cannons in the swamp??

Cherubabies
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,247 Posts

Re:cannons in the swamp??

[Post New]by Cherubabies on Nov 28, 10 5:10 PM
IIXXX

There is no such number in Roman Numerals!

The general rules are -

* Numerals are always written with the largest values to the LEFT.
i.e. MCM = 900

* Where two identical numerals exist they are ADDED.
i.e. XX = 20

* If a low numeral precedes a high numeral it must be SUBTRACTED from the higher numeral.
i.e. IX =9

* If a low numeral is placed AFTER a high numeral it is ADDED.
i.e. XI = 11

* The switch to using subtraction is made at the point where four adjacent identical numerals would be needed if only addition were used.

i.e.
4 = IV not IIII
9 = IX not VIIII
40 = XL not XXXX
90 = XC not LXXXX
400 = CD not CCCC
900 = CM not DCCCC

sionnach_dhu
Herring
Herring
305 Posts

[Post New]by sionnach_dhu on Nov 28, 10 5:20 PM
Mimisix wrote:

BabyNurse. I couldn't agree more

I found the places on the map, wrote down all the roman numerals (which I learned in school and know them all lol). I get the first number in on Cannon #1 and the little button goes down and as soon as I try to put in the 2nd number the first button pops up.

That means you're inputting an incorrect number.

Suggestions:

1) Make sure you're using the exact sequence of 6 numbers, and that it's the sequence matching the symbol on the cannon.
I know I'm repeating other posts, but: each cannon has a symbol that corresponds to the map bits on only one side of the map, and they have to be entered into the cannon in the exact order the bits are arranged in- for the 6 bits on the top of the map, that's left to right, and for the bits on the sides, it's top to bottom.

2) Double-check the incorrect number on the map to make sure you wrote it down correctly. (I've played the game through 4 times, and on my 3rd go I wrote a number down wrong... put VII when it was VIII.)
Also, there are a couple of numbers on the map that are sideways; all the ones I've had read from bottom to top (left to right if you'd turned the map sideways once to the right), but I won't swear that's true for every number on the map that's sideways. Point being that if your number's on the map sideways, try inputting it backwards from the way you wrote it down.

3) Double-check the stamp/map bit the number's based on; zoom in to the map, and make absolutely sure it EXACTLY matches the map. There are several locations which are similar, and there are several locations where numbers are close together... in both cases you may have written down a wrong number. (I did that too!

sionnach_dhu
Herring
Herring
305 Posts

[Post New]by sionnach_dhu on Nov 28, 10 5:22 PM
Cherubabies wrote:
IIXXX

There is no such number in Roman Numerals!

No, there's not. There is, however, an XXXII (thirty-two), which is sideways on the map and easy to accidentally read and/or write down backwards... which is what the OP had done.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Nov 28, 10 5:43 PM
Cherubabies wrote:
Mr_Russ wrote:You can do this one button at a time. There are 18 of them.
The range is 1 to 40 to be on the safe side.

I II III IV V VI VII VIII IX X
XI XII XIII XIV XV XVI XVII XVIII XIX XX
XXI XXII XXIII XXIV XXV XXVI XXVII XXVIII XXIX XXX
XXXI XXXII XXXIII XXXIV XXXV XXXVI XXXVII XXXVIII XXXIX XXXX

As soon as the button goes down / brown, go onto the next one. Press the buttons slowly and leave a small gap between each press.

Do you realise that would give you 10,000 possible combinations?

10 to the Power of 4 = 10,000.

When using Mr. Russ’ method you would not have to enter 10,000 entries.

There are 6 numbers to find on each cannon. If you enter 40 potential possibilities for the first button you would then know the first number on the first cannon. You would only have to enter 40 numbers if the number was actually 40, so you would probably have to enter less than 40 possible numbers. After you identify number for the first button you would write that down then begin entering the 39 potential possibilities for the second button. The potential possibilities for each on the 6 buttons would be reduced by one each time you identify the correct number for a button. Using this progression the maximum numbers you would have to enter to find the answer for all 6 buttons is 40 + 39 + 38 + 37 + 36 + 35 = 225. You would have to enter 225 numbers only if the numbers were the highest numbers in the scale.

You would also have to re-enter each of the previous numbers that you had identified of the six buttons each time a number was wrong. So for the second button you would have to enter the first number that you know is correct and your guesses for the second button a potential of 39 times each. So the maximum entries for the six buttons on the 1st cannon would be:

1st button – 40
2nd button – 39 + 39 = 78
3rd button – 38 + 38 + 38 = 114
4th button – 37 + 37 + 37 + 37 = 148
5th button – 36 + 36 + 36 + 36 + 36 = 180
6th button – 35 + 35 + 35 + 35 + 35 + 35 = 210
For a potential of 770 entries for the 1st cannon, 644 for the 2nd and 548 for the 3rd. For a total of 1962.

This would be the maximum potential entries and the real answers would be achieved without this many entries, perhaps about half or about 1000 entries.

But this shows that is would probably be much less trouble to solve the map pieces than try to find the correct numbers this way.

Edited on 01/25/2011 at 3:18:55 PM PST

crawle1960
Guppy
Guppy
123 Posts

[Post New]by crawle1960 on Nov 29, 10 2:25 AM
I love hogs this one till now I have never been so baffled ! even after reading all the help notes you kind lads and lassies have posted. Ruined the game for me

[Post New]by Leyra23 on Nov 29, 10 2:45 AM
I am as thick as they come, trust me but I was able to figure the cannons out eventually. Would have loved to skip it but i kinda liked the challenge. Zooming in on the maps is a big help. Just match the part of the map in the little pieces to the map and voila! it clicks. Took me a bit of time to actually decipher what parts of the maps some of them were but i got there in the end...yay me!

kpajak
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by kpajak on Nov 29, 10 3:38 AM
totally frustrated, bad enough there were glitches and had to re-install, no built in stategy guide for the price of a CE, now , this is the first time I've given up on a game, can't figure out skulls, no matter what codes I enter. Don't mind a challenge,mind wasting money,

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Nov 29, 10 3:59 AM
LizzieK, as the numbers don't repeat, your second cannon starts from 34 and your third cannon starts from 28.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Nov 29, 10 9:18 AM
Thank you Mr. Russ. I will release an updated version of my calculations.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Nov 29, 10 1:23 PM
Lizzie, since you seem to be interested in my "brute force" method, there is something else. Your calculations are off by a factor of 2. The reason for that is that the numbers tend to the mid-point. Remember that 40 (in this example, 38 in the game) is the maximum. One go will take 1, one button will take 40 etc. Everything therefore tends to 20 for your first cannon - 1 vs 40, 2 vs 39 etc.
(That's 19 for your second cannon and 18 for your third, near enough).

As that's still over 1000 presses, you'd have to do that rather than give up.

Something else to note that narrows down the actual number of attempts is the way the game behaves when you get something wrong. Say your number is 19 (XIX) -
if you started with a I it would invalidate your previous correct entries (ruling out I, II, III, IV, IX), and if you started with a V it would invalidate your previous correct entries (ruling out V, VI, VII, VIII).

It still takes a lot of entries and a lot of patience, so I wouldn't recommend it except as an extreme last resort.

Edited on 11/29/2010 at 1:24:39 PM PST

Mimisix
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by Mimisix on Nov 30, 10 11:00 AM
SIONNACH

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

I DID IT!!!!!

You were so helpful. I knew it was going to be one of those light bulb goes off moments and my dim bulb finally lit up. I am a rather determined person and I'm thinking "I'll be damned, if so many others can get it, I can too". You were just the catalyst I needed to make me try it again, and it was your encouragement. I think all of us that couldn't get it were just over-thinking it. I'm not going to insult anyone by saying it was easy 'cause it wasn't. It's just that once you get it you go back and hit your forehead and say duh. I was trying to skip ahead and did find one of the coins already, so now on with the game.

Again Sionnach, thank you so much for the encouragement.

Mimisix
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by Mimisix on Nov 30, 10 11:04 AM
Oh, I have to add one more thing. I think the instructions in the game are extremely confusing and could have been made a lot simpler. I think that is also what is confusing those of us who couldn't get it.

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Nov 30, 10 11:34 AM
sionnach_dhu wrote:
Sorry, WilJul, but this is incorrect, and might mix somebody up both in the map and in the end game.

Yup, yup. Standing corrected. Wasn't thinking straight. Realized it after my last go through of the game and found "IX" and went "oops." Thanks for clarifying for everyone.

sionnach_dhu
Herring
Herring
305 Posts

[Post New]by sionnach_dhu on Nov 30, 10 3:52 PM
Mimisix wrote:Oh, I have to add one more thing. I think the instructions in the game are extremely confusing and could have been made a lot simpler. I think that is also what is confusing those of us who couldn't get it.

I agree 1000%!!! Whoever wrote those instructions needs to be "whopped upside the head" as we Baltimorons say.. they made me feel like my brain was full of mud.

It wasn't until I read a post from somebody else about how all six of the little buttons had to go down that I had my "AHA!!" moment about it.

Oh, and you're very welcome!

I've had a lot of practice explaining and/or re-writing things clearly because I spent 6.5 years working the customer service/tech support desk at CompUSA, another 2 years doing document editing and proofreading for an engineering firm, and 12 years co-teaching a children's judo class (on a volunteer basis in the evenings).

MURPHY
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,237 Posts

[Post New]by MURPHY on Nov 30, 10 4:24 PM
It's a lot easier just to find the 6 maps pieces for each symbol than the above calculations method. Just remember that some of the numbers, especially on the side, can read from the bottom up! That stumped me the first time.

Easier way is to find one map piece at a time. Put that number in, if the small button goes down.......it worked! Then continue that method with 2 through 6 map pieces until all the buttons are down.

This was the only puzzle I found (could be wrong) that stayed in place when you went back and forth from the cannon to the map each time.

JessF
Clownfish
Clownfish
773 Posts

[Post New]by JessF on Dec 2, 10 2:31 AM
jr7333 wrote:I am just not able to do this puzzle. Since there is no skip button I guess I will have to give up on the game. I have only skipped one other puzzle up to this point. I am so very disappointed since I was really enjoying the game up to this point. I will not buy the game next year until I've read the forum to make certain there are no puzzles like this one that cannot be skipped. I feel like I wasted my money to not be able to finish the game.

Agreed. I will probably never finish the game. Between this puzzle & being yelled at it isn't fun anymore. And I never finished Dire Grove - I just didn't like it.

So - probably no more MCF games for me. Unless they go back to the RTR formay which I just loved.

cannons in the swamp??

[Post New]by tinybee on Dec 2, 10 4:00 AM
Bboo2 wrote:I am to the point where you use the map parts and the figures on top of the cannons but cannot seem to figure out just what to do. I have tried the Roman numerals but to no avail. Can someone please advice me just what I am doing wrong....I have checked the stratagy many times and still cannot figure it out.
Thanks.

And I thought I would going mad at this point of the game!!! Happy to find others with the same problem
and with the great help of other players I am playing on now
Nevertheless I am angry about myself, not finding the solution on my own

Edited on 12/02/2010 at 4:09:48 AM PST

alphab22m
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by alphab22m on Dec 3, 10 3:11 PM
After 3 days of starting and stopping I finally did figure out cannons. This was a really frustrating game for me, but I finally just stuck with it and it took me the whole afternoon to solve the cannons. Was worth it though. I just am glad that I live alone, cause there were times when my mouth was not under proper control.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Dec 3, 10 3:25 PM
folkdance wrote:You're ALL ahead of me - I can only find two cannons and they both have IVX on them, not only that, I lost the fax page with his birth date on it....I think I'll start over.
Once you view the fax the information goes into your journal. You don't have to start over.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Dec 3, 10 3:33 PM
Mr_Russ wrote:
Something else to note that narrows down the actual number of attempts is the way the game behaves when you get something wrong. Say your number is 19 (XIX) -
if you started with a I it would invalidate your previous correct entries (ruling out I, II, III, IV, IX), and if you started with a V it would invalidate your previous correct entries (ruling out V, VI, VII, VIII).

It still takes a lot of entries and a lot of patience, so I wouldn't recommend it except as an extreme last resort.
Yes you are correct about starting with I or V or X eliminating some of the entries. Another thing I found out is that if you don't have all of the little pieces around the edge of the map the game will not let you try to fill in the missing numbers by using "brute force".

If you miss one of the puzzles that gives you the small pieces and you only have 15 of the 18 small pictures, the game will not let you try to fill in those by guessing. When you get to the cannon were a small picture is missing it will not let you go past the button and on to the next button. So at the very least all 18 of the small pictures must be in place.

Edited on 12/03/2010 at 3:33:38 PM PST

Go to: