PowderMonkey
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Twisted: A Haunted Carol

[Post New]by PowderMonkey on Dec 7, 10 7:25 AM
I bought this game using a game credit without even trying it first, because it looked like my kind of game, and I desperately needed a good, dark, adventurous game... Well...
Pros: The London setting - lovely. Hidden object scenes: easy to find objects, not too many objects in each scene, obj's not too small/dark.
You're automatically transferred - via the time stones - between time/place.
But (cons): Time passes too slowly when you play this game - adventurous it is not. I stated it as a pro that you're transferred between time/place, but it also means you don't have to do much thinking in that area.
Hints not very helpful - eg., cellar door - yes, I bl**dy well knew I had to open the door, but hint should have pointed me in direction of the key, not to the door itself. and speaking of key - what's with all those keys in this game? I know it is London, but absolutely everything is locked here!! LOL I must have found at least 20 keys by now, and I'm not even finished!
Oh, and a warning if you're a vegetarian - in one of the first scenes you explore a butchers shop, with very real-looking whole dead animals - even I found it quite disturbing, and I'm not usually easily spooked...
All in all game quite boring - when I stood outside Belle's (?) house, I wanted to go to nearby Trafalgar Square instead of exploring the house!!

Edited on 12/07/2010 at 7:27:32 AM PST

PowderMonkey
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by PowderMonkey on Dec 7, 10 7:27 AM
I ran out of space: I'd preferred to have waited for the $2,99 offer - it seems this game was created in a hurry, not worth $6,99!

Forgot to add: Minigames a disappointment - not very many of them (mostly the clock ones) - and those that are are very easy....

Well, after having read all reviews now, I see that I must be the real Scrooge here!!

Edited on 12/07/2010 at 7:35:16 AM PST

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Dec 7, 10 7:37 AM
Hey tex--I'm with you! The game-play length is so SUBJECTIVE that it's hard to tell from reviewers' estimates how long YOU will enjoy it. I'm a "stop and sip the coffee" gamer, not a "plow-through-in-record-time-so-I-can-win-trophies-and-gold-stars" gamer. As a matter of fact, my "better half" and I just finished "Phantom" and "Sherlock...Baskervilles" and our gameplay time was right around 9 hours for each one (and we're not slouches--we just like the views!). So I'm guessing that this one, at a leisurely pace, may be at least 3-4 hours.

Edited on 12/07/2010 at 10:38:06 AM PST

niamhe
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by niamhe on Dec 7, 10 8:23 AM
What a complete waste of money, worst game I have had of BF

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Dec 7, 10 8:30 AM
Just a quick note for those who got stuck on the Secret Panel...

There's now a forum topic called "Secret Panel Problem" that may help, as this is a longer sequence than you might think at first.

Then, as a general comment, there are several places in this game where you must zoom in first with an empty cursor before you can use an inventory item.

If at any time you know exactly what you want to do but it's not working, try putting the inventory item back in the tray and clicking first with an empty cursor to see if you need to zoom in first. Then use the inventory item in the zoom scene.

On the other hand, the game is a bit inconsistent in this. Sometimes you have to zoom in before you can use a key on a door, and sometimes you just use the key directly in the main scene. So try both ways before giving up.

Robin

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Dec 7, 10 8:31 AM
I like the graphics, like the variation of the original story, and like the viewable objects. Bought it without hesitation. Very good quality, and pleasant play.

Thanks developers! Thanks BF!

Edited on 12/07/2010 at 8:32:32 AM PST

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Dec 7, 10 8:40 AM
After having read as many reviews as I could, had to skip a few, (as part of the gameplay, how to do things etc., are posted and I wanted to demo the game before I was told how to play), I was worried about the length. I must play in a similar manner to elldee2728. I like to make my money spin out and do not like to rush ANY game. I have played 41 minutes of the trial and I am in Chapter 3. So figure that out re length.
As far as the game spoiling Charles Dickens work, I do not agree. The clue is in the title. "Twisted". The story in a lot of games can enhance, some do not. The graphics are beautiful and IMO clear. I was at first a little annoyed at the dark edge around the **** scenes but soon got used to it. Easy to find objects and in keeping with the period. I was not using the hint every few minutes, as in some very "popular" **** games recently.
I consider myself to be a reasonable HOG player, I have practically every one that have sold. Got a bit lost before I found the first key, my own stupidity.
All in all, a good game and I think I will use a free credit on it.

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Dec 7, 10 8:42 AM
I played the whole demo hour and I managed to almost finish chapter 6. After checking the walkthrough that means I would only have two chapters left. So I think the game is a bit on the short side.
The graphics were really pretty, the music was ok - what I heard; otherwise for me the game is only lukewarm. It's just "eh" for me and I can't pin point exactly why.
The concept is pretty good, they could have gone much further though in my opinion.
I found the cursor sometimes not very responsive like at the cellar door. That is one of the places where you don't have to zoom in (as well as I remember) but it would take the key the first time around. And why so many keys???
I have to agree with PowderMonkey, the hint button was not the most helpful.

Maybe I'm just not in the right mindset for this game today but it's on my NOT list.

EDIT: should be wouldn't at the cellar door

Edited on 12/07/2010 at 8:44:40 AM PST

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Dec 7, 10 8:48 AM
niamhe wrote:What a complete waste of money, worst game I have had of BF

Thanks for posting, any details to offer?

elde
Catfish
Catfish
1,597 Posts

[Post New]by elde on Dec 7, 10 9:02 AM
I demo'd, bought ,finished and unistalled the game all in one afternoon! (and this in between doing laundry, answering some emails and making the occasional sandwich).

The graphics are nice.

The game is too "static" for me, no interaction, no moving around (fi. if you've got to go to another location a ghost takes you, no need to search yourself).

The H0s are really easy and the mini games boring (always the same thing)

When downloading it, my PC gave me a LFG warning....if this is an LFG, it sure is the shortest one I ever played/bought..lol. I'm an LFG addict

I wonder where the 'adventure' part has gone to?

IMHO this game is a musthave for people who are just beginning to play.

For me, it was a real disappointment

elhar02
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by elhar02 on Dec 7, 10 9:18 AM
I download the trial of this game which I had been "patiently" waiting for. I tried it for all of 3-5 minutes, liked what I saw and used a punch-code credit to purchase. To me the length of a game doesn't matter in the least as long as I enjoy it albeit I'm a slow player and don't sit at the puter until I finish it all in one-sitting -- there's no rush!!!! I like to enjoy the graphics, scenery and read all the dialogue. Sometimes when I play a longer game I get frustrated and actually wish it would soon get over -- so length doesnt really matter to me as long as I enjoy myself while playing.

Every year I watch "A Christmas Carol" and think I know the dialogue now by heart but this "twist" to me was a very different take on the story -- just because it's a game and nothing else. Great reviews from Peglegann and elldee2728 only emphasized my opinions of the game.

Just completed other somewhat harder games where I needed the WT'S all the time to be able to bring them to a conclusion. That doesn't really bother me but it's nice sometimes to be able to finish a game without checking every other minute to see where I need to go or to make sure I pick up the necessary items in order.

Kudos to the developers of this game. Great fun in IMHO -- many thanks.

Your Comments and Reviews for Twisted: A Haunted Carol

[Post New]by pixiecat2007 on Dec 7, 10 9:21 AM
bfgImbrium wrote:Hey Fishies! What do you think of Twisted: A Haunted Carol? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

Airmid
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by Airmid on Dec 7, 10 9:25 AM
Hi Fishies....I agree, I think it wil be a short game...one hour demo, half way through, but darn I want to finish it.

It's a different twist on an old favourite, graphics are interesting and mostly in character. The game gives me a comfortable feeling. Guess the question is: should I or should I not......now where's the daisy when you need one.

One thing though, it's reminded me to check for the 'original' Christmas carol that's always on TV .... you know, the one with Alister Simms (I think that's his name)...think I know the almost all the words now...but gotta watch it each year!

I'm off to find something to pluck...hope all you UK fishies are safe and enjoying your snow. How come, when I was a kid in UK we never got more than a dusting of snow....no fair....perhaps I shouldn't speak so quick...they're talking Alberta clipper for the weekend...could be doing some digging myself!!

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Dec 7, 10 9:36 AM
Out of desperation I just might buy this game because I am salivating for a good IHOG and I have a couple of credits to use. I really like the graphics, don't like so much that it is linear. It seems rather simplistic and objects are real easy to find ( but since we all complain when they are not easy to find) guess this is a better alternative. It appears to be on the short side, but what the heck might as well use one of my credits because the way things have been going I am not sure something better will come along and if it does it probably will be a CE, so can't use credits.

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Dec 7, 10 10:32 AM
I'm tempted and probably will use my other credit to buy. I'm not a huge Dickens fan, but saw the movie every year growing up and other versions (Scrooged for example) as well. The twist didn't bother me at all. After all neither Poe nor Hawthorne were murdered though some of the facts about their deaths were accurate in those games. (Hawthorne died while on a trip with Pierce.) The graphics are good and crisp and the H0 scenes well crafted. I did not seem to have any issues with any of the glitches other fishies mentioned. I very rarely do. I don't know why it is that some fishies have problems with games and others don't. I know it's frustrating though so I'm sorry to hear it.

When my hour was up I was barley at the beginning of chapter 4 according to the walkthrough so I guess length is a matter of perspective. I tend to gauge it based on how long it takes me and how much I depend on the walkthrough to get me through. I needed it almost from the beginning, but then again, I’m not feeling well this morning

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Dec 7, 10 10:34 AM
Very very short game, even for me. It was beautifully done graphic wise. REally enjoyed the art work.
The game play was pretty easy with the exception of the clock, that's where I used hints. Sorry. But the rest of the HOG sections were very easy..on the eyes and easy period.
I wouldn't buy this full price because of the shortness of it, but keep an eye out for it to go on sale or be a Christmas special or something. It is fun enough to spend a little money on it.
To plot is a little frustrating because, no matter how horrible Scrooge is, you want him "to get it" and be forgiven. That would be a happier ending than the one given.
IT seems a little punishing considering the season. But, nevertheless, the dev's had some fun coming up with extreme sceneros for this old tale.
Happy Gaming
kris

kisskeeps
Catfish
Catfish
1,508 Posts

[Post New]by kisskeeps on Dec 7, 10 10:46 AM
I liked this TWIST on the yuletide story; my fav version is the Alistair Sim one. The grafix of old Londontowne are beautifully rendered and in keeping with the times, if you don't mind me saying.

The devs probably could have done better promoting this game as a "how to" version of iHOG or aHOG or whatever they are being called this week (LOL). Sort of like the little test you take at the Vehicles Dept. to get your Learner's Permit to drive. I play almost exclusively straight hidden Objects since I don't like having to use walkthroughs. I am just now getting into the adventure/interactive ones, must be stilted development, ha ha.

I don't care if an interestinng game is short; prefer them long tho to get more bang for the buck as it were. Really a lovely game, just a bit too easy for me so I will wait and get it when/if it comes out as a DD for sure.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Dec 7, 10 10:47 AM
niamhe wrote:What a complete waste of money, worst game I have had of BF

Hey niamhe--as joyce2121 asked, could you please provide some insight into your opinion of this game? Remember, a lot of folks put stock in what we say here, so it's kind of important to give rationale. And game developers visit these forums from time to time too--what do you think they'll take away from your one-line comment?

This is a "Twist" on one of the all-time Christmas classics, and deserves some thoughtful (positive OR negative) remarks.

caseymom
Minnow
Minnow
206 Posts

[Post New]by caseymom on Dec 7, 10 10:58 AM
I too am tired of the glitches. My solution is to write down the name of a game that looks interesting, wait 2-3 days after it is a "new release" and let them fix all the junk that is wrong. I have tried this on the last 2 **** games, it works and no frustration!! I can wait a few days, even on a good game...after all, it is only a game. I also don't like the "fixes" that require me to reset files on my computer just to play that game. Ain't worth the headache. I waited on the Salem game and it runs great! (Good game, by the way).

Shastanna
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by Shastanna on Dec 7, 10 11:05 AM
Yoo-hoo!!! CasualGran and GoofyDuck! Where are ya?

Well, I'm going to try it. I'm pretty slow at these games so the length will probably be fine for me, and seeing as I am in a total BAH-HUMBUG mood this season, the twist will probably suit me just fine!

Hope you all have a great gaming day!

Go to: