brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Antiques Roadshow

[Post New]by brookings on Nov 12, 10 8:25 PM
shawna505 wrote:[removed by moderator] This game isnt that bad but you follow the heard mentality and let a few people dictate what you think. You wont even try a game because someone else didnt like it? Obviously some people didnt try it very long...one mentioned the music being honky tonk...its only like that on the first level, other levels have different music...[removed by moderator].This game is not that hard at all.

Well Shawn, instead of playing games, perhaps you should return to school.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Nov 12, 10 9:08 PM
Gee, I really, really wanted to like this game as it sounded interesting. However, after ten minutes, I gave up. The items are extremely small and when you pack a room full of them, it is very difficult to find what you are looking for. I was thrilled to see the hint button refreshed quickly, but it still didn't help. In the first scene you have to find a ladder, which is near impossible to find. I used the hint button twice and clicked all around the area and STILL couldn't find it. Also, after three wrong clicks, even if they are random, you get penalized by the screen getting cloudy and you have to clean it with a rag.

If I could ever get past the ladder stage and I was feeling extremely patient, I might try this game again, but not any time soon. Sorry.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 12, 10 9:08 PM
Some people are on limited download time with their IPs, or on dialup which takes forever just to load a demo. So, to simply say trial it yourself, don't follow the crowd is sometime just writing off gamers who read these reviews/comments and depend on information before buying or taking up precious download time they are paying for.

For those with time and highspeed unlimited cable, do as I do, try anything if you got time. Sometimes there are nice surprises especially with genres you normally wouldn't look at, it can be a lot of fun.

For those who cannot afford time to demo before buying, please read both pros and cons. Or better yet, wait a day or two and read further pages by those who have played the full version. Unless a game has been around awhile, most the first kneejerk responders are within the first hour or so of release and demo or partial demo only. I've wasted money on getting hyped up on rushes to judgement. I read a lot more comments now than I used to. I do appreciate those who qualify themselves as far as genre preference or expertise level, or what OS they play on. I'm buying about anything now if widescreen on W7 works is mentioned. Yup buying new Sherlock Holmes which may be way to difficult for me, but looks GREAT as does Phantom of Opera on laptop So, am putting money into CEs now for the strategy guides. I wouldn't even have demoed those before.

Thanks everyone for your contributions of time and insights and information.

CLEMONSTWAIN
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by CLEMONSTWAIN on Nov 12, 10 10:15 PM
As a big fan of Antique Roadshow TV series, I was pleased to Beta test this for BF a short time ago. In Beta mode I had issues with the game. Specifically, the ladder, the small items and the code on the music box. Eventually the ladder magically appeared, I located the tiny items with random clicks, frequently using hints and sadly never advanced beyond the mini-puzzle with the music box which required a code be broken. It was extremely frustrating but I felt the developers would iron out the Beta bugs before releasing the game as a "finished" product.
Fade forward to this evening. I discovered Antiques Roadshow offered as a "finished" game and quickly downloaded the Demo. I assumed the glitches had been corrected and anticipated purchasing the tweaked product after my demo time expired. I've learned the hard way to play the Demo AND read the forum reviews before spending my $ or credit on a game.
I have returned to the forum three times tonight needing and finding assistance from my BF fishie pals. Unfortunately, I find myself, once again, unable to advance beyond the music box mini-puzzle.
The game has potential and I'm sure folks with 20/20 vision and a degree in cryptology will find it an interesting challenge. For me, I'll pass and hope the developers listen to our suggestions and consider the sales of a popular product vs a "niche" product. I look forward to Antiques Roadshow Version 2.
After this, I'm off for a relaxing game of Mahjong.

gemmabloom
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by gemmabloom on Nov 12, 10 10:19 PM
I really wish developers would learn the difference between hidden objects and objects so infinitesimal that they can't be seen with the naked eye. I thought the premise of this game would be cute, but threw in the towel after 15 or 20 minutes of needle-in-the-haystack. A definite thumbs down from me.

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Nov 12, 10 10:56 PM
Well, I only got to play for 20 minutes (more on this below) - and in silence as I had no sound. What I did play, I did enjoy though I do feel some of the objects are unnecessarily difficult to locate. Many are either small or obstructed by other objects. I do like the theme of the game - you are out hunting for specific antiques, and in doing so, you are are checking out new objects as well. You are given lists of antiques and then are sent to a location to check it out. Each scene that I did had an interactive part required to access additional room locations, where you would find yet other items. During the time I played, I found the music box (good thing the game pointed it out to me because even then (game tells you where on the screen to look), I wasn't seeing it. I also located a special item from the list - the robe. You are told you must find an accompanying item (in this case a scroll, which they inform you about). Not sure how a scroll ties in with a robe, but then I was given a restoring kit. At this point, suddenly the music in the game kicked in and my game promptly crashed. Just "this game is no longer working" message. I exited and restarted the game, and same thing, all was fine until the music started to play and then "this game is no longer working". I guess it's silence or nothing at all. Went back in again, and disabled the music best I could (not sure if was disabling or just turning volume way down) - upon entering the music still played (same volume) and the game crashed yet again. I actually was having fun playing so it's a shame the game will not work for me.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 12, 10 11:14 PM
Come to think of it, my game crashed once too, same msg game is not working. Don't recall if it had to do with music which I was enjoying with my headphones once past the first longggg scene loop with piano roll. But then the icon was down on my desktop taskbar, I clicked it and the game resumed where I was. So it is a quirky game, I have not read the tech issues yet and usually read those before a demo too. I have many times held off buying til tech issues look resolved. Lucky if they happen early in the game. It is mostly since W7 64bit that I test them all an hour now to find any. Just still one I bought won't open and no fix yet, altho first hour ran great, bought, then won't open at all but says still running, the Columbus stone spirit one. Must write cs for a credit, still won't open on new laptop either.

Edited on 11/12/2010 at 11:20:07 PM PST

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Nov 13, 10 1:16 AM
shawna505 wrote:[removed by moderator] This game isnt that bad but you follow the heard mentality and let a few people dictate what you think. You wont even try a game because someone else didnt like it? Obviously some people didnt try it very long...one mentioned the music being honky tonk...its only like that on the first level, other levels have different music...[removed by moderator].This game is not that hard at all.

shawna505--although I may be a bit hypocritical here, this forum is for reviews of the GAME, not for casting dispersions on other folks' GAME critiques. "This game isn't that bad" and "This game is not that hard at all" probably won't help gamers decide one way or the other. A thoughtful, decently-worded review (even if only based on the demo) is what most of us look for here.

So, your first "splash" in the pond got the moderator's attention, huh? First impressions tell a lot (BTW, it's "herd" (not "heard") mentality).

HasNazir
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,264 Posts

[Post New]by HasNazir on Nov 13, 10 1:35 AM
Wow, they actually made an Antiques Roadshow game (never watch the show). All I can say is they certainly cater for all tastes here.

Jadakiss2000
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

[Post New]by Jadakiss2000 on Nov 13, 10 6:55 PM
Just finished the game and it looks like we're on our way to England. Stay tuned.....

OK. I made it through the game fairly well. Only used a few hints. The tasks puzzles such as dusting off antiques and putting documents of authenticiy together got a little harder as they decreased your time limit. But no worries, I only lost a few thousand dollars for not finishing those.

You have to train your eyes to look for partial pieces of an item such as a shovel. You have to know what a shovel handle looks like to find it quickly. Once my eyes got trained on this and knowing they had to look for smaller items....I had no problems finding items at all. I did enjoy this game and the storyline. I will probable get the sequel as well.

Edited on 11/13/2010 at 6:56:14 PM PST

[Post New]by CalifDreaming on Nov 13, 10 7:20 PM
I just finished "Antiques Roadshow" & would like to comment.
#1. The code is quite easy once you get it. Each piece has a Letter & Number code. Set the number dial to the letter, the dial can no longer be turned. Go to each number after the "Code Key" & press the corresponding letter. The letter will light up & the hand will go to the paper w/lines & write down that letter. I had a problem w/the 1st one until the old lightbulb went off. OH!
#2. I did have a problem w/some of the mini games, but when they explained about the antique, I didn't care that I ran out of time.
#3. Yes, the objects are small, hidden, & in dark corners. I'm sure if anyone is hunting antiques in empty attics, houses, bldgs., mines, etc., they would run into the same thing. The one GREAT thing I liked was that I didn't need to walk into dark areas & use a flashlight to find the items.
#4. My big complaint is that after a while I felt I was watching a commercial for "Antiques Roadshow". Yes, I know the game is from WPGH & BBC, however I got very tired of how long it took to get to the "good part"-finding out about the antique at the show.
#5. I don't think age is a factor when playing games. If you like HOG's, give this a try. You might be surprised. I will probably turn off the sound & skip most dialogue when I play it again.

bonbon663
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by bonbon663 on Nov 14, 10 5:33 AM
I didn't like this game at all! I found the objects waaaay to difficult to find. I'm all up for a challenge, but, really, when things are obscured, it's not a challenge anymore, it's just a frustrating pain in the ****. Definitely not a buy for me. Too bad too, I was hoping I would like it.

svtlcsw
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by svtlcsw on Nov 14, 10 6:05 AM
I'm really enjoying this game, unlike a lot of folks. Even the mini games are quick and easy and fun. I am playing it in untimed mode, so I don't mind having to look for items for a long time and use the hint as needed. The hint recharges a bit slow, but it does recharge.....

The scenes are attractive and interesting, even if they are dark. I finally resorted to a magnifying glass for a couple of them.

I do want to learn how it all comes out, even though right now I seem to be stuck in Wyoming. Will have to figure out why, since I've found all the items, it won't move on.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 14, 10 3:13 PM
Well, this could easily have been a very nice game, but a lot of the items are impossible to find without using the hint button. They are hidden behind items that cannot be moved, so you can't see them at all. Yes, the ladder was one I used the hint buttton on. By the time I finished the hour demo, I had a headache. Too bad, it was fun. Not for me either.

letsdoit
Shark
Shark
10,483 Posts

[Post New]by letsdoit on Nov 15, 10 1:06 PM
Jadakiss2000 wrote:Just finished the game and it looks like we're on our way to England. Stay tuned.....

OK. I made it through the game fairly well. Only used a few hints. The tasks puzzles such as dusting off antiques and putting documents of authenticiy together got a little harder as they decreased your time limit. But no worries, I only lost a few thousand dollars for not finishing those.

You have to train your eyes to look for partial pieces of an item such as a shovel. You have to know what a shovel handle looks like to find it quickly. Once my eyes got trained on this and knowing they had to look for smaller items....I had no problems finding items at all. I did enjoy this game and the storyline. I will probable get the sequel as well.

i demo'ed...i played...i used a coupon punch to buy...got into game...exit...had some chores...will go back...I LUV'ED IT....watch the show on tv....yes usually find antiques in a junk area...o.k....puzzle mini games had u thinking....yes ladder was a little flustrated....but hint hint hint...forgot where i am off to next trip...but is quite a buy for me....later...

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Nov 17, 10 2:28 PM
before i read all the 'lovely' things everyone has posted so far...

here's what i think:

i hated the music, but know that's the deal with roadshow, so i just turned it way down - not totally silent because i have to have a little noise and didn't have the radio/TV on... and some of the objects were d@mned near impossible to find! and when i got to the bayou... eewww i could feel the air closing in and the mosquitoes just waiting to sink their teeth into me... spending part of my childhood in a swamp - i just didn't like the atmosphere of that scene... i also didn't like having to use a sledgehammer to get into the shed in the first location... i mean, weren't we invited to come to this house and look for junk... why are we suddenly breaking in to this shed?? makes me more than little nervous...

i did like finding cool stuff and restoring it - like in the yardsale games oh, how i miss those... and it was fun to have the banter of the roadshow host over the finished item... the ease of traveling and actually having the choice of sticking around to find the 'supporting' provenance instead of being whisked out of a scene... that reminded me of the mystery PI games... and the little puzzle with the photo fragments is a very interesting mini-game to introduce the next stage of the 'hunt'

all in all, though, i have a feeling that this is simply too short and with little replay value to merit an investment... i was able to complete half of the photo in the demo time and was on my way to a gold mine in nevada... frankly, a gold mine sounds very exciting, but how far do i have left to travel after that??

also - did anyone notice that in the bayou every other item was an alligator or a bottle of johnny walker?? just what are they trying to say??

overall, i rate it fair [2 out of 5]

next roadshow needs to be abroad!

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Nov 18, 10 12:11 PM
Not only were many of the items too small but IMO the graphics were crappy. No buy for me.

exmarine
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by exmarine on Nov 20, 10 2:22 AM
BABS710 wrote:sad.felt like i wasted my entire trial time on one dumb game. screen froze every time it came to decoding the stupid box.wanted so bad to like the game like i do the show

exmarine
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by exmarine on Nov 20, 10 2:28 AM
it did not freeze up you move the inner wheel to now look at the code there will be a code like like 24z move the inner wheel and put the number 24 next to the z it will flash now if there is a code like 24-13-4 look for 24 and touch the number or letter and a hand will come out and put that letter then go to 13 and hit the letter and a hand will come out and so on and so on do the same with all the codes also people go to gamezebo and in the green line at the top look for the walkthrough and hit it then scrool down and you will see different pictures and where to look for them hope this helps a lot of people who were stuck sorry i forgot to tell you on the right side put antique roadshow then scrool down sorry. dale here

Edited on 11/20/2010 at 2:35:41 AM PST

biscuit99
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by biscuit99 on Nov 25, 10 6:40 PM
I am in the cave. Need to find the brooch (highlighted in red).
I have to pick from the "item" list to find the hidden brooch, but
none of the items work. Logic tells me to use the flashlight, but
i've used every item and none of them works. That's what "hint"
tells me to do. I am stuck!

Go to: