricate than most iHogs. I had a lot of inventory items by the time the demo ended. You need the “power” (the first one I got was “strength”) to use in areas to find things.

The mini-puzzles weren’t that hard because, of course, I was in “easy mode”. But you can skip after 2 minutes. You also collected “eyes” (not gruesome - I promise), which were placed in a mounted, uh, wolf? – continued --

Go to: