Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles

[Post New]by gamergoon on Jan 6, 11 11:06 PM
It's quite a long game actually...and thoroughly enjoyable as well..

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles

[Post New]by DejaShoe on Jan 7, 11 12:37 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed this game! Offered a decent amount of play time, puzzles were not too difficult, graphics were nice as was the storyline.

I definitely give it a and 5

trickydon
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by trickydon on Jan 10, 11 8:26 PM
One of the best HOGs. I especially liked the map and symbols of rooms that were completed and rooms to be investigated.

Tikatoy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Tikatoy on Jan 17, 11 4:56 PM
(Mild story/gameplay spoilers to follow)

Ooh, I really liked this one! Pretty graphics, awesome map feature that lets you 1) go immediately to a room and 2) shows you which rooms there's stuff for you to do. I liked the gameplay element of being able to pick up powers, even though it was pretty straightforward to figure out what situations you need to use them in.

I enjoyed the ability to transport into a room's past. The puzzles were pretty fun. They were like the same kinds of puzzles you see repeated in these games, but with a slight difference to make them tougher. E.g. you need to slide these gems along paths so that they end up in the right place, but you need to do it in X number of moves. The hidden object scenes were on the easy side, and no junkpiles, although I had to Google a couple of the words they used.

The story disappointed slightly as I was hoping for some sort of twist at the end, but it didn't bother me. Great game.

sandebeach
Shark
Shark
10,388 Posts

[Post New]by sandebeach on Jan 24, 11 4:07 PM
This was a fun game that kept my interest, and I know it will have great replay value for me. I liked the graphics, and I liked searching all the different rooms. I didn't need to use the map, but it is a nice feature. I really liked looking for the wolf eyes, and then being able to go back in the past for each room. Glad I read the reviews and picked this up before the Game of the Year discount code ends on the 31st.

ms_mamiller
Squid
Squid
66 Posts

[Post New]by ms_mamiller on Feb 5, 11 1:12 AM
I finally beat this game, the CE, and bonus content and have concluded... this is my favorite game so far!

I really enjoyed this game!

Graphics - 5 out of 5, wonderful graphics, appropriate, seamless, beautiful!

Story - 4 out of 5, although the story is really interesting, good, I don't know how I feel about Sherlock Holmes investigating the supernatural. I would have preferred a reasonable explanation, a traditional mystery... however it kept my attention none the less... the bonus content smelled of cheese ((cheesy) giggle).

Music - 5 out of 5, it was appropriate, added to the atmosphere, and not annoying (like some other HOGs)... subtle.

Voices - 4 out of 5, overall the voices are appropriate and great... but towards the end, in the bonus content... Henry's voice smells of cheese (cheesy)... and gets a little weird.

Challenge - 4 out of 5, most of the HOGs and puzzles were reasonably challenging, however there were a couple of HOGs that were just a tad too easy.

I highly recommend this game to HOG lovers of all levels; it is just fun to play!

Overall I give it a 4 out of 5... if there was a line graph it would be very close to a 5!

calamari7
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

[Post New]by calamari7 on Feb 11, 11 3:36 PM
Absolutely darling game! I gave myself a Valentine's of a new 20" monitor [actually, after 5 1/2 years my old 17" bit the dust], and I finished the last hour or so on it.......WOW!.......now I should go back and play all my games for the terrific way I can see EVERYTHING.... ..ha!! This game has many features that I love......(1) beautiful graphics, (2) lots and lots of HOG scenes [thanks a bunch ], (3) voice- over to move the story forward, with good dialog in character, (4) a wonderful map that lets you go here there and everywhere while telling you if there are still things to do or if the area is complete [REALLY like this feature!!!], and (5) puzzles that are doable, or can be skipped if you get frazzled . Oh, also there are "achievement awards" that you can garner along the way which give it a good replay asset. I bought the SE, and it plays long [I did it in 5 hrs 15 mins]. If you are a HOG fan like I am, I highly recommend .... .... ..... ..*smack

Edited on 02/11/2011 at 4:13:48 PM PST

The_Wanderer
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by The_Wanderer on Feb 13, 11 1:27 PM
Just finished the game and I really enjoyed it. The graphics are lovely, the sound is good. It took me just over six hours to complete it using Hard Mode. I would definitely recommend it.

MarpleLover
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by MarpleLover on Feb 14, 11 11:29 AM
I just finished the SE version of this game and was impressed it had various achievement awards to present. Usually you don't see awards in standard games.

I liked the likeness of the Baskerville man which resembled the actor in the movie version with Jeremy Brett as Holmes.

There were a lot of rooms to investigate for clues and it was a nice touch to announce when you were done with a particular room.

Enjoyed listening to the voices of the characters as the story was narrated. Even had some humor in it with mention about Watson's fear of spiders!!

All puzzles were skippable after some time had elapsed and they were a good assortment.

I liked this more than the Sherlock Holmes:Awakened game, which was done in first person style. Hound kept me entertained for a long time and I consider it a good value for the money. Has great replay values, too.

TnTexas
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by TnTexas on Feb 19, 11 3:10 PM
Overall Impression: an excellent IHOG/Adventure blend; a little on the dark side (both thematically and atmospherically) but not too bad in that direction

Media Description: The graphics are well done and while not exactly crisp, weren't extremely fuzzy either. The voiceovers were fine. They didn't quite match the mouth movements in the opening cutscene, but after that the pictures didn't "talk" so it wasn't a major problem. I don't remember much about the music so it couldn't have been too bad.

Storyline: I haven't read the book so I have no idea how closely the storyline reflects its events (I suspect there was quite a bit of artistic license taken), but it flowed pretty well for the game. The ending may have been a tad abrupt, but the setup of the game hinted it was coming so it didn't feel like it came completely out of nowhere.

Gameplay: what you've come to expect in your standard IHOG/Adventure blend. Additions include two levels of difficulty and a "location completed" banner in a room once you've finished all the tasks in it. *WARNING* There was a disturbing animal lab scene under the floor of one of the rooms on the main floor. Sensitive people beware!

HOG Scenes: were a combination of junkpiles and busy scenes which were relatively easy to navigate. I didn't play the hard level so I have no idea what the penalty might be there; but on the easy level, the misclick penalty is simply a loss of control over the cursor for a few seconds a mild scolding by Holmes.

Minigames/puzzles: were integrated into the storyline pretty well. Some made you think a bit, but none were extremely difficult. On the easy level, all could be skipped.

Hints: On the easy level, the hints were unlimited and refilled within a reasonable amount of time. I think they were limited on the hard level, but I'm not sure.

Will Probably Appeal to: those who like IHOG/Adventures, mysteries, and Sherlock Holmes

Will Probably Not Appeal to: those who prefer straight HOGs, those who dislike occultic themes in their games, and those who are extremely sensitive to animal abuse

[Post New]by Frannie5 on Feb 25, 11 1:59 PM
This is a GREAT game. Lots of puzzles and a superior story. Get this one!!!

Johny_d
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Johny_d on Mar 4, 11 12:21 AM
Beautiful graphics. Classic story. I love this game!

Ritzschke
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by Ritzschke on Mar 17, 11 3:37 PM
xssa wrote:I LOVED THIS GAME!!!!
i was getting sick of too many hidden objects (hog) and loved all the puzzles. the map, to move from one room to another quick, was wonderful. the graphics were really good, the music was good, the acting wasn't too bad.
i loved this game. i only skipped one or two puzzles. most of the clues were goo denough i didn't have to use a hint even once. the hidden objects, like five or six scenes, were well lit and no small objects.
there's an easy and hard level, and medals for doing things like no hints or finding all objects in under a minute.
this is a great game. i tried the free trial and bought the game, finsihed in one sitting.

HELP! Can someone who has finished the game tell me what happens at the very end? I've tried TS without help. It continues at the end to show Holmes, Watson and Baskerville and someone comes with a little white puppy. But I only have the graphics - no lock ups, but no words written or audio of what they are saying.

Otherwise I love this game. I tried using windows basic background (as suggested) without any luck.

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on May 8, 11 1:21 PM
[b] This is the best sherlock holmes on BFG...gruesome, scary, fun, cool settings, good puzzles that are not repeated...Fab ending!...gl

ibnew
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by ibnew on May 30, 11 8:32 AM
I am really enjoying this game. I like a story, mystery, graphics and ****. This has all of them. It also has the map which is great. I have learned to check the forums now before buying a game after purchasing Romancing the Seven Wonders, Taj Mahal. Although that was a beautiful game, impossible to play.

knfarms
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by knfarms on May 31, 11 10:48 PM
Out of all of the Big Fish hidden object games we have played (29 since March 2011) this is the best of the best! It is narated - so we don't have to "read" what they are saying! The plot is great. Neat twist to the original story and it is very interesting. I'm half way through it and love it. I just hope that the ending won't be stupid like some of the other games I have played. One Collector's Edition game's ending was a commercial!! Another it ended so abrutly, that I thought the makers were in a rush to finish so they could go play golf or something... Big Fish, you guys rule as far as these games go. I wish you would have better ratings for your games, like if they are geared to young children or adults (levels of hidden objects from easy to hard) and if they are narated or not (when the characters speak - have them speak along with the written naration). Like in the games you have for iPad, you should add a column in our account purchase history (or somewhere) where we can vote using a 5 star rating system; with the ability of adding comments. This would probably get more hits from gamers if they could just rate the game if they don't feel like writing a review. Think about it. This would also give us gamers better control over what we like and maybe speed up the process for sequels!

Keep up the good work!

Edited on 05/31/2011 at 10:59:38 PM PST

debvee
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by debvee on Jun 2, 11 6:07 PM
I am about 3 hours into the game and am really enjoying the variety of puzzles and hidden objects. I'm using the difficult level and it is just about perfect in difficulty and enjoyment. I like looking around for things and saving things to be used later - all in all a great game. So glad I bought it. Good music and graphics.

[Post New]by doofenschmurtz on Jun 6, 11 7:27 PM
This is one if the best HOG'S I've ever played. The story was great like reading a good book.The hints were just right and the puzzles were phenominal.More games should follow the leader Frogwares they are on the right track.Also I liked the fact that you could actually see the objects they wanted you to find.Excellent artwork too
I think I'll go for a dip in the pond and see somemore of Sherlocke and of course
Dr Watson I presume Happy gaming

Edited on 06/06/2011 at 7:31:10 PM PST

Liasmani
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
19,504 Posts

[Post New]by Liasmani on Jul 13, 11 9:40 AM
Graphics – 3 stars
Story – 3 stars
Music/Sounds – 3 stars
Gameplay – 2.5 stars
Overall – 2.875 stars

My ratings of games can be high as 5 and can be low as 1.

Ratings Explained:

1 star: Poor
2 stars: Okay
3 stars: Good
4 stars: Great
5 stars: Excellent

I won’t be purchasing this game at all. For those who did – Happy Gaming!

mtvoyager
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mtvoyager on Dec 25, 11 7:55 PM
I just completed this game in three hours and seventeen minutes. I really enjoyed it. It was challenging, but not so hard that I needed to go to an SG. The HOGs were pretty easy and I liked the power discs. I strongly recommend this game.

Go to: