cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Nov 24, 10 3:57 AM
I have to agree with Rachieroos in that there is not much challenge in the amount of the game that we have been allowed to play so far and I think that is part of my problem with it even though I turned off the help as soon as the game started.

On a positive note I like looking for, and finding , things that aren't on any of the lists, such as the morphing objects, and in this game there are 20 hidden crown insignias to find so keep your eyes peeled.

Cherb

ETA commas after lists and objects and the following:

Note I said such as morphing objects using that as an example and not stating that there were morphing objects in this game.

I also said I would buy the game and that was wrong of me because BFG promised to give the beta testers a copy of the full game prior to the actual launch so I shouldn't need to buy one anyway although I doubt this will be forthcoming now that the launch has actually happened. I have therefore deleted my remark about buying which was made because I was in a hurry and was looking to leave you with a positive comment.

Sorry for any misunderstanding but honesty has now prevailed and I can live with myself again.

Edited on 11/24/2010 at 6:51:58 AM PST

juttertje
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by juttertje on Nov 24, 10 4:07 AM
Don't disturb, I'm playing now. had no problems with installation or activating but I think I downloaded the new version.

[Post New]by kalliopeia on Nov 24, 10 4:17 AM
Never posted in the forums before but I decided to go for it this time. I was very very excited about this game, I even joined the game club so I could get it today instead of tomorrow.

I've only played a few minutes of the game before I head off to work. But if it continues as it's gone so far, I'm very sorry to say I don't think I'm going to like it. It looks great but I feel like there is way too much hand holding. I hate the big objective banner at the bottom of the screen and unless I'm missing something I don't see any way to turn it off. I have only gotten to one 'real person' but I find it very annoying that she told me what I needed to do. Not to mention the fact that you have to find a way to get the dog out of the way and the woman is standing right there. Why should I have to search the house to find a way to get rid of the dog when the owner is standing right there? And then of course the fact that you can't go back outside or even to another floor if you want to until you finish the objective that's plastered at the bottom of the screen.

I loved RTR and DG because it was a challenge and you had to figure out what to do and where to go. So far I feel like I'm being led around on this one and it's very irritating. Maybe it'll get better, but as it stands I wish I'd tried the trial version before I spent money on the full one.

ToonaCat
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by ToonaCat on Nov 24, 10 4:45 AM
Finished the demo and I wanted to love it, but don't. Think it may be the actors - something just keeps me away from the immersive experience I usually enjoy with MCF. Will pass on this one.

cme550
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by cme550 on Nov 24, 10 4:47 AM
Played the demo, just bought and installing now. While I did enjoy the demo and I am looking forward to finishing the game, I dont think it's near as good as Dire Grove or RTR.
However, I do have to say that I love the live action actors! I think it's a nice touch Of course, I also liked them in Dire Grove as well

burningswan
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by burningswan on Nov 24, 10 4:56 AM
What's missing??? Those fabulous drawn characters in the MCF series. Think Madame Fate. The use of real actors changed the look and feel of the series most of us have come to love and expect.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Nov 24, 10 4:57 AM
The waiting is over. ITS HERE !!. In all its glory and splendor ? No? Yes?. I have been waiting for this game like a child waiting for Christmas, however there are alot of mixed messages in the reviews. Some like, some don't like. I read that there is at least 8-15 hrs of game play, so figured even if it is not that good at least you are getting your moneys worth in the length of it.

kat1117
Clownfish
Clownfish
956 Posts

[Post New]by kat1117 on Nov 24, 10 5:04 AM
Big beautiful game. I know I am going to love it....AFTER I GET BACK FROM THE DENTIST! What was I thinking. I should have known better than to schedule that appointment for today!!

[Post New]by gamegal2010 on Nov 24, 10 5:06 AM
Its My Birthday & I am such a Happy Jellyfish today !! Now I have the 13th Skull,MCF as my birthday present !!! Have a great day all fellow fishies !!!

[Post New]by coolcatherine on Nov 24, 10 5:09 AM
I just love it!
I have windows vista and haven't encountered any problem .
Happy gaming!

Edited on 11/25/2010 at 12:40:59 AM PST

brandy914
Minnow
Minnow
270 Posts

[Post New]by brandy914 on Nov 24, 10 5:22 AM
I think that they are so focused on this thing with the actors that they are forgetting what we all LOVED about MCF. Where are all the fantastic puzzles???The first few that I found I thought I went back in time. I HATE the ones I have found so far and they are all the same. I was really hoping there would be morphing objects but no. I have played an hour and I can't believe I am saying this about MCF but I am bored to tears. PLEASE tell me this game gets better. I think that the mouse turning into a magnifying glass when you find an abject in the house is strange because it also does it to zoom into scene as we are used to. Having to hit buttons to continue your conversation with the characters is aggravating too. Just say it and move on already. The characters being integrated in the game could be alright but the rest of the game takes a back seat and feels as though it is an old fashioned HOG. I wish I would have tried this before I bought it. I would never have bout the CE! Will update as I play and I hope it gets better. I need a little RTR. Well I am off to bake pies.

Edited on 11/24/2010 at 5:25:12 AM PST

medview2
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by medview2 on Nov 24, 10 5:29 AM
gamegal2010 wrote:Its My Birthday & I am such a Happy Jellyfish today !! Now I have the 13th Skull,MCF as my birthday present !!! Have a great day all fellow fishies !!!

Happy, happy birthday GameGal!!!

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Nov 24, 10 5:35 AM
The anticipation was definitely greater than the realization. I was expecting this game to be on par with " Return to Ravenhearst" but ( sigh) it is not. The graphics are a little flat, but clear. The hidden objects are a little junk pile ish. I'm not sure yet if I like incorporating real people into the game. (the man in the opening scene sort of reminds me of Dr. Oz). Having said all of the above, I will definitely buy because I am a sucker for these types of games, flaws and all.

Edited on 11/24/2010 at 5:36:45 AM PST

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Nov 24, 10 5:37 AM
I love MCF games and this one did not disappoint. I love the live actors, it is no different than the other games that use high tech graphics that walk and talk. As an older person with a short memory, I appreciate having the objectives written on the bottom of the screen, although, I admit, the banner could have been a little smaller. It is a buy for me, and I can't wait for the guys in the house to go golfing so I can play the game in peace!

[Post New]by gogirl20 on Nov 24, 10 5:38 AM
I played this game for 10 mins and then quit.I don't like the real people.They kind of freak me out.Makes it too real.I have all the mystery case files games and was really dissapointed by this one.

Journey_1
Herring
Herring
337 Posts

[Post New]by Journey_1 on Nov 24, 10 5:43 AM
Games these days are so fantasticly done. This was a great series when it was a leader...but now the developers are so creative with so many games. Gone are the days for me that I couldn't wait to get the next installment. There are 5 games recently that supercede this one by far and thats not even going back less than 2 months.
I hope for those that live for MCF series..this didn't disappoint. After finishing the demo...sadly..this will be a dd for me.
They have real competition in this ever-changing casual genre.

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Nov 24, 10 5:45 AM
Happy Birthday GameGal and all others

Dling now. I'm a little worried about the comments concerning the handholding but intrigued By Cherbtoo mentioning the morphing objects.
On the whole, considering the game length and unless this is really boring, it will be a buy for me.
Back later with a review.

A housefull of people tomorrow and I'll just want to sneak away to play....sigh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

ETA:
Cherbtoo: Saw your latest post on the morph. My bad. I must have misunderstood.

I finished the demo and this is a buy for me. I love the lazy southern heat feel to it. The graphics are very nice and I haven't been bored whatsoever. The live action just adds to the feel though the acting is somewhat contrived. So far I think this is very well done. It flows and plays out like a detective story. I haven't felt overly coddled or lead around (ok, maybe a little) and the "H0"s have been pretty well done also IMHO. The music works for me in that it just intermingles and fades in and out. Not intrusive. I do wish their had been a difficulty level to this. And I haven't used the SG so I have no idea what that's like. I did use the hint once and enjoyed that it gave me options.I kept my expectations in check for this game as each in the series has had it's own flavor. Maybe that's why I've found no big negatives.

Th only other thing I might add is ...how can this house be this dirty and leaky when they have been living in it long enough for the events to happen. Their cleaning lady is overpaid. Geezy...dust already, clean your fridge and hire some roofers!

Edited on 11/24/2010 at 7:30:21 AM PST

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Nov 24, 10 5:46 AM
gamegal2010 wrote:Its My Birthday & I am such a Happy Jellyfish today !! Now I have the 13th Skull,MCF as my birthday present !!! Have a great day all fellow fishies !!!

It's mine too so happy birthday to us! For the first time ever I purchased a game without trying the demo. I love all of the MFC games and have owned all at one point except for the one made for the Xbox system (I think it was). I'm downoading now, but won't be able to play until later today as I have to work for at least part of the day. I can't wait to get into it and once I do I'll comment/ review further-I'm actually eager to hear the music based on what I've read so far.[/color]

Edited on 11/24/2010 at 5:47:33 AM PST

[Post New]by Coronagold on Nov 24, 10 5:46 AM
I posted several weeks ago the game was a throwback to the 1990s live-action adventure game style. But your hype just kept rolling over reality like a river.

FairyonPegasus
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,501 Posts

[Post New]by FairyonPegasus on Nov 24, 10 5:47 AM
I'm going to have to ponder on this one for awhile. I love all the MCF games, but I've only played Dire Grove once, unlike all the other's that I've played multiple times. Not impressed at all with the hidden object scenes in this game. Seems like someone just took a bunch of clip art and tossed layer upon layer just to make things harder to find and to take up a little more time in the game.

I like the story line so far. Liked the music to begin with then after awhile of the constant looping it starts to grate on your nerves, but at least you can turn it off. I'm sure it will be a great game to play one time through, just not too sure of the replay value to be worth the collectors edition price or whether to wait for the standard edition. Maybe I was expecting a little more puzzles and interaction verses so many hidden object scenes that didn't seem very well put together. Already have done 4 and just on second character. Unsure. It just doesn't grab at me to make me want to even keep playing it like the other's/other than Dire Grove did. Dire Grove took me days because I'd get into it, then get bored with it. I fear that's what I'll do with this one also.

edit: to type out hidden object since I got stars. Also to add I think it's the constant back tracking to the same scenes over and over that gets monotonous after awhile. I really loathe that in a game. Once OK, but over and over and over...

Edited on 11/24/2010 at 5:53:50 AM PST

Go to: