QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

Re:Your Comments And Reviews For Hidden Mysteries: Salem Secrets

[Post New]by QEIII on Nov 26, 10 7:51 AM
Not for me. Just plain HOG scene after HOG scene. I like my games to have puzzles and something else to do other than search and search.

Sorry and all that - now back To 13th Skull - love having to use by brain.

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Nov 26, 10 8:00 AM
THANKS FISHIES for the GREAT reviews...Gran, DR Good, DUCk, & others

I am going to DEMO now

I am soooo happy to see a Hidden Mysteries Game.. .LOVE THEM

Happy Gaming

PEN

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on Nov 26, 10 8:43 AM
This game isn't for me. I know a lot of you out ther like to figure everything out for yourself and I very much admire that. I on the other hand need a bit of guidance now and then. WhenI quit the game with 17 minutes left I had 10 - 12 tasks to complete and not a clue how to do any of them. I don't work that hard unless I get paid.

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Nov 26, 10 8:43 AM
Ajojuly1 wrote:we need a walkthru

The Blog Walkthrough is now up!
http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/hidden-mysteries-salem-secrets-walkthrough/

I've also put a topic in the forum that explains how the ingame HINT system works. No spoilers in that, but since it is a rather unusual hint system, it may help.

I have to say I really enjoyed this game! The story was compelling without being overly complicated. (4 girls have gone missing in Salem, and you are a police officer from Boston called in to help find them and determine if the locals' fears of witchcraft are warranted or it's just superstition.)

The graphics, though there's a lot of sepia, are excellent. Hidden Object Scenes were clear and, for me, interesting. There are some items from the wrong time period, but nothing that got in the way of the story.

It's a nonlinear game, so you have a lot of choice about where to go and what to do. I do strongly recommend using at least the MAP part of the HINT system. It's very well done.

I liked the fact that the town is divided into clear neighborhoods. I don't want to give any spoilers, but it made it fairly easy to remember where buildings were, since their locations made sense for their neighborhoods.

There are about 10 puzzles, very nicely done. Complex without being bewildering, SKIP button available if you want it, and the puzzles for the most part not only fit the story but built on each other so you used information from one puzzle to help solve a later one. Very satisfying if you like puzzles.

Have fun!
Robin

Edited on 11/26/2010 at 10:53:18 AM PST

MURPHY
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,237 Posts

[Post New]by MURPHY on Nov 26, 10 8:56 AM
I've only played about 30 minutes of the game, but I really like it. Any game that has country scenes with horses and barns really grabs my heart. This game has a slightly different twist to it which is quite refreshing! Love to see the developers try new things. I know there are puzzles, but I haven't run into any yet. This will definately be a buy for me.

janspack
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

ERROR VIOLATION MESSAGE

[Post New]by janspack on Nov 26, 10 9:08 AM
gunnhoneydew wrote:BAD GAME CAN PLAY FOR ERROR MESSAGES AGAIN. COME ON BFG
CANT YOU FIX THE PROBLEMS.

I had an access violation message first time I tried to play. I rebooted my computer and it worked fine after that.

janspack
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by janspack on Nov 26, 10 9:11 AM
saila wrote: Good day to all the little Fishies. THis is my first post but have been a BF member for quite a while. .

I soooo want to play this game but I tried downloading 3 different times and I get the "Access Violation" error message.... .

Am I the only one with this problem ?????

Have a great day

I had the same problem first time but I rebooted the computer and it played fine after that. Had this happen a couple of times recently and have found the reboot always seems to work.

janspack
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by janspack on Nov 26, 10 9:13 AM
OLDBAY wrote:Way to dark for me ....Not the story line just ( dark ) background ...really strains my eyes ,,,so it will be a pass for me ...But it's" good to be back" after having to replace my hard drive .. Sure have had a good variety of games to sample ...But this one happens to be a pass for me ...Cheers .

Not all the scenes are dark. There are some really nice countryside scenes as well once you get further into the game.

Calky
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
5 Posts

[Post New]by Calky on Nov 26, 10 9:44 AM
My husband and I downloaded this game. He on desk top me on lap top. I was not able to acquire things he did. We compared notes and it seems like there was a problem with mine. I use Windows 7 and he has XP. Don't know if that would make a difference. No I don't know if I would like to purchase this game.

tlight
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by tlight on Nov 26, 10 9:49 AM
I tested this one and have been waiting it for it to release so I can snap it up! It has great graphics, challenging object fields and multiple-location puzzles to solve. I'll buy this one next month on a new game card along with the MCF 13th Skull!

dianaluna
Herring
Herring
339 Posts

[Post New]by dianaluna on Nov 26, 10 10:08 AM
saila wrote: Good day to all the little Fishies. THis is my first post but have been a BF member for quite a while. .

I soooo want to play this game but I tried downloading 3 different times and I get the "Access Violation" error message.... .

Am I the only one with this problem ?????

Have a great day

Hi Saila,
Welcome to the pond! I didn't have a problem with this one, but most of us have encountered this kind of message and it IS so frustrating. If you haven't already done so, contact BFG. They will send you a diagnostic tool ( DR. FELIX) to "read'' the specs of your computer. You send that back and they will let you know what you can do. Many times the problem is solved with an update of a program. Good luck to you!

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on Nov 26, 10 10:30 AM
I beta tested this game. The games I want to play when they come out I leave on my machine. This game was there. It's a keeper. When I started playing, I thought the game was too dark but I got into the game. I was really hooked by the time I found and helped the first girl. Then it ended.

There are quite a few hidden object scenes in the game and I encountered one puzzle. The sparkles, although not needed for me, are helpful to some people to find the hidden object scenes. The hidden object scenes use some color on color and some objects are small and hard to find but the hint button recharges quickly. Most of the time I could find everything quite easily.

There is a lot of walking around, retracing steps and repeating hidden object scenes but I am a patient person with time on my hands so I don't mind too much.

What are negatives to some people are positives to others. Even with the sparkles and the repetitiveness the game is still worth buying to me.

BossBrat
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by BossBrat on Nov 26, 10 10:30 AM
After the fiasco of MCF 7, this was a refreshing game! No glitches, no uninstall/reinstall. Worth my punch card for this one. But, be warned. If you have trouble seeing smaller objects or objects that sort of blend in with the surroundings, you should definitely demo first to make sure you can see everything. Other than that it's a great game - and it's not a CE, making it even better! Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving.

pungstress
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by pungstress on Nov 26, 10 10:31 AM
First let me say that I don't envy any HOG that is slated to follow MCF 13 Ghosts; I liken to the dilemma of whoever it was that followed The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show!
I only played 15 minutes of the demo before purchasing because it seemed to be right up my alley. Nice graphics, although I agree that it is rather dark, but that's never bothered me. HOG items are not all proportionate to the scene. Music is a bit heavyhanded, but you can easily turn it down. Storyline seems to be a grabber.
I often go back and forth between two games so it's nice to have this one to turn to when I need a break from 13 Ghosts! I give it 's

Airmid
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by Airmid on Nov 26, 10 11:02 AM
CasualGran wrote:Addition 2 after playing all of the demo

This game, inspite of my second thoughts, seems to grow on me. Now that I've played the whole demo, I think it's got a very special atmosphere on it's own and I find myself being curious where the girls are and what will happen after that.

Only thing that worries me is a bad ending for those girls...

Does anybodiy know enough of the Salem story to give me some idea?

Thanks fishies!

If I remember some of the history I learned re the Salem Witch Trials, didn't these girls actually make up the 'possessed' thing cause one of the accused had been 'mean' to them? Hmmm or was that a fiction I read?

IMHO I think we should worry more for the poor womam accused of witchcraft. No doubt it will get a wee bit hot for her.

I demo'd the game, but couldn't stick it out for the full hour...as someone else mentioned, the clues in the hidden object scenes were really annoying...old, new, didn't matter, let's just stick anything we have in the scenes. As well they are not so much hidden as expoded all over the background. (Non period items do not usually elicit such a strong reaction in me...but this one did).

Probably cause I worry that games like these seem to trivialize the seriousness of the situation at this point in history, where 'state' (read church) tried to wipe out all and sundry who may, in any way, usurp their powers....(read knowledgable women/midwives). LOTS of innocents burned at stakes).

Ah, but maybe I miss judge..and in the end the game creators will lay waste the claims of w/craft and show the real reasons for what's happening. Perhaps someone can let me know.

Now don't all dump on me for the above comments....it's something I've been wondering about for a while, given this is a frequent subject topic. I own many, many BFGams ......perhaps I'm having a bad day.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Nov 26, 10 11:57 AM
is midnight mysteries a different company? Cause I feel that this is trying to copycat that game but fails miserably (I loved salem witch trials).

From the going between houses and the name, and non linear roaming through the same kind of settings.

But where midnight mysteries got the atmosphere from dark atmosphere - they had rich dark, clear colors not like this is just washed out beige/ gray. The hidden object scenes were bad with everything washed out, near colors. It's just depressing and you can get a dark game and be anything but depressed (ie midnight mysteries salem witch).

It was trying but sadly failed in its graphics, hidden object scenes, atmosphere.

A non buy from me and not even at a DD price (but that was purely cause of hidden object scenes, they were annoying)

mcscooby
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by mcscooby on Nov 26, 10 12:08 PM
Thoroughly enjoying this game even if I am stuck! I don't find it too dark and can't really say the music has been annoying. Like the fact that there aren't a ton of people talking to you as in MCF -13 Skulls, MCF was a waste of money for me.

Edited on 11/26/2010 at 1:00:48 PM PST

ceri4hc
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by ceri4hc on Nov 26, 10 12:10 PM
WOW ! , is this a record or what ......... I just bought the game HM; Salem secrets and it downloaded in seven and a half minutes . Thought I'd let other fishes know. I'm running on Vista - inspiron 1720. Now off to play the game. Nite all. x.

Airmid
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by Airmid on Nov 26, 10 12:11 PM
CasualGran wrote:
Airmid wrote:
......IMHO I think we should worry more for the poor womam accused of witchcraft. No doubt it will get a wee bit hot for her......

......Probably cause I worry that games like these seem to trivialize the seriousness of the situation at this point in history, where 'state' (read church) tried to wipe out all and sundry who may, in any way, usurp their powers....(read knowledgable women/midwives). LOTS of innocents burned at stakes)......

Yes! That's the exact reason I worried about the end of this game! I hate whichhunters! Torturing and burning all those innocent women because they couldn't stand them for one reason or another (mostly indeed for being intelligent and/or talented in ways they themselves couldn't understand).

So... I really hope this game will continue to be nicely thrilling and not horrifying (do I write this word correctly? )

me too...the thrilling part....and as for writing to word correctly, you are talking ?? writing?? with the world's worst speller.... so can't help you there....I always use spell checkers...they are almost as annoyingly persistent as my teachers used to be................waaaaaaaaaaay back then!!

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Nov 26, 10 12:13 PM
So... I really hope this game will continue to be nicely thrilling and not horrifying

Although there is definitely discussion of witchcraft and there are some skeletons and potion-making, I think "thrilling, and not horrifying" is a good description of it.

Robin

Go to: