Re:"Cannons in swamp" explanations compiled here

[Post New]by boscoebuddy on Jan 15, 11 4:52 PM
I cannot figure out which numbers go with what symbols on the map for the cannons,. I didn't know photoshop was a requtrement for this game. I used to love the MCF games but this has really spoiled it for me. I have been stuck on cannons for 6 hrs (longer than I worked on most of the game). I realize the puzzle is random but if someone could tell me how to just group the numbers with the symbols, I would appreciaye it. I don't work this hars when I am getting paid for it. lol

[Post New]by annoyedjan on Jan 15, 11 5:29 PM
[u]I have printed out your explanation of how to solve the Cannons in ther Swamp solution. I am still having a problem. I am a "visually shown" understanding person. Not a reading instruction person who is reading something for a person who already knows the solution' or everyone else is much more intelligent than I am.

I like playing many of your games on offer. It may take me some time to work out various things but no other games has defeated me. All the way through this game, I have struggled with various solutions wondering why they are so complicated. It has got this way with this game that I am seriuosly thinking of deleting it before seeing it to the end. I don't like admitting defeat as it has never happened before. I play these games for fun and relaxation. Not to be constantly frustrated and aggravated because many of the steps and solutions are so convoluted.

With many of the other games I have purchased, ther ones with high scoring boards of other players, my name is either first or second on over 20 of them. So i am not stupid or illogical. With this game, I feel i am both

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Jan 15, 11 5:41 PM
boscoebuddy wrote:I cannot figure out which numbers go with what symbols on the map for the cannons,. I didn't know photoshop was a requtrement for this game. I used to love the MCF games but this has really spoiled it for me. I have been stuck on cannons for 6 hrs (longer than I worked on most of the game). I realize the puzzle is random but if someone could tell me how to just group the numbers with the symbols, I would appreciaye it. I don't work this hars when I am getting paid for it. lol
Hi boscoebuddy! This thread is full of posts explaining exactly what you are asking about. Did you read them? I think it will help you.

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Jan 15, 11 5:45 PM
annoyedjan wrote:[u]I have printed out your explanation of how to solve the Cannons in ther Swamp solution. I am still having a problem. I am a "visually shown" understanding person. Not a reading instruction person who is reading something for a person who already knows the solution' or everyone else is much more intelligent than I am.

I like playing many of your games on offer. It may take me some time to work out various things but no other games has defeated me. All the way through this game, I have struggled with various solutions wondering why they are so complicated. It has got this way with this game that I am seriuosly thinking of deleting it before seeing it to the end. I don't like admitting defeat as it has never happened before. I play these games for fun and relaxation. Not to be constantly frustrated and aggravated because many of the steps and solutions are so convoluted.

With many of the other games I have purchased, ther ones with high scoring boards of other players, my name is either first or second on over 20 of them. So i am not stupid or illogical. With this game, I feel i am both
Hi annoyedjan! Have you tried looking at the walkthrough pictures while reading the explanations? Perhaps that will help. It's really not that complicated, and you'll smack your head when the lightbulb finally goes off. I did!

[Post New]by Mharab on Jan 15, 11 9:27 PM
Hi,
This is my 1st attempt to communicate via internet (other than e-mails) ... and the only reason I'm doing so is because I'm stuck with the cannons in the swamp. I've looked at everything (probably 2 or 3 times by now, as I've been stuck for the last few days). I just can't figure it out.
Someone Please help
Mharab

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Jan 15, 11 10:53 PM
I'm sorry Mharab, these are the best of the best of the explanations. I'm not sure what to tell you. If none of these do it for you, I don't see how yet another explanation would. You might want to look at the walkthrough while reading them, maybe actually seeing pictures of what the explanations are referring to would help you.

horrob
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by horrob on Jan 16, 11 12:46 AM
horrob wrote:
WilJul wrote:If you look along the top and down the sides you have symbol, 6 squares of paper, symbol.
Those symbols tell you to which cannon the numbers belong.

Each square of paper has a larger version with Roman numeral on the map.
Some entries are to be read bottom-up.

Enter the number from the square into the cannon. If you get the number right, one of the 6 small buttons will change colour and drop. When all 6 are right, the cannon will open. Get one wrong and you have to start the cannon again.

You should have a pen/pencil and a piece of paper. There are three cannons. On each cannon you will see a symbol. Click on the first cannon and find the symbol. Go to the map. This symbol will appear twice somewhere outside the border of the map (either on the top, left or right) . Between the symbol pair, you will see 6 map pieces which are sections of the larger map. Find where each section appears on the larger map (you can zoom in by clicking on the map). Next to each section, there will be a roman numeral. Write down these numbers in the same order as the map pieces appear. Go back to the cannon. Enter the numerals in this same order. Once you have entered a correct numeral, one of the 6 small buttons will automatically depress. If you enter a wrong number, the buttons will reset and you will have to restart the cannon puzzle. (It helped me to tick off each number that I entered correctly). Once you have entered all six numbers correctly, the cannon will raise up. Click on it and then you can retrieve the skulls. Repeat for each cannon.

Each cannon has a symbol on top. Under the symbol is a row of six tiny buttons; under that is a keypad with three large buttons. The keypad buttons have the Roman numerals for 1, 5, and 10 on them - I, V, and X.
For each cannon, you need a code which consists of a sequence of 6 numbers, one for each of the little buttons; you use the keypad to type the numbers in.

Get a piece of paper and something to write with. Go to one cannon, and look at the symbol on the top. Then click on the map, and look for the line of 6 little pictures with that symbol on either end of it. The Roman numerals 1-35 are on the map, and each picture corresponds with the location of a number.

Look at the first little picture, and find that location on the map. Zoom in and compare it; make sure it EXACTLY matches the map - some places, especially tree roots, look almost the same until you zoom in. Write down the Roman numeral you find there.

[Post New]by Mharab on Jan 16, 11 8:48 PM
Hi and Thank You Very Much for all your help in discovering the secret to opening the cannons in the swamp. I finally figured it out and finished the game around 2am this morning ... I couldn't have done it without your help.
I'm now ready to begin my next adventure.
When I 1st discovered this website, I tried any HOG on line. Now I'm becoming a little more picky. I like the challenge of "adult" type puzzles ... the kind of puzzles found the "Mystery Case Files - 13th Skull" ... I also like the music, and the fact that the characters are "real" people.
I don't have very many games ... so I'm looking for some recommentations.
Thanks again
Mharab

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Jan 16, 11 11:07 PM
YAY MHARAB!!!!!

Congratulations!!!!

[Post New]by Mharab on Jan 18, 11 1:23 AM
Hi WilJul,
I chuckled when I saw your msg. I don't suppose you would know how to get "Marcus" to "shut up" ... I told him to "shut up" several times to no avail ... I even tried to think of a way to get him to drink some of that lemonade ... also to no avail ... I finally just ignored him as he was getting annoying.
I really enjoyed the game though, and was wondering if the "collector's edition" would actually be a logical next step (I'd really like to see some of the pirate's treasure).
Come to think of it ... if the pirate really did not want to have anybody find his treasure ... he shouldn't have left any clues at all ... but then there wouldn't be this fantastic game.
Mharab.

MarpleLover
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by MarpleLover on Jan 18, 11 4:14 AM
If you wish to upgrade from the SE to the CE version, check with customer service. I think there is a procedure to get a credit for your SE purchase when you decide to buy the CE version. So, you end up just paying the difference in price between the two versions.

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Jan 18, 11 2:20 PM
boscoebuddy wrote:I cannot figure out which numbers go with what symbols on the map for the cannons,. I didn't know photoshop was a requtrement for this game. I used to love the MCF games but this has really spoiled it for me. I have been stuck on cannons for 6 hrs (longer than I worked on most of the game). I realize the puzzle is random but if someone could tell me how to just group the numbers with the symbols, I would appreciaye it. I don't work this hars when I am getting paid for it. lol

You don't need photoshop. If you go back an reread the first several posts on the first page of this thread there are several different explanations on how to "read" the map (for lack of a better term. I know it's easy to get bogged down by all of the reading but there are some good explanations there.

Kudos to WilJul for putting this together. I've started the game a second time and already I can tell that my numbers are going to be a bit different. if anyone is still having trouble send me a pm & I can try to help out a little more.

bfgDonau
Flounder
Flounder
2,464 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDonau on Jan 18, 11 3:31 PM
Hi everyone!

We've decided to go ahead and pull out the glue and sticky this thread. Thanks for compiling so much helpful information WilJul!

-bfgDonau

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Jan 18, 11 6:48 PM
Thank you again, BFGDonau for the stickies!!!

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Jan 19, 11 10:40 AM
THANK YOU!!!! I was about to give up and quit! This is the the hardest puzzle I have ever encountered. I hope I never do again. I play these to take my mind off things and relax. This game had me ready to rip my hair out and scream. I like to think I am an intelligent person but this one got me Now I think I will and calm myself before my grand daughter gets home from school!

[Post New]by marg247 on Jan 19, 11 8:02 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I've finally got one up. Would you believe I was reading right to left instead of left to right?? Sends you ratty... lol

[Post New]by marg247 on Jan 20, 11 3:57 AM
I found that if you write the numbers down and to read from left to right when entering it will work. If that doesn't work, try going from right to left.
Now to find the 13th scull....This is probably the biggest challenge my brain has had for years.

sfgal
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
7 Posts

"Cannons in swamp" explanations compiled here

[Post New]by sfgal on Jan 21, 11 6:58 PM
WilJul wrote:I have compiled several different explanations for solving the "cannons in the swamp" puzzle. Perhaps one of them will be the one which makes you go "ah-hah!" (I have not credited the original posters (forgot to copy that part) I hope you all don't mind. Let me know if you do and I'll remove yours.) First a few things you should know:

* All of the solutions to the cannon puzzles are generated randomly each time the game is played. So any solutions found in the walkthrough, strategy guide, or from other players WILL NOT work in YOUR game. You must find the exact solution on your own.
* You must find all of the small pieces of the map - or stamps - before you can solve this puzzle. Once you have found the map pieces in your game they will automatically be added to your map around the left, right and top margins. There are 18 map pieces total, or 6 per cannon.
* When you zoom in to a cannon you will see a symbol on the top. Under that will be a row of six small buttons. Under those will be three buttons numbered "I", "V" and "X".
* You can zoom in on the map to see sections of it better by clicking on it twice. Click once more to zoom back out.
* Each detailed explanation is separated from the next by a row of several stars***

OK, here we go:

Zoom in on the cannon and note the symbol at the top.
Open your map. Find the corresponding symbol on the map. There will be two of them. Between those two identical symbols are six small map pieces or stamps with a small, cropped portion of the map on it. Look closely at the stamp piece and find the corresponding location on the map. At that location will be a Roman numeral. Write it down. Now find the other five roman numerals corresponding to the other five map pieces. Once you have all numerals, close your map, and pull up the cannon. Enter all six roman numerals in the order they were listed on the map (from left to right if using the top of the map pieces, and from top to bottom if using either side pieces). Once you have entered the numeral correctly one of the small buttons above the I,V,X buttons will depress. Each time you enter the correct numeral a small button will depress. Once you have entered all numerals correctly the cannon will rise, click on it to get your skulls.

Most importantly, make sure you have all of your stamps around your map. There should be no stamp-sized gaps between them. If you're missing any, then go through the game and find any unsolved puzzles.

sfgal
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
7 Posts

"Cannons in swamp" explanations compiled here

[Post New]by sfgal on Jan 21, 11 7:03 PM
WilJul wrote:I have compiled several different explanations for solving the "cannons in the swamp" puzzle. Perhaps one of them will be the one which makes you go "ah-hah!" (I have not credited the original posters (forgot to copy that part) I hope you all don't mind. Let me know if you do and I'll remove yours.) First a few things you should know:

* All of the solutions to the cannon puzzles are generated randomly each time the game is played. So any solutions found in the walkthrough, strategy guide, or from other players WILL NOT work in YOUR game. You must find the exact solution on your own.
* You must find all of the small pieces of the map - or stamps - before you can solve this puzzle. Once you have found the map pieces in your game they will automatically be added to your map around the left, right and top margins. There are 18 map pieces total, or 6 per cannon.
* When you zoom in to a cannon you will see a symbol on the top. Under that will be a row of six small buttons. Under those will be three buttons numbered "I", "V" and "X".
* You can zoom in on the map to see sections of it better by clicking on it twice. Click once more to zoom back out.
* Each detailed explanation is separated from the next by a row of several stars***

OK, here we go:

Zoom in on the cannon and note the symbol at the top.
Open your map. Find the corresponding symbol on the map. There will be two of them. Between those two identical symbols are six small map pieces or stamps with a small, cropped portion of the map on it. Look closely at the stamp piece and find the corresponding location on the map. At that location will be a Roman numeral. Write it down. Now find the other five roman numerals corresponding to the other five map pieces. Once you have all numerals, close your map, and pull up the cannon. Enter all six roman numerals in the order they were listed on the map (from left to right if using the top of the map pieces, and from top to bottom if using either side pieces). Once you have entered the numeral correctly one of the small buttons above the I,V,X buttons will depress. Each time you enter the correct numeral a small button will depress. Once you have entered all numerals correctly the cannon will rise, click on it to get your skulls.

Most importantly, make sure you have all of your stamps around your map. There should be no stamp-sized gaps between them. If you're missing any, then go through the game and find any unsolved puzzles.

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Jan 21, 11 10:07 PM
Not sure what's going on here sfgal. Did you have a question? Any chance you could delete one of those posts, they sure do take up an awful lot of space. Thanks so much!

Go to: