thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Fiction Fixers: The Curse of OZ

[Post New]by thistle809 on Nov 21, 10 1:25 PM
The graphics are gorgeous (like the first Fiction Fixers), the music and voice acting are good; but the developers did not give the storyline the depth and detail of the first one. I played the demo on the developer's website a few days ago, and when I checked the walkthrough here at BFG to see how far I had gotten after 60 minutes; I was approximately half finished. I did play on the Easy mode and used a couple of hints, but that still seems rather short for playing time. It is a lot of fun, but I am not sure I want to use a game credit for something with so little playing time. I guess I would give it out of 5.

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on Nov 21, 10 1:29 PM
I was very excited to see this game today especially for all those upset about too many CEs. The game was fun but not challenging to me. The HOG scenes are crisp and clear, items very easy to spot. FROG items were also easy to find it took all of about 1 minute. Click, find a part, click again find another part just because you had already been at that scene and saw the item earlier. I'm pretty sure the size of the download has to do with all the graphics( which are really nice and not the length of the play. I finished the demo at chapter 6 with 9 minutes to spare and I'm not extremely brilliant and I do look around and read everything. The walkthrough is very nice (thanks for the hard work prpldva ) but I didn't need it, only went to look at it after playing to determine how far along I was. The map was a real nice add for the game. I like a little more game play after the demo than it looks like I would get. So passing on this one. For sure will buy as DD but I know I would have buyer's remorse if I got this one. JMO and to all who purchase and/or liked it a lot, have lots of fun

JessF
Clownfish
Clownfish
773 Posts

[Post New]by JessF on Nov 21, 10 1:32 PM
I will also be passing on this one. Too easy. After 40 minutes I'm crossing the river - almost at Oz. I might consider it as a DD - my grandchildren would like it.

The most positive thing I can say is at least I can play it! It is sad to hear how much better Alice was. I was one of the many fishies who could not get past the basement.

Happy gaming to those who are enjoying it.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Nov 21, 10 2:19 PM
Didn't care for the game, it just seemed so... felt like a beginner game?? It was all too easy, or at least as far as I got?? Didn't play the Alice in Wonderland game.

Kimmy1971
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by Kimmy1971 on Nov 21, 10 2:20 PM
I enjoyed the demo so much that.. well there went on credit... I will try it on hard as well...gotta keep me occupied till MCF

missy12
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,263 Posts

[Post New]by missy12 on Nov 21, 10 2:24 PM
can,t wait to try it

JudyAlex
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by JudyAlex on Nov 21, 10 3:21 PM
I played the demo, bought the game, and finished it quickly. I agree with many of you that the first one was better than this Fixer game. So, I hope the developer will read all of these and take that into account when they design the next game.....by the way, what happened to the people in the town.....seems like an unnecessary scene unless there was a way to revive them.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Nov 21, 10 3:37 PM
thank you prpdiva...um sorry if I mis-spelled your name. I really needed a kick in the pants this morning and you helped.
Ok, played the demo and just got as far as finding the scarecrow and "fixing" him.
The graphics are kind of grey. When I started the game and everything looked black and white I was fiquring on everything turning bright and colourful once dorothy hit Oz. Well, it did and it didn't. It looked very bright when the door was opened to Oz but once you get into the gameplay of the HOG's it gets darker...perhaps the Witch of the East done did that...anyway, it appears your in the same HOG site over and over looking for different things or all the HOGS so far look like a junk pile in the bushes, nto sure. Definately a junk pile.
I'm starting to get a little help with the game via the map (which is great but not as wonderful as Phantom's), the asking dorothy what to do is nuts so far..she just keeps telling you to stay on the yellow brink road. Well, I"m trying to darn it! But crows( use your new buddy) or whatever keep getting in the way. She really is of no help at all so far. I keep saying so far since I'm just starting and the demo is over.
The sound effects are fine, but you wish for a "little" bit of the music as you go along.Little being the central word. There has been some great soundtracks on some of these CE games , like Phantom, and this one calls for a little creativity in that arena.
The voice overs are ok, a wee slow but they don't make your teeth grind.
The art work is a B+, not an A like Opera, but middling to better. I'm kinda sensative to artwork and some of these games are entralling in the oil painting done. This one was done quicker with fewer life like scenes, The art work doesn't pull from the game but it doesn't add either.
So, I think this game is a buy for me, inspite of my slowness at the beginning. It looks a wee short but I'm so slow its ok.. For you fast players, I'm concerned with the length of it..for you it may be a DD.
Chris

adddendum: we had a little difficulty this morning with the forum but we got around it. I just finished the game and was a wee bit disappointed. Wait for the DD you all. It's a cute little game, pretty well sticks to the OZ plot, perhaps too much, although they added a real baddie who will show up again. But the minigames were just ok, and I found myself clicking through the HOG sections out of boredom. Not good,
Chris

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Nov 21, 10 3:43 PM
I really didn't care for it. The graphics are a little bland for me. It seems too linear (I like to walk around a bit and have 2 or 3 different things going at once. It seemed like you find a crowbar/ use a crowbar immediately. The puzzles seemed way too easy ( no, this is not a feeble attempt at bragging. I can barely get my profile entered in a LFG not alone actually play them! ) One of the first puzzles I encountered was catch the 7 cows before the tornado gets them......I sat there 10 min. waiting to see what that dang tornado was going to do with them cows!...........nothing happened ,boy,did I feel dumb or what. Why, it wasn't any harder to catch them cows then it was to net them butterflies and put them in the right spot based on their color in the "Dora" game. (which,by the way,I nailed in 1.5 hrs. ! The slider puzzle was pretty easy also ( but I like sliders)
Seriously,I think I'll pass and hope tomorrow brings something I like better.
Dr.good
p.s. thanks cherbtoo,peglegann,puzzledone and everyone else for getting a game forum up and running. You're all sweethearts!!

p.p.s. Thanks Ann for teaching me how to move a post. I'm awestruck! What will they think of next.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Nov 21, 10 5:08 PM
Much better game for $6.99 than the $13.99 Collectors Edition game, Fear for Sale. The graphics are excellent and there is conversation between the characters. My only complaint is that are too many Hidden Object screens. However, this isn't so bad when you combined the great graphics and adventure aspect to the game. I would rather pay $13.99 for this game than the one currently being offered. Big Fish needs to step up to the plate. Not too many good games recently. I usually go through my free games in two weeks. I still have two more to use up. Can't find anything worth playing this month. I love this series with the Fiction Fixers. Liked the last one with Alice in Wonderland. Hopefully we will have more of these.

bkjanelle
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by bkjanelle on Nov 21, 10 5:15 PM
hey fishes just wanted to say that i got to chapter six in the demo. This is very easy game. there are only eight chapters. graphics are great but will not buy. maybe if your new to the games this would be prefect, but if you play regularly you will fly through it.

[Post New]by Mosey_Louise on Nov 21, 10 6:19 PM
well I bought this right away as I LOVED the Alice in Wonderland game. I agree with some of the other posters that this one is easier and more linear - but as I remember people complained about all the back and forth in the first one, so maybe those folks would like this better.

However, I do have to say that I enjoyed the game very much - at the end it said my playing time was 3:38 - I played it watching football today, so there may have been times when I wasn't paying attention to the game to make it that long.

I give it a B+ and would gladly play the next installment. And I am very grateful that it did not come out as a collector's edition!!!!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 21, 10 6:43 PM
Well, the story line, of course, was predictable. Graphics okay, but nothing special. Hint button was a waste of time, as it didn't tell you anything as far as where to go next. This is probably a good one for first timers. Not difficult at all. I got into The Emerald City before I was cut off, played the first HOG, and still had 13 minutes to go. I took a look a the walkthrough and see that when you are in the city, you are in chapter 6 of 8. That makes it too short for me to spend money on. No sale this time.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Nov 21, 10 8:42 PM
I'm with you Mosey_Louise, I didn't find the game horribly short. It took me just over 3 hours and I stopped to do coffee runs, dogs in & out, etc. several times but I thought the game play was fun and the length decent. I really enjoyed the game and concede that it was quite a bit more linear and easy when compared to the Alice story and I wasn't thrilled to see that, but, I still liked the game!

For those complaining about the bland colors - it is because Oz and the surrounding lands are corrupted by the wicked Witch and the evil Vile! You are there trying to fix the story and return the magic, joy and sparkle (color) to the wonderful land of Oz.

So get in there and do your job!!! lol (just kidding)

shadowfax

Edited on 11/21/2010 at 8:44:24 PM PST

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Nov 21, 10 9:20 PM
I'm disappointed with this one. It almost seems like they focused too much on production values and not enough on actual playing. The art is great, voice-overs very professional, nice map, no glitches but it's just not super fun.

For one thing, it's far too easy. I played on advance and still felt like I barely had to think at all. If you need an inventory item to complete a task, it will be in the next hidden object scene. There's no wondering which thing to use. FOG objects are scattered about the landscape but they are huge. So even though you go back to different scenes to find them, it's pretty darn easy.

Logic puzzles were the same old stuff, I don't remember a unique puzzle in the bunch. Frankly, I can do pipes, water tanks and sliders in my sleep.

Took me 2 hours and 47 minutes with no hints used on HOG scenes. That's really short and I was even trying to drag it out by finding items in order.

I used a punch-card credit on this so it was a free game and I do feel I got my money's worth.

I give it 3 out 5 stars.

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Nov 21, 10 9:26 PM
darkdisciple1313 wrote:I had the opportunity to beta-test this one and found it different, but a bit too easy for me. I like the concept of some evil-doer (insert the requisite "mwa-ha-ha-ha!" here) getting into some beloved work of fiction and messing with it, mainly because I enjoy reading alternative fiction. The Wizard of Oz is not my favorite book series, nor am I a huge fan of the movie, so the game is not my cup of tea, either. Speaking of tea, I played the previous game in this series (Alice In Wonderland), which I liked much better. This one is just a bit too twee for my taste.

Maybe the next book the developers can mess with is The DaVinci Code. All kinds of potentialities there.

You might want to look into Jasper Fforde's Tuesday Next series. It's absolutely brilliant and very funny. The hero is a literary detective who keeps the characters inside classic fiction from causing damage to their own books (and others!) I'm pretty sure those books are what inspired The Fiction Fixers.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Nov 21, 10 11:49 PM
Forums are back, great, no need to go back to chit-chat corner.
I didn't like Alice, so I played 10 minutes of this one a little bit reluctantly and was quite surprised to enjoy it. Very nice graphics, hardly ever turn the music on so no opinion about the voices. I don't mind junk piles as long as the game is good but not having to find a gramophone, a mapple leaf, feathers, bells,etc, is a real plus in a game. (Dreadfull when you're supposed to be in the 19th century and you have to find a hot-dog). Anyway this game seems to be fairly short so it's a no buy for me, may be as a DD.

PowderMonkey
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by PowderMonkey on Nov 22, 10 4:50 AM
This really is a great game. Amazing graphics. Could've been longer, though.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Nov 22, 10 4:54 AM
Question: who's playing the "casual" version vs. the "challenge" version?

I, too, am finding it easier than Alice/FF, but then again, I chose "casual" setting. I'm having fun so don't want to change it right now.

But I'm wondering if the game is longer--because harder--if playing on the advanced level.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 22, 10 6:55 AM
What gorgeous graphics, and I love the gameplay. When I turned off the lights on that first tower and all the land in that part turned colourful again, it looked beautiful. I went back all the way to the beginning just to look at the scenes in their new colours.

I played the whole demo hour, and ended at the front door of the Emerald City. Perhaps this game is not as long as the first Fiction Fixers, but I still enjoy this one. Besides, I get quickly bored with a game if it goes on for too long, because usually it gets very repetitive. There are only a handful of games where I wished that they went on forever.

Love the H0 scenes - clean and clear images and objects are easy to find.

The one thing that I did find a little confusing (as others have mentioned) is that I saw objects lying around and couldn´t pick them up until such time when they were needed. But that´s OK, I can get used to it.

I played on the easy level, but find it too easy with all the hints I get, so after I finish it, I will play it again on the difficult level.

Can´t wait for the next Fiction Fixers game to come out.

Oh... and I think the Scarecrow is really cute.

Edited on 11/22/2010 at 7:12:07 AM PST

Go to: